Continental Race King 29 29er Tire

3.31/5 (13 Reviews)

If you find that standing on top is more rewarding that sullenly swilling beers in the parking lot, the Continental Race King 29-inch Tire is for you. Providing a low-profile pattern that rolls fast and is able to handle just about any terrain or condition, the Race King is the perfect package...

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Cont Race King RaceSport / Black Chili Compound / 180tpi:
very fast rolling, supple, mostly enough grip for XC/marathon, work very well with latex tubes

Weaknesses:    narrow gap for good working air pressure (~1.8 - 2.1 bar on 19mm Rim and ~80kg),
brittle sidewalls after ~3000km

Bottom Line:
Used theses tires on a hardtail front and rear with latex tubes. No problems with flat tires so far but after about 4 months of use there was wear in kind of exposed fibres visible at the sidewalls. After 9 months I had to throw away the rear tire because of a ~1cm crack in the sidewall. The latex tube held up the air so far.

On pavement I am nearly as fast as with my race bike (certainly not the best tires on there!).
On trails I am faster with a grippier front tire (e.g. Schwalbe Rocket Ron)
Next time I will try fast XC tires with more durable sidewalls, maybe Maxxis Crossmark UST on Mavic UST rims.

Purchased At:   http://www.outdoor-b

Similar Products Used:   Front: Rocket Ron
Rear: Racing Ralph

Bike Setup:   29er Hardtail

Submitted by ron

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Low rolling resistence. Fast xc tire.

Weaknesses:    Terrible value. I currently have <150 miles on the tires and the belts/threads are showing through on the side walls. They just don't seem worth the money they cost. A friend who also runs the tires in Cat 1 has told me of several DNF races due to flats or tears in the side walls.

Bottom Line:
If I could go back and purchase a different tire, I would. $100 set of tires. 150 miles till belts are showing through the side walls. Equals to .66 cents per mile. Also, the miles were not in a rocky terrain area. I live in Dallas and most of the trails are clay based xc.

Submitted by JW King a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    Speed, weight.

Weaknesses:    cornering, stability.

Bottom Line:
I ride a liteville 301, on 650b RR, and had a lot off different tires. Now on my new Niner Air 9 RDO, I tried the Race King's.
At first I thought a had a flat tire, after a few miles, the rear wheel drifted a few times, on the technical trails, and in the fast corners. I am riding them with 1.9bar, and my weight is 84 kilo's.
The second ride during our training, in a 160 corner, I put some more weight on the front wheel to sweep the back side around the corner, and the frond tire ran of the rim, so I ruined my frond wheel! I tried the X-king, good grip, but these were to heavy.
Now the guy's from the shop gave me the S-works Renegate's, and replaced my front wheel (all for free). Now I feel in control again, and I can take the corners at full speed again. I will keep these, for sure!

Favorite Trail:   Ischgl, Berina pas

Duration Product Used:   4 weeks

Purchased At:   Sector2Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Swalbe: Racing Ralph, Rocked Ron, Nibby Nick
Continental: X-king

Bike Setup:   Niner air 9 RDO, BOR 366Wheels, Sram XX1, brakes: Sram XX, tires: S-works Renegate, Fork: Niner carbon.
Liteville 301, DT-Swiss 240 650Bwheels, Sram XO 3X10, Tires: Swalbe Racing Ralph, Fork: Fox 120mm.

Submitted by adub1978

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Strengths:    roll quickly and mount up tubeless style easily

Weaknesses:    paper thin sidewalls. less than three hours ride time and the rear was shot

Bottom Line:
I am not a bulldog on my bike. I am a finesse rider and don't barrel over everything on the trail. I have run maxxis ikons fr and rr for over a year with one puncture that was fixable. that tire is still running strong today. on the race king I went out for my second ride and tore a big hole in the sidewall while riding up a trail with little to no obstacles/rocks/roots. stan's did not seal it and I will not be replacing it with another race king. if it is replaced under warrantee (and I hope it is) it will be a backup tire, but I will never put this on my bike unless I am in a pinch. not recommended.
I am not a burly guy either. 150 lbs and I was running 28 psi in the rr

Submitted by lotusoperandi a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls fast, rides smooth, ultra soft with high volume for rigid riders like myself, relatively lightweight, not too expensive

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Took a chance on this tire for my fully rigid Niner MCR9 with Niner carbon fork and am very happy I did. I've been running Panaracer Ramages 2.35 front and rear (and these are great tires mind you) but wanted to explore a tire in the rear with a little less rolling resistance. I'm running it tubeless on Stan's rims (355's) and the tire mounted easily with a floor pump and is holding air just fine. The thing that stands out for me is that this tire is "softer" than the Rampages. The compound seems to have a little more compliancy which is important for adding a little more plushness to my rigid ride. As far as traction goes out of the saddle climbing was not a problem at all...maybe a "little" less grip than a Rampage in the rear but the compliancy and rolling resistance more than make up for it. As far as cornering goes, in the rear I noticed no change from the Rampage. Hit 37 mph on a downhill today with some gravelly corners and didn't notice any washing.

