Geax Gato TNT 29er Tire

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The Gato was designed for maximum grip and control in wet and loose conditions.....

Submitted by personaX a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2014

Strengths:    Volume, tubeless characteristics

Weaknesses:    Grip, weight

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2.3" TNT version on sale last year and was planning to use it as a front tire after the summer when things get wet and slippery ;)

Well, the tire pattern promises a lot but the rubber compound let's this tire down. This tire is just plain scary on wet rocks and roots. This is the only tire I've used that had the tendency to let go without any warning on off camber rocks. I went down numerous times as a result. Then I switched this on the back but that was maybe even worse. There's just no grip on anything moist and the tire is sliding side to side constantly.

On dry grounds this is a rideable tire but a bit overkill for where I ride. That said, I especially purchased this tire as a late fall/early winter tire and it's just not up to the task in moist/wet conditions. That's why I'm giving it only 2 chilis.

Purchased At:   on-one.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" EVO SnakeSkin, Bontrager 2.35" 29-3 Team Issue front

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Rumblefish One

Submitted by joe_bloe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Price, traction, still rolls well, great sidewalls, sets up great on non-tubeless rims.

Weaknesses:    Almost impossible to mount on BST (Stan's profile) rims.

Bottom Line:
I decided to try these tires as a replacement for Maxxis Ardent LUST 29ers. I have the Ardents on some Sun Ringlé Charger Pro's (same rim profile as Stan's Flows). I simply could not get the Gatos on the rim. Another reviewer states that he was able to do it, but it was extremely difficult. I didn't want to take the chance that I wouldn't be able to get them off in case I needed a field repair.

So, the Gatos were relegated to a set of cheap Mavic 317's. I'd been wanting to set these rims up as ghetto tubeless, using gorilla tape. Couldn't get the gorilla tape to work, so I just used Stan's yellow tape. With the slightly tight bead on the Gatos, this setup works perfectly. These are now my mud wheels, switching back and forth between my single speed and my FS trail bike. Fast, great grip, and I've not had a sidewall problem yet, even though I take these things through some sharp rocks in the Frederick Watershed. If I could get these tires onto BST rims, I'd never buy the Ardents again.

Favorite Trail:   Salamander @ Frederick Watershed

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent 29er 2.25 LUST

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 29, Mavic TN317 rims, Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti fork

Submitted by vt29er a All Mountain Rider from hartland,Vt

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Traction, Traction, Traction. Rolls very well for a open knobby design. Rolls and grabs much better than the rampage's I replaced them with. Great in spring conditions and once the trails dried out. Running front and rear and cornering is incredible. Well made except for one serious weakness...

Weaknesses:    This was the MOST difficult tire to get onto a rim that I've ever experienced and I've installed 100's ( worked/ran bike shop for 12 years). Words can't describe it. Maybe it was the rim, STANS FLOW set up tubeless, and I hope thats the case but it could be a deal breaker for some lightweights. I'm 6'3", 220 and it took all I had, after 2 pedros levers snapped and 1 broken quick stik I was able to get them on. Once on they sealed up tubeless in seconds with zero leakage which was nice. I flatted on the trail and had to pull the tire off which I was dreading but surprisingly they popped on and off easily. Back home when I pulled the tire to fix a small tear they shrunk back to original diameter and were almost impossible to put on again. Regardless, once on they work so well I will be replacing with the same.

Bottom Line:
I punctured one tire on some very sharp rocks, was not the tires fault, and the sealant was unable to fix it. even with the installation difficulties I will be buying a new one. Running WTB Wierwolf LT 2.55's on Surly now, another awesome tire which due to contrary belief are still made and for sale

Favorite Trail:   the one nobody else is on