Giani LP Suspension Seatpost Suspension Seatpost

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Giani LP Suspension Seatpost

Submitted by Jared a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
value
light weight
easy to maintain

Weaknesses:
travel

Bottom Line:
I got this seatpost when they first came out. I was looking for something cheap & easy to maintain. This was also pretty light, so it fit the bill. I knew it wasn't going to give me the plush ride of a FSB, but I didn't want the extra weight of an FSB.It has performed great for all these years. There was a slight stiction problem at first, but that quit after a month or so of use. I just keep it lubed, and it works great.When I ordered it, I wasn't sure what elastomer to order, so they gave me three! I've switched them out from time to time, and it allows me a lot of flexibility in my riding.I believe that Giani may not be around any longer, but I just wanted to put the word out, just in case you run across one in your local bike shop some day.

more than 3 years

Univega 701 Aluminum

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight
simple design
easy to maintain

Weaknesses:
Not enough travel during cold winter rides
Not enough cushion

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this seatpost for about a year. It has held up very well. I am a very demanding rider. However, the elastemer could be softer, I am using the soft rated elastemer for more cushion
or a small spring could be inserted above the tube plug to give more flex travel. Unless the seat tube is kept greased the seat tube binds with the travel slot.

A,B,C loops at Highland Michigan

1 Year

Hard tail 700 Cannondale

Submitted by Jim a cross-country rider from Warrenton VA.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I order this post for my Cannondale F400 after a 120 mile trail ride made my butt divorce my seat.
It worked great for about 3 weeks, but then bent over like Monica in front of
Wild Bill. I can understand the inner post, being smaller diameter and hollow
cored bending, But the outer post? they must have used real thin tube stock to shave weight on this one. I'm no Clydesdale, weight in at 160lbs,so this post was'nt subject to what i consider to be abnormal abuse.Definintely not suited
for agressive single track use.Might be ok if you just ride fire roads.Shame though, has 1.9' travel and did not torque side to side much at all,,but Hell if it breaks on ya, what good is it?Might be too much seat stay angle is putting the force back instead of down .I paid $100 for this physics lesson..

Submitted by Ted a weekend warrior from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I ordered my LP directly from Giani and received it in 3 days. Total cost $99. The springy boot just under the seat clamp is the point of attachment for my Cannondale seat pack (which still works anyway) and the post has slipped down slightly after 2 rides. I will have to try to tighten the seat QR. Overall it does a very good job of evening out the bumps on the road which is the reason I purchased it. But since I don't have any experience with other suspension seatposts e.g. as the cheaper girvin or nashbar, I can't really compare.

Submitted by Brooke a racer from Tampa FL

Date Reviewed: February 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

If you weigh more than 185, its not for you. Bent mine the first time out. The aluminum post seemed to bend back because of the angle of your weight rather than compressing the shock. May have something to do with the angle of your seatstay as well. I ride a trek cro-mo 18.

Submitted by Jack K. a weekend warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

The Gianipost is very well made and well engineered,
especially considering the price. The LP model is intended
mainly for road bikes, which is where I'm using it, and
allows for less travel than the regular Giani model.
Unlike the USE, PM1000 and standard Tamer models the Giani
uses a seatpost clamp with the standard amount of offset,
allowing your position on the bike to remain the same as
a standard seatpost. The LP *does not* use shims, but
rather comes in the correct size for your seat tube. No
worries about slippery shims. Note that Giani are the
folks who actually designed and manufacture the CODA
sus post. Supposedly the CODA is an aolder design, but
sells for nearly $130!!! Geezzz ... that's about an extra
$60 so they can print CODA on the side of the post.
I couldn't be happier with the post or the service I've
recieved from Giani. Buy it, you'll like it.

Submitted by JACK P. a racer from PHOENIX

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've tried the other seat posts, like the MOXEY, TAMER, and also the ANSWER BODY SHOCK. Well for starters the Body Shock boot shattered under my ass. The Moxey made me fell like I was going to hit the tire, and the Tamer, nuff said. I ordered the GIANI, it was the best thing I never bought. There was no stiction, and no side-to-side play. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS SEAT POST TO ANYONE!!!!!!