Mountain Speed FSR Bearing Kit Shock Upgrade

4.41/5 (32 Reviews)

• Replaces all existing bushings in the Specialized FSR rear linkage with high quality sealed needle bearings.
  • FSR Bearing Kit (all pivots) $159
  • FSR Bearing Kit (3 pivots) $129

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Les Noriel a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Improved stiffness and eliminated friction caused by plastic bushings.

Weaknesses:    Although they improved instructions with pictures, the parts list did not have pictures of the parts described. So following instructions required process of elimination to identify which part to install

Bottom Line:
    Although these aren't made anymore, if you own a 99-00 +FSR, you need to get one of these. They are still around on eBay.
    This modification was incorporated into Specialized FSR in subesquent model years so the concept is sound.

It made a noticeable improvement in the smoothness and functionality of the suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   00 Stumpjumper FSR with MRP XRated link, Fox Vanilla R, Manitou Mars

Submitted by pitt53 a Weekend Warrior from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    smooth ride... what a change

Weaknesses:    the seat stay link is weak... I had to switch back to OEM bushing. the MRP bearing on seat stay was not tight enough and creating too much play within the link.

Bottom Line:
    I don't know if it's worth it or not. I had performance bike shop install the kit...cost me $30... the kit was $99....OEM bushing $20...OEM rods $20.....reinstall labor $15.....the ride.....priceless.....NOT! I even contacted MRP... they suck!! didn't even return my email or calls. the hell just change the OEM bushing here and there is cheaper I think. This bike is gonna be my second bike now. I'm jsut gonna ride my 2001 big hit for everything. by the way they stop making this kit now... no wonder. I didn't see that much of improvment over OEM new parts. I'm so used to Big Hit's butter smooth sus anyways lol. I would not get it lol.

Favorite Trail:   Noble cyn

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Bike Setup:   99 FSR enduro..(yeah that blue, red , white one)Marzocchi Z3.5,salsa moto stem,deor hubs,mavic 223,avid discs, deor crank, phython gold, etc.

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Great Mills, Md

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    Well designed system, smooth travel, outstanding customer service

Weaknesses:    high maintenance, bushings tend to wear out quickly in muddy/wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent product from an excellent company. Everytime that I have had to deal with them (twice in 1 year), I have had nothing but good service. Great design, however, I will have to mention that the bushing in the shock wore out pretty fast and I have had to replace it once already (I need to replace it again). It is mostly due to the wet and muddy conditions I was riding in. I will also mention that the drop out bearings will still get wet (hence the high maintenance). I recommend a complete tear down of the rear end about 1-2 times a month depending on the conditions. Also, the link will tarnish after a while, but it would be no more than a nuisance to some. For those of you thinking about buying this, I would highly recommend it if what you are looking for is smooth travel and another inch or so. If the maintenance is more than you expected, well it just goes with the territory. I am thoroughly satisfied with my upgrade, the extra travel and smoothness more than make up for the extra maintenance. Besides, I love working on my bike anyhoo. Take care

Favorite Trail:   All the ones in Western Wa. state

Bike Setup:   '99 FSR-XC M4, XT/XTR, XT discs, IRC Notos tires, Easton monkey lite bars.

Submitted by Mike from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    good quality parts, easy to install,

Weaknesses:    none, so far!

Bottom Line:
    For owners of '99 and '00 FSR's, you gotta have this bearing kit and the X Factor. BIG DIFFERENCE. The back ends of the FSR's are so wobbly. This made everything very tight and the back end nows goes up and down and not so much side to side.

A must have for owners of FSR's.

Similar Products Used:   X Factor for FSR-XC Comp

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC Comp w/ WTB 2.4 Mutanoraptors, X Factor and dropout bearing kit, Fox Float R rear and Mars front.. mostly stock so far.

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad, CA.

