Tamer Pivot Plus XC Suspension Seatpost

TheTamer Pivot Plus suspension seatpost features an anti-swivel systemTo remove unwanted seat rotation. Weight: 490 g Length: 350 mm Material: Aluminum Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm Offset: 10 mm Minimum Height: 83 mm Max Height: 260 mm

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from South Kingstown RI

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
After 1900+ hours, the bottom arm bolt compressed on my Thudbsuter and I returned it for a factory rebuild. In the meantime, I installed a freshly factory rebuilt Tamer Pivot Plus XC. Less than 60 hours later the lower arm pivot pin broke in half and fell out and the unit began to torque. Thankfully, the TB arrived and I was able to replace it. The TB, as always, has zero torque, more travel, and its double clamps ensure a more secure and accurate setup.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Thudbuster LT

Bike Setup:   100 mm travel aluminum hardatail

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from ATL, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    works great

Weaknesses:    noisy if you don't keep it cleaned, lubed

Bottom Line:
I've had this for about 7 years. It works great, I can't imagine going without it. It has a very natural feel. After about 6 years it broke and I crashed and was unhappy. I'm 230-240 lbs so I guess 6 years is pretty good. Still, it hurt. I contacted Tamer and they rebuilt it for a very reasonable price. Lately if I don't lube it every ride it starts squeaking like someone scratching a record. It's really annoying so I took it apart and hopefully it will stop. I would hate to go without it. It's probably why I'm still riding hardtail at 44.

Similar Products Used:   post moderne?

Bike Setup:   custom XC hardtail

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from RI

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Strengths:    I purchased two posts which were labelled 2001 models. One had solid pivot pins which I could tighten with allens wrenches to prevent torque. After two years use on two different bikes the area around the push rod pivot pin became enlarged so I returned it to Eko for replacement. I was charged $25 plus S&H. Everything was new but was installed on the original seatpost.

Weaknesses:    This post had hollow pivot pins and after one week both seathead base pins popped out. I contacted Eko and they said they would send me out a new one. Two months later I recived it, the delay due to "material quality problems". This unit also had hollow pins and began torquing. I then installed the second 2001 unit which -unlike the other- had three hollow pins. One week later the hollow seatbase pivot pin popped out.

Bottom Line:
With the hollow pivot pins this post has a short life due to the development of torque (assuming the pins don't pop out) and the "lifetime warranty" does not cover "normal wear and tear" -such as the bushings- even if there are only a few hours on the unit.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   80-100 mm front suspenion 7005 aluminum hardtails.

Submitted by Phil Baumgaertner a Weekend Warrior from Port Townsend

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Reviews of the Tamer Pivot Plus XC sold me on it and it was exactly as described. I'm used to standing on the pedals to go over roots, rocks and bumps. The Tamer Pivot takes a lot of the bumps out, enabling the rider to continue to sit down and pedal, letting the seat suspension do its trick. Also i like not having front fork suspension, less weight for the bike and more efficient pedaling - let the arms be the suspension

Weaknesses:    Getting a normal L-shaped metric allen wrench inside the pivots to tighten the socket head seat clamp bolt was a little tight. I cut a 1/4" length off the short leg of the allen wrench and it solved the access problem. Also, because i had a non-standard 26.0 seat post diameter, i had to use a Tamer circular shim (25.4/26.0) with a 25.4mm Tamer Pivot Plus. The two pieces wouldn't slide into the seat tube together or individually when i first received it. I had to wrap some wet/dry 220 grit emery cloth around the post, clamp the post down, and polish down the exterior of the sizer. Now i can put the sizer in first and then the Tamer - still a tight fit but it works.

Bottom Line:
Only had it 5 days but could feel the difference right off the bat. Excellent well built design and easy to adjust Large seat clamp bolt that locks the seat angle securely without threatening to rip out the female threads like my last seat post. Took it down a familiar rocky trail much faster than normal with more comfort and control.

Favorite Trail:   Scott Trail

Purchased At:   AEBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Post Moderne Suspension Post had a much smaller amount of effective travel and was relatively static. The Tamer put it to shame. What a difference.

Bike Setup:   Typical mountain bike with rigid front fork and just seat suspension.

