Hals G-Shock Seatpost Suspension Seatpost

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    A HT with a G-Shok is:
+ cheaper than a ST
+ lighter than a ST
+ as good as a ST on smooth paths
+ less maintenance than a ST

Weaknesses:    On a rough path with stones and roots a ST is better. But a G-Shok is much better than without.

Bottom Line:
If you have a hardtail and are considering buying a softtail - try a G-Shok before you make a decision.

Purchased At:   http://www.gshok.net

Similar Products Used:   RST

Bike Setup:   Hard Rocx Helium OVREP

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    Everything.
It is almost like riding a FS-bike with all the advantages of a HT-bike

Bottom Line:
Finally ! Almost two years after my first G-shok broke I have been able to get hold of a new one. It is even better than I remembered. A lightweight HT-bike and a G-shok must be the ultimate setup for CC-riding. The Thudbuster is not even close to the G-shok in performance.

The G-shok is now sold by Mr. Brede Arntzen in Oslo and availible at the web-site www.gshok.net. He was kind enough to give me a new seatpost for free to compensate for years of suffering from bad customer support from the reasont dealer.

Spare parts and customer support is now well taken care of by Mr. Arntzen and for the first time you can now get hold of a G-shok via a reliable dealer.

"Løp og kjøp !"

Purchased At:   www.gshok.net

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Thudbuster

Bike Setup:   Hard Rocx Helium OVREP

Submitted by Jim Dietrick a Cross Country Rider from Novato

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Great suspension action.

Weaknesses:    Support and maintenance. I have been trying to get a rebuild kit for over 4 months. It took me 6 weeks just to get to the point of placing an order. Two weeks later I inquired about my order - they said that they did not have the parts but it would ship soon. I waited for 4 weeks after they said it shipped -nothing. I inquired again, they told me my shipment was in Frankfurt, but they could not explain why. They said they would send another kit out express mail and I would have it in 3-5 days. 8 days later - nothing. I have sent emails inquiring (again) what is going on with my parts and have yet to hear a reply (it's only been two days however). The cost of the rebuild kit has also doubled since I bought one from their no defunct US affiliate two years ago. After reading reviews with similar experiences I decided I should re-post my experiences with the company. I cannot in good conscience tell anyone to buy this product based on my recent experience. It is a great product if you can maintain it, I have no evidence at this point that rebuild kits can be obtained reliably. I hope I can change this post in the near future. I will post again with the final outcome of this situation (i.e whether or not I ever get the parts).

Bottom Line:
Great product - terrible customer support! Though I should mention that Thomas at Hals-Lauritzen has been very nice and appears to have tried to help me! However, trying to help and actually helping are two different things. The internet is one of the only recourses consumers have against business's who have poor practices, hence this post (which deserves to have been written a month ago).

Purchased At:   Aardvark Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Tamer Tricky Dick

Submitted by Alan Calvitti from Cleveland OH USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    Suspension is as good as soft tail frames.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and hard to clean. I think weight could be reduced by drilling through the cage and that would also make it easier to reach the piston and spring. Of course that'd make it weaker and slightly less aerodynamic

Bottom Line:
I mostly use my mtb as transportation on roads. Have not tested it extensively offroad. But from my experience the G-shock is well worth it. You get soft tail rear suspension without the bulk, complexity and expense of a soft-tail frame

Purchased At:   direct

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper comp A1.

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, i am sorry that I have have to place a new review and tell that I am not so pleased with this product anymore.

The seatpost broke after just 3 months. Apparently this is a well known problem with the G-shock, but mr. Lauritzen is not very willing to replace it or give me the money back. Says he is broke... This sucks !

I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Submitted by Geir Hansen from Tønsberg, Norway

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    My dreams come true... I agree with Bård.. Who needs a full suspension bike?

Weaknesses:    Hav'nt found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I got this g-shok as a demo from Hals-Lauritzen but I'm holding on to this one... It's to good to loose.
It seems like they have started producing the g-shok again.
Check it out... :)

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    It's a dream on bumpy trails. Soaking up all the bumps just like that. Hwo needs a full suspension bike ?

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
This product is superb. Gives you a lot of the advantages of a F-S bike by just switching the seatpost. Still, it's your old hard-tail the second you stand pedaling.