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    Makes your FSR rear end swing as smooth as a baby's butt

Weaknesses:    1. Price (i upgrade because i am too poor to buy a new bike) 2. The instructions are crapola (need pictures) 3. Weight 4. Not sure about o'ring seals (look what happened to the space shuttle)

Bottom Line:
    This kit is sweet. Made a night and day difference in the ride quality of my bike. 97' was the El Nino year here in California and it seemed to rain every day i rode, so my bushing quickly worn out. I was cleaning the pivots about every 4 month. After a while i was getting lazy and only cleaned it when the suspension stuck 1/2" from full extension.
    For the last 12 years i have worked in the service centers for a bike shop, a scuba shop, a scuba manufacturer, and an ambulatory holter heart monitor manufacturer. I have helped write repair manuals for new products so when i say the instructions could use some illustrations, it would do no harm for Mrp to add a clear picture.
    I should have weighed it first but this kit of 8 needle bearings and 6 hardened steel pivots is about 15 times heavier than the nylon and aluminum it replaces. The pivots could have easily been lightened with some minor cuts and it does not have the hex cuts on the inside so i am wondering how in the world i am going to disassemble this later.
    When i first rode the bike i just about went over the bars on the first big hit because i was relying on the the stiction for damping. After a few adjustments i was truly amazed at the ride quality.
    Bottom line this a must have part for your FSR and if you are waiting for someone else to make a lighter, cheaper kit with better instructions thats like me waiting to marry a super model, not going to happen.

Favorite Trail:   Noble canyon

Purchased At:   Mrp website

Similar Products Used:   There is nothing else like it

Bike Setup:   97' FSR with the usual stuff in the failed attempt to lighten a sub 8 lb frame

Submitted by Joe Martin a Cross Country Rider from Sultan, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    VERY smooth action on the rear of the bike. Quality parts. Great for anyone who wants to really ride a FS bike.

Weaknesses:    Instructions. I sure could have used some pictures.

Bottom Line:
    This kit made my bike new again. I'm amazed at the difference!!! Part of the directions tell you to remove your rear shock and then manually move the rear of the bike up and down. It took 2 hands. After the upgrade the rear of the bike could be moved with one finger and when I let go it would fall. You can really feel it on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Jolly Mountain

Purchased At:   www.mountainspeed.com

Bike Setup:   1998 Specialized FSR Comp, Zoki Z2 Atom 80, ALL XT components.

Submitted by brandon wendling a Cross Country Rider from mobile, AL, usa

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    sturdy nature of x-link, ride transformation, jealous looks from passing trail riders

Weaknesses:    i guess fat price is a weakness but i did get my moneys' worth

Bottom Line:
    my fat 205lb. butt must have tortured the old stock links on my bike. it felt like my end was flopping around like a fish on even the smoothest and slowest of switchbacks or sharp turns. in comes mrp and the solution to my problems. while i can barely notice the increase in travel (i keep 200psi on my rear fork(see above 205lb weight reference)), i do certainly understand what all the hubbub is about concerning ride improvement. i believe quality travel is more important than quantity. the x-link and dropout bearing kit have given me a reason to love my fsr xc again. so much so, that when i recently had a warranty issue with specialized and they had to replace my frame, i was offered a 2001 model frame. i turned it down even though i knew they made a effort to improve the rear end. i begged them to somehow find me a 2000 model frame so i could reuse my mrp x-link and bearings. i used the old don't fix it if it ain't broke theory, and didn't want to chance specialized idea of improvement. remember, specialized old bushing and link idea got me to buy the mrp x-link in the first place. therefore i have some loyalty to mrp for there solution

Purchased At:   mrp web site

Similar Products Used:   is there anything like it... anywhere

Bike Setup:   fsr xc, float r shock, sxr fork, stylo team crank and bb, xt transmission, avid single digit brakes, thomson seatpost and stem, king headset, stock specialized wheels, performance supretrac tires

Submitted by Jon Clodfelter a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Gets rid of all the slop in the FSR suspension

Weaknesses:    May wear out shock faster due to greater lever arm and required higher pressure (in my case)

Bottom Line:
    I bought the X-Rated setup with the dropout bearings. Completely got rid of the rear end slop generated by worn out bushings after 700+ miles. This product is a must for anyone wanting to stiffen up the lateral movement of the rear FSR suspension. I am running about 20 psi higher in the standard Fox Float shock. I am 6'-2" and 210lbs and am running about 160psi, that gets me about the 0.4" of sag and a really good ride. I am using the stock geometry setup on the pivot. Make sure you have some extra cable housing around when you go to install, the rear brake and deraileur need about 1/2" extra.
    BUY IT!!!!

Favorite Trail:   TRTP (Close to Home)

Purchased At:   Mountainspeed

Bike Setup:   2000 FSR Comp., Stock

Submitted by gil cretney a Cross Country Rider from hayward

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    It works and it was pretty easy to install

Weaknesses:    I guess the price could be better.

