Geax Sturdy 29er Tire

4.52/5 (29 Reviews)
Weight : 630 grams MSRP : $39.98

As twenty-niners are slowly, but surely, being accepted by freeride/enduro fanboys, Geax continues to lead the fatty movement with category-stretching rubber like the Geax Sturdy 29in Tire. Large, well-spaced, square knobs and a soft compound offer excellent mud-shedding and tenacious traction when you're monster-trucking trough highly technical, slick terrain.

Submitted by Ericmopar a Weekend Warrior from Henderson, NV

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    They are relatively cheap.

Weaknesses:    Slow rolling.
Lack of braking traction on front, in desert conditions.
Dig in bad when crossing washes.
Knobs are already shedding off the casing, even though they are only about a month old.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Folding Sturdy, 2.25, 3D compound.

These are some of the worst tires for my riding conditions I've ever used.
They are quite literally coming apart in less than a month of riding.
I'm not using any sealants.
I'm not skidding on them.
I've just been riding some rocky terrain in the desert.

I've had tires wear early, but I've never had them actually lose knobs off the casing before.
These also have remarkably bad braking, when mounted on the front.
They also skip off scrabble, even at really low pressures, 25lb Front, 33lb Rear.
I'm also stumped by the lack of overall traction, from such a large square knobbed tire.
The only place they shined, was on smooth hard rock. They stuck like they were glued to sections like that.

For desert riding, I'm only giving 3 and 2 Chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis; Advantage, Ardent, Minion DHF, Highrollers.
Kenda; Kinectics.
Continental; Survival Pro, Diesel.

Bike Setup:   All Mountain.

Submitted by HHMTB a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, excellent traction, large air volume, accurate sizing, and long wearing.

Weaknesses:    Most shops don't stock them so few people know how good they are leading me to be afraid that Geax might stop making them.

Bottom Line:
I love these tires. I only use them on the rear so I don't know how they are as a steering tire, but they are top notch for the back. They last about a year and a half before they start losing braking power, and this is with riding 3-4 times a week year around (maybe 2500 miles) over all kinds of trails.

What else? Smooth transition in turns. They climb over anything. The huge air volume lets me run 30 psi without pinch flats, even when blitzing through rock gardens or doing bigger drops (I'm 185lbs with gear). The lower pressure gives better comfort and bite. One of them took a big nail in the middle of the tread and after changing the tube was still fine for hundreds more miles. Knobs don't tear off like Maxxis or wear in 10 rides like Kenda. Sidewalls don't rip like IRC. They are true to advertised size unlike Panaracer, Maxxis, IRC, and Kenda. They're fairly light for the size/durability.

Favorite Trail:   Telonics

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis (High Roller, Mobster, Holy Roller), Kenda (Kinetics 2.6), Panaracer (Smoke, Dart, Fire XC, Fire FR), Hutchinson (Python), IRC (Piranha, Mythos, Kujo), Specialized (Chunder, Ground Control, More Extreme, Umma Gumma), Geax (Sedona), and WTB (Weirwolf 2.5, Motoraptor 2.4, Mutanoraptor 2.4) and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Fury. 5" travel front and rear. Set up for All Mountain and light freeride (no drops over 5')

Submitted by bikerx40 a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Durable and long lasting. Rolls alright for such a large profile tire. Withstands really sharp rocks. Braking is good due to squarish profile and center tread. Holds air very well and inflates with a hand pump (ust version).

Weaknesses:    Heavy (UST), edge grip breaks away unpredictably on hardpack to loose over hardpack.

Bottom Line:
This is for the UST version:

Long lasting, durable tire that rolls pretty well, but breaks away unpredictably on hardpack or loose over hardpack. Better as a rear tire than a front tire, but hard compound slips on logs, wood bridges, etc. On the positive side, this tire has lasted nearly a year and is still usable as a backup tire. The tire holds air really well and mounts up without the typical UST tire fuss.

Overall, the performance of this tire in our desert-like climate brings my rating down to 2 turds.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Specialized Resolution, Geax Sedona 2.25, WTB Mutanoraptor, WTB Motoraptor, Maxxis DHF, Maxxis High Roller

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Marz Z1 SL, full SRAM X9, XT cranks, DT 5.1 rims with tubeless kits, Hadley & King hubs.

Submitted by phaed a Cross Country Rider from underhill, vt

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    conditions here are so changable that its hard to say any tire can do it all, but this is close. in dry weather, this tire does it all - corners in packed, gravel or loose, grips on almost anything - roots, rocks, name it. in wet weather, the nobs are big enough to hold in mud that stalls everything else. they'll hold on wet roots and slick ups, but wet slimy rocks are still beyond anything i've tried. its pretty fat, so it gives the ti hardtail some hookup and little de - bump. i don't do big hits but i've never had a pinch flat - even weighing 185. the roll is not bad on hard pack dirt roads. haven't done much pavement - that's what the road bike is for.

