Continental Mountain King 29 29er Tire

3.41/5 (32 Reviews)

Crawling up mud-slicked trails. Bombing down stone and stump-riddled runs. When it's all about traction and blasting through any kind of trail debris, turn to the Continental Mountain King 29-inch Tire for your ride. Made by engineers that continually push the envelope in terms of what we're able...

Submitted by aroundoz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2014

Strengths:    I guess I am being generous by giving 3 chilis but don't like bashing something too much unless it really deserves it.

Rolls reasonably well on hard pack.

OK rear tire.

Weaknesses:    Not a good front tire IMHO.

Bottom Line:
Bought a 13 Horsethief and these tires came with it. The first few rides I was wondering what I got myself into because the bike was squirly and didn't inspire confidence at all. I pulled out my 2.4 Ardent, replaced my front tire and life was a good. The Ardent is my benchmark for an excellent tire and the conti's don't even compare. They just seemed to slide off of everything and not track well.

Over the years I found conti road tires to be 2nd to none but have never been overly impressed with their mountain tires.

Similar Products Used:   Ardent, Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 2013 Horsethief 1.

Submitted by dvn

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    This is for the 2.4 version.

Good loose soil traction.

Weaknesses:    Terrible hardpack traction.
Ride like poop unless pressure is run VERY low risking pinch flats.
Slow rolling.

Bottom Line:
If you ride loose, sandy areas, this tire might work for you. I ride mostly hardpack so it is useless to me. Going to try some Maxxis Ardent's.

Submitted by brianwon a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Works well in loose stuff, wide spaced knobbies shed mud, grips well in ideal conditions.

Weaknesses:    squirrely, need to inflate well over 35psi to have it feel acceptable, paper thin sidewalls, wet performannce

Bottom Line:
Got this tire on a super deal at my LBS and I'm running it on the rear on a Flow rim with a notubes kit. Here in Westchester county, NY we've got a lot of rocks and roots. 3 miles into my first run with these I burped the tire while running at ~25psi. Thankfully I had my air tank and sealant still in the truck so I was able to get back into the woods. Filled it to 35psi and the vagueness on the hard pack disappeared, but being 225lbs (fully loaded) on a HT made the ride a bit harsh. It also felt like the tire lost some of its wet performance, especially on dew covered roots and boulders.

During this initial ride, I unfortunately destroyed the tire with a 1/2" slash on the sidewall from what I thought was a simple pinch flat but turned out to be a tear that Stan's goo couldnt fix.

I'm going to call my LBS when they open today and see what my options are, if any. I think I'll go with the Maxxis Ignitor next.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mtn

Duration Product Used:   1 day

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Purgatory, Maxxis Ardent, Kenda Klaw, Schwalbe Rocket Ron

Bike Setup:   Niner A9, XTR, Stans ztr, etc

Submitted by Joshua Gore a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    Hard Pack slick trails, very durable.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy, and slow. I directly compare these tires to Maxxis Ardent 2.5's which have worse slick trail grip but roll noticeably better, and have much more volume.

For the bigger riders, these tires are EXTREMELY slow.

Bottom Line:
Early in the year when trails are damp, and late in the year when leaves, and pine needles can cause super slick conditions these tires really shine. They pierce through and absolutely bite, creating a feeling of confidence unparalleled. That being said they are not a do anything tire. The knobs are slightly unsteady on slickrock or granite(maybe better with a lighter rider but I am a clyde), and the biggest drawback of these tires are there speed... they are SLOW.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent 2.5, Geax Saguaro, Bontrager 293, Wolverines, Weirwolfs, Kenga Nevegal, and now testing UST Ardent, and Crossmark

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan

Submitted by jdnewe01 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Holds the trail very well. One of the better 29er tires I've ridden for New England trails. A very good all-arounder; handles wet, dry, muddy, rooty, rocky, trails very well. Strong and well built.