I bought it from Mr. Hals himself here in Oslo. Don't think spare parts should be any problem ....

Bike Setup:   Hard Rocx Helium Hard tail.

Submitted by Sebastien Le Bel a Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    Bombproof construction and durability
relatively simple maintencance

Weaknesses:    Lack of availability of parts for maintenance
Too few spring rates available
Weight

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my review from Nov. 97. I've been using this post for four seasons now. I still consider it as the best suspension post available.

One major problem with this product is the lack of parts for maintenance. Even so, they can be easily 'made' from parts available at your local specialty hardware store. Specifically, I had could not easily find the nylon bushings to fit the pivot points. I found bushings of the correct thinckness, and used a reamer to make a hole to fit around the pivot points. The process was tedious but worhtwhile. This gave the seatpost a useable life of a year to year and a half (until there was significant play).

There was another problem with this product, but it was very easiy to fix. My post developped play in the joints between the actual post and pivot assembly. I cleaned out the original 'glue', then added a ton of red LockTite. This fix has endured three years so far.

The year after I got the post I decided to try to reduce it's weight in any way possible. I drilled out significant portions of the pivot assembly. Even so, the post has lasted three years of abuse. I don't recommend that anyone else try this. I mention this only to attest to this products durability.

I am sad to hear that distribution is now moving to Europe. As far as I am cocerned, it was a matter of poor marketing. This product should have made it big in North America, even given it's heafty weight.

Purchased At:   Hals...

Similar Products Used:   Ti Frame (see The Bottom Line)
Moxey Pro

Bike Setup:   litespeed Ocoee and a mish mash of components

Submitted by Nigel Woodland a Weekend Warrior from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Weaknesses:    I wanted any potential purchasers (especially those in the US) of this product to be aware of my experience in dealing with this company.

I ordered a gshok in Nov 2000. After hearing nothing for a week I emailed them and was eventually told that they had difficulty with supplies and as soon as a post was available they would ship, and let me know. My VISA card was charged in Dec, no post had arrived. After a number of calls/emails I eventually received a reply in Jan stating that my seatpost had been shipped in Dec, and offering to reship. I had decided on the strength of this customer service to ask for a refund.

The company declined to credit my VISA card stating " We have closed the US operations and moved to Europe. We will be concentrating our efforts on the European bike market from now. We cannot credit your card as we have discontinued our US merchant account. "

On Jan 25th they offered to send me a check.....as of Feb 5th I am still waiting.

Bottom Line:
I was willing to purchase this product on the strength of mtbr reviews, despite the heavy price. I found the company very unresponsive, and I am still waiting for my money back. Not a good experience.

Favorite Trail:   Kennedy Rd

Purchased At:   online at www.gshok.com

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Plush and no annoying rebound.
Works precisely as it should.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful product. It does the job beautifully and the setup is easy and foolproof. Though the U.S.E. post I have on one bike works well, the G-Shok provides better protection while not effecting riding efficiency. Please note that the phone number on the web site is no longer accurate, so you should leave a piece of mail for Espen.

Similar Products Used:   Power Post Moab; U.S.E. XCR

Bike Setup:   Stock Cannondale F700

Submitted by Dan Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    Soaks up bumps, super sturdy, no bobbing, no weird forwards/backwards motion, no stiction. Super-plush.
Very importantly -- works in the cold.

Weaknesses:    None too light, none too cheap.

Bottom Line:
It makes an _amazing_ difference to the speed I can go over little bumps -- sure, it's not 8 inches of rear travel, but it lets me just hammer over the vast majority of non-technical terrain and not get kicked around all over the place; riding on bumpy trails/roads is a whole world different. I tried putting the old rigid seatpost I had before this on a month or so back just to see if I was imagining the improvement, but I wasn't -- it was no fun getting kicked around that much after I've got used to the comfort of the g-shok.

It's occasionally been weird to be cycling over rough terrain and have a weird vibrating sensation in my feet; I can't feel them in my arms, or my butt, so only my feet can tell they're there.

