Cane Creek ST Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

ST stands for "short-travel" - 1.3" ofTravel is ideal for cross-country racers, road, or comfort riding where you just needToTakeThe edge off bumps withoutThe complexity of aTrue suspension solution. A patented 4-pivot force aligned parallel linkage keepsThe pedalTo saddle distance nearly constantThrough itsTravel. An aluminum mast and links, rebuildable stainless pivots, and bronze-impregnated PTFE coated steel bushings keepThe weight downTo 460 grams - barely moreThan aTraditional rigid post.

Submitted by Bart Windrum a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2016

Strengths:    It does what it's supposed to do, very well, to profoundly positive affect on the body.

Weaknesses:    Weight. It's not as bulky on the bike as it looks in pictures. Neoprene cover ("glove") is pricey at $16 (2016) but will keep it clean and overcome UV breakdown of elastomer, to totally worth it in the long run.

Bottom Line:
I've owned bikes all my life but never ridden much as they weren't comfortable. Now 63, I'm 2 years into riding a modest but decent machine that fits me well. Have expanded my rides; typical minimum circuit is 16 miles; out/backs in the 30 mile range. The latter especially have resulted in feeling fairly wasted the next day or two. My first ride with the Thudbuster ST was 27 miles mostly on chipped stone gravel. When I replaced the OE WTB Nano tires with the far superior Schwalbe Marathon Mondial touring shoes, I could feel and describe the more efficient roll and the cushion (the latter due to stronger sidewalls allowing 20lb less inflation).

Describing the gain from the Thudbuster is more challenging. I can't point to some particular irregularity in the route and say "aha, running over that feels this way now." But the profound difference, which I was not prepared for, is that the day after a 27 mile out/back I am not wasted. I didn't just magically bust through some mental-physical barrier. This is a fundamental physical difference. Which makes sense when viewing the several vids on YouTube showing the ST in action, in constant motion as it absorbs Gs and deflects. It's easy to understand all those forces, small and large, transmitting directly into the spine, musculature, and viscera. This suspension seat post provides a profound service to the bod. And you can find an online review with a pictorial chart measuring the ST as among the most effective suspension seat posts available.

I have done, and recommend you do, two things: first, be sure the 4 corners of the rubber elastomer are lubed; lithium or wax lube is fine. My third-party post (new/unused but who knows how long in storage) was dry there and I couldn't deflect the post by hand at first; after lubing it easily deflects. Less 'stiction', I suppose. Next, go down the $$$16.00 for the neoprene cover ('glove) to keep the pivots and elastomer clean, and the elastomer protected from UV degradation. Doing so will reduce your maintenance schedule to 1-2 x/year.

My purchase price was increased by the cost of the glove and of a shim.

Purchased At:   Craigslist (new unus

Similar Products Used:   Tamer Weekender, but this basic seat post moves up/down inline with the post shaft, not inline with forces projected by the rear wheel, so it's not really 'similar.'

Bike Setup:   Novara Torero 29er hardtail. Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2" tires 45/front, 50/rear. Bike ~35lbs; another 20lbs components and stuff. I'm 175.

Submitted by Jinxy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, effective, works well.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
Takes the edge off hard bumps - the ones you don't see coming when you're tired. The minimal travel doesn't interfere with my spin or create bounce. I don't need or want FS, this is just enough cushion to make long days a little easier. I rarely notice it unless an unexpected bump come along. The slight additional weight is well worth the benefit. Nice addition to an aluminum hardtail.

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant XTC1 29.

Submitted by Badassbassangler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Built-in setback (for my geo)
Serviceability
Simplicity
Dual clamp with easy angle adjustment
Graduated post

Weaknesses:    Can't fine tune an elastomer.

Bottom Line:
I was hesitant to buy the ST due to the absense of adjustability. My previous experiance was with a Rock Shox post that has since been discontinued. Although the process was a bit "pedestrian" the Rock Shox was tuneable. Although the ST is not tuneable, it is interchangeable. Cane Ckeek supplies 3 elastomer bumpers that can be taken to the trails and switched out with a single 3mm allen wrench.

At 220# with a fully loaded Camelback, multitool, snacks, etc. I started out with the x-tra firm bumper and had no complaints until about 2 hours into a 2 1/2 hour trail ride, (LET IT BE KNOWN...I ride my bike like a hardtail and mostly rely on some cush-in-the-tush for seated uphill efforts). That being said, I found that later in the ride I was wanting a bit more cush, as I was getting tired and wanted to stay seated. This may have been attributed to the ground reaction forces having to go through a cushy 2.35" rear tire @ 25psi; thereby, robbing the ST of the force needed to take advantage of its full 1 1/2" of travel.

My next move was to change out x-tra firm for a firm bumper and switch to a 1.9" rear @ 30psi...BINGO!
Although sag was measured at 3/4", (which at 50% of the travel seems high), I never felt a harsh bottoming or that I was going to "boing" out of my seat. The tire was still supple enough to get good traction and didn't interfere with how the post works. Just make sure you raise the post a bit to compensate for the additional sag.

So, in a way, it is tuneable if you want to experiment with tire widths, pressures, and the 3 bumpers they include.

This product is perfect for seated hardtail climbing and takes the edge off of small diameter seated log crosses. As long as you spin lightly while seated on the flats and recognize its limitations, it can turn a hardtail into an epic trail rider.

Who should buy this? Anyone with an extra $143 in their pocket that wants to spice up their relationship with their current ride or someone like me that wants a rigid front and just a little rear-cush.

Favorite Trail:   Allegrippis