Weaknesses:    2.35 is probably like a 2.2. Heavy. Rolling resistance is not the best (maybe due to knobs being a bit farther apart than other tires). It's not the fastest tire on smoother singletrack - it tends to excel at the nasty stuff.

Bottom Line:
Overall I really like em. I think they are a great tire for New England singletrack. A true AM 29er tire.

Bike Setup:   Salsa Horsethief

Submitted by NTXrunner a Weekend Warrior from DFW, TX

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Strengths:    Surprisingly strong against flatting

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
For stock tires I cannot complain. They have held up well for 2 years. I am switching to something with a better rolling resistance. I ride 40 road and the rest is trails in the DFW area.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   Windsor 29er

Submitted by jsunstar a All Mountain Rider from Beaver County, PA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    mud shedding design (so good i added a fender!!!)
good sidewall strength
long lasting tread

Weaknesses:    Wee bit heavy (860G for 2.4 folding)
slick on wet roots
Need to pump over 80 lbs of air in them to get them to pop onto rims.

Bottom Line:
I have used the Continental Mountain King (in the 2.4 as well as the 2.2 width) on 2 different 29er bikes that I use for different trails and have found them to be a favorable tire in just about all conditions.
As most riders, I dont have a tire sponsor so I don't have the money to have different tires for every season,weather condition and type of dirt or trail so I was looking for a tire that would be good for all conditions. An "all season tire" you could say.
I ride a few days a week in the summer at an average of 8-12 miles on singletrack per ride and these tires seem to last forever. I have gotten at least 2 seasons out of them.
The mountain king 29 seem to grip well on almost everything. I found that they corner well in dry dirt, mud and soggy leaves. (they corner HORRIBLY on pavement cornering at high speeds! I found out the hard way at the punk bike enduro....)
They shed mud well due to their wide spaced knob design although the wide spaced knobs seem to slip alot on slick roots (i do not know of many tires that don't). They plow through mud with ease and I never have to stop to clean them off... A few bunny hops and they are clean.
They stick well to turns and inspire confidence which helps me ride to my full potential and are great climbing tires as long as you get the right air pressure.
Getting the tire pressure right can be tricky as I run tubes in these. It seems to me that about 30-35 lbs is good for my 215 lb frame, any less and im pinch flatting and any more and I have less traction than I like. You can easily dial it in through trial and error for your weight and riding ability.
All in all, I like these even know they are a little heavy but I think that comes with a good strong sidewall... and at +/- 45.00, for a tire that will last 2 seasons, you cant beat it.

I am ready for a new set of tires and Continental is replacing this tire with the Mountain King II so look for my next review at the end of this season...
Continental says that they are improving the MK and if this is true, in my opinion, it will be tough to find a better all around tire.

Favorite Trail:   Allegrippis at raystown lake

Bike Setup:   fisher 29er with nice wide rhythm comp wheels.

Submitted by Cycle Nomad a Cross Country Rider from Hudson Valley

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Strong Sidewalls, good company

Weaknesses:    Wet conditions, weak thin knobs tear off pretty quickly

Bottom Line:
In wet conditions with loose debris and mud, wet leaves, rocks and rooty, this tire doesn't impress.
My #1 complaint is: Not enough knobs!!
The "widely spaced lugs," are too few and are too weak.
This may be a decent front tire, but don't put it on the back it will dissappoint.
I ride what I guess you would call very technical cross country, loose messy rooty and rocky east coast conditions that seem to always be pretty wet...... Not hardpack.

