Bontrager 29-4 29er Tire

3.45/5 (11 Reviews)

• 29er-specific design
  • Intended for loose and rocky conditions
  • Tubeless Ready optimized
  • TPI: 120
  • Bead: Aramid

Bontrager XR4 and 29-4 All Mountain Tire Pro Review

The UPS man arrived with a bunch of XR4 tires and we were rightfully excited. The tread pattern is much different from the previous generation as it is more modern with a simple, blocky and more open style. The 26er tires are called XR-4 and the 29er tires are 29-4. The ’4' refers to their trail/traction abilities on a 0-4 line with the XR0 being an ultra lightweight xc race tire and the XR4 being an aggressive all mountain tire. Continue reading →

Submitted by joebreez a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Rolls well, decent cornering, good driving traction.
Doesn't do any one thing fantastically but a solid 8 on most surfaces, good all rounder

Weaknesses:    not the grippiest on wet rocks, not many tires are though

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Team issue with Sidewall protection.
Been riding these since last fall and think they're a great tire. I have a garage filled with unloved tires, tires that just don't cut it or didn't last.
I've been riding for the last 20 years back East (many rocks and roots in Connecticut) so I've seen many tires come and go, I wasn't sure what to expect with these but found them overall pretty darn good. Looks like an updated Nevagal but rolls much better.
Got them with the sidewall protection and it allows you to run lower pressures without worrying about ripping the sidewall out. It also keeps the tire from squirming too much.
The more I ride these the more impressed I am with them.
Bonty tires used to be just OK but would say now with the hiring of tire guru Frank Stacy you can see and feel a huge difference in their lineup.
I would say these are actually a solid all rounder, very predictable as a rear tire. Haven't run it up front yet but my friends have ridden them for a year or so with no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Hiline, Sedona

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Rampage-great front-bullet proof,
Captain control-good rear tire-thin sidewalls, Purgatory solid front or rear-thin sidewalls, Mt King- bad in hard conditions, and many others

Bike Setup:   Rumblefish, Flows on X9 hubs(tubeless), Rampage front, 29-4 rear.

Submitted by James Hoyle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively light for a large, high-volume tire (in Team Issue) Works well for loose over hard and rocky conditions.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls, poor bead strength. Hard to get to seat/seal with air compressor, impossible with floor or hand pump.

Bottom Line:
Bought a new pair of the 29-4 original design for the Niner WFO that I was building. Airing the first tire up after mounting, BOOM ! The tire blew off of the rim. What a mess ! Stan's everywhere, ringing ears and a sore hand from the explosion. OK, I must have over-inflated it. Well, I was extremely careful with the second tire and only 'pulsed' the air into the tire so as not to over inflate it. At around 35 psi, the tire blew off the rim with the same result. Mounting to brand-new Easton Haven wheels, so not an issue with the wheel/rim. The pressure range on the tire is 30-50 psi, so I was not exceeding the maximum pressure. I compared my digital air-pressure gauge with my Bourdon-tube style analog air-pressure gauge and they matched, so not an issue of an inaccurate pressure gauge. Eventually, I did manage to get both tires mounted - after covering them with a blanket while inflating for safety - and rode them for a few weeks (about 100+ miles) without any problems. That is, until the sidewall rolled when I pushed hard into a bermed corner and I went over the bars. It felt like suddenly hitting a large rock, but the berm was hard-pack with no rocks. The tire did not burp, the entire tread just rolled under the rim. Probably my fault, as I was running the front tire at 26 psi which is 4 psi under the recommended range. The kicker is that when I got home, I slowly added some air to the front tire, and BOOM ! it blew off of the rim. OK, I've had enough. Concerned that if I was flying down hill and hit a rock hard enough, the tire would blow off of the rim from the sudden pressure change, I removed the tires. I then mounted a new pair of Bontrager XDX tires (non Team Issue) which sealed quickly and never blew off of the rim while seating the bead, even when quickly inflated to the maximum pressure of 50 psi. The good people at Bontrager had no interest in admitting to a poorly engineered tire when I contacted them regarding the issues I had with the 29-4's. Nor did they have any interest in replacing the tire under warranty. They did not even know that they had two different revisions of this tire. I had the old style which was apparently the original release, and Bontrager has just recently released a re-design of this tire. Clearly there was an issue with the original or it would not have been re-designed after only one season. I won't be buying Bontragers again.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to name

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Chuck's Bikes eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XDX, Tioga Psycho Genius.

Bike Setup:   Niner WFO with Easton Haven aluminum wheels.

Submitted by zerogravity a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    Wider than a Purgatory 2.4, much better grip then the 29-3's. Rolls pretty decent. Can carry some speed on the corners, take the bumps and rocks with no issues. I run mine tubeless with Bonty Rhythm Pro's and they fit perfectly.

