Continental X-King 29 29er Tire

3.7/5 (10 Reviews)

The Topeak Ergon pro team collaborated with Continental in the creation of the X-King 29-inch Tire, and as a result, have ridden them to success after success. Fast but full of grip, the X-King rolls smoothly and quietly despite its pronounced knobs, making it the ultimate all-around tire for...

Submitted by Ace5high

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    Traction, Tubeless Bead, SPPEEEDDDD

Weaknesses:    Sidewall are hard to seal tubeless, low volume

Bottom Line:
Im reviewing the 29x2.2 RaceSport Version. Do not listen to those who say they don't hold air tubeless, thats simply not true. They do however require proper sealing with sealant. These are not UST tires and if you don't know how to take the time to seal sidewalls correctly than you shouldn't be running tubeless ready anyway. That said these take extra time to totally seal up the sidewalls (Race Sport Version only). The bead is amazing, its close to that of a UST bead and feels extremely secure. Traction is more than you would expect from small knobs and bests something like the Maxxis Ikon by a LONG shot in traction especially cornering.

The speed of the racesport is really unbelievable, this could be the fastest tire ive ever run on the rear.., It both rolls and spins up like mad. Mine weighted in at 540grams and Ive heard the reacsports combing in even lower...

One other note is that they are on the "very" small side, smaller than my 2.1 ignitors for example... I am not missing the extra volume due to its overall great handling properties but if its a "large volume" your looking for this might not be right for you. If SPEED and GRIP are your concerns than get these now.

Submitted by MoPhobia a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2013

Strengths:    Actually doesn't hook up badly in the brief time you can ride 'em before the air leaks out

Weaknesses:    Leak constantly, not close to being as wide as they claim.

Bottom Line:
These are Conti 29er XKing 2.4's. First, these "2.4" tires measured just over 2.0 at the casing and about 2.2 with the knobs. Conti says they are tubeless ready with the addition of sealant. No way! One tire seated well and holds air reasonable well. The other leaks constantly from numerous pin holes along the sidewall. You can ride about 3 miles, fast, before it is under 10 lbs. I tried Stan's, Cafe Latex and Trek TLR sealant. Nothing worked. I filled it with sealant numerous times, left it horizontally overnight for several nights, shook it, bounced it, rolled it, rode it - nada. You can see the sealant leaking out, several holes close and new ones open up. Conti's website also says these are "made in Germany" (only the UST version is supposed to be made in "Asia") No way, again. The tires are stamped "made in India." I didn't know this until they arrived and I read it. I finally called Conti's US distributor: Highway Two. They were rude and said they aren't designed to be run tubeless. I said Conti's website says differently. They said that must be a "mistake." I also said Conti's website states they are made in Germany and these are from India. The rep said that doesn't matter because the tires are stamped correctly as made in India. I said that doesn't help Internet buyers. The rep said that is what I get for buying from the Internet. I asked about warranty and was told they don't honor warranty claims from consumers, only shops and distributors!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   401, Balck Mountain, Mo Heinous, Betty Heinous

Duration Product Used:   1 mo

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Many different tires. WTB and Kenda make universally good tires and provide good customer service.

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan w/ Fox suspension and high end components.

Submitted by brian

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    light, decent traction and good wear

Weaknesses:    as a front tire only modest cornering confidence

Bottom Line:
solid tire overall if not going to get into heavy technical or high speed turns that a washout would be more than just a fall.

Submitted by RollingThunder

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Strengths:    Good balance between traction and rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Narrow: 2.2 = 2.0

Bottom Line:
I just wore one of these out in the desert on the rear. Ran a "2.2" tubless. It lasted a little longer than the last few different tires I ran in the back. Also had flats a little less often than other recent tires. As others have noted, the 2.2 is really 2.0. They run narrow. Now you know, so don't act surprised if you order one online! Overall, I thought it performed well as a rear tire in central AZ. I never really thought about it much which means it was doing its job. Good balance between traction and speed. However, I really do want a 2.2 in the back so I just mounted up a Specialized Captain Control 2.2 in the back to see how that goes instead of buying another one of these. If they really made a 2.2, I might stick with this one!

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly 29 hardtail

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Nice rear tire, lots of little knobs which have some grip but keep traction going. I especially like this tire during downhill time. Fast roller, it does inspire confidence at 25-28 psi and pushes you to follow the line.

Weaknesses:    Heavy at 700grs. No sidewall extra protection on normal tires, they had to make a special tire for that. It does not brake as good as other tires but holds the line much greater if you slow down just half speed. Slow at braking.

