NitroPro Gas Suspension Seatpost

4.47/5 (32 Reviews)

• Gas Spring has 100% Shock Absorption not partial absorption like elastomers, coil or air springs.
  • Travel: 2.3" (100% of travel is used for absorption)
  • Spring: Nitrogen Gas Spring & Coil Spring
  • Dampening: Oil dampening
  • Extremely Tunable & Never needs rebuilding
  • Length: 405mm, Sizes: 24 available

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jjtexas a Weekend Warrior from canyon lake, texas

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2012

Strengths:    Simplicity, design, function, quality value, small company that still values quality craftsmanship over mass production, everything

Weaknesses:    Weight (same weight as cane creek, way better though ), still way logger than having full suspension.

Bottom Line:
    This is really a great design from a small, start-up company. These appear to be built to order by hand, and seem to be extremely high quality.

I switched from a 130mm travel all-mountain Marin to a 29er hardtail. The rock gardens were becoming painful. So I added the nitropro seatpost. The improvement was drastic. I can get through the rock gardens with similar ease versus full suspension, and without the pedal bob and weight penalty.

This is definitely recommended for anyone riding a hardtail 29er in rocky trails. Get one and improve your riding!

Favorite Trail:   flatrock ranch comfort, tx

Purchased At:   nitopro website

Similar Products Used:   Cane creek

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 29er ti

Submitted by Michel Bayard a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Robust construction, great comfort without vibrations or spring rebound, lighter than other systems.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I really like my NitroPro seat post. I had a full suspension bike before but I prefer a hard tail with the NitroPro seat post since it provides the quick response uphill of a hard tail with added comfort over the trail bumps. I also like the fact that this post has an initial resisting threshold that keeps the proper distance between the saddle and the pedals constant, while sitting or not on the saddle (in the absence of significant bumps).
    Thank you again for your great customer service.

Purchased At:   On line from Alumali

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek suspension seat post

Bike Setup:   Hard tail titanium 29er Motobecane

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Strengths:    I rode with my new seatpost today for the first time and was very impressed. I picked a trail that was very choppy to test the rebound control and the Nitro\'s smoothness or lack of. It passed with flying colors.
    I have ridden USE and Thudbusters and had a couple of duel suspension bikes. I like this set-up
    the best, it\'s a Blue XC-7 and the Nitro.
    Great work !!

Terry

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    If you like hard tails as I do, get this it's worth the cost.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek

Purchased At:   Nitro Pro

Similar Products Used:   USE shock post, Cane Creek ( Thudbuster), GT duel suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   Blue XC7 carbon, Nitro Pro w Fizik Arion seat, Custom wheels from The Bicycle Doctor, Shimano XT groupo.

Submitted by David Sallows a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, Qld., Australia

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Strengths:    Ease of installation. Great ride characteristics.
    Top service.

Weaknesses:    External lube may need watching.

Bottom Line:
    Since acquiring the Nitro Pro in May for fit-out of this new bicycle, I have covered about 2500km on various surfaces, including a 600km ride through mountainous country with highway bitumen, tarred gravels and some dirt roads (some of indifferent quality) and found the ride was superb, with all the little jarring notes absent. At 75kilos and fairly short, the post provides a very comfortable and predictable ride for me after a lifetime of riding "the hard stuff".
    I can't speak highly enough about it, and it should suit all recreational riders.

Favorite Trail:   Local roads and formed trails

Similar Products Used:   Spring loaded - brand unknown

Bike Setup:   Van Nicholas Mistral Titanium. Customised cruising road bike - flat bar, SRam X7 2x10 componentry etc with Selle SMP Stratos seat.

Submitted by james bond a Cross Country Rider from Paris, France

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Really smooths out the bumps

Weaknesses:    None so far (though an all-black option would be nice)

Bottom Line:
    Wow, what a difference. I ride in Paris through a large city park (dirt trails with some roots, and lots of crappy condition asphalt and cobblestone along the way) that would probably trash a good road bike. But this is just to get to a large, beautiful bike-only track in the park that runs 4 km around the Longchamps horse racetrack. Great place to do 20 km daily interval workouts, where a fast road bike would be ideal, the problem is you have to get there! So I opted for a cyclocross bike.

Without this seatpost, my back would take a beating on the ride over and back. With it, the ride is so much smoother, and no more sting when you hit a hole or a bump on the road. Yay. I ride with the seat centered on the seatpost, so no stiction issues. Product has not required any tweaking at all since installation. For roadies who want a softer ride, this is your ticket. You have no idea what a HUGE difference it makes until you try it! Will be on every future bike I own that does not have rear susp.

Favorite Trail:   Longchamps Bois de Boulogne

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Regular seatpost

Bike Setup:   Kona Dew Drop

Submitted by rcl a Weekend Warrior from RPB, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Absorbs impacts and rebounds without noticing

Weaknesses:    Screw adjustment on seatpost will come out if metal ring does not remain over the plastic insert

Bottom Line:
    I had a full suspension before purchasing the hardtail 29. After several rides, I missed the comfort of the full suspension. After installing the nitro pro, I feel I have the best of both worlds. The comfort of a full suspension and the efficiency of the hardtail. For Florida I think the 29 hardtail with the nitro pro is the best setup one could have.

