Hippie-Tech Fork Suspension Service Shock Upgrade

1.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by Eric Wiener

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2013

Strengths:    Clever, misleading sales tactics and ability to sleep knowing how many people are disappointed for being lied to and $ taken from.

Weaknesses:    Everything but listed in 'strengths'. This guy has lied to me over and over, had my fork since last November. Says he shipped it February 7, 2013. Never given me a good excuse for the delay and the website's email bounces. Only voicemail is what you get when you dial the company number. USPS only says Electronic shipping info received, on Feb. 7, but has since I've been checking it, doesn't appear that it was ever shipped, just shipping was 'arranged' for my fork.
If anyone knows how to get a class action going, I'm all in.

Bottom Line:
The guy is scum. Preying on people who trusted him. I was referred to these guys by a local shop, saying they were all that and the only ones that had parts to rebuild obsolete forks. Guess I should have read about them first.

Submitted by Nate a Weekend Warrior from PB Florida

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    ZIPOOOO ... Avoid Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension

Weaknesses:    Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension lie lie lie. yea we switched ware houses ... it cought on fire ... lost in shipping, got returned damaged yea im making it better than ever you just wait. And so you will be doing a lot of that if you use this clown. How do people like this stay in business when there are talented honest people ready to work. Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension sent me a totally different fork than the one I sent but it was unridable because of the damaged axel. he finally stopped communicating w/ me and refused to make it right. I am still trying to get refunded for the piece of crap he sent me ... Dont walk - run from any dealings w/ Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension

Bottom Line:
Do NOT use Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension. Buy a new fork or shock.

Favorite Trail:   grapfruit

Purchased At:   Jerry Vanderpool and

Submitted by Brad M. a Weekend Warrior from Aztec, NM USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2011

Strengths:    Price paid, product received - fits my needs perfectly!

Weaknesses:    Took 5 months to receive my fork

Bottom Line:
Despite the 5 month delay due to a fire in the warehouse row where his shop was, my fork getting lost in the mail once.....??? The fork I finally received is awesome! Jerry tuned the fork based on info I gave him about my riding style, body weight and the bike I intended to use it on. I've made no adjustments to it since receiving it, only hooking my pump to it so I could record the base pressures as set by him. The bike is an absolute rocket and flows like a dream over single track!