Don't know how it will perform up front but I am tempted to try it. I REALLY like this tire so far in the rear. High volume, fast, relatively light, not ungodly expensive (ahem, schwalbe, cough cough), plush, mounts tubeless, good grip...what more can you ask for?

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Rampages, Kenda Nevegal, Bontrager XR-4, Stan's Raven, IRC Mibro, Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Submitted by BruceBrown a Racer from Iowa

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Strengths:    Need a tire that's got street and gravel cred to ride to and from the trailhead? This is it. I rank it very high right up there with "the tire" - the WTB Nanoraptor. Enough traction for dry hardpack XC riding and racing, and a good fast tread pattern to get one to and from the trailhead with ease thanks to a favorable rolling resistance. This is a very tall tire volume wise which gives good clearance for the BB and pedals.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, although it weighs more than some others in the 2.2 XC dry condition category.

Bottom Line:
Great XC dry conditions tire for the Midwest, California and wherever the terrain is dry. I've put a lot of miles on these on pavement and gravel riding to and from the trailhead (trailhead is about 8 miles from my house) in the past 2 years. I see little of any tread wear to date, so I expect them to last as long as my WTB Nanoraptors - another great rolling tread that works off and on the trail.

This is a very well balanced, tall volume XC tire that is good for all around, XC racing and riding.

Favorite Trail:   Storm Mountain

Purchased At:   BikeWorld in Des Moi

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph 2.25, Ikon 2.2, WTB Nanoraptor, Maxxis Crossmark 2.1

Bike Setup:   Salsa Dos Niner, JET 9, Surly Karate Monkey - I run the Race Kings on all three bikes tubeless using Stans rims, Velocity Blunt rims and American Classic rims.

Submitted by figo a Racer from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Good volume, quite a bit of grip despite the small knobs, rolls well

Weaknesses:    Heavy, sidewalls are made of toilet paper (I ripped 2 sidewalls in 2 rides on fairly smooth terrain)

Bottom Line:
After cutting the first sidewall I assumed I must have hit a hidden (or imaginary) rock, last night I cut another tire's sidewall on pretty smooth terrain. In the past years (on a 26er) I've perhaps had 2 flats, on these tires 2 in 2 days, too much for me. As the Schwalbes roll better I'll be giving those a try, I can't imagine the sidewalls being worse..

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager 29-0

Bike Setup:   Tallboy, Lefty, AM classic wheels

Submitted by DirtRoadie a Cross Country Rider from Durango CO

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Supple, Rolls well, Grippy

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses if used within it's design parameters

Bottom Line:
Excellent tire. See strengths above. It is great in the conditions I ride (dry, mostly hardpack to rocky) and for my riding (XC style, light technical - staying on the ground).
My pair is quite light (614/638g) but fairly large (fatter than a Maxxis Crossmark on the same rim). These have the rounded profile that I prefer and have a responsive lively feel with a very cushy ride. The suppleness makes them excellent for things like slow technical climbing. They are excellent on pavement and hardpack. Small changes in air pressure make a substantial difference in feel. 25ish psi seems good as a balance between cushiness and having enough lateral stability. Rear traction seems a tad better than the Crossmark and the rubber seems a little stickier (this has been my experience with most Contis), but the Crossmark seems to wear a little better. The Race Kings might not be the best for heavy duty thrashing or constantly loose and/or muddy conditions. However they handle those conditions on occasion and are holding up well.

Conclusion: I like 'em and highly recommend them as an excellent all rounder for XC and trail type riding in dry and/or packed conditions.

Favorite Trail:   White Rim

Purchased At:   bike29.com

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmark

Bike Setup:   Dos Niner, retro setup

Submitted by thomllama a Cross Country Rider from Old Lyme, CT

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Fast roll, clears mud easy

Weaknesses:    tad heavier than the Mtn King...