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   Nitropro.com

Similar Products Used:   Thudbuster for a few miles. I did not like the return feeling.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 29 Fantom Pro SL

Submitted by Mitzbiker a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Real damping, all other suspension seatpost lacks this. Very strong.

Weaknesses:    If you prefer to set your saddle way back on the seatpost, this type of suspension seatpost does not work too well.

Bottom Line:
    This is the only one with real damping function and it make a huge difference. I have USE and Thudbuster, too. They both go down when you hit bumps but only Nitro Pro actually absorbs shocks and not push you back up right away. I suppose you have to have this one and USE or Thudbuster to really know the difference but if you want to save money, take these words and just buy this one. If you are looking for a suspension seatpost, this is the one!

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain trails

Purchased At:   Online Direct

Similar Products Used:   USE, Thudbuster.

Bike Setup:   Fat Chance Yo Eddy! with Fat Chance rigid fork. XTR and Mavic CrossMax and tubeless tires.

Submitted by nsingleton a Cross Country Rider from CANADA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    strong, nice looking, low maintenance, can adjust for climbing but is still Plush!

Weaknesses:    none. adjust the preload to your weight and it works well.

Bottom Line:
    The movement is smoooooth... Allows you to ride over some really tough ground and stay seated. If you bottom out because of the soft springs just add more preload and it stiffens up quit a bit. No more being ejected from the seat like the Thudbuster, NP has a soft rebound. Saves you energy. Weight not even an issue when compared to the beating it saves you. Cool concept very satisfied.

Similar Products Used:   Thudbuster

Bike Setup:   Norco VFR4

Submitted by catfish johnny a Cross Country Rider from Grand Haven, MI USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    In theory, well-designed and decent appearance.

Weaknesses:    Heaviest of its kind on the market. Seatpost continuously slips down into the seatpost tube no matter how tight you reef on the seatpost bolt. Requires frequent oiling. Worse of all, however, is the seatpost clamp broke while riding on a country dirt road without any warning. Thankfully I wasn't riding on a technical single track.

Bottom Line:
    Great concept, but a product is only as good as its weakest link--in this case, the seat post clamp. I was fortunate to avoid a calamity, but the thought of "what if" haunts me. I am now riding a Thudbuster LT which gives me all the travel I need (for trails in the Midwest) and is virtually maintenance-free.

Favorite Trail:   Owassipe

Purchased At:   Alumaline www.nitrop

Similar Products Used:   Thudbuster ST and Thusbuster LT.

Bike Setup:   Q-ball steel 29er with American Classic wheels and Racing Ralph tires.

Submitted by DonRique a Cross Country Rider from New Haven, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Well made. Easy to understand and use.

Bottom Line:
    I have four NitroPro posts on various cross country Mt. bikes that I own at different locations. I've found the NitroPro to be the best suspension seat post made, and a lot cheaper and lighter than a full suspension bike. You get a soft ride with hard tail control. I just ordered my fifth NitroPro post!

Favorite Trail:   U.S.A.

Purchased At:   Alumaline

Similar Products Used:   Elastomer sus posts.

Bike Setup:   Seven, 29" Redline, Cannondale, Land Shark

Submitted by maxsweet a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, Alaska

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Does what it advertises; absorbs bumps up to 3".

Weaknesses:    Saddle position can be an issue.

Bottom Line:
    As a year round commuter in Anchorage, Alaska, I needed something for my hard tail Ibex that would give my butt a break from the wide variety of road and trail conditions I face daily in the Last Frontier. Last summer I used a Spiderflex saddle which has great comfort and some suspension, but had to switch to a conventional saddle as I needed the nuance of control the nose of a regular saddle provides when navigating snow and ice covered roads and trails. During the course of the winter it's not uncommon for us to get crazy warm days in the dead of winter which rapidly melts everything then abruptly freezes again leaving challenging surfaces to traverse. I researched many suspensions systems and had nearly purchased a Thudbuster when I found many positive reviews of this product on MTBR. Although pricey (but not significantly more than a Thudbuster) I opted to purchase this seatpost.

I'm still getting the preload dialed in. I'm about 225 lbs so I opted for 100lb springs. Glad I did. I'm still adding preload in small increments trying to find the "sweet" spot. Saddle position is critical for this device to function correctly. Saddle should be centered on the rails, or, better yet, slightly forward of center. If you're cramped in the cockpit already, don't buy this. It won't perform it's best for you.

The saddle attachment was slightly different than my stock seatpost (Kuno Alloy) so I ended up repositioning my handlebars (and replacing them w/ a 711 mm wide Sunline V3) to correct my geometry in the cockpit. My KOPS is still off (if you believe in that) but I'm comfortable and my knees don't hurt.