Bottom Line:
It is a great rear company of the mk 2. I would definitely NOT use it as front tire. Why would you do that? (not light, does not have enough grip, does not corner as well as other contis)

Submitted by Steve NMI a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Strengths:    Roll smooth and fast, good grip, wear well

Weaknesses:    Loose conditions, sand-mud

Bottom Line:
I gave these great value because they were equiped on my 2012 Mamasita. These tires roll very well in my conditions, upland forest cross country. I run a fair amount of pressure in them 25-28 psi but they wear very well. I have probably 300 miles on them and the nips have just barely started to come off the center knobs. They also have really good grip in corners they have only worried me in loose corners but otherwise extremely stable. I would replace them with the same, predictable and good wear.

Submitted by supersleeper a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    It is made by Continental tires. Looks good

Weaknesses:    I simply cannot start to like this tire. It reminds me of the reason I disliked the Mountain King. It feels as if this tire(front) does not hook up or bite into anything. No controlled slide either. One gets the feeling that the tire bounces off obstacles. This side knobs are too soft and small. And I have tried it at many different pressures. It is a good sand tire. But thats it.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden many tires with low grip. Like Crossmarks, Larsen TT's. And Smallblock 8's. Also Spesh LK tires. They are not known for their ability as a front tire. They slide.
With the Xking it feels as it grips, then it bounces me off. I do not like this.

Bike Setup:   SC Highball, Crest wheels and XT gruppo.

Submitted by tbaier

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
Good grip
Decent mud shedding ability

Weaknesses:    Size not as advertised
Thin sidewalls don't inspire confidence

Bottom Line:
This review is mainly to note that the Conti sizing is WAY off. I have the 2.2 size and on the rim it is much smaller than claimed. In fact, the casing measures 51.5mm = 2.0in. on my American Classic rims. They are smaller than a 2.1 Crossmax and 2.1 Nanoraptor by a fair bit. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone was trying to decide on sizes. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed as I bought this to replace a 2.2 Saguaro on the front of my bike and its way too small (and possibly fragile) for that task. I wish someone had told me the sizes were so off - I would have gone to the 2.4. It has been relegated to rear tire duty.

I haven't had these tires long, so I can't say too much about their performance. They seated tubeless very easily but did have some pinhole leaks as many have noted. Use a lot of Stans. (Some have noted that adding glitter helped.)

Submitted by RMcjd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very predictable. Great on hardpack with no perceptable squirm. Very good in leaves over hardpack. Very good braking control while descending. Great as a front on my rigid in the 2.4 size. Nice volume.

Weaknesses:    Took awhile to seal tubeless with many sidewall pinholes. It is not tubeless ready so the tire can hardly be faulted for that. Not as big as the 2.4 Racing Ralph or as light.

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire to replace the 29-3 I was running on the front of my rigid SS. I have only used this as a front tire and have reviewed it as such. I wanted something with more volume at a decent price that had some bite. I have not been dissapointed. Although not as big as the 2.4 Racing Ralph, which I"ve also used, it still has decent volume with significantly more bite. It is also not much heavier. The casing is very supple when run tubeless and tire tracks very well for Manitoba singletrack (Think clay based soil with roots). The braking and cornering are all top notch for the trails in my area. It goes in the direction I point it and that's all I ask. I did have problems with the sidewalls refusing to seal initially (many pinholes), but was good to go after a day or so. This problem was the same thing I experienced with a tubeless ready Rocket Ron so I don't count anything against it. I didn't have any problems seating the bead with a floor pump and this must be considered a plus to this tire. A great tire at a decent price.

Favorite Trail:   Lake minnewasta

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   29-3, Racing Ralph 2.4 & 2.25, Rocket Ron all on the Front.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey run ss. White bros carbon fork. Stan's 355 rims on Hope hubs built by lacemine29.

Submitted by seandm a Weekend Warrior from Rio Verde, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls faster than any tire I have ever used.
Hooks Up decently Well

Weaknesses:    Is a PITA to get it to seal up tubeless
Somewhat Heavy.

Bottom Line:
The best thing to happen to 29 tires since sliced Bread!
Rolls fast and hookups with the best of them.
Tons of Volume for a 2.2 tire.
I would rate this right up there with the Ikons, RaRa and RoRo's as a fast roller with good grip.
A real pain to get them to seal though, i had to lay them on their side overnight to let the sealant plug the little pinholes that kept spewing stans as i was airing them up. Took about 3 days to get the rear to seal, but once it did it was go time!

Favorite Trail:   Mcd's