Hippie-Tech Rear Suspension Service Shock Upgrade

2.35/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by Jim-Beau

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2014

Strengths:    He does KNOW what he is doing!

Weaknesses:    WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE of any business in the U.S.A. Do not expect to get any response back either by email or by phone. He just doesn't care. He should stop being a Hippie and be more of a professional OR just be a Hippie and stop all business activity!

Bottom Line:
Do your research, there a several businesses out there who service forks.shocks who VALUE you as a customer. Got to them you will be much happier.

Submitted by Nate

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Strengths:    Best in the world, possibly the only one who will tackle some tough projects.

Weaknesses:    communication.

Bottom Line:
Let me try and summarize my experience with Jerry (hippie tech owner/operator/mechanic/biller/shipper/customer service) I think you get the idea. As was mentioned in previous post HE IS A ONE MAN SHOP. He told me he is doing around 500 shocks a year. He also rides & races as often as he can. Knowing all this I still chose to have him work on my shock.
He is tough to get in contact with however he does reply. I was told 3 weeks to fix and I sent my shock off the next day.
1. I heard nothing for 8 days that he received my shock, it was in process.....nothing.
2. Once we connected he told me I was "inline" for an initial diagnosis and would get back to me.
3. 4 weeks in I am finally hearing from him that it's a TOTAL rebuild. I agree on the price (which is still better then getting a new shock)
4. I paid him immediately over the phone and was told 4-6 days I should have my shock.
5. 2 weeks passed and I just received my shock yesterday in the mail.

total time from sending my shock was 8 weeks.

Overall Jerry is just another hard working guy who like the rest of us wants to ride and enjoy the riding season when he can. I am very pleased with his work. Wished he could find a way to communicate better but again he is working on 500 of these shocks that's a full time job alone.

Thanks Jerry for everything.

Submitted by JPII a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Strengths:    Knows MB Suspensions, Excellent repairs

Weaknesses:    Communication could be better

Bottom Line:
I feel compelled to write a contempory review given I use this forum alot for information and the negitive reviews about Hippietech.

I found out about Hippietech from Push Suspension and MTB Suspension experts after they said they did not want to repair or did not have the parts to repair a my rear and front shocks. I called and did not geta return call for a couple of days. Since I happen to live in Boise, I then took my shocks down to Hippietech. A couple details about Hippietech.

1) It is a one man shop, The owner does the work.
2) He rides bigtime (races, etc)- Mostly downhill.
3) He has worked on the assembly floor and in R&D in RockShox in the past. He really does know alot about suspensions. (I do too from my past motorsports racing.)
4) He is an accomplished bike mechanic.
5) The shop is immaculate.
6) The parts inventory is staggering.

He had about 100 shocks to be repaired cafefully labelled on the recieving end and about 5 shocks packed ready to go back out the day I came in.

He looked at the shocks I brought in from a 2000 Suger 1 and within 5 seconds told me what type of bike they had come off because of the unique bushing on the rear shock. He told me about the rebuild potential and the possible issues unique to my shocks. We also talked about the value of rebuilding verses replacing with current technology. After that discusion I decided to repair the shocks. He also can valve the shocks to optimize it for your weight and riding. He told me it would take about 3 weeks to repair the shocks and would look at them in about two weeks and give me a call. I was pleased that I had found him. Then I read the reviews of Hippietech and my enthusiasm evaporated. I was thinking I'm done and might as well start saving for a new bike and my summer was toast! I called Hippietech back in 1.5 weeks and no answer and left a message. Four days later Jerry called me back and told me the issues with my shocks and exactly how much it would cost. Two weeks and 4 days he called back to tell me they were done.

The shocks look brand new except for a few scatches that I had previously there. Assembled my bike and rode some fast single track, technical up and down hills. The bike has never been this good! It was totally hooked up.

So I'm not to trying to invalidate any of the previuosly negative reviews but I have had a good expirence. If my shocks should fail I will update my post. I am taking 2 more shocks to be serviced to him.

