Cane Creek Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost

4.59/5 (507 Reviews)

Thudbuster Suspension Post

Submitted by Ken Christensen

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    Do not know of strengths, I ordered from Thudbuster and did not receive product!

Weaknesses:    I ordered the seat post and they emailed me a receipt. After a month I still have not received anything. All of my calls go to voice mail and emails are not acknowledged. Are they still in business?

Bottom Line:
No customer service at this company. Many calls and emails never returned. Cancelling credit card charge.

Submitted by Oldslowhurt

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2013

Strengths:    Sturdy. I have 2 and have been using them a few times a week for about 6 years (from April to Nov) with no maintenance except for an occasional greasing or oiling of all moveable parts.

Weaknesses:    Not as good as full suspension but as close to it as you can get.

Bottom Line:
I have used Long Travel Thudbusters, Rockshox, White Bros Air, and Nitropro Gas, and none give the travel or the smooth ride of a TB LT in the rough stuff. Yeah they have kickback, but we are cleated in so that really isn't an issue. 2 friends also use them on their carbon fiber hardtails which they race.

Favorite Trail:   Hickory Ridge & Namakagon Trail

Duration Product Used:   6 years

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox, White Bros Air, and Nitropro Gas

Bike Setup:   2003 Schwinn Homegrown with a TB LT, 2009 Gary Fisher X-Kaliber 29er with a TB LT and Stan's NoTubes Crest wheelset.

Submitted by rich

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic product. Makes your butt float. Nice and buttery

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my hardtail and it is amazing! It's like butter. I have more control when sitting because my butt is not bouncing off the seat when I pedal. I can ride better too because I don't have to worry about protecting my back, which no longer hurts when I am done riding.

Submitted by Marc

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    Does what is says it'll do
Well built

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey but WELL worth it

Bottom Line:
I have had a Thudbuster LT one at least one of my bikes for over a decade now....EXCELLENT product. Traditional suspension seat posts don't compare due to sticktion and the fact that your body positon moves closer, then farther away, from the pedal. Thudbuster keep your body the same distance from the pedals.

I've found that using a slightly softer elastomer combination than recommended yields the best result. At 215 lbs, I should be using one black and one blue, but I use two of the softer blue ones. You can then dial in the suspension by a) tightening the preload, and/or b) move your seat slightly forward, giving your body less leverage to move the elastomer. I agree with an earlier comment that you may want to shorten your stem slightly for optimal geometry, but this is by no means a requirement.

For reference: most of my trail riding on this post was with a carbon hardtail. The combination is awesome. I've since bought a Niner RIP full suspension for most of my mouintain stuff (I'm 48 now) but have moved my still fully functionning (after 11 years) Thudbuster to my city bike.....a fisther ziggurate aluminum frame paired with a rock shox reba fork and thin 700c Mavic Speedcity wheels all sitting under the thudbuster and an all leather 'pre-aged' brooks leather saddle. WOW!

Submitted by CT a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Strengths:    Does exactly what it says it does.

Weaknesses:    You MUST shorten your stem by 10mm to provide the correct geometry and not kill your knees - Cane Creek should tell you this as a mandatory procedure, but they don't. This is a MUST.

Bottom Line:
So, here's the real deal...in the San Juan Mountains, where I ride, everything is either up or down. Piloting an aluminum hardtail over these rock and root strewn trails is not an easy thing. My problem - I love hardtails. FS bikes don't have the maneuverability or trail response that a hardtail does and moreover they change your riding style. The Thud makes the trails bearable, adds better tracking to the back of the bike and allows you to stay in the seat more. It is not like a FS bike. It's bouncy and will sometimes pops you out of the seat for a brief second on big rollers. However, it also soaks us all the little stuff (as long as you pedal through it) and does not send through your lower back and sit bones. It makes you a more efficient rider - point blank. It changes your riding style ever so slightly, but for the better. However, as I stated above, this changes your geometry slightly - you must readjust (usually by slightly shortening your stem) so that you don't put additional stress on other parts of your body.

IMPORTANT NOTES: If this is hurting your knees - you have it set up wrong. If you're an older person looking to soften the ride, you should get a full-carbon or FS bike or stop riding rough trails altogether. If you have back problems, you should limit your riding - the Thud will not take all the stress out of your lower back - it just distributes it better. If you live in a place with rocky root-filled trails and you are tried of getting ejected off the seat of you hardtail, this is the post for you. I can't imagine putting a Thud LT on a road bike, but then-again, some people live in NYC.

Favorite Trail:   Rudy's

Purchased At:   aebikes.com

Bike Setup:   Custom Mrazek Boh FX hardtail, Thompson Stem, All SRAM groupo, Chris King headset, custom Hugi wheels.

Submitted by stephen watkinson

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    super strong

Weaknesses:    none that i can think of

Bottom Line:
decided to use product when i bought my scott scale carbon hardtail i have a underlying back problem and riding my bike
with the thudbuster fitted was a blessing it was almost like having full suspension fitted i ditched full suspension because
tired off shelling out for pivot bushes this product combined with my carbon hardtail was definately the answer anybody
with back problems this product is the solution i know it s a bit expensive but not as much as changing pivot bushes

Submitted by Rubber Duck

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    It will definitely make those long rides easier on your behind.

