Kalloy Susp. Post Suspension Seatpost

3.14/5 (22 Reviews)

Kalloy Susp. Post

Submitted by benjie30 a Cross Country Rider from Manati, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap with great look

Weaknesses:    Too Heavy

Bottom Line:
On the first use i felt the difference, very easy to adjust

Favorite Trail:   Monagas

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 2008

Submitted by Rapido a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Nylon key

Bottom Line:
No one told me you can't try to twist this post by grabbing the seat and it busted the inner nylon/plastic key. Now the entire upper part spins freely inside the lower seat post. It is unusable. Not worth the price of postage! Maybe that's why Performance had it on sale!! They shoulda warned me about not trying to twist it into the seat tube by muscle power.

Favorite Trail:   Olympic Horse Park

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Crest no suspension

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    None,nothing.

Weaknesses:    This thing felt like I was on a board. It worked for a few days then I rode the bike off road. It felt like someone was lowering my seat and raising it without my consent. It looks like it performs, crap.

Bottom Line:
This came on the bike when I bought it. I have no idea why it was specd on the bike. I figured I would give it a try. The thing would work sometimes and other times if I hit a bunp it would stick. Then it felt like someone lowered my seat and I would have to stop and either pull on the seat or raise it until I got home. I used it for about a month before replacing it with a KORE seatpost. I gave it to a friend so I could watch him cuss it like I did. The last time I saw it it was sailing off a cliff into a trash heap. I thought suspension meant up and down not down and stuck.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with full Deore

Submitted by L C a Cross Country Rider from Porto - Portugal

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap. Does the job...

Weaknesses:    Heavy! Hard to tune.

Bottom Line:
Changed the internal coil for elastomer with a lot of judy butter. Now it works just like the Rock Shox for a bit of the price! Always need to tune collar for lateral sideplay.

Purchased At:   Local store

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Deore / Deore LX

Submitted by Ron from Austin

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, works once you fix it (explained below)

Weaknesses:    Heavy, needs fixing

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased this for my hybrid bike not wanting to spend the same amount on a post I did for the RockShox version I got for my mtb. Before receiving it but after I paid for it I had decided not to use it due to the extra weight it would add to my bike, plus I ride it all on the street so I really didnt need any suspension. I bought it used, but it had very little wear.

When I got it there was a bit of stiction in the travel, so I disassembled it. What I found was a very simple coil sprung design. I knew there was no reason for such stiction other than the real nasty cheap grease that was used. I cleaned every bit of grease out of this post and made sure it was completely clean. I then used a very very high quality automotive wheel bearing grease to coat all the internals. Once I got it back together I mounted a seat to it, set the preload, and went for a ride. It worked great. There was only a tiny tiny bit of stiction and then it was smoooooth. I believe that if this post was used for serious offroad use it would not hold up because dirt and dust would get inside and score up the telescoping shaft and cause it to freeze up. This however is a great post for recreational trail riding or street riding. All you need to do is take it apart, clean it, and use a good wheel bearing grease. Cheap grease or bicycle type lube will not hold up because its not as high viscosity. I used what is called Mystik High Temperature Grease which is very expensive at $20 per tube, but you can always use it on your car or truck and know you have the best grease on the market. Anyways, this post will work great if you dont expect too much from it. I give it 4 starts for value and overall because it can work great with a little work.

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Post

Submitted by Joseph Talerico from Westover, WV USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Very inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Very high stiction.

Bottom Line:
Very little difference in comfort between a regular seatpost and the Kalloy. Stiction is high. The cycle guy I bought it off of even lubed it for me, but when he put it on the bike and pushed down on it, no smooth travel at all. (I bought it thinking that it would loosen up. So far, I was wrong.) In fact, I have to have the seatpost collar VERY tight because when this thing finally lets go, it slams and the whole seat assembly drops. NO GOOD! (By the way, I have the spring set to the "lightest" position, so if it's going to move, it would.)

I want a good suspension seatpost, so my searching goes on. I guess I'll have to spend the big bucks on a Thudbuster or AP-1. *sigh*

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   Wamsleys Cycles

Similar Products Used:   The Kalloy is my 1st suspension post

Bike Setup:   hard tail

Submitted by Ningy Umboko a Downhiller from Ethiopia

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    it fits my bike

Weaknesses:    it very heavy.Sometime the susopension movement stops and it gets very stiff.Needs much greasing and attention.

Bottom Line:
it gives a littel bit of comfort on the hard ground but needs to lose weight.Would make a good club .

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail with steel rigd forks Deore DX and thumshifters.

Submitted by Louis a Cross Country Rider from Lakeland, FL

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Adjutable

Bottom Line:
Not sure if I have the same one that's reviewed here, mine says UNO on the post. Other reviews above complain about "stiffness" or "hardness". These came with new bikes my Wife and I ordered. Ours has a spring adjusting screw on the bottom for varying weights. My Wife weighs 100 lbs., I weigh >200 lbs. The adjusting screw worked perfectly for our weight differntial. Would not recommend for Xtreme M-biking, excellent for touring though.