Bottom Line:
I have used other low profile tires on the 29er before and have hated all of them. Even a slightly moist dew in the morning and both the SB8's and the Fast trac's treads load up and you are basically riding a sloppy slick!! sucks!! that and they all kinda sand blast my legs which is very annoying. Been really happy with Mtn Kings but they kinda squirm on the tall knobs when riding solid rock face. So I tried a Race King when I went to order a Mtn King for the rear. Figured give it a try and sell on Ebay if I didn't like it. Well it's still on the Bike.!!! the knobs are short, but more widely spaced than the other 2 tiny tread tires. Gets great traction in almost all terrains, much better than I expected actually. Seals up Tubeless just fine, never had an Issue with the tire it's self leaking (having issues with the Stem sealing after a change of rim tape but that has nothing to do with the tire)
Fit really well with Velocity's P-35 super wide rim. Did get a bit of the sand blast at first but a friend said to do a few road miles and it would lessen it up. It did, and actually went away 100%
Probably not going to stay on the bike for the winter but it's definitely my favorite 3 season tire for the rear ( don't think I'd put it on the front, like bigger knobs there though if I rode on hard pack or cliff/ridge rock more I might)

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point Long Island, Bluff Point in CT

Purchased At:   Bike29.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda SB8's, Specialized Fast Trac, Mt Kings, Nevegals, Kenda Klaws

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Canzo 29er - Race King Rear Mtn King Front

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo a Weekend Warrior from Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    Fast! with decent grip in most conditions. Sets up well on a tubeless conversion.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't handle muddy conditions well.

Bottom Line:
This tire is fast! Great fast-rolling tire, I'm loving it set up tubeless with a Mountain King front. Things get interesting in muddy conditions, but otherwise a great tire. Did I mention it's fast?

Similar Products Used:   Rampage, Wierwolf, Racing Ralph, Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed 29er hardtail, Race King rear, Mountain King front, tubeless

Submitted by Vortechcoupe a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    Setup tubeless VERY easy with stans and has held air great. Huge volume = cush. Fast enough to race on but sturdy/grippy enough to still ride everywhere. Seems to hook up well in rocky central TX.

Weaknesses:    I got a heavy one at ~695 grams and not available in the german made black chili. Probably not a great front tire.

Bottom Line:
Great volume, casing is about 55mm wide on a set of crossmax's, weight, speed and traction. Good for the rear on a hardtail. I've not run it up front as I prefer something with more side knobs and grip up front.

Seems to grip maybe little better then the SB8 but it is way bigger (heavier) then the SB8. My SB8 didn't seal as well as this race king either. For a hardtail i'd much rather this race king then a SB8 for fast rocky trails. 4 chilis only due to one 29er option. I want the super soft german compound!!

Similar Products Used:   SB8, Geax Seguaro, nevagal

Bike Setup:   Niner Air 9. Race King on the rear only. 25-28 psi I weigh 160.

Submitted by cowboycramer a Racer from Provo, UT

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    These are my new favorite tires. They roll fast, corner well, and hold up reasonably well. (No flats in 6 months - setup tubeless). They roll faster than Crossmarks, they corner better too. Work well with both Stan's and Bontrager tubeless systems.

Weaknesses:    Narrower than claimed (about a 2.0)

Bottom Line:
Great value, great tire. The only thing that would make it better is a Black Chili German made version.

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XDX, XR1
Notubes Crow, Raven
Maxxis Ignitor, Crossmark

Bike Setup:   Fisher Superfly with RXL rims with TLR strips.
Fisher Paragon with Notubes 355 rims.

Submitted by RAMSTRONG1 a Racer from fort collins, CO

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    They roll well on pavement and smooth trail as well as hook up nicely in all climbing situations. (It is a 29er)

Weaknesses:    Flatted 5 times in first 2 rides and bike sits in the garage with two slow leaks draining the currrent life from them. By these if you truly enjoy showing off to your friends trailside how fast you can change a flat.cause you'll have plenty of opportunity. Yes I checked my rimstrip. ALSO! The packaging clearly suggests that they are UST. Which they are not but Continental uses the same packaging apparently so BE be careful with that.

Bottom Line:
They work great but are really flat prone and the packaging is misleading...I should have asked the shop guy but I didnt and I am not a big enough weanie to return a used tire!

Favorite Trail:   Crested Butte - anything!

Purchased At:   Peloton

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis - IGNITOR: SWEET! Advent: pretty sweet CROSSMARK: THe best!

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Aizan with sram xo and x9 mix and Manitou Super 29er

King of the Mountain Enduro Race 9/29-9/30

Anyone experienced as to the ascent/descent profile of the Saturday "enduro lite" event. Can anyone recommend a training regime for race newb?Read More »

what's up with the Conti Race King 29 ProTection 29?

Is it a real tire, or just a phantom? Lots's of people "advertizing" it, no one's got it in stock, and there ain't a review to be found. all pre-launch marketing hype, I suppose. when's it coming available? tx.Read More »

Conti Race King 2.2 x 29 tubeless?

Anybody using Conti Race King 2.2 x 29 tires on a Stans or a Roval rim w/o tubes? The only 29er tires I have used have been Specialized UST compatible tires that seated and held air just fine on my Stans and Roval rims, but I want to try a more agressive tire such as the Conti's.Read More »

Continental Race King 29 x 2.0

I've heard good things. Comments anyone??? Please advise.Read More »

Continental Race King 29

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a pair of Race King 29 tires? All my usual suspects seem to be still out of stock...Read More »