Bontrager 29-1 29er Tire

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Faster, better cornering version of the proven original XR1 29er. Intended for fast hardpack or loamy conditions. Developed in conjunction with professional race teams. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee. Available in 2.00 or 2.20, aramid bead, 60 TPI.

Submitted by Forster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Puncture prone

Bottom Line:
Always interesting writing about a componant at the end of its lifespan rather than towards the beginning. I've just replaced my narrow version 29-1s after 2200 miles of gravel road/crush rock trail/paved/hardpack dirt and have a few well defined impressions of this tire. My commute is a 7.5 mile gravel road haul to a crush rock trail (for 4 miles) followed by 6 miles of pavement (reverse for the ride home) and I bought these for the low rolling resistance and predictible (if not stellar) traction. I run the pressures relatively high (40 psi) because I'm 212 lbs and don't want pinch flats. The traction on all surfaces in dry conditions was more than acceptable, these tires don't favor mud and can get squirrelly when conditions get wet. The rear tire was worn to the point where I swapped it to the front at 1400 miles and it seems to have some life left as a front tire. They might have lasted longer with lower pressures (spreading the contact patch) but they seem to have worn well all things considered. On the downside, it takes very little nature to flat these tires. I run tubes because I'm stuck in my ways, but the smallest piece of plant matter or glass seems to have no trouble working its way throught the casing and into the tire. I'm not talking goat head thorns, I'm talking little slivers of stuff. Maybe better run tubeless, don't know and don't care. On to Saguaros.

Favorite Trail:   Hewlett Gulch Co

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   '11 Fisher Paragon, XT wheels/Blunt Velocity rims, XT 40/28 crank, Oury Grips, WTB Saddle

Submitted by MJR

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    For dry hard trails/tarmac summer riding, these are great. Really fast rolling, predictable and fun.

Weaknesses:    As soon as the going gets a little soft, there is no grip at all - even changing from hard to more loose gravel trails, I have had a moment or 2.

In the wet, on tarmac and hard pack these are fine, but as soon as there is any mud or standing water they get lost pretty quickly.

Bottom Line:
I'll definitely be using these as my 'go to' summer tire, but do switch out for something more knobly for the winter.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    The name Bontrager sounds synonymous with mountain bike to me. It sounds rugged and ready for any job it was designed for and I feel that is exactly what I received when I purchased these tires.

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced.

Bottom Line:
Some may complain that these are not an "all season" tire but Innever felt that they were stated as such. The intended terrain is exactly what I use them on and theyre great tires. In all, I'm happy with my purchase and will buy Bontrager again!

Purchased At:   Bike America, Olathe

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Stock 2012 Superfly100 AL

Submitted by grendalfly

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Fast on dry hardpack. So far more durable than some of the other race tire from Bonty like the XR-1s.Tubeless setup was very easy.

Weaknesses:    They are very poor in sloppy conditions.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a low resistance fast XC tire at a good price point versus say IKONs then these are you tire.
I wouldn't ride them on technical or rocky terrain, but for the fast flowly hardpack they really are a great tire.

Submitted by fishmann a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Probably good for dry slick rock or terrain that doesn't require much traction

Weaknesses:    Absolutely suck in muddy terrain. The do not shed mud because the knobs are so short they never pickup mud!

Bottom Line:
Trek seems to go for a one size fits all mentality for their stock bike tires. My new superfly came with these things and I'm planning to swap them out soon. I've never had as many problems with traction as these things have. Give me some knob!

Submitted by yomatteo a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast, easily convertible to tubeless with Stan's or latex mold builder with water.

Weaknesses:    Traction on technical terrain.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for fire roads and fast trails. Not as good on dry, dusty single track with tech sections - experienced too much sliding when I really needed traction. Converted to tubeless today and will see if that helps, along with dropping the tire pressure some more.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   I. Martin Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8, Bontrager Earl.

Bike Setup:   Superfly

Long Travel 29'er.......that won't be my primary bike?

Looking for some advice on a long travel 29er that won’t break the bank. I am mainly a XC rider but my son and his buddies like to ride trails that require more of a trail bike. No problem……..just go out and get a new bike….right? Well not so fast. This would be my [U]4th bike [/U]and not my prim ... Read More »

fat bike with 29+ for xc racing

Thinking about a higher end carbon fat bike as a year round bike. Winter set up as a fatbike but the rest of the year with carbon 29+ wheels and a suspension fork as an XC bike. I'd be getting rid of an s-works epic 29er so I'm a little concerned I might regret that for the handful (around 5) of X ... Read More »

XLR 26" and PBR 29" Component swap

Hi there, I have a little project in the works using a 2014 XLR 26" shortened down to 425mm A to C and with travel restricted by a further 10mm, so 50mm travel total. The issue I have is that there in nowhere to fit the remote lockout on this bike, so ideally I would like a PBR lockout instead ... Read More »

SNOW - 29 tubeless vs fatbike

IMO, you can take a tubeless 29er on any groomed trail that a fatbikes use. In your opinion, at what level of terrain does it start to make a difference?Read More »

RockShox Revelation vs Fox Float 29 CTD

Ready to upgrade my Niner's Sektor fork, but I am having conflicting issues with the Fox, here is an old post, and because of that I am leaning towards the Revelation, both same price.Read More »