Submitted by eric a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock, AR

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    simple set up, great ride and durability, easy service

Weaknesses:    makes noise if not lubed

Bottom Line:
This seat post really takes out small to medium bumps well.
You can ride over washboards without worry. If you like your hard tail but want a smoother(soft tail)ride, this is for you. Its held up well to aggressive riding and allows me to ride all day without the pain that I had from my non-suspension post. The best part is the great ride without the cost or weight of a full suspension bike. This post made me want to keep my hard tail and I haven't regreted it once.

Purchased At:   Bike store in Anchorage

Bike Setup:   GT backwoods

Submitted by Martin from Garland, TX 75044

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Strengths:    Works well on small and mid-sized bumps.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned below it does make an obnoxious sqeaking sound if not cleaned and lubed often. May not fit all bikes.

Bottom Line:
The Tamer Tricky Dick is as described below (I was skeptical of this thread aftet finding out about the free socks with review). The seatpost is certainly on the pricey side, but it performs well, and when I purchased it directly from Tamer, they even swaped in the heavy duty spring for me (no extra charge) and made sure that the OD of the seatpost and the spacer (spacer was extra), would work with my bike. I've ridden my bike with the suspension seatpost a few hundred miles (some trail, some bike path), and it's been solid and made my bike a lot more comfortable and reduced butt fatigue It does make a pretty loud, annoying noise if it gets dirty or needs lubrication. Most importantly, it hasn't broken and ruined the family jewels (I'm 240+ lbs and that was something I was really worried about after reading all the Thud Buster reviews). Oh yeah I almost forgot, if you have a bike with a quite a bit of angle to the seatpost tube, with the way the Tamer is setup the seatpost clamp may not allow the seat to rotate far enough forward to get the tilt you want. Mine is at the very limits. This might be something you want to ask the people at Tamer about before you order, otherwise the seat will be too high in the front and may cause problems with your twig & 2 berries. The other thing I noticed is that the teeth in the top of the seat post and seat post clamp don't seem to mesh exactly, it looks like they were machined with slightly different radii. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be, but the parts on my Bontrager seatpost seam to fit together better in that respect.

4 marks for value (it could be a little cheaper)
4 marks for overall (the craftsmanship is good, but could definitly be better)

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, mostly stock

Submitted by Jon a Racer from State College PA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    Clean, simple design
fairly light, considering it uses a steel coil spring
sensible amount of travel
easy to set up

Weaknesses:    Came completely dry, though lubing only took a few minutes
clanks on rebound - needs a topout bumper
seat clamp bolt is hard to get to

Bottom Line:
After testing a telescoping and a parallelogram post, I was pretty sure the linkage style was it. The Cane Creek post has a lot of rearward motion in it's travel path, due to the long linkages. Sure, it gives you 4" of travel, but the distance change to the bars made me nervous on descents.
The Tricky Dick has much shorter links, so the saddle only moves maybe an inch back - much more comfortable.
I was a little leery of the design, since it only uses a coil spring, but I haven't had any uncontrolled rebound yet. The setup is key here - you want a lot of sag, maybe 25%, so the saddle can "float" while you ride. It does top out fairly often, but not violently. If there was a pad to prevent the clank on top out, I probably wouldn't notice.
The saddle clamp is a little tricky to get to, as the only 6mm key I have is almost too long, but a minute with the Dremel has fixed that. It's one more tool to carry along, but at least it's small.
I wish there were a cover made for the linkage, a la the Lizard Skin unit for the Thudbuster, but maybe in time. It's small enough a section of innertube could do the trick, which I'll probably try when winter hits. Lubing the pivots is easy, thanks to the split pins, but that can let grit in as well, so we'll see how it stands up.
All in all, I'm happy with this purchase. It's not full suspension, but it takes out most of the bumps, and

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox telescoping post
Cane Creek parallelogram post

Bike Setup:   cr-mo hardtail, Rond-Magura fork, XTR/SRAM drivetrain, Cane Creek wheelset.

Submitted by Ron Langhelm a Cross Country Rider from Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    The travel feels natural, drops to the rear rather than foreword.

Weaknesses:    Had to elongate holes in the seat mounts to level the seat, pretty minor.