Submitted by nowaay@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2012

Strengths:    Fork worked fine when I finally got it back

Weaknesses:    Communication, professionalism

Bottom Line:
For an absolute fact this guy will take your fork or shock and keep it until he is ready to return it. No amount of calling, emailing, voice mailing, tweeting, or smoke signaling will get this guy to respond. He kept mine for months and I really thought I was screwed until it just arrived one day. If your fine with not riding for months and not receiving any communication from your service provider, then by all means send this guy your suspension. Every time I look at my ride I thank my lucky stars I got the fork back and it worked. Not a good experience. I think you would only want to deal with the hippie if you are local and can just drive to the shop and get your parts back when you've had enough.

Submitted by Colin

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Shoddy work, untrustworthy.

Bottom Line:
2 rear shocks from him failed. He would not return my calls, pay return postage, return my original shock, got angry after I threatened legal action, promised to reimburse my card ASAP, and did not. I have now involved my card company. He is either lazy, stoned, irresponsible or fraudulent. Steer clear.

Submitted by N8R T8R a Weekend Warrior from FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    Wish I could test it to tell you. I have seriously considered parting out my bike to get one that has a fork on it, as hippie tech has had mine for over a month. After reading of the guy who didnt get his for 2.5 month i am really concerned.

Weaknesses:    Very little communication and of what there is seems like flimsey excuses and lies. FIND SOME ONE ELSE!!! Or buy a new fork or shock. I wish I had.

Bottom Line:
How do companies like this stay in biz when there are skilled workers who are good communicators and cannot find work. Dont send these guys your parts or your money. I wish i had read these reviews before i sent mine. My work is paid for and I just keep getting excuses. I would like to give a much lower score than allowed here.

Favorite Trail:   Grape Fruit Trails PB

Purchased At:   mailed out

Submitted by jayjroy a Weekend Warrior from West Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    AVOID THIS GUY!!! I wish I read reviews about this company before I shipped them my fork. I'm afraid to do a dispute because I'll probably not get my fork back at all! I've been waiting for 2.5 months for my fork. This guy has every excuse in the book as to why it's not ready. Of course, he charged my credit card a while ago (when he said it was done and already shipped back to me). Oh wait, UPS lost the package and it was sent back to him damaged and now he needs to repair it again... Lame excuses from a lame stoner. Forget this guy, find someone else!

Bottom Line:
F-this dude. Go somewhere else. He might do go work like other people say... but he's unreliable. Be prepared to get charged quickly and then wait months for your fork.

Submitted by DC13 a Racer from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Feels amazing as if it was brand new.

Weaknesses:    Did take a little long for a return but I know it is worth it.

Bottom Line:
Have been to his shop when I used to live in Boise so I knew that it would take some time to get my fork back because he him only self works on about 30forks a week, with that being said to me its worth the wait. Because I know that if something happens to it (does not feel right) I can send it back and he will fix it and not charge. Because of how many forks he fixes it does take some time to get a hold of him.
To me it is worth the time in the shop because this thing feels so nice. Only person I will have work on any of my shocks.

Bike Setup:   Boxxer

Submitted by MrWizzard a Cross Country Rider from Seattle Wa USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    Recommended by local bike shop

Weaknesses:    I sent a request for quote nearly two weeks ago and haven't heard back. After reading the other reviews, however, at least now I won't take it personally.

Bottom Line:
No one answers the phone
No one answers e-mail
I am not impressed

Favorite Trail:   Henrys Ridge

Bike Setup:   custom made steel hardtail w/Noleen air fork

Submitted by JaybirdKS a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, KS

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Supposedly is good at fork rebuilds. Very knowledgeable on the phone

Weaknesses:    Called on the phone to discuss fork rebuild. Told to send the fork in with all my rider and bike specs. They would call with an estimate. After 3 weeks from sending fork had not received a response. After multiple voice mails and emails, finally was told that they were having "Issues" (?) with Fox, but would get back to me on my fork the next day. 3 weeks later, after never receiving a response, got an email saying they were having Fox issues. Said they would have a response from Fox next day. 10 days later my fork shows up at my house, BUT it was not rebuilt. Have left VM's and emails, but still no response. I wasted 2 months plus outbound shipping cost, and have nothing to show for it.

