Bontrager 29-1 Expert 29er Tire

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Faster, better cornering version of the proven original XR1 29er. Intended for fast hardpack or loamy conditions. Developed in conjunction with professional race teams. Covered by Bontrager's Unconditional Performance Guarantee.

Submitted by rufio

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Fast XC/hardpack tire. Good grip for the most part. Pretty good sidewall. Good wear-life

Weaknesses:    Not many, I'm sure someone else who pushed there gear harder than I will find them.

Bottom Line:
Very quick tire. I have been running tubeless for some time now and this is my return to tubed systems. I like the tire. It rolls well, hooks up on hardpack and is great in XC stuff. I have used this as a trail tire and I only have one bike and I gotta say that it's not bad in that application either. It is not a beast in the corners, but it gets the job done. I would consider this a great XC tire, with good weight and more traction that your standard low profile tire.

Submitted by yomatteo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Very fast rolling, good traction at low pressure, doesn't cut up easily, thicker sidewall, easy to convert to tubeless.

Weaknesses:    None I can find.

Bottom Line:
Love this tire: it's fast on hard pack and even works well on the soft stuff. Been riding them for about 3 months doing ~50 miles/week on fire roads and singletrack, rocks, wet trail, pavement and rattle snakes without a flat (knocking on wood). Converted to tubeless about a month or so ago and been riding at 25-30 PSI without a problem, other than having to add more sealant to prevent the beads from small leaks. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the ride quality, durability and fun these tires provide. Try 'em and see for yourself - Bontrager offers a 30-day unconditional performance guarantee on all their tires, so you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon