White Brothers Judd Springs Shock Upgrade

4.41/5 (27 Reviews)

White Judd Springs

Submitted by Byron Takeuchi a Weekend Warrior from San Gabriel, CA 91776

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
It's like night and day compared to the stock springs and elastomers. I weigh in at about 195 lbs and like to ride hard, so the stock springs were too soft and pogoey for me

Favorite Trail:   Gabrielino Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Gt STS, Judy XL, Super Deluxe Shock, Race Face LP, XTR r, XT f, XT v-brakes, 517-xtr wheels w/ IRC Missles.

Submitted by Bicky a Cross-Country Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
very lively

Weaknesses:
bottoming and topping out

Bottom Line:
I am always looking at the new forks, but I have not been convinced as of yet to replace my 97 Judy with the Judd springs and the Hardbody cartridge. I have the DH springs because I weigh over 200 pounds. Anyways, because I can not find a fork that offers as lively a feel as mine, I think I will wait until this fork trashes out on me before I will lay down the cash on a new fork. I am fairly convinced that forks will be even better then they are now.

Nunya

2 Years

stock rock shox TypeII
many oyher suspension forks

Dagger FSI
97 Judy

Submitted by YoungTom a cross-country rider from VA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

Best thing I've ever done to my fork. Did have some trouble with the fit for my Answer SX but was able to work around it by using a soft 2 in spring on the right side. You can use the stock elasomer but I found it put to much tention on the fork and effected the damping. I also put in 10 weight oil now my fork rides as plush as my friends Marzucci Bomer. No Shit this is the way to go.

Submitted by Schwinnman a cross-country rider from New York

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can't say enough about these springs. They turned my formerly lame Rock Shox Judy XC into an awesome set of forks. Great rebound no more pogo stick feel and they allow me to get the full 3 inches of travel out of the fork. I matched these springs with the hardbody plus cartridge and the wipers to increase my fork to travel and reduce stiction. Way to go White Bros.!!!!!!!

Submitted by An Nguyen a weekend warrior from Union City

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had the opportunity to read many reviews of different upgraded suspesion kits.
I suggest to all the warrior out there to consider the following factors before buying an upgraded suspension kit. I am an engineer
and specialized in shock and vibration controls and I would like to share some of my knowledge to mountain
bikers. I look for the following factors:
1)Performance 2)Reliability 3)Product Safety 4)Price 5)How easy installing
6)maintenance cost.
Performance: Bare Coil spring in any shape and size is an energy storage system
with little to no damping. It means the more energy you put in then the harder it will rebound and the result is the energy stored
transmitting to your arms and you will feel big shock with washboard and tiring with long distance ride. Coil spring is reliable
product but it will rough on your fork and reduce the wall thickness of your fork and later it will create safety concern on the fork's
strength. It 's better to wrap your coil spring
with some elastomer product.An Oil Damper by itself is a useless mechanism because it has no muscle to return to its original position after being compressed
that is why it has to be connected to coil spring. The performance of oil damper and coil spring connected can create a good
damping system that can absorb a big hit but it will bottom out after a series of big hits due to slowly response of oil flowing
throught valves.Oil damper is not a reliable product caused by explose of oil seal. You imagine
dropping down your bike from 4 to 5 feet height and your seal bursted due to extremly high pressure exerted on the seal then the
damping of your fork is gone then safety becomes an important factor. I suggest that with oil damper or air
damper/air spring combination you should avoid hard hits and washboard. Super Strut shows good performance, respond quickly to big hits and small hits and showed no bottom out, reliable product
because no leaking oil or air. It is simple design and required almost no maintenance and it is a safe product.
The high damping polymer bonded very well to the coil spring and control both
up and down motions.
I enjoy the performance of Super Strut and the reliability plus free maintenance and the safety of product but I do not like the price
$119.

Submitted by Amin a weekend warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

the main reason i bought the judd springs was because the stock type two springs in my judy dh was too hard even with the short spacers. after installing the judds things were alot softer but not what i expected. the rebound was a bit too harsh and it still wasn't soft enough. but it was an improvement from the dump elastomers and the last longer too. installation was also a snap.

Submitted by Jeff Wu a downhiller from Hsin Chu, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

These springs do work better than the stock MCU bumpers, but they weren't as good as I expected them to be. I bought the standard springs, but they were too soft for my 61kg weight. My '96 Judy XC bottomed out harsher than before. The rebound was way too fast on technical downhills. One thing it did alot better than the MCUs was that it absorbed repetitive hits better. The forks become livelier and plusher with the springs.

Submitted by Chris a weekend warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I put these in my Manatou 4 and it transformed this shock into an all around winner.
It is much plsher than my Rock Shock Judy DH even though it has much less travel.
I can ride over obstacles at low speed without loosing my balance. I try the same
stretch of trail with the Judy and I invariably have to put my foot down. The Judy
has dirt work springs too. These work as advertised and fit properly. I simply cut a
discarded bumper and make it into a preload spacer. My only complaint is there is not mention
of this procedure in the otherwise complete instructions (-1 chili).

Submitted by Jason a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

After installing the Judd Springs, my RST Mozo became responsive overnight. The feeling and handling was much better than Speedsprings and the travel of my fork went all the way which in the past never did before. The setup of the spring was easy. Though the price of Judd spings are the same for Speedsprings, I still chose it because of its known reliability and performance. I would say the greatest upgrade for a fork like RST.

Submitted by Wayne a cross-country rider from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great upgrade. These made a big difference for my Mach 5 SX -- better performance on small and big hits. It's great not having to worry about split elastomers anymore. Like other have reported though, I blew a rebound damper and had to get a new one from Manitou. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Submitted by bruce shickmanter a weekend warrior from LENOX,MA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

I am a 200 lb hard rider and I found the judd springs to be a poor combination with my 1996 judy xc. unfortunately it was very much like an undamped pogo stick.I took a nasty crash on familar territory and in retrospect realize ( along with my local bike shop) that some kind of damping cartridge is advisable along with the springs.I will say that the springs definitely improve the travel of the shock but its not worth the loss of control.I may try it again with a reise cartridge on the dummy side.I hope this prevents some crashes!

Submitted by Jeff Russo a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

They were a great improvement for my 97' RockShox. Very responsive.

Submitted by Anders a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great upgrade for my Judy SL. Much, much better than the elastomers. I'm 73 kg
(~161 lbs) and the standard spring are perfect for me (using 63 mm travel).
Kind of expensive though...

Submitted by Marky a racer from Brockville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

Excellent upgrade for my Mach 5SX. As stated by others the small bump response is a hundred times better and the feel is much improved. The fork now seems to keep the front tire more connected with the trail. A slight weight hit but any weight freak (my self included!) will agree it's worth the added weight. Elastomers also suffer in the cold weather and up here in Canada that's important so I really notice the improvement in the spring and fall. Upgrade now!!!

Submitted by Dave a racer from Mi

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

These were an excellent addition to my Mach 5 SX. The small bump response is so much better than the elastomer stack. It isn't even close. I have yet to bottom out the fork with these springs.