Geax Barro Race 29 29er Tire

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Hard-packed, dry conditions call for a set of fast-rolling Geax Barro Race 29in Tires. Race-tuned all the way down to the thread count, rubber compound, and knob profile, the Barro Race Tire puts down ultra-fast times when the conditions are right.TNT: Tubenotube technology uses a Talon bead that grips both standard and UST rims, use in conjunction with Pit Stop latex sealant for added puncture resistanceTNT: reinforced sidewalls and a high tread count ensure puncture resistanceXC Casing uses a 120tpi nylon casing for ultra-low rolling resistance and a super-low weight (450g) not tubeless compatibleAramid Racing 3D compound is modified from the standard 3D compound for reduced rolling resistance and weight

Submitted by RichSTL

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    Very fast rolling and predictable in turns on hard pack. Transitions nicely as it is leaned over. Surprisingly good on wet rock or grit because thread is so low it seems to get a lot of contact but not load up. Because it was what I had that was new, I rolled with this one at Syllamos Revenge this year, and it was wet and heinous and most everyone else had more beef up front, understandably. No flats and no more slipping around than everyone else. Had to do one save in a loose gravely corner. Raced it on hardpack in a short track format, which was mostly singletrack and twisty and it went where I wanted to go and really rolls well.

Weaknesses:    Narrow tire makes me ride a little cautiously whenever in a loose turn. Lower volume makes for a less cushy ride. Because the tread is low, it looks like a one season race tire to me.

Bottom Line:
I got it cheap at a swap meet, mounted it and thought it was too small, but so far it's been a fast and reliable tire with predictable handling up front. Surprisingly OK in wet conditions that are not tire-loading. But there's no way I'd pay a c note for any tire. I got mine for $25 and the guy thought I was the sucker. I think he missed fhe boat.

Submitted by Charles H

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    price was right

Weaknesses:    I had to use steel to get these on and the pressure was so great to get them on that i got a hairline crack in my rim. I'm no novice. I raced expert prior to having kids. I had high hopes but I was left down.

Bottom Line:
I will never buy this brand again. Too hard to get on. Don't do it!

Submitted by Tomasd a Weekend Warrior from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Real size

Bottom Line:
I am new in mountain biking, and I do not know whether these tires are good or bad. I purchased them because of their weight, they are lighter than the stock Bontragers. What suprised me was the real size when I mounted them on the stock Bontrager Duster wheels - instead of 52mm they are only 46mm. If I knew that, I would hesitate whether to buy them. Even though considering that I ride mostly on roads, XC, it is not bad. Due to their weight they are thin, I wonder how durable they will be (both defect-prone, wear-out).

Favorite Trail:   Prague - Kralupy

Similar Products Used:   Swalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25, Bontrager XDX 29x2.1

Bike Setup:   GF X-Caliber - Bontrager Duster wheels

Submitted by 55rpmasher a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls fast!!! Hooks up pretty well in dry conditions. Volume is deceptive, feels bigger than it is.

Weaknesses:    To heavy, however the sidewalls are tough so cuts are minimal, fast wearing tread

Bottom Line:
Pretty happy with these so far. The bead is TIGHT prepare for a fight to get them on. Set up tubeless easy as I have the TNT version. I would be real happy if they did a 2.1 or 2.2 in TNT with less rigid sidewalls at around 625 grams. 660 grams for a 2.0 is a bit on the chunky side but I wanted realibility as last year the Racing Ralphs caused more problems and DNF's than anything else I have ever used. Roll fast but you have to lean over hard to get to the side knobs be warned!

Favorite Trail:   Falcon, BHP