Cane Creek Thudbuster LT Suspension Seatpost

3G -The 3rd generation ofThudbuster seatposts from Cane Creek. A full 3 inches ofTravel with a preload adjustable,Two-stage elastomer shock. Quality construction with an aluminum mast and links.The 3G features a forged linkage with wider-spaced bushingsTo increase lateral stiffness and a micro-adjust seat clamp. Split link arms enable ease of disassembly inThe field, and simple bushing replacement. Lusting after a full-suspension ride, but just can't afford it right now?TheThudbuster is a great

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Comfort
adjustability

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Just rode for first time on Thudbuster LT, makes hardtail a lot smoother and comfortable. Don't regret it at all. Ordered directly from Thudbuster and received it in 4 days with the elastomers I needed. Pricey but I think it will be worth it. Ordered another for my wife I liked it so much.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar Elite

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Just got my first ride with Thudbuster. With my Giant Roam 2 have amazing comfort ride on single track. Like in a back seat of limo. Even nasty roots and stones trail you still seating. Completely invert all my MTB expirience.

Weaknesses:    Not yet

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Six Miles Run, NJ

Duration Product Used:   just got

Purchased At:   Mr C's Cycle

Bike Setup:   Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2012

Strengths:    It just plain works as promised, and as well as I'd hoped. Easy to adjust to individual's needs/tastes. Extra bushings included. Seat clamp abnormally easy to use (but also potential weakness, see below). Nicely made. Crushes pre-purchase reservations.

Weaknesses:    A tad pricey. A tad heavy. A tad ugly. Seat clamp may not be the most secure for some- one bolt is harder to to get to due to the suspension linkage so it has ring for hand-tightening. That said, it was plenty secure enough for me.

Bottom Line:
Purchased to soften my transition from 26er soft tail to 29er hard tail. I gather many Thudbuster buyers are doing the same? The one trade-off that I was not literally comfortable with was in-the saddle abuse on fire roads, non-technical singe track, etc. Happy to say the seatpost restores practically all the comfort of full-suspension.

I'm 178 lbs and at the upper range of the stock medium bushings, and for my tastes It did get a little springy over rougher stuff. Thankfully Cane Creek supplies extra bushings to tune it one's weight and preferences. Pre-load is also adjustable. One will notice the seat rotating back and down when the trail gets choppy. There's no effect on pedaling per se, it just seems to feel that way. Otherwise, over average trail conditions it performs almost invisibly.

Thank the God this thing exists otherwise I might still be machinating over my switch to a hardtail.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   None tried.

Bike Setup:   Stock '12 Trek X-Caliber.

Submitted by Harry

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Takes the extra abuse off my low back which kept me OFF my bike for years.

Weaknesses:    None for me.

Bottom Line:
The Thudbuster LT has been the difference between riding my hardtail or not. Due to low back issues, I'd basically given up on something I've loved for many years, riding. This post provides just enough 'give' to keep me out there on my bike without major pain i'd previously experienced. I've always had reasonable skills and tend to stand up over difficult/technicial terrain anyway, but when your 'gassed, or just want to cruise on level sections, it's great to be able to enjoy an FS ride feel on my HT and not give be forced to give up my favorite ride for a FS if I dont want to.
DO GET the elastomer Kit, I found that my acceptable Cush was with a lighter set of elastomers, be prepared to play with this as well as the preload to correctly dial this in.
Many have suggested the 'weight penalty', once I established my ride height I cut off all excess except to have it hang about an inch below my TT, which is just about where the 'minimum line' bottomed out if installed in the tallest position, so I assumed the rest was weighty excess. So cut off what you dont need!
The only thing I had a small issue with is the supplied Crudbuster is direction specific, meaning if you put it on backwards the top pivot tends to stick out. The velcro should be in the front on the LT, you'll know when installing, one way it just 'drops' right on. I think this is a fantastic product for anyone experiencing back pain that may keep them away from their bike. 5 Chilis for Me!!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point, Suffolk L.I., N.Y.

Bike Setup:   '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp Hardtail

Submitted by Adam

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    very comfortable easy to install and change elastomer for weight specific setup

Weaknesses:    a little on the ugly side

Bottom Line:
I read many reviews about the thudbuster before I bought one and everyone has been spot on. I ride a HT 29er and it made all the difference in the world for how I ride. I can stay in the saddle longer with more comfort which keeps my legs fresh for the tougher parts of the trail. I feel like I can turn more laps with less effort now. Some people posted the weight increase was a problem but unless you are riding a full carbon top of the line bike I seriously doubt you will notice it. I think I climb better now because I can save my legs for the climbs. I would say if you are thinking about getting one just do it. It is well worth the price.

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT ST

I have searched and read a couple reviews on this seat post. I love ridding my hardtail again but my pubic bone does not. I tend to stand on climbs and descents so that is not an issue but riding on fast rooty single track is doing its toll. How well do these posts work with this type of terrain? Th ... Read More »

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT

Any reviews on the thudbuster Lt? I am considering one and would like to know about other riders experiences with them. Thanks!Read More »

First Ride Impressions: Thudbuster LT

Just got back not too long ago from my first ride with the Thudbuster LT. Ride: Gary Fisher 06 Piranha I was having major butt pain from trail riding from the swarm of roots that appear everywhere, I think it was a 2 part problem. My saddle and the bumps. I treated myself to some fathers d ... Read More »

CC Thudbuster LT vs ST - anyone tried both?

Hi y'all. I've had a Cane Creek Thud 3G (long travel) on my hardtail bike for years, and my spine thanks me. It's been great and I definitely would not consider building another HT without one. I've tried other suspension seatposts, and there's simply no comparison, but that's already been said b ... Read More »

Thudbuster LT on my Mariachi?

I have an 18" Mariachi, and was thinking about putting a Thudbuster on it. I went to the website, and it says I need to be showing at least 5.5 inches in seatpost to be able to fit it. I am showing about 3.5 inches in seatpost right now. I am 5'10" with a 31 inseam, and am able to get the balls of m ... Read More »