Bottom Line:
Customer service and response are severely lacking. Not sure what is going on up there, but regardless of the quality of the work, if they can't do the work then they shouldn't be telling you to send in your fork. Waste of time and money.
Their website is still advertising that they do Fox work, but mine didn't get done.

Favorite Trail:   Telonics

Bike Setup:   Dean Ti Hardtail, XTR, Fox F80X

Submitted by Dalebj1s a Cross Country Rider from La Paz

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    repair work is great

Weaknesses:    shipping and customer service is poor

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous post regarding a repair of a 1996 Mag 21. Jerry from Hippie Tech finally started responding to my e-mails/calls. I have received my fork and he did an great job. The person who does the shipping needs to come to work sober.

Purchased At:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Vintage steel Stumpjumper

Submitted by Dale a Cross Country Rider from La Paz,Bolivia

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    they said they could/would rebuild my 1996 Mag 21

Weaknesses:    One month later, I still have not received my fork. THere has been no response to my attempts to contact them.

Bottom Line:
I sould have read MTBR on Hippie Tech first. I am experiencing the same issue that others have had. They do not anwser their phone,they have not answered my e-mails. The only thing they did quickly was to charge my credit card.

Purchased At:   Hippie Tech

Submitted by crankmaster a Cross Country Rider from Gilroy

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light, nice shinny steerer tube

Weaknesses:    A bit noisy

Bottom Line:
I need to make a change to the build but it's hard to get a hold of Jerry. He builds a great product but hard to get a hold of.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   web

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz super light, mavic wheels, easton carbon fiber bars, thomson stem, xt cranks and bb,

Submitted by tcnewman a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2009

Strengths:    I still have not received the my forks back yet

Weaknesses:    I still have not received the my forks back yet

Bottom Line:
I have a set of forks that are a few years older and none of the local shops could fix. One of them recommended Hippie Tech. After repeated calls I got in touch with Jerry and we discussed the issues with the forks and he gave me a quote. After continuous pestering to know if he even received the forks he finally called and said he would look at them and gave me a quote. I called him the next day to give him credit card information which he happily took and told me the forks were pretty much done and he would ship them. That was over a month ago. I have been calling and leaving messages with him to no avail. In the last one I told him if I didn't hear back from him in the next few days I was going to contest the bill with my credit card company. If I had known this was going to be such a problem I would have just bought a new bike. This has been a waste of half the summer's riding time and I would never, ever use Hippie Tech again.

Submitted by afox a Weekend Warrior from ft. collins, co

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I sent my shock to Hippie Tech and did;nt hear a word for them for 4 weeks. After many emails and phone messages I finally heard back from "Jerry" who said its been a busy spring and he'd get to it soon, after about 5 weeks and more phone messages and emails Jerry said he took it apart and needed to order some parts. Guess it took 5 weeks for him to look at it. Long story short after many hours writing emails and making phone calls I finally received my shock back 7 or 8 weeks after sending it in. The shock seems pretty good, not incredible but its working well. There are other alternatives with much shorter turn around times and much more professionalism than Hippie Tech. Unless its December and you're not planning on riding for several months I recommend using a different shop. After all Jerry told me he is just overloaded with work, please help him to get things under control and help yourself out by sending your shock somewhere else!!!

Purchased At:   Hippie tech

Trance rear suspension service

I have a year old '08 X0 that is creaking (at the rear I think) and I got to thinking it might be a good idea to service the rear suspension going into the riding season. Does anyone know where I can get instructions to do this?Read More »

Paging Speci suspension tech :AFR Rear Shock service

I am looking to get the annual service to my rear shock performed but the problem is I purchased the bike in Southern California and I now live in northern Utah( AWESOME RIDING BY THE WAY!!!!!) but my concern is can I take the shock into any specialized Bike shop or what?? Do I ship it to Spesh dire ... Read More »