Post Moderne Suspension Seatpost Suspension Seatpost

3.14/5 (102 Reviews)

Post Moderne Suspension Seatpost

Submitted by Brodie from Hamilton,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Strengths:    Absorbs shock from bumps

Weaknesses:    makes my seat a little high (i have a light on my post aswell and my seat is lowered the most it can be but with the shock it raises it alot)

Bottom Line:
Good post, but if you dont want your seat always very high then this might not be for you.

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Bike Setup:   2002 Norco Sasquatch, Rock Shox on the front, soon to be Blackspire big ring protector (lol alot of stuff)

Submitted by Mick Lansing a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Weaknesses:    I cannot get this post to move properly. It sticks so much and needs a ton of weight on it to get any sort of movement. Nice post but useless. I am very disappointed

Bottom Line:
I also have had to send this post back, via the shop, to the manufacturers. I cannot get any sort of smooth movement or any movement and I am really disappointed. Just to get the point across...when I took this shock post off of the bike...and put a normal "hard" post on...I didn't notice any difference! And that is no exeggeration. There has got to be some manufacturing fault in this batch.

Favorite Trail:   Dalbeatie

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   USE XC and XCR.

Bike Setup:   Kona Lava Dome. XT Marzocchi SL, X717 wheels with Deore discs.

Submitted by Jon Whitley a Cross Country Rider from Manchester U.K

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    Reasonable weight. Good quality of finish and adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Appauling sticktion. Sticks down.

Bottom Line:
I just could not get rid of the sticking. The post simply would not move up and down freely or smoothly. After 3 months of continually lubing with the recommended silicone lube it started to stick about an inch into its travel and stay there. I have sent it back and got my money back. I've gone back to USE.
I have to say that this post has been absolutley dreadful.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Similar Products Used:   USE XCR

Bike Setup:   Merlin Hardtail.

Submitted by Big M Lambert a Cross Country Rider from East Coast Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the Bracer: Fairly Light, good adjustability, relieved my back pain and made riding fun again

Weaknesses:    Hard (too long) to get at the internal allen key bolt to take it apart for service, had to go to LBS

Bottom Line:
Works damn good! The Bracer model is a bit more expensive at retail but worth the extra money. Great adjustability from hard to soft in one or two turns of the dial at bottom of post. I am at over 180 when riding and after 2 years of 50% real offroad technical stuff mixed with some pavement and RV trails it still works like new. Bravo Post Moderne!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   My first suspension one, used Titec and Bontrager rigid posts prior

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed Team, XT derailleurs, LX shifters, custom built Syncros disc wheelset, Azonic bar, Truvativ crank, IRC Serac XC rubber, etc.

Submitted by ROB THRASH a Cross Country Rider from GLEMOORE,PA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Strengths:    stability, ability to absorb bumps on and off trail, comfort

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
If you do not want to spend $$$ on a full suspension then this is a great product. The seatpost absorbs bumps, holes and everything else effectively. Seems to give me more stamina on long rides. If you are looking for a great product that does not cost an arm and a leg... get this seatpost... Works really well w/ the Azonic love seat.

Favorite Trail:   marsh creek, french, springton manor

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   trek 6500, rock show suspension seatpost, azonic love seat, ODI intense grips

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Seat clamp centered over post, reduces stiction

Weaknesses:    It's black, I prefer silver components. Needs special tools for routine user service.

Bottom Line:

This review is for the Post Moderne Solace Comp.

I have only used the product for three months, and so, I cannot comment on long term reliability.

The seatpost is more expensive than many other $30-$40 CDN suspension seatposts. Luckily, I found a sale for $50 CDN, or about $35 USD. Normal price was $85 CDN.

At full price this product seems to be in the middle price range. It is not among the least expensive, but not among the most expensive either. It falls about half way between.

I bought it because I had a bad experience with a cheap suspension seatpost, and I heard good things about the Post Moderne. I figured to spend a bit more for a better design and more durability.

My first observation was that the seatpost is a bit on the heavy side. Being a recreational rider, I opted to save some money by buying the heavier Solace Comp on sale. The alternatives were the lighter more expensive Post Moderne Bracer or the RockShox.

One thing that bugs me is the need for a special "extra long shaft" hex key, to take the seatpost apart for regular lubrication servicing. I do not have this tool and have no idea where to get one. Clearly, if I have to buy a special tool, the only use for which is servicing this seatpost, then the tool cost has to be added to the cost of the seatpost, when comparing products.

IMHO, this tool should come with the seatpost, since it is necessary for regular maintenance and is not a standard tool that one typically has laying about, like a hammer or screw driver.

I am 185lbs plus gear and I find that with zero preload, I get zero sag. This seems strange, since many riders are significantly lighter.

I found also, that the ride is noticeably harder in colder weather, presumably due to cold stiff elastomers. However, unlike others who contacted Post Moderne and received new parts to deal with the cold weather, my e-mail to Post Moderne has been ignored, and I have never received any sort of reply.

The seat clamp is centered directly over the seatpost shaft, instead of cantilevered behind the shaft. This helps reduce stiction. This arrangement is now being used in many of the better MTB suspension seatposts, like the RockShox. I have not yet encountered any problems with stiction.

I find that the seat swivels a bit, but I can live with it. I tightened the adjustment screws to correct this, but the problem soon returned. I may adjust it again if it really starts to annoy me.