The seatpost is fantastic! It truly and elegantly absorbs the typical bumps and grinds of commuting without being obvious. The bike now feels like it floats over small obstacles. After only 2 weeks of use I wonder how I ever rode without it. The instructions indicate that it requires a break-in period so I'm just reaching that milestone. I anticipate its performance will improve over time.

Not sure how it will fare over winter. Temps here routinely get sub-zero so I'm concerned about loss of performance due to cold. The manufacture recommends 10 wt non-detergent oil for routine lubrication but that will easily freeze @ 25 below. I may follow up w/ a post-winter review in the spring for northern riders who might be considering this product.

Favorite Trail:   Coastal Trail

Purchased At:   Alumaline www.nitrop

Similar Products Used:   Spiderflex saddle.

Bike Setup:   2008 Ibex Apline 650. Mostly stock w/ a few mods.

Submitted by Donald Threadgold a Weekend Warrior from Japan

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2008

Strengths:    Well thought out design. Well executed. Easy to maintain. Cool looking does not stand out at all. It DOES do what it was designed to do.

Weaknesses:    Suspension posts are heavier that racing posts of course.

Bottom Line:
    I tried so many suspension posts before this with no joy. I almost went for a full sus bike. The problem was that I wanted to keep the hardtail for the rack and panniers etc.

I searched and found the Nitropro on this site. At first I thought a little pricey but was impressed by the pure engineering of the thing, and just had to try it.

That was 3 years ago. Now I think it is CHEAP, because it is still working perfectly. There is no sign of wear or side play. I have lubed it once a year through laziness. I recently talked with Mark at support who answered the same day. I was asking him if I might be needing a new gas spring after all this time. He said that they deteriorate slowly so if you find you have to adjust to compensate, it is a sign of wear. I have never adjusted mine in 3 years.

When it is adjusted right for your weight it will be active constantly. When sitting in riding position it will drop about 1cm and then just absorb bumps as you go. I remember I used to have to stand for a one inch bump but never with the Nitro. It makes sitting through bigger bumps much more tolerable. It is in fact similar to a full sus bike. Not the massive travel but extremely effective in absorbing painful bumps.

If you have been trying to find a suspension seat post that WORKS get this.

Similar Products Used:   Use XCR which was ok for a year.

Bike Setup:   Steel frame Manitou SX.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Fullerton ,California ,usa

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    It really works. I think that's enough.

Weaknesses:    Kinda touchy about seat placement but once dialed in it works great. It's kept me from being able to justify buying a full suspension bike.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this seat post to save my lower back, and it really works. Keep it lubed with what is recomended and it's smooth as butter but feels strong. I just bought a new gas spring for it ($35) but other than that it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I would like to try a full suspension though. If you want to take impact of your lower back this is great. If you want to go flying off cliffs I don't think this will do anything for you, get a full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   The endless climb in Carbon Canyon

Purchased At:   Alumaline

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota AL, Marzocchi Bomber with Avid BB7 disc in front, Xt V in rear, Sun Rihno Lites, everything else XT.

Submitted by Rain Man a Cross Country Rider from AU

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Nice looking post in black with a good finish to it. Easy to see clear height markings on the post. Good clamping mechanism, a little flimsy though. Great adjustability of the gas rebound system. Very smooth action over bumps, ripples rocks and roots.

Weaknesses:    The biggest weakness of this post is the available saddle positioning. More info below...

Bottom Line:
    This is a very good suspension seatpost. The action is smooth and well damped in both directions with no "kickback" like you get with the Thudbuster.
    The only bad thing I could find in my testing of this post was the saddle positioning.
    If you position the saddle too far back on the rails in the clamp you tend to make the damper rod flex and it causes stiction with a resulting lack of movement...so you have to position the saddle at the mid-point or slightly further forward to let the damper rod slide smoothly in it's travel path.

Now this is a non-event *if* you don't need a bit more cockpit room and your KOP is correct with a straight seatpost.. but if you find that you would like to get your saddle a little further towards the rear on the rails, then this seatpost is NOT for you.

Apart from this rather major problem, the Nitro Pro is a very fine product.
    It out performs every other suspension post currently on the market simply because of the engineering and superb damping action that it employs. It is ultra smooth and really does a great job of soaking up small and medium ripples , roots and bumps on the trail.

It's ONE failing is the saddle positioning you are forced to use with this post to make it function as designed.

I give it a good score because of the design and excellent damping action of the mechanism, but the whole idea is rather let down due to it's limited saddle positioning.

R.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Alumaline

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Thudbuster. Various other suspension seatposts....

Bike Setup:   HT SIR 9 and One Niner rigid SS.

Submitted by sig a Weekend Warrior from grovetown ga. usa

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    works good for a while,good idea,

Weaknesses:    only works good for a while,then it sticks unless you are centered perfectly over the post.good idea not very well executed.my first one bent on the first ride. they sent a new one that looked different than the first.it worked for about 5 rides.i threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Bottom Line:
    too much money for a recreational seat post. this thing cant take mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   FATS