I'm sure a genuine softtail would do a better job of soaking bumps up, but then you get all the biopacing issues -- with any suspension seatpost you could theoretically get this if you sit down and have a really rough pedal stroke, but it's actually been a useful way for me to improve my spinning, because when my spin goes to pieces I can feel myself bobbing up and down as my weight moves. Standing up, though, obviously nothing happens; sitting down and spinning smoothly, no problems, the bumps just vanish.

The other critical thing about this seatpost as compared to, say, a Thudbuster or a Moxey is that it uses springs, not elastomers. That may not matter to a lot of people, but I cycled through last winter on this thing, and at -20 celsius, elastomers turn solid -- and cycling over bumpy rutted ice is a lot easier when you're not bouncing around all over the place. If you need a suspension seatpost that works in the cold, this is what you want.

Overall: I honestly can't imagine any way that something could work better than this does; other ones may well be as good, but I don't think they're any better. And the G-Shok sure looks cool..

Similar Products Used:   Tested a few of the telescoping ones in shops (coda, etc).

Bike Setup:   '94 Specialized S-Works, bomber up front

Submitted by Jim Dietrick a Cross Country Rider from Novato, CA US

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely good suspension! Absorbs bumps big and small. Easily adjustable, easy to rebuild. Looks cool!

Weaknesses:    No dampening, but still waaahh!

Bottom Line:
Superb product! All the advantages of a hardtail with the bumps smoothed out. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't turn a HT into DH bike, but it absorbs some pretty big hits, and allows you to hammer through rough sections. I can't say enough good things about it. I just rebuilt mine and as long as I have replacement pins (which reminds me I think I'll order a couple extra sets ($12.00 ttl) to have on hand) I believe this seatpost will outlast me. It is rock solid and has a very nice machined look to it! Lot's of looks and questions on the trail. Just go get one you won't regret it!

Favorite Trail:   Pollock Benches Fruita, CO

Similar Products Used:   Tamer Carbon Susp.

Bike Setup:   Salsa Ala Carte Frame (Petaluma not MN), Hugi fnt on a Rhino lite, C. King back on a Mavic 521. White cranks/bottom. XTR front rear der., brakes, shifters/levers, Cassette. Real Rings, C. King headset, salsa stem, Look pedals (the best!), Velociraptors, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Wrench a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Quality construction, excellent damping action. I received good, prompt service from Hals-Lauritzen (I noticed that some of the reviewers have had problems in the past).

Weaknesses:
I'd like to see them offer a stiffer spring. Otherwise, no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Once you've installed and configured the G-Shok correctly, it performs like a dream. I'm 6' 5, 240 Lbs, and I have some lower back problems that kept me off my mountain bike. I researched the suspension seatposts that are currently available, and G-Shok looked to be the best design. On a ride, the G-Shok just floats...you don't even notice the action. You do notice that it's working, because your ass and back hurt a lot less after a jarring ride. 5 fiery opossums!

6 months

Rock Shox, USE

Cannondale Caad 4, Truvativ Stylo, SRAM ESP brakes, and shifters, Cane Creek WAMs

Submitted by Larry a Cross-Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely active and plush for small to medium bumps.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
After nearly two years of use commuting on this seatpost, I wanted to add an update to my original post of Oct. 1997, see below. I still find this unit the best in ironing out small to medium bumps, without bouncing you off the saddle like the Quadripivot. My full susp. Intense UZZI SL is better suited for the large hits. Action is still velvety smooth and quiet, though I'm getting just a barely perceptible bit of play in the bushings now, though nothing like the visible side to side wobble my Thudbuster has.

many

2 Years

Thudbuster Quadrapivot, several of the new telescoping models.

Miyata Ridge Runner rigid bike

Submitted by Ron a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
Very plush with 2.5 of travel. I've been riding faster and more aggressive from the moment it was installed. I can also ride twice the distance as on a rigid post without developing a sore back.

Weaknesses:
A bit heavier than the competition.

Bottom Line:
The best upgrade from a rigid post you can make. It allows faster and more aggressive riding while also greatly improving comfort. Worth every bit of the few extra ounces.

2 Years

I haven't had the opportunity to ride any other suspension posts.

Specialized StumpJumper M2 frame with Marzocchi Atom Bomber Z2 front suspension.