Bontrager 29-3 TLR 29er Tire

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Tubeless Ready versions of the first ever tires designed specifically for the riding characteristics of 29" wheels. A combination of a large volume direction tire and a lightweight traction tire provide all-around mountain biking performance.

Submitted by Bad Radiation a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    Wet weather traction on pretty much any surface.
Good stiction on dry surfaces
Strong sidewalls
Lightweight - mine have all been < 700g
Relatively long life - they die slowly. The tread wears evenly.
Tubeless setup is a snap.
And ... can't forget the ubiquitous - "fast rolling!" for those who care

Weaknesses:    The 29-3 TLR Team Issue 2.25 29er have been discontinued.
Please Bonty - bring 'em back!

Aside from sketchy front wheel performance in dry kibble, none

Bottom Line:
We are talking about the Bontrager 29-3 TLR Team Issue 2.25 29er
Great tactile feel and traction grip on wet rock, roots, loam and gravel. I have been running this front and rear on 2010 RIP9 for 2.5 years. Finally, wore out the rear.
Exception front tire tracking despite how the tire appears - no large side knobs - just a spider-web of knobs and ridges.
Unfortunately it appears to be discontinued.
Don't waste your time on the 29-3 Team non-TLR - filmsy sidewalls. Same tread patter

Similar Products Used:   Variety or Bontrager stock build tires
Specialized Eskar
Hans Dampf

Submitted by Jake the biker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    This tire is good in dry conditions, and it rolls nicely.

Weaknesses:    They are rally bad in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
If you ride on wet trails or over large roots; or even worse wet roots. Then they suck; to the point that they really hold me back and take most of the fun out of riding.
If I only biked in dry conditions they would be a decent tire; but I do not. If you bike on wet or even damp trails I would defiantly not get this tire.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    It's a tire. Rolls great

Weaknesses:    Scares me going fast

Bottom Line:
This is my front tire on a bike I just bought. I very much miss my slow rolling, grippy, cushy Rampage when it comes to the downhill. I just don't feel as confident when I have to lean into a turn. I will be searching for a front tire that is not as slowing as the Rampage but has better grip than this guy.

Submitted by APSBiker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Great tire for most conditions, hold up well. Nice 'n' grippy.

Weaknesses:    Not the best for grit over hard or for the mud.

Bottom Line:
I've purchased several of these tires, all with good results. They have great grip, reminding me of my original mountain bike that came with the Dart up front. The oldest tire I have is a little over a year old right now and it looks fine given how much I've ridden it. Given a choice, I'll keep these on the front of my 29ers for a great any-condition tire.

Submitted by mountaindudespike a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    grips well, corners well, stands apart from bontragers bad reputation for tires. I really enjoy this tire.

Weaknesses:    nothing particular

Bottom Line:
i would reccomend purchasing this tire, maybe not when offered other options like maxxis or stans tires etc...but if it comes on a bike i would keep it and shred it