Bottom Line:
    I'm impressed with the tighter rear end action. Had to pump up the pressure in the shock. Also installed the drop out kit. Easy also. Basic tools, a piece of wood and a vice or c-clamp will realllly help. I'm a little confused about the extra travel. I have the stock Fox RC FLoat. I don't understand where the 90mm of new travel comes from compared to the stock 75mm. My wife has a 2001 Superlight and her Fox RC FLoat is a inch longer than the Specialized Stock Fox. Is that where the extra travel could be...if I installed a newer Fox? Would that screw up the geometry of the FSR? Still so many Questions. Any way , like the product and felt REALLY good about the installation (Hour).

Favorite Trail:   gilcretney@cs.com

Purchased At:   on-line msp.com

Bike Setup:   M-4 with Psylo SL (new) and all xtr except for the race face cranks

Submitted by Esteban (steve) a Racer from NYC

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    x-rated link and bushing upgrade.lateral stiffness silky smooth action, x-tra travel

Bottom Line:
    the upgrade paid off imediately, raced Ringwood race #1 on april 1 2001 got first place sport class master.
    w/this kit and the wheel set i smoked the course and cleaned all technical sections and if you know Ringwood NJ. you know this place is no joke!!
    Drop out link on back order.

Favorite Trail:   ringwood, NJ. plattekill, NY. Mt.Snow, Vt.

Purchased At:   www.sidsbikes.com 34 st off 2nd ave NYC

Bike Setup:   Black 2000 fsr m4 xtr brakes levers and drive train cassette xt. X-max tubeless w/hutchinson pythons.

Submitted by Mel S. a Weekend Warrior from San Pablo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Immediate noticable feel in suspension performance; increases FSR's rear travel; makes your bike look sweet!

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive; instructions aren't that detailed.

Bottom Line:
    I love my bike even more with this upgrade and can't wait 'til my next ride! It took me awhile to put it together and figure out the instructions (they weren't that hard to figure out, but I'm a novice mechanic), but after installing everything the bike felt immediately smoother. You'll notice alot of stiction in the drop-out area with the stock bushings. My bike rocks even more on the trail and looks alot cooler! 1-chili off for being a bit expensive, but I would recommend this product if you own an FSR.

Favorite Trail:   Any and All

Purchased At:   MRP

Similar Products Used:   Stock FSR linkage.

Bike Setup:   '00 Specialized S-Works M4 FSRxc w/MRP X-Rated Link Kit and Drop-Out Bearings; misc. upgrades throughout bike.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Durham, NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    This review is for the X-Link only. I didn't buy the dropout bearings yet.Difference between stock link and x-link felt immediately. Better overall suspension feel. Silky over the little stuff, and I could definitely feel the extra travel over the rough stuff. I loved my FSR when it was stock, but now the link takes it to another level. Highly recommended.

Weaknesses:    Little slow on delivery from MRP, but I ordered it right when the MTB Action article came out and they must have been inundated with orders because it took almost a month to finally arrive. Alternate shock mount lays the geometry back and for me it felt uncomfortable and "out of whack" All that extra movement may work that weak Fox Vanilla air shock into submission. Mine's been losing 20psi per ride.

Bottom Line:
    If you're looking to spend $160 bucks on cranks or drivetrain or whatever, stop and reconsider spending the cash on this link. Its a drastic change from stock, and the difference is felt on the first ride. Installation is a 45 minute process that didn't require any special tools, although they say use a vice. Customer service from MRP was good, they even return emails. Kind of pricy, but for less than $200 its a large return on investment. Great product so far can't wait to take it to Pisgah and Tsali and give it a good lashing.

Favorite Trail:   501 Crested Butte, CO

Purchased At:   MRP website

Similar Products Used:   None, but did hear Risse making a similar product.

Bike Setup:   1999 FSR XC comp, 2000 Zoke atom 80, XT shifters, XTR brakes, stock drive train, Mavic and King wheelset.

Submitted by Blanco from Orange County

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    Without the upgrade my suspension felt like a sticky 2 inches of squeaky travel. Now it feels like 3.5" of smooth stictionless full bodied travel. Improves the lateral stability of the entire rear-end (buy the dropout upgrade too).

Installation took me about 45 minutes or so (it was a breeze).