Favorite Trail:   909

Purchased At:   don't remember

Similar Products Used:   many other 29er tires

Bike Setup:   two wheels, handlebars, etc....STEEL HARDTAIL

Submitted by Fire-dog a Weekend Warrior from Nu-Hampsha

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Tons of grip in wet slimy and muddy conditions. Dual compound rubber,

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I traded the weight for the sheer grippy ride-over-everything-iness and have not looked back. I have the 2.4's and ride about 25 psi. I set these up ghetto tubeless with Stans and have only developed a slow leak on the back after two years. I would not recommend these for racing or weight saving.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma, Kenda small block 8's

Bike Setup:   Mounted these ghetto tubeless on Easton XC rims, riding a Kona King Kahuna

Submitted by IndianaXC a Cross Country Rider from Milford, Indiana. U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    (2.2 version) Light, somewhat fast rolling, tollerable climbing grip on the rear.

Weaknesses:    Super tiny, more like a 1.9 maybe even less. Not at all confidence inspiring for the front, Impossible to get the right PSI without it being to hard or rimming out all the time.

Bottom Line:
Super small, no cushion whatsoever, grip on the front is terrible, while on the rear it is just O.K. I have played with the PSI alot, and i cant find a happy medium, one snakebite in the first 5 miles of riding, i blame it on to low of psi, but it shouldnt do that anyway. If i add enough PSI to keep i from rimming it feels like a rock. Only reccomend for XC riding on smooth hardpack course, with no sand or mud.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake XC

Purchased At:   Came on a lightly us

Similar Products Used:   no 29", but maxxis advantage and many other oldies on the front and rear.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale singlespeed 29er with lefty.

Submitted by goose8 a Cross Country Rider from Saranac Lake, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Good traction, decent rolling resistance. They've performed admirably in all sorts of East Coast conditions. Mud, rocks, roots- they work well on all of them.

Weaknesses:    A little narrower than advertised. They got showed some wear after a long ride I did with lots of exposed rock.

Bottom Line:
These tires work well for nearly everything I've thrown at them. I will definitely buy another set.

Favorite Trail:   Good Luck

Purchased At:   Placid Planet

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   2 wheels and some parts. 2.4 Mountain kings front and rear.

Submitted by Hobbyfreak a Weekend Warrior from Chantilly Va USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Very grippy, Strong sidewalls, used for about 1 year and absolutely no blowouts.

Weaknesses:    Bad for Stans. It took several stans fill to plug sidewalls. has alot of tiny holes. Weight. The 2.4 looks like 2.2!

Bottom Line:
Despite of failures using it as tubeless. It still a very good tire. Good on climbs, mud, rocks and logs. I have never felt scared or going to slip. I must have hit tons of schrubs and sharp rocks and the sidewall holds up very well. Hasnt had any blowouts or side cuts. I recomend it!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized captain, Kenda nevegal

Bike Setup:   Spot Ti single speed, Full rigid!

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great grip, very confident inspiring, good round profile, tough in the rock gardens, and puts up with abuse.

Weaknesses:    Wears REALLY fast on rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
I REALLY like these tires, and since they came stock on my bike I was surprised at how well they performed. Very solid feeling and provided lots of traction for how little knobbies are on them. The rubber compound is very soft, however, and this proved to be a bummer for the rear tire. I've only had the bike for a little over 3 months, and the middle knobs are all torn/worn down bald. The side knobs are still intact, but the middle of the tire is a slick(!). On the front, the tire looks great however, and I'll continue to run it as it feels good and handles well.

I think for forest paths, wet/muddy conditions these would do great, but just not for the rocky and rough conditions I ride in. This is almost more of a bike path tire and not a try cross country or all mountain tire. I'd recommend it as a front, but not a rear tire.

Favorite Trail:   Guardian's Trail

Purchased At:   Stock Tire

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor, Nanoraptor

Bike Setup:   Windsor Cliff 29er Pro

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo a Weekend Warrior from Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    Decently light and fast tire that corners well. Good all-rounder.

Bottom Line:
Love these tires. I have run them front and rear for a great balance between speed and traction. They corner very well. Currently using one in the front with a Race King in the rear for extra speed.

Set up converted tubeless with some fuss, but no problems since the initial set-up.

Best all-around 29er tire I have ridden yet.