I ride mostly local dirt roads and rolling XC trails with the occasional roots, holes, and exposed rocks. With 50mm (2 inches) of travel, the Solace Comp smooths out most of the ride fairly well. That's what I wanted.

For bigger hits I have to get off the seat, or I'll get bucked off. That seems to be typical of suspension seatposts, and not unique to the Solace Comp. Perhaps the AP-1 is better, since it has more travel and dampening.

I do not know if the seatpost bottoms out. I have not perceived this happening. There is no noticeable jarring, indicating that I have exhausted the range of travel, even when I get bucked out of the seat on a big hit. This may have something to do with the Giant seat, which is very comfy.

I would recommend this seatpost for recreational riders who are unwilling to spend the big bucks for a Thudbuster, RoxShox, or AP-1.

You sacrifice a bit on weight compared to the most expensive, but still get reasonable performance. So, far the Solace Comp has lived up to those expectations.

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience

Similar Products Used:   Tranz-X JD-415, a friend's Thudbuster

Bike Setup:   Giant Ricon, RST Capa TL fork

Submitted by Harry Sharp a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    Very smooth motion, easy adjust of preload, no lateral movement.

Weaknesses:    None, however, if you allow it to get submerged in water (I did when we got flooded and I tried to cycle through water that was above the handle bars) then the performance drops because the thing gets filled with water. So you have to follow the nice manual on how to completely take the thing apart and rebuild.

Bottom Line:
Worth buying if your doing lots of tracks with potholes or some XC riding. It really takes the edge off any bumps with 50mm of travel. Cheaper than paying for a decent full sussie and yet has a good effect.

Favorite Trail:   Epping Forest

Purchased At:   Bucks Cycle Centre

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 4400 with upgraded chainset (Shimano Deore) and clipless Shimano M515 and Post Moderne Bracer MTB seatpost.

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Joshua Tree, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Weaknesses:    Cross hatching wore off so seat moves up and down now.

Bottom Line:
Bought Thudbuster to replace it.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Only suspension seatpost I've used last 3 years.

Bike Setup:   LX components, Cannondale Killer V 500

Submitted by roadbiker a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Works good at first

Weaknesses:    Not very reliable

Bottom Line:
Basically, it works great for a while but may develop problems later on. In my case, I bought the road version which weighs a little less, 320g, and it worked great for about half a year until it developed stiction. Now it wont go up or down unless there's a ton of force. Even with the adjustment dial turned all the way to the softest setting, it does the same thing. So now I have a wonderful 320g $80 static seatpost. Awesome.

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim,CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Price,performs as advertised,customer support,good clamp

Weaknesses:    Weight (of course it's more than a stiff tube!)

Bottom Line:
This post works great ,just as advertised. I'm 235LBS and this little jewel sure took the edge off the bumps on my hardtail. I'm writing this about the Bracer ,specifically ,as they (MTBREVIEW) don't have a seperate category for all the posts made by Post Moderne .I have had no problems with the seat clamp design or function and feel it is micro-adjustable . A positive side note -- I too (same as reviewer below) contacted Post Moderne about excessive stiffness especially when cold and was promptly sent free-of-charge an upgrade elastomer kit complete with new pre-load adjuster. Now that is customer service defined !! This thing will not turn your rigid or hardtail into an FS rig but it will soften the blows dealt out by the trail and for a very reasonable price to boot !

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 2000 , Easton EA70 risers , stem riser , Post Modern Bracer suspension post , Geax Evolution clinchers ,Performance Body Geometry grips

Submitted by Mark Bodnar a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    When it was working, it was easy to adjust, looks cool, and did take the edge off of the roots

Weaknesses:    Cheap plastic parts stripped when trying to clean it

Bottom Line:
I would definitely avoid this one if your into serious riding, the easy adjustment knob is a cool thing, but it strips out in three days. Unless you can get the end plug customized out of machined aluminum, go with the RockShox, same price, and better quality

Similar Products Used:   RockShox seatpost

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vapor all Shimano LX

Submitted by pokey a Cross Country Rider from Ak

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    This is for the Bracer post. The post is well made, has an easy to adjust 2 bolt clamp an is a nice ano black with dust boot.

Weaknesses:    MCU spring stiff in freezing temps.

Bottom Line:
Postmoderne sent me free of chg 2 coil/mcu set ups for this post. The post works well in freezing temps with the coil/mcu. Time will tell how it holds up. Good post with great company support. 4 and 4 flamers untill it passes the test of time.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Winter HT

Submitted by Jeffrey Howells from Duesseldorf, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap and easy to maintain. Nice finish.

Weaknesses:    Up to now nothing apparent except it took some time to get tuned to my weight.

Bottom Line:
I only use Brooks leather saddles (the rest are for the girls ! - and using a gel saddle is like sitting on a trifle). Teamed up with my Brooks Conquest saddle the PM1000 took some time getting tuned properly. I`ll probably revert back to my Campa post though and get more feel for the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Long distance tours.

Purchased At:   Bike store

Similar Products Used:   none - my first suspension post.

Bike Setup:   Hercules steel framed ATB. Campagnolo Daytona. Mavic wheels. Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

Submitted by ELi a Weekend Warrior from Long Valley, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Everything else- it's pretty much junk for a serious rider

Bottom Line:
I have the older model, the PM-1000. Developed stiction after only 3 rides. Adjustments and lub did not help. Might be ok for a comfort bike, but for a mountain biker, don't waster your money. It's a piece of crap.

Favorite Trail:   South Allamuchy/Deer Park