Bottom Line:
This is an excelent upgrade for any hardtail! My first ride was 15 miles of rough singletrack. Last time there my tail & back were sore. I still love my hardtail, the tamer post will keep me on it.

Favorite Trail:   The Pacific Northwest

Purchased At:   Old Town

Similar Products Used:   Rode a RockShox on a friends bike.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown Factory, SID XC, Hayes Discs, Sram 9.0sl/Shimano XT, & Fenders

Submitted by Shauna a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Strengths:    It suspends just right, working with the rotation of the tires so there isn't stress on the back.

Weaknesses:    There's quite a bit of bounce if you hit the rock just wrong, as I often do. My dad told me about a product that can take a lot of that away (sorry, but I forgot the name).

Bottom Line:
Man do I love this thing! My dad and I go two or three times a week, and he would just sail through the technical stuff on his full-suspension. Now I can keep up with him without the pain: Well, in certain areas that is. I have been biking only one year, but have gone quite a bit and can feel a huge difference. I'm still novice, but like the post a lot.

Submitted by joe pickens a Cross Country Rider from Davis, California

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    I purchased the Tricky Dick post to try an make my hardtail fun again, and it did just that. The suspension action is great! It smoothes out all the litle stuff and lets you stay seated through rough and bumpy climbs, improving rear wheel traction. It has also ended rear wheel kick when going over obstacles, you know that annoying feeling of the rear end trying to throw you over the front. The travel is very smooth and natural seeming. The machined parts look super.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses so far are the adjustments at the bottom of the post, you have to pull it out to dial it in, and the popping noise it makes when your butt leaves it and it returns to the top position. My ears didn't like the sound, however my butt was in love after five minutes into the first ride.

Bottom Line:
I love this post!! The Tricky Dick has got me back on the hardtail and off my full suspension bike. Both bikes have their strengths and weaknesses on different terrain, but now they are both just as comfotable to ride for 20+ miles on the trail. This is the best improvement to the hartail bike since suspension forks. If you want the climbing benefits and less weight of a hardtail bike, and you ride an aluminum hardtail this is the key to making it super comfortable. Never again will a long ride ruin your back and butt. So far this post rocks!! I will update next year for long term quality.

Favorite Trail:   Changes the more I ride.

Similar Products Used:   I tested the Rockshox suspension post and Thud Buster, neither were even close to the Tricky Dick in feel or performance. Rockshox felt sticky and didn't travel naturally and the thud buster kicked me in the N*#!s on the rebound, not good.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar 16" W/aluminum frame, very stiff bike.

Submitted by Agustin Goba a Racer from Snowmass Village, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet, other than having to remove seatpost to adjust preload.

Bottom Line:
Since I posted my previous review (see below) in which my only real complaint about this product was the price, I have been contacted by Tamer and they have sent me a check for $20 to offset the higher price I paid. I did not ask for this and did not expect it; all I can say is that this is great customer service! The people at Tamer certainly seem willing to go the extra mile to keep customers happy and I look forward to doing business with them again. And if you are looking for a suspension seatpost, the Tricky Dick is Number One!

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   linear suspension elastomer seatpost

Bike Setup:   KHS Montaña Pro FZ, etc...

Submitted by Agustin Goba a Racer from Snowmass Village, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great design, well built, does exactly what you need, looks like it was built tough, and seems to be designed for rebuilding if necessary--it's not a throwaway product.

Weaknesses:    Have to remove seatpost from bike to change pre-load.
Cost--especially after seeing that Bike Nashbar started carrying it for $50 bucks less, the week after I bought mine.

Bottom Line:
Like the Cane Thudbuster, the Tricky Dick actually responds to force along the same axis of delivery, rather than responding at a slightly opposed angle, like all linear seatpost suspension devices. This makes for a smooth, full-travel response with none of the stiction problems of the linear suspensions. Unlike the Thudbuster, the Tricky Dick uses a spring (no elastomer to blow up), it's small (you don't need 8" of space under your rear seat), and it weighs less. A great engineering job! I can even keep a seatbag under my seat with no problem. Forget all other suspension seatposts; this is the one. Now if I can just get over the hesitation when I have to tell people I have a "Tricky Dick."

Favorite Trail:   Just one? Idon'tthinkso.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters