Mountain Speed SpeedSprings Shock Upgrade

4.26/5 (82 Reviews)

• Spring kits available for most forks on the planet.
  • Multitude of rates available to fit any riders needs.
  • Wound from the highest quality spring wire.
  • Extensive manufacturing processes - shot peened, pre-set, heat treated and powder coated to ensure long life and consistant performance.
  • Spring rates held within 3% of claimed rate (stock springs only held to 15%).

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Garson Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Strengths:    Incredible plushness

Weaknesses:    Even with the X-tra frim springs, it's still not quite stiff enough (I only weigh 160 lbs)

Bottom Line:
    These springs made a huge difference in the way my bike handles any size of hit. I dont have to worry about bottoming off of small drops anymore, though the shocks are still a little too soft for my taste (even witht he X-tra firm springs). I guess i'll just have to switch to a heavier (but slower rebound) oil.

Favorite Trail:   Orgasm In A Bottle

Purchased At:   The outside store

Similar Products Used:   Stock Marzocchi Springs
    Marzocchi Air Spring

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Stinky Dee-Lux w/Mtnspeed speed springs frnt/back

Submitted by Raiyn a Weekend Warrior from Tampa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Strengths:    These springs kick a$$

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    HUGE improvemnet over the stock elastomers I used to blow through the travel in the stockers then I switched to the firm springs and have had no problems the do bottom out but not as hard and no where near as hard. I've had no rebound problems what-so-ever. For the record I'm 6'4" 235lbs

Favorite Trail:   The last one

Similar Products Used:   Stock elastomers on 99 RS Jett C

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS Avid Arch Rival 40's BG Sport Saddle DK Iron Cross platforms

Submitted by bobby no home bobby riding a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    Waaaayyyy better than the old rubber boingers!

Weaknesses:    Really none to date

Bottom Line:
    Though it took a little prodding to get a response (quickly addressed with a good old fashioned phone call), once engaged, Mountain Speed stepped up and delivered promptly. They were also very friendly and knowledgable - quite unlike the bone-headed punks that seem to gravitate towards the local shops in my area.

If you have an older ProFlex bike and you're looking to extend it's life - ring the gang at Mountain Speed - they're great and their product is first rate (Eibach springs = GREAT QUALITY)

Also, if you don't want to subject yourself to the joys of K2's *customer service* (they are retarded - to put it nicely) this is a more enjoyable method of ridding oneself of those elastomers.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley - For Proximity!

Purchased At:   Direct From Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   None other than OEM stuff

Bike Setup:   A well-ridden ProFlex 856 with some minor upgrades and tweaks.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from West Chester, PA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of installation, performance

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
    Before you give up on your old fork and spend $200+ on a new one, try these. They made my OLD Manitou 4 feel like a new fork, better than it ever was with the elastomers. The medium spring is perfect for me (180#), great for big hits.

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine Creek State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Original Manitou elastomers

Bike Setup:   Yeti Pro FRO with circa 1995 LX and XT components. Manitou 4 fork.

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, California

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Strengths:    Increases damped-fork performance many times over MCU

Weaknesses:    Weight, price

Bottom Line:
    I got these springs in trade from a friend. At least, I think he gave them to me. Anyhow, I bought a '96 Manitou EFC when my stock Future Shock died (no warranty help from Specialized). I was really bummed at the transition: the MCU changed firmness with tempurature & became harsh at full compression. When I dropped in the Speed Springs, everything changed. Descending down rocky chutes, I could FEEL the springs fighting the good fight, not blowing through travel like my FS, and not losing "springiness" like the MCU. With Speed Springs, I feel my '96 EFC kept up with the times well into the 21st Century. I personally believe that they should not cost $50 or so retail. I'd love to see how much they cost to manufacture, and expose the truth. MTB mfr's sell products at exhorbitant prices, and people still buy them. I don't have a problem praising quality products, but I really want to shine the light on quality products that are sold for reasonable or even bargain prices. Thus the ratings...

Favorite Trail:   0007, Fresno Outlands

Similar Products Used:   stock MCU in my '96 Manitou EFC

Bike Setup:   1993 M2 Stump, '96 EFC, '96 XT

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Ponderosa NM

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, not weather-effected, easy to install.

Weaknesses:    For an Indy C - none.

Bottom Line:
    I tried to submit a review earlier, I guess I lost it. Much better than the elastomers they put in these cheap forks. Also alot cheaper than buying a "real" fork (ZOKES!) which I plan to do for my next bike.... For my situation, I give them 5 chiles on both scales. I recommend them for anybody with an Indy, can't comment on how they work for other makes/models.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding

Bike Setup:   '97 GT Ricochet

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Phila. PA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    A great replacement for elastomers. Easy to install and they're not affected by cold weather. I'm not really a suspension geek as far as the technical details. but travel seems smooth. I've got them in a 96 Judy XC, soft, that I've added a 3" cartridge from an old Judy DH. I get the full 3"

Weaknesses:    They're tougher than elastomers, so I've blown out the plastic top cap twice. Those things are freakin' expensive, like $20...they're also slightly heavier.

Bottom Line:
    Cheap, effective elastomer replacement

Bike Setup:   Aluminum hardtail, 3" travel Judy XC from 96.

Submitted by Alexandre Johnson-Chalifour a Weekend Warrior from Montréal,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Strengths:    -Cheap
    -Very Plush
    -Better than elastometers

Weaknesses:    -No negative travel
    -Kinda Heavy

Bottom Line:
    Get them if you still have the elastometers. They come cheap now and make your ride so damn plush...It will take the weight slightly up but it's truly worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Similar Products Used:   -Stock Elastometers
    -Manitou Elastometers

Bike Setup:   Mongoose NX 8.1
    -LX Gruppo
    -RST MOZO XL 4.5 (The Best)
    -On the rear: Stratos AR-1

Submitted by Jae Chi a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    Stiffer spring than Manitou's firm spring kit

Weaknesses:    Does not work

Bottom Line:
    This spring is not a valid upgrade for Manitou forks. They are intended to be used with elastomer and spring combination. Marzocchis have negative spring. Manitous do not because they have elastomers. Your fork will top out abruptly. The forks also need significantly more rebound which the fork is not designed to provide. I ended up blowing the seals in the attempts to increase rebound and trashing the fork; added extra shims to the rebound stack and changed the oil to 10wt. I would warn against using the upgrade if you have Manitou forks.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield

Similar Products Used:   Manitou firm spring kit

Bike Setup:   Chuck CR-FS with 99 Manitou Xvert-R.

Submitted by Rob Brown a Racer from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Strengths:    Makes your fork more active. Smoother travel. Easy to install.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    This is another great product from Mountain Speed. I'll buy anything the make for my bike because I know it will make my bike better. I was about to get new forks and decided to try their springs and now it is a new fork for about $45! The kit replaces the spring and the elastomers. NO MORE ELASTOMERS!!! My fork is smooth and active now with NO spongy feel what so ever. Buy it if you have X-vert R.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Downhill

Similar Products Used:   Stock Manitou spring and elastomers

Bike Setup:   98' FSR Elite w/ Manitou X-vert R fork. Mountain Speed bearing kit, full speed stopper kit, speed springs kit.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Strengths:    Much better ride. I weigh 210 and I put the yellow ones on. Easy to install. Cheap price ($60).

Weaknesses:    Not easy to find in stores, and I ended up buying mine off the Internet.

Bottom Line:
    The speed springs changed my entire opinion of my front fork. Now, the Judy doesn't pogo on steep inclines. Bumps are smooth and the front end doesn't jump all over the place on the rough stuff. I don't think that the Judy is that great a fork, but with the speed springs its is much improved.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road

Similar Products Used:   Just the stock medium elastomer.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump Jumper Comp

Submitted by mtnbikej a Cross Country Rider from So. Cal.

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Strengths:    Low cost for quality upgrade
    Easy to install
    Greatly improves ride
    Weight is similar to stock setup

Weaknesses:    Need a few more spring rates

Bottom Line:
    I have used these things in two of my shocks for over 3 years. What a difference they made in the way my Judys' handled. They seem to soak up the small hits as well as the larger hits. They are definately worth the low price for such a high quality upgrade.

The only downfall I see in them is 3 spring rates is not enough. I have used both Medium and Heavy springs. I am 215lbs. and the heavy were too stiff, yet the medium were right on the verge of being too soft.

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade on your Judy, buy them. You won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   That is my secret.

Similar Products Used:   Stock set up

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with JUDY SL
    Full Suspension with Judy XC LT

Submitted by john baldridge a Cross Country Rider from calgary,alberta,canada

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2000

Strengths:    I have a girvin triple crown with 6" travel it work alot better than stock.

Weaknesses:    I have med. springs I do alot of winter riding and when gets cold it is like riding with solid forks.

Bottom Line:
    I wouldn't use anyother.Calgary cycle was the ones that reconmended them to me.

Favorite Trail:   rossland

Similar Products Used:   stock

Bike Setup:   I have mongoose vrs5.0 full xtr. hayes frontbrakes.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Burbank, CA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2000

Strengths:    I have the Rox Shox XC Judy's, and I weigh about 210lbs. The Judy's are designed for 140-180lbs. I got the speed spring kit and the difference was amazing!! The biggest improvement was in climbing. Especially out of saddle grinds. My front end doesn't bounce up and down killing momentum any more.

Weaknesses:    Comes with the territory, but with a very stiff fork, I have to get used to my eyes bouncing up and down on bumpy downhills. I'll take the trade any day though.

Bottom Line:
    Best improvement for the $ I can imagine!!

Favorite Trail:   Cheesebro Canyon

Bike Setup:   Fisher Big Sir XL. XTR Shimano cranks and rear derail. Kore elite stem. Dean seatpost.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Strengths:
    They look nice in the bag.

Weaknesses:
    I bought the heaviest spring kit they offered. These springs weren't as firm as the standard elastomer/spring set up that came with the forks. They caused my forks to Top-out.

Bottom Line:
    These are not a good product for Manitou X-Vert R's. I only put about 30 miles on the kit. They caused so much damage to my forks that I had to send them back to Manitou to be rebuilt. Afterwords, Mountain Speed wouldn't refund my money. I give them 1 star, because I can't give them 0.

Memorial Park's Ho Chi Mihn Trail