Tamer Centrik Suspension Seatpost

3.31/5 (13 Reviews)

The CentrikTamer Seatpost features anti-swivel systemTo remove unwanted seat rotation which makes for a comfortable and functional seatpost. Weight: 394 g Length: 350 mm Material: Aluminum Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm Offset: 7 mm Minimum Height: 142 mm Max Height:270 mm

Submitted by Joseph Mockapetris a Weekend Warrior from Upton, MA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    Seems to be well constructed, I'll probably never get a chance to push it but weighing 220 lbs it probably doesn't take much for me to push it (I'm 6'-4" in case your picturing a really fat dude).

Weaknesses:    Raised the minimum seat height by about 3", it's okay for me but I could see where a shorter person with a big frame could be in trouble.The adjustment to the damping is done by turning a torx screw (not always the most convenient tool) and requires removing the post. The seat should come with instructions to give some guidance on how to set it up for specific riding types and weights. The shim seems rather fragile (I was going from 25.4 to 26.0), this makes removing the seat a real PITA.

Bottom Line:
Decent post I would buy it again, seems to soften the bumps but with anything less than a gel based seat your still going to feel the high frequency vibrations.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Raleigh MT200 (no - nothing special), it's about 8 years old and is generally used for pulling my 3 y.o. daughter around.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Abington, Pa., USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    Soaks up the bumps pretty well

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
We got this post on a tandem we recently bought used. It's going on three years, and is still in fine shape. A definite upgrade from the Nashbar post on our previous tandem. Of course, we aren't doing too much jumping, etc. on our tandem! We just bought some new elastomers for it, and they came within two days of ordering, which seems like pretty good service to me. I'm considering picking one up for my hardtail Cannondale MTB, too.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar suspension post

Bike Setup:   Santana Fusion "enduro" tandem

Submitted by Luap a Weekend Warrior from Dayton, Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    I'll get back to you when I think of one... don't wait up!

Weaknesses:    Play in the saddle, creaking, clicking, the feeling that you could be stabbed at any minute.

Bottom Line:
This post is a piece of junk. Don't buy one... odds are you could go to any landfill and find one for free. This hex shaft/bushing adjustment for taking out the play is a farce. You can take it out alright... but it comes back after 15 minutes of riding! Your saddle is back flopping around and making a bunch of racket again. I really did give this post a fair shot... I'm just glad it came "free" with the bike and it wasn't an upgrade!

Favorite Trail:   Hueston Woods

Similar Products Used:   None yet... my Thudbuster should be in this weekend!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher X-Cal

Submitted by Steve Dettmar a Weekend Warrior from Diamond Bar California

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    None, none of them have been in use long enough to evaluate strenghts.

Weaknesses:    The overall design is poor. I have broken four, count them four posts, all (in my opinion)due to design flaws. The first two failures were the bolt used to secure the saddle, they snapped. The third failure was the aluminum casting that the saddle sits in, it broke off. The fourth post was an "upgrade" the bolts thread into an aluminum pice, the threads pulled out.

Bottom Line:
They have been good about replacing the previous failed seatposts, but now I am asking for my money back and no one will reply.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Moab UT

Bike Setup:   Santana Extreme (tandem)

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Maine

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Strengths:
Suspension works well
Warranty service (You'll need it!)

Weaknesses:
Breaks!

Bottom Line:
I went through two of these posts and neither lasted more than a week. The action of the post was quite good and the ride was great for racing, but they just don't last. I snapped one jumping some stairs (ok- my fault), but the other just bent back about 15 degrees during the first ride I had it on my bike. I weight about 165-170 for what it is worth. Don't buy it unless you want a scar on the inside of your leg like me!!!!