Weaknesses:    I guess you could sat price, but look at it this way... I spent $175 bucks on an upgrade instead of a few thousand dollars on a new frame...

Bottom Line:
    I don't feel like I'm riding an outdated full suspension technology anymore. This upgrade doesn't convert your FSR into a cliff dropping free-ride bike, but definitely inspires a more aggressive riding approach because you can use all 3.5" of travel without any performance degradation...

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   MRP

Bike Setup:   2000 M4 FSR S-Works, XTR 9 speed drivetrain, XTR brakes, Mavic 517 Ceramic wheels, Wild Gripper Comp S tires, RaceFace Team SL headset, Thompson seatpost, RaceFace stem, SDG saddle, Shimano pedals.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, south

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Strengths:    Keps your rear nd on the trail!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    I have spent a lot of money on performance upgrades. This is by far the most significant prformance enhancemnt you can get. Forget the cost and forgt the wieght. This link kicks ass! Ride hard and take chances!

Favorite Trail:   Table Mountain/Charcoal

Bike Setup:   2000 FSR xc pro, sid, race face next lp's, XTR Blah Blah Blah

Submitted by xerxes a Cross Country Rider from Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    This review is for the X-rated link for FSR-XCs. Easy to install. Works. Eliminates stiction in all pivots (with drop out pivot bearings...another $25.00). Rear end is very solid now. Hooks up on bumpy corners and uphill. New link increases travel by 14 mm and allows head angle adjustment from stock to one degree slacker.

Weaknesses:    Machining looks a little rough, but not bad. High cost.

Bottom Line:
    Though pricey, the kit is complete when ordered with the drop out pivot bearings. Installed in a few hours, but could have been faster if I was in a hurry. Instructions are complete and come with photos. Any competent mechanic can do it with no problems and any rider can do it with thought and proper tools. The difference is palpable as soon as you get on the bike and ride in the rough. Back end is very stable with zero flex. Biggest improvement is in cornering where the rear end just hooks up like it has suction cups. Stutter bumps are taken with no drama whatsoever. Stiction has disappeared. As mentioned by another reviewer, when you take the bike apart for the install you will notice a TON of stiction, especially in the drop out pivots. After installation, the thing is floppy like a wet noodle. Translation: this kit lets the shock do its work without stickiness! Hard impacts remain the same, but those little bumps just disappear. I love it. Weight penalty is insignificant. For the weight weenies, here are some numbers:

MRP X-Rated link and bearing kit: 163 grams
    MRP Drop Out Pivot bearing kit: 35 grams

Total: 198 grams

Weight of stock parts removed: 71 grams

Net added weight: 127 grams or
    4.5 oz.

This quarter pound net gain is well worth it and can be easily recovered with lighter tubes or whatever. Just for the record, the stock link weighed 42 grams and the new link weighs 94 grams. Both values are without bearings/bushings installed. I highly recommend this kit to FSR riders. I have no experience with the other kits available, but I can say that I got this kit on the recommendation of my Specialized LBS mechanic who told me that all the guys he works with who have FSRs (five guys) installed this kit and are very happy with it too. I downgraded the value to 4 chilis because of the high cost. If the machining was pristine, like a Thomson, I would have given it 5 chilis for value.

Favorite Trail:   Manana

Similar Products Used:   Just the stock bushings and link.

Bike Setup:   1999 Stumpjumper FSR-XC. Fully upgraded: X-Vert Air, RaceFace turbine, Thomson stem and post, MonkeyLite Low Rise Bar, XTR, custom Valiant wheelset, Spec. Teams, Avid Ultimates, etc.

Paid SPAM: ENDUROFORKSEALS Suspension Bearing Kit for Stumpjumper FSR 08-09

Figured I'd give a heads up to any longtime owners of 08-09 Stumpjumper or Safire FSRs that may be in need of bearing replacement or suspension overhaul. Kit is brand new in packaging - never opened! [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=71021]ENDUROFORKSEALS Suspension Bear ... Read More »

Paid Spam: RP23, 08/09 bolt/bearing kit SJ FSR

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=62548&cat=500[/url] :cool:Read More »

2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite Bearing Kit

Hey all, Upon my next full tear down/clean I want to replace all my bearings. Can anyone confirm that this is the right kit: [B]FSRxc 06-08 BEARING KIT[/B] from here: [URL="http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id211.html"]http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id211.html[/URL] The part number is comi ... Read More »