Weaknesses:    The knobs need to be angled a little more for more side/leaning bite. At times at a high speed corner, i have to either slow down more of not lean as low so the tires don't lose grip. Compared to the Slant 6 or Nevagal, these tires can use a little more side bite. Straight on bite is pretty good.

Bottom Line:
These are a huge upgrade from the 29-3's. I can appreciate a good gripping tire with traction which these tires provide. It is a great all around tire and would recommend them to anyone who needs a 29er that will both roll and grip very well. Can it roll better? Yes. Can it grip better in the corners? Absolutely. But for the price, you get the BEST tire for the price point IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevagal, Bontrager 29-3, Kenda Slant 6, Maxxis High Roller

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Rumblefish 1, SLX Brakes,Crank,Drerailers, Shifters, Crank Brothers Kronolog, Cobalt 11 740 Carbon Bars, Eggbeater 3's,Icetech 203/180 Rotors, Bonty Rhythm Pro wheels.

Submitted by Rumblefisher

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Decent grip

Weaknesses:    Sudden washouts
Thin sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I have the 2012 29-4 Team Issues. I've always had an issue with Bonnys and their ability to telegraph washouts. These are no different for me. You can go from a hairy turn to laying on the ground staring at the sky before you even know what hit you. I can't say they are bad because they perform fairly well, they just scare me at or near the breaking point.

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    huge tire both tread and volume. This is a tall and wide tire. Enough sidewall flex to help grip without compromisng steering confidence. amazing durability, especially for a tire with such great grip. This is way bigger than the Conti x-king 2.4.

Weaknesses:    800g is not light, but this is a huge tire. I could not get it to fit on the rear of my ventana el capitan without rubbing, but fits great in front. Not super fast rolling, but I have older tread pattern.

Bottom Line:
buy this tire if you are looking for something more than a fast rolling tire. Blows away WTB and geax tires that I have used. A bit better grip than panaracer ranpage with way better wear. much more volume than a tioga psycho 2.25 which is a solid tire.

Submitted by Douglas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Somewhat lightweight, minimal rolling resistance and lots of volume. Pretty good grip.

Weaknesses:    Weak, thin sidewalls and overall not very durable.

Bottom Line:
I've been using Bontragers tires for about 18 months now. First used the 29-3's then the 29-4's. Lots of hope but after riding many miles I can say they don't hold up on the ST here in the northeast US. The sharp rocks we ride on tear these tires up fast. I liked the weight and the grip but it ends there. About 3 months ago purchased some Tioga Psycho Genius tires and have been running on my fav trails but decided to change my front tire to a Bontrager 29-4 which ripped a sidewall on the first ride but held air still and then on the 3rd ride punctured the tread.
Crap is all I have to say. My Psycho Genius' have no knicks or holes after 3months at about 1/2 the price.

Submitted by rob1208lv a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    fast rolling, easy to set up tubeless

Weaknesses:    tad heavy

Bottom Line:
I've only used they on 1 ride, but here in the desert they roll pretty fast, I have mine set up tubeless on arches, easy to set up. Side walls seem thick which explains the weight. I'll update my review once I get a few more rides in..

Purchased At:   las vegas cyclery

Similar Products Used:   schawale racing ralphs, nobby nics, hutchinson pythons,

Submitted by dubthang

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Weights are close to what is advertised, awesome traction in a variety of conditions, can be run tubeless, can be had with 120 tpi casing

Weaknesses:    Weight is a little heavy but they are big tires

Bottom Line:
These are the new, redesigned 29-4's. They are way better than the old style, and are the best tire I used to date. The roll well, have great side bite, and are predictable on slick roots and rocks. I run them tubeless in a set of Velocity Blunts using Bontrager's plastic strips and valves. This system works extremely well. I have been running this system with Bonty tires for about 3 years without any issues. I only buy the expensive versions of these tires since I prefer the higher thread count (more supple) and the lighter weight. The extra ten bucks is worth it. When I aired these up, there were several pin hole leaks that quickly sealed up with Stan's. These are the first tires that I've had from Bonty with this issue. This is not a deal breaker for me, as they still sealed up very easily, and I haven't had a problem with air leakage in the couple months that I have been using them.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FR-3's, Brontrager 29-4's (old style)

Bike Setup:   rigid 29'r ss

Submitted by pa rider a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg pa

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    sidewall and wet weather traction

Weaknesses:    weight for expert model

Bottom Line:
Got tire when i ripped 2 CG panaracers on one ride. It was all the lbs had in stock and saw weight was close to 900grams. Figure it winter what the heck.

Rode excellant as rear tire through rock gardens that I haven't cleaned in a long time. Put it on my flow front wheel since it was only tubeless tire i had and it great in front as well.

Got an team issue for next season to try out. I love the 2011 models have such great sidewalls and don't rip knobs like the wtb bronson tire. I feel this tire can be a bomber tire on any terrian. The tire cleans mud excellant and grips is excellant in rocks and mud.

Favorite Trail:   rcst raystown