Cane Creek ST Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

ST stands for "short-travel" - 1.3" ofTravel is ideal for cross-country racers, road, or comfort riding where you just needToTakeThe edge off bumps withoutThe complexity of aTrue suspension solution. A patented 4-pivot force aligned parallel linkage keepsThe pedalTo saddle distance nearly constantThrough itsTravel. An aluminum mast and links, rebuildable stainless pivots, and bronze-impregnated PTFE coated steel bushings keepThe weight downTo 460 grams - barely moreThan aTraditional rigid post.

Submitted by Jinxy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, effective, works well.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
Takes the edge off hard bumps - the ones you don't see coming when you're tired. The minimal travel doesn't interfere with my spin or create bounce. I don't need or want FS, this is just enough cushion to make long days a little easier. I rarely notice it unless an unexpected bump come along. The slight additional weight is well worth the benefit. Nice addition to an aluminum hardtail.

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant XTC1 29.

Submitted by Badassbassangler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Built-in setback (for my geo)
Dual clamp with easy angle adjustment
Graduated post

Weaknesses:    Can't fine tune an elastomer.

Bottom Line:
I was hesitant to buy the ST due to the absense of adjustability. My previous experiance was with a Rock Shox post that has since been discontinued. Although the process was a bit "pedestrian" the Rock Shox was tuneable. Although the ST is not tuneable, it is interchangeable. Cane Ckeek supplies 3 elastomer bumpers that can be taken to the trails and switched out with a single 3mm allen wrench.

At 220# with a fully loaded Camelback, multitool, snacks, etc. I started out with the x-tra firm bumper and had no complaints until about 2 hours into a 2 1/2 hour trail ride, (LET IT BE KNOWN...I ride my bike like a hardtail and mostly rely on some cush-in-the-tush for seated uphill efforts). That being said, I found that later in the ride I was wanting a bit more cush, as I was getting tired and wanted to stay seated. This may have been attributed to the ground reaction forces having to go through a cushy 2.35" rear tire @ 25psi; thereby, robbing the ST of the force needed to take advantage of its full 1 1/2" of travel.

My next move was to change out x-tra firm for a firm bumper and switch to a 1.9" rear @ 30psi...BINGO!
Although sag was measured at 3/4", (which at 50% of the travel seems high), I never felt a harsh bottoming or that I was going to "boing" out of my seat. The tire was still supple enough to get good traction and didn't interfere with how the post works. Just make sure you raise the post a bit to compensate for the additional sag.

So, in a way, it is tuneable if you want to experiment with tire widths, pressures, and the 3 bumpers they include.

This product is perfect for seated hardtail climbing and takes the edge off of small diameter seated log crosses. As long as you spin lightly while seated on the flats and recognize its limitations, it can turn a hardtail into an epic trail rider.

Who should buy this? Anyone with an extra $143 in their pocket that wants to spice up their relationship with their current ride or someone like me that wants a rigid front and just a little rear-cush.

Favorite Trail:   Allegrippis