Weaknesses:    heavy and fat, not cheap, hard to find locally, which i can't figure out, cause they work

Bottom Line:
4.5 flamers - get some

Favorite Trail:   vasacomber

Purchased At:   ? wish I could find the receipt

Similar Products Used:   panaracer smoke and dart, velociraptors for front and rear, and lots of lesser cr_p.

Bike Setup:   run a fat ti hardtail with a marz 75mm travel front with sturdy 2.1" on both ends.

Submitted by Davin a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2007

Strengths:    Solid tire, runs forever before tread wears down!! Sidewalls wore out before the tread!

Weaknesses:    Tight turns are bad!! you will slide out if you don't drop your PSI to stick to rocks

Bottom Line:
Good tires, I use them on and off road (I know you shouldn't but I ride everywhere...), I have slid out on concrete and asphalt, loose gravel on the mountain but I think these things are more because of my abilities than the tires, when going straight down and fast-awesome tires! I have even been using them for dirt jumping and they hold a line pretty well! They have a nice hum on the street when you pass road bikers too. Yes, you read that right. I ride the 2.25's, with spin skins and downhill tubes (steel standard valves) and couldn;t ask for a better tire to ride fast on! Very pleased, very cushiony with PSI lowered too!

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain-all of them

Purchased At:   Tempe Bike

Similar Products Used:   Geax, Piranah pros, IRC's, Kenda's

Bike Setup:   Haro X1, Comp Z forks, Raceface cranks...etc.

Submitted by Tee Asava a Weekend Warrior from bangkok Thailand

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    agressive look for tough bike, strong side wall and good sticky on dry condition hard to flat

Weaknesses:    look may not suit to all, side knob could shed mud better than this. more color on the side wall will sizzle the look

Bottom Line:
i switch to this instead of the light weight maxxis tyre. they are a lot harder to flat. i think it has to do with bigger knob and stronger tyre casing. if you can forget about the weight it is a very nice tire. mine weigh about 760 grams on 2.25 compare to maxxis 490 grams 2.0

Purchased At:   siambike

Similar Products Used:   maxxis flyweight

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro comp 05

Submitted by dulyebr a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    This review is for the 2.25 UST version used as a rear only.

TRACTION!!!
Uses triple compound with the highest durometer in the center knobs (60a) middle (55a) and outside knobs are soft and sticky (50a).

Weaknesses:    advertised at 850g was 924g. But, I expected this since I had already read reviews about this tire that included actual weight.

Bottom Line:
Best rear tire I've ever used. Incredible traction, rolls well, great volume, it's heavy but who cares -- it's great!

Favorite Trail:   Porc

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.1 UST - wore out too fast as a rear.

Bike Setup:   2005 Med. Titus MotoLite (w/FR lowers & DHX-air 5.0), Chris King hubs (w/fun bolts) & headset, Mavic XM819s, Pike 454 Air U-Turn, Enduro Martas 180/160mm w/Goodridge braided lines, FSA carbon xc-riser, XT cranks, front der. & 11-32 cassette, Sram X.9 triggers & X.0 med rear der., Thomson 90mm 0 deg. stem & seatpost, WTB Rocket V Stealth, Oury Lock-On grips

Submitted by Darren Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent grip on all surfaces, resistant to pinch flats, no tyre roll, even on road, cheep tyre.

Weaknesses:    A Little heavy if you are not using the foldable type, but for the price it's great.

Bottom Line:
For the price, a great tyre, lasts a long time, I gave them a good hammering on the Slick Rock trail Moab on a recient US trip, and they were great. Excellent in the New Zealand conditions of mud, rian, slippery single track.

Favorite Trail:   Makara Peak, Wellington

Purchased At:   VIC Cycles, Lower Hutt

Similar Products Used:   All sorts..... too many to list

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC1, XT spec... two wheels, seat etc.

Submitted by Gervais Alkins a Cross Country Rider from Tobago, The Caribbean

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    I've been running one of these on the rear of my hardtail, and what can I say. Incredible!!Never gotten a pinch,yet! I've run them on wet, rainforest single track...work like a charm! On lose, gravel road downhills they've just killed it! Looks like a 2.4.A work of art. Rolls decent for such a large carcass.

Weaknesses:    Can't buy 'em dis part of d world.2 big at times for my old shimano v's in the rear.Not for people who like a bit of tarmac on their rides, way too big.