1 Year

Just about everything

Schwinn Homegrown hardtail

Submitted by Eric in Tampa from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: January 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

Just bought the 1999 Pro XC after an analysis for myself and my girlfriend...both are 40-something riders using hardtails in the Tampa area...we wanted comfort, and durability. We get in 1500+ miles a year off road. We selected the Tamer Pro XC suspension posts (http://www.tamerusa.com) for
the following reasons: Adjustability-they use a 4 elastomer system that will allow for better tuning. Micro adjustment on the seat angle is very easy to use and appears to be quite strong.Upgradability-you can move to a spring/oil bath upgrade, or spring/elastomer
combination Warranty-Lifetime warranty has it's appeal Weight-it's not the lightest in the world, but we are not gram heads---420 Grams! (less than the Pivots or a FS Bike!) Sized posts...no shims!They also incorporate a system to deal with the side-to-side issue as it emerges
over time. It had more functionality for the buck than others in it's class. We only received them a week or so ago, and have had a few rides. I am happy
with the purchase so far...durability will be the key. I'll post again in a few months...

Submitted by kirk a cross-country rider from PA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had bad luck with the '98 seatpost - it broke off where the lower bushing threads are inside the main tube- I called tamer and they said they had a new design but when I got the replacement parts (long story- please see review of other tamer seatpost) they were the same as the ones that broke- I received this post from tamer in March '98 so I'm assuming it's the '98 model- Go USE!Go USE!Go USE!Go USE!Go USE!Go USE!Go USE!Go USE! One star 'cause there ain't no no stars!

Submitted by Cole a racer from phoenix

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

the new tamer shock posts are great for cross country racing. they're pretty light, certainly lighter than a fs bike, and it still climbs like a hardtail. my tamer pro seatpost has been on my bike since march, and it's doing good. i'm stoked. it's pretty enough to be the crown jewel on my bike. super high tech looking. hey, has anyone seen one of their paralellogram seatposts? saw one in their catalog and it looks sweet. does anyone know any details on it?

Submitted by Eric a cross-country rider from lake mead

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I rode my friend Rob's tamer post today for about 20 minutes. At first it felt wierd, but towards the end of my ride on it, it started to disappear under me. I'm still not totally sold on shock posts, but I might get one for my kona and give it a try. The tamer is a good looking post. The seatpost is trick! I'll give it 4 chilies, with the possible upgrade later to 5 if I like one on my bike.

Submitted by John a weekend warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

My wife and I purchased Tamer comfort ride seatposts shortly after we bought our bikes. What a difference they have made! We're recreational riders, and the cushion that these seatposts gives has been a blessing to us. I had back surgery three years ago, and the seatpost has allowed me to ride longer and enjoy the rides more. I was seriously thinking about full suspension, but couldn't justify it because I didn't know how much I was going to be riding. This seatpost gives me many of the benefits of FS, without the weight and cost of FS.

Submitted by Matt Gersib a racer from Englewood, CO

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding on a '98 Tamer Pro Carbon for the past year without a single rebuild. I'd estimate that it has at least a couple of thousand off-road miles on it. It was on my bike when I won the NCS (expert-class) at Breckenridge. It was on my bike during 24 hours of Moab. It's on my bike now. Maybe I should be on my bike... Tamer's product has improved significantly over older versions. I've ridden a bunch of other ssp, and I like the Tamer the best.

Submitted by Dave Chase a racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding the pro carbon and racing all the Winter Park and CORPS series since I got this post in June and it still feels like new. Keep it clean and lubed and it will stay smooth like butter. This post has seen some serious abuse and I can say that it's definitely bombproof. I love it and all the USE converts I've come across like their Tamers better than the USEs.Ran into Rishi Grewal at Velo Swap this weekend and saw that he had a few. Told me that he loved his... And he did win the Pro Men Solo division at Moab on one...

Submitted by Supercup a racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Tamer has a good product. I bought an aluminum pro model to take the sting out of my Redline cross bike. Despite the sometimes brutal impacts of constant re-mounts, this post continues to perform flawlessly. The rubber boot on the post keeps the slime away, and a shot of chain lube on the shaft occasionally keeps things sliding smoothly. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, even if I did have to shell out $150. It was worth it, because I enjoy racing 'cross more because getting back on the bike isn't quite as brutal.