CST Caballero Comp 29er Tire

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

CST Compressor Comp TireThe CST Compressor is a fast-rolling, single-compound road tire designed to last many miles.FeaturesDurable 27 tpi casingWire beadClincher tirePublished weight 315 gramsMax 120 psi

Submitted by Bsurfer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Price (after shipping paid around $32 for the pair)
Traction/Cornering
Hookupability
Seem very durable, but only 1 ride so far

Weaknesses:    Weight (but I knew that going into it)
Slow starters

Bottom Line:
Just got back into mountain biking and bought these as a cheap "upgrade" from the stock GEAX Saguaros that came on my Jamis Dragon 29er Sport. I ride almost exclusively (many hobbies/limited time) at a place close to home known extremely technical terrain. Lots of rock gardens, roots and nasty little climbs. The Saguaros are more of a racing tire (IMO) and with their smallish knobs were washing out around corners (in dry conditions) or slipping on roots/leaves/rocks on "moister" rides. Now granted, I have only ridden these tires once, but on my very first ride, my far more talented riding bud noticed a big difference. I was making sections with relative ease that have been challenging, if not maddening in the past, and leaning into turns far more aggressively than on any previous ride (my first 29er, so am still tentative around the sharp corners). Additionally - and maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I'd swear - even with the recommended min. 40 PSI, they gave me a cushier, less jarring ride through the bumps. My only critique is that the weight does tend to make them slower out of the gate, whether coming to a complete stop or slowing down through the babyheads. But the tradeoff is that I feel way more at ease going full speed than I ever did on the Saguaros, so the end result is I am riding faster overall. Actually had to slow down a few times for my normally-speedier aforementioned compadre! Ha! Hey at the price I paid I am stoked! If they continue to impress and wear well I will go tubeless and shed a bit of weight there.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock, Exeter, NH

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Stock 2012 Jamis Dragon 29er Sport.

Submitted by CRUM a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap - Rugged as Hell - and they hook up great. I especially like that the predictability is the same no matter the conditions or angle of the tire. They feel the same whether leaning into a corner or trying to step up or through technical rock sections. Also because of the seriously rugged sidewalls, I was able to run them at about 15 to 20 PSI with tubes.

Weaknesses:    They are boat anchors. Very heavy. 900 plus grams for the Wire Bead version. Don't know about the folder as I have moved onto other tires to test.

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck, nothing out there touches this tire.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on

Purchased At:   CRUM Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nothing out there this cheap that is also this good

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Ti 29er with mostly SRAM Drivetrain and XO Grip shift. Rigid IRD Fork, American Classic hubs laced to Velocity Blunts.

Submitted by zenkem a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2011

Strengths:    Though, resists snake bites and easy to set up Tubeless

Weaknesses:    Heavy but worth the penalty (thus one chili mark down)

Bottom Line:
Been running these tires Tubeless since last Feb. 2011 with no problems what so ever. I hardly ever have to put air in 'em even though I check 'em before every ride. Primarily ride on rocky, rooty wet/dry muddy/sandy Single Track and some asphalt here in Germany. I'm creeping up on 2k miles and the front tire still has plenty of tred while the back is worn enough to minimize rolling resistance. I think I'll save it for next summer...well worth the $32 I paid for the pair!!!

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm Riding