Bottom Line:
I'm gonna order some more of these ASAP. They're the best all conditions rear tire I've ever used.I may try one up in front. I'm gonna keep on using the Geax Sturdy till I find another tire to sweep me off my cleats.

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Peak, SoCal

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Knarly and WTB Motoraptor 2.4.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo 2000, wit a really old RockShox Judy race fork.

Submitted by scott silvers a Cross Country Rider from plymouth michigan

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    It's a round carcas, so for all you riders sportin the rectangular type carcas - this tire really has a smooth feel to the steering inputs....And, it's really light for a big volume 2.25 tire. I wasn't expecting such an enormous increase in cornering grip - I am really shocked by how this thing grips in the front! It's dry in michigan right now, so we got hard pack, with a light dusting of dirt on top, w/ sections of sandy corners here and there, along with bits of rock and root - this tire just exceeds all my expectations - I have to reset my cornering to get used to the extra grip - but it rolls with remarkably little rolling resistance, I don't get it!!! Totally unexpected! I think I found my favorite tire ever!

The best part is, it really is nice when riding no handed - very stable!

Weaknesses:    People think you are a freak for running such an imposing tire.

Bottom Line:
I really don't see how one could get a better tire for just trail riding and playing around on a bike....this tire just plain excells at anything you throw at it and it won't tire you out pushing it around.

Favorite Trail:   potowotomi

Purchased At:   www.bicycletires.com

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Hot-S 2.2 my favorite up til now - I hadn't realized how easily it lets go at the limit, until now.

Bike Setup:   turner 5-spot, z1 fr....platforms....blah.blah..

Submitted by Agam Sharda a Weekend Warrior from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Fat, big
Good in almost conditions (loses a bit on wet rock and ice)
As big (almost) as my Nokian NBX 2.5

Weaknesses:    Lasts forever - no reason to change

Bottom Line:
If you can find it, buy it. Forget about tire changes after that.

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles, Acottsdale

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much everything. Only thing that comes close is the Geax Blade 2.25

Bike Setup:   Nicolai Helius FR
Titus FCR
Sycip Custom Unleaded

Submitted by spooky817 a Cross Country Rider from adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Fast, good grip in wet and dry, lasts FOR EVER!

Weaknesses:    Little heavy for my likings

Bottom Line:
This is the tyre I use for all my XC riding (wxcept races), comuting, training and riding but racing. It is not light enough for a XC race tyre, but has all the strengths of an 5star XC all round tyre. It's the only tyre i use on my xc bikr (part from races). Even on the raod it's rolling resistance is absolutely minimal and lasts for EVER!

Purchased At:   Mega Bike, Adelaide

Bike Setup:   XC race bike, small forks or rigid.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Grip, mud shedding

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is my first "BIG" tire, and I was very skeptical. It has performed very well. With all the rain we've gotten here in VA, it's impossible to not ride in some mud, and this tire sheds everything almost instantly. It does extremely well in sand, hard pack. . . just about everything I've thrown at it. And even with only 20lbs in the tire, no pinch-flats. It doesn't roll super-smooth, but after all, it's a BIG tire.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Tons of tires

Bike Setup:   Custom Ventana El Saltamontes, 'Zoke FR SL, Romic, etc.

Submitted by Flying Wombat from Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    long lasting
good grip
puncture resistant
high volume

Weaknesses:    some bikes may not have the tire clearance

Bottom Line:
Tough, durable tires that handle Arizona conditions well (loose rock, sand, decomposing granite)
I can get from 4-6 months out of the rear tire. I can fit them easily into the back end of the spot, but many bikes cant handle the high profile. When setting them up they inflate well with a floor pump, dont lose any air, and with some Stan's added they dont puncture easily. The only punctures I have had were a slow leak from running over barbed wire (it patched up fine) and after the patch when I forgot to add the Stans.

Similar Products Used:   conti vertical pro's
Maxxis Highrollers
Hutchinson Scorpion

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-spot, running 2.25UST on Mavic Crossmax XL's

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    Great grip, big volume.

Weaknesses:    Make sure it fits your frame...

Bottom Line:
Swapped these for the Mythos I was running with (hated them)and they have been great! Big volume tire so you have to make sure it will fit your frame (I have the 2.25). They roll suprisingly well and grip like crazy. I almost went back to the Smoke's for the rear but I am not disappointed with these at all. I ride mainly technical singletrack with rocks, roots etc... and these give me way more confidence than the Mythos I had. They are good in mud but since they are so big, it doesn't take much for mud to get stuck between the rear tire and the frame (at the back). I don't ride in mud that much so I don't care. If you're and aggresive rider or if you do some light freeride, I would definetely recommed these. They're tough, grip like crazy and roll very well.