Purchased At:   New on a Montague

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
No way am I paying $100 for a suspension seatpost when I can get one for $15. I have the "Streamline" model. It does the job very well, no pain whatsoever. I haven't experienced any of the sway problems others report. One thing I seem to notice is that many people treat this as some sort of shock absorber, go jump the bike off of a cliff and then claim that 'it doesn't work', but after all, it's a SUSPENSION, not a shock absorber. Anyway, this thing plus a great new seat solved my pain problems in the southern areas of my body quite admirably. Although it's a little heavier than a normal seatpost, the difference in riding comfort more than compensates for the extra weight.

Favorite Trail:   Happy ones

Bike Setup:   1996 Cannondale F400, Rock Shox front forx.

Submitted by Roger a Weekend Warrior from Bucks County, PA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Dirt cheap, solid

Weaknesses:    doesn't work, if it smoothed out any bumps I didn't notice. Maybe there was a problem with the specific one I got but it seemed to bottom out just from sitting on it, and I only weigh 160lbs.

Bottom Line:
I used it for about a year before getting a thudbuster but I'm glad I replaced it. The price can't be beat but it would probably work best for real light riders, as in kids.

Favorite Trail:   Delaware towpath

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Thudbuster

Bike Setup:   Giant rincon with thudbuster seatpost

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    It moves up and down like it's supposed to, seems like solid construction.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Bought one of these babies for $19, as I wasn't going to plop down 100+ bucks for a suspension seatpost until I was convinced these things work. What can you get for $19 these days anyways? All I can say, yes they do work as advertised! Really cushions out the bumpy roads I travel on and smooths out the hardpack trails considerably.

I put this thing on my postal scale and it came out to 540 grams (+-5 grams). Not that you would need a scale to figure out it's a brick anyways -- it's practically a lethal weapon if you want to club someone with it! Then again, any weight nut reading this will realize they aren't going to get anything lightweight for this cheap so the weight should not be an issue really. Now that I know these suspension posts work, I may seriously consider getting a lightweight, higher-cost model, with a little more travel for my future needs. For now though, I'm happy with my purchase!

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Richard from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Only an inch of travel, needs frequent lubing to overcome stiction (which otherwise prevents it from responding to small bumps), is undamped so it can propel you skyward on big hits.

Bottom Line:
If you want a cheap suspension seatpost to take the edge of bumps, the Kalloy seatpost will work, but barely. I use it on my commuter bike, which spends 3/4 of the time on the road, and is frequently locked up where it could be stolen, so I didn't want to make a huge investment. It's worked for me, in that it does a noticeable enough job of absorbing bumps. But for serious off-road riding i wouldn't recommend it -- spend the money and get a Thudbuster or Moxy seatpost instead.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Beater/commuter bike (1992 rigid Diamondback MTB).

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider from Brighton

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, longer rides are much more comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Wobbly, gets loose on long rides, heavy and very jurky action.

Bottom Line:
Very cheap seatpost brought for a long off road event. Did the job very well after 100 miles no pain at all. However the cam that tightens the suspension action kept coming loose, the shim provided with the seatpost slipped. The tightest setting needed for keeping the seatpost steady and not wobble from sise to side made the suspension action stick. So if you want the thing to work you will end up with the seatpost not only going up and down but also side to side!. Still what do you get for 30 coins these days, a cheap curry and a pint of beer, which would probably be more effective at altering the state of your arse.

Bike Setup:   Judy race, LX kit.

Submitted by VeloBat a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge,MA USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, it actually works

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I've been having lower back problems with my MB-ZIP for several years. Seems to get worse every year (naturally me getting older doesn't help). At first I thought I was becoming less flexible and that I was stretched out too much. I tried going with shorter stems but that just got me a couple of ungraceful dismounts as it really screwed up the handling .. and didn't seem to help the back pain.

Then low and behold my Orthopedist told me to put a suspension seatpost on my bike. He said he has one .. of course he only rides his bike on the street and mostly commuting so I was kinda skeptical.

There's a lot of hype around bike parts and all the wonders they'll do so I was kind of cautious and bought the cheapest seatpost I could find. It just broke my heart to replace my light Control Tech seatpost with this thing that weighs as much as the "Club" steering wheel lock that I use on my truck.

First ride and no more pain. All those nasty little surprises I get when I hit a root or something were absorbed by this thing. Second ride .. same thing. I was more than pleasntly surprised.

To be honest, now that I've found out that these things work I'm gonna go out and buy a more expensive, lighter one.

Favorite Trail:   GBF Carlisle, MA

Bike Setup:   1991 Bridgestone MB-ZIP, Mag 21 with Long travel kit, various upgrades over the years.

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Japan

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    Yes it's strong

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I should have known it wasn't possible to do it on the cheap.
This post was so hard it only came onto action on bumps where common sense tells you not to be lazy and stand up.I did a bit of damage to my ass just trying to get it to give. When I
succeeded, it was not without due regret as every action has it's equal reaction as far as springs are concerned...fly me to the moon.. I am about 150 lbs so maybe I would have been better seved by the soft spring version but I doubt it cause the USE post is a different animal.Light and constantly active ELASTOMER that damps, complements the Manitou forks nicely.