Weaknesses:    none that I've encountered

Bottom Line:
It's a little expensive but it works as advertised. (very well)

Submitted by NewhallWheeler

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Give a hardtail some "rear suspension" without the complexity. All the benefits of a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Been using the TB for more than 10 years, I'm on my second. I ride some intense fire roads and single track, most are advanced technical rides with steeeeeep climbs and intense downhills and the TB has held up and given me what I hoped for from day 1. Its NOT a real suspension, however it is a great addition to a hard tail and I found myseld able to ride trails faster and smoother.

Submitted by Russell Daniel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    great for making a hardtail a softer ride

Weaknesses:    heavy, big and ineffective while standing

Bottom Line:
I bought the LT seat post for my hard tail 29er to ease back pain but to get the full effect I had to always be seated. Also it made my seat be more tilted back witch was in the way while leaning back going downhill. Overall it did make my back pain a little less on long rides.

Submitted by san0 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    It works! Looks like a techy bit of kit.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
After trying it out on my friends hardtail mtb, I realy wanted one for my Cube Ltd Pro. Waited for ages for the right diameter post on ebay.
It just irons out all the little bumps and so is smoother on your spine and butt, so you can ride longer.
One year on and now I have it on my Salsa Vaya too.
Changing elastomers is easy - too 10 mins if you leave the saddle and the post in the bike. Watch the official how to video on YouTube for tips.

Bike Setup:   cUBE lTD pRO, sALSA vAYA

Submitted by cdub a Weekend Warrior from Central Texas

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2012

Strengths:    Ease of installation/changing elastomers. Comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Ugly!

Bottom Line:
This thing is AMAZING! I have been riding hardtails for a loooong time and the years have taken a toll on my back. I'm 6'3" 225lbs so I'm no featherweight. I heard about the Thudbuster and decided to give it a try. I could feel a HUGE difference immediately. I've seen many people complaining about the difficulty of changing the elastomers but all you have to do is use a vice to hold it and its a piece of cake. Took me 2 minutes. I'm very impressed and am looking forward to tearing up the rocky Central Texas trails AND the San Juan Hut System (Durango, CO to Moab, UT) this summer!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Thudbuster.com

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox suspension post

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi 29er

Submitted by Skurvee a Weekend Warrior from Bentonville, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Well made. Strong. Absorbs shock well.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I rode on the RockShox suspension seat post (one with polymer ealstomer) for 3 years. It wasn't that great. Finally got a Thudbuster. Huge difference. It has so much give when you land on it...lots of travel. It does not make up for a full suspension bike, but I'm a hard tail guy anyways. I would urge anyone with a HT to get one. I didn't want to spend that much for it, but in the end it is well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Den, AR

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   RockShox suspension seat post

Bike Setup:   Giant Revel 0, Race Face Good n' Evil grips, Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals, Thudbuster LT, WTB saddle, more to come

Submitted by malthebikeguy a Weekend Warrior from Bath, UK

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Does what it says on the tin (if it came in a tin that stated "the best suspension seatpost out there")

Weaknesses:    None really. People mention weight, but that is relative and the performance gain when you are off road is astounding! The price seems high but in performance gain terms I think is acceptable.

Bottom Line:
I work as a bike mechanic and I truly believe the CC Thudbuster is one of the best conceived mountain bike products on the market. The action in use is hardly noticable and yet the minute things get bumpy your smile is hard to hide. Yes it costs a bit, and yes it would be good if a lighter version was available but I think we are missing the point. If you own a hardtail and only ride tame trails then before you run out and buy a susser give one of these a consideration. I know a couple of friends (we are all getting a little older now) whose cycling life has been transformed by investing some money in one of these. My back is certainly happier these days while riding. If you get a chance to ever give one a go - take it! You may never look back.

Favorite Trail:   Wales trail centres

Similar Products Used:   USE alien sus post, Post Moderne sus post

Bike Setup:   On-One 29er Scandal, salsa rigid forks, avid BB7, CC Thudbuster LT post

Submitted by yzfvet a Cross Country Rider from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    LT - Does exactly what is described to do. Well built and adjustable.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is 8 extra ounces, but it is 8 ounces that can make you faster.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden full supsension 26'ers and switched to a 29er hardtail about a year and a half ago. The full suspension 26'er was too vague feeling. Loved the 29er hard tail, and like it even more now. The elastomer setting seemed spot on once I dialed in the preload, and anything under 2 inches is no longer there. Over 2 inches it is best to stand up and squeeze the saddle. Great for areas with alot of 2-3 inch embedded rocks. Like a full suspension bike for the first 2 inches, but when standing I get the instant feedback I like from a hard tail. Well worth the 8 ounces. I only gave a 4 on the value, since I would like to see a lighter version - even it was a little more expensive. P.s. elastomers are easy to change, and slide your seat forward an inch or so to compensate for the action.

Favorite Trail:   varies

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er.

Submitted by isaacs a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Simple and effective

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I love single speed bikes, but I can no longer take the pounding of rigid or even HT bikes. I run the Thudbuster with harder elastomers than the chart suggests and it still provides plenty of comfort compared to a HT. I bought mine new-in-box from ebay but it showed up with a missing part. An email to the manufacturer was answered immediately. I got the part within a couple of days. Great service.

Favorite Trail:   A-wood