CST Rock Hawk 29er Tire

The Rock Hawk from CST features an aggressive tread pattern with large, well-spaced lugs. This spacing allows the tire to shed mud and other debris on mountain bike trails with varying conditions. In order to help reduce rolling resistance, the center knobs have been ramped.

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2016

Strengths:    Grip, grip, grip! These tires performed tremendously during a 24 hour race in a very rocky, roots, muddy area. I felt very confident diving into corners and climbing.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and slow (due to great grip).

Bottom Line:
I was able to purchase these tires for about $20 each and they definitely are worth the money. They are slow rolling, but inspire great confidence! You can count on these tires in dicey, rough conditions

Favorite Trail:   Bay Park West

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters I

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Maxxis ADvantage, WTB Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   2012 Cannondale Scalpel 4 (double boinger) 29er

Submitted by ly a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2016

Strengths:    Great traction, handle abuse, rare punctures, roll pretty well, look great.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, hard to bead up on tubeless.

Bottom Line:
Really like these tires, run a 29 by 2.4 up front and 29 by 2.25 rear. Run the folding in a tubeless configuration (Very hard to get these to bead, once beaded, not a single problem) Been running these tires 2 mo's (25 miles per week) and tread still looks new(by contrast, trashed a set of Conti Xkings in 3 months) these tires havr great traction, I can really lean the bike in turns. As a matter of fact, had get used to how sharp these turn in. So far they hv Been great all around tires, gravel, rock gardens, dusty loose trails, and mud. They have handled everything I have thrown at them. Paid 60.00 for "both" including shipping, a great price. While just slightly heavier than most comparable tires, these tires can handle some abuse, not a puncture yet. One drawback is These tires throw alot of rocks. Overall, very very happy with my Rockhawks. Great bang for the buck

Favorite Trail:   Mad Cow Trail (El Paso TX)

Duration Product Used:   2.5 months

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Continental X-Kings, Geax Saguaros

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone 29er.

Submitted by Michael Yaeger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2016

Strengths:    29x2.4" width available! Kevlar folding bead. Excellent grip, especially in wet, muddy, or tacky conditions. Extremely durable. Nearly puncture-proof.

Weaknesses:    As others have stated, these are one of the heaviest tires you can buy, especially the 29x2.4. They are not TCS (tubeless ready). A little slower rolling than some other designs. The folding bead causes the tire to "flatten" when off the rim, making it harder to seat on the rim than a traditional wire bead.

Bottom Line:
I've got the folding version of these tires in a 2.4 front / 2.25 rear setup on my 29er. As I began to get more experienced in MTB, my power and speed increased. However, there were two areas holding me back: climbing and cornering. I found that the more power I put to the trail on steep climbs, the more I started to spin out. Also, the increased speed I was taking corners at was causing me to loose grip and nearly washout. I found myself holding back in these two areas. So, I went with this setup to inspire confidence, despite the fact that they would be much slower than my factory 1.95" tires. Plus, they were 1/3 the price of a name brand. These tires have proved their worth for what I needed!

Favorite Trail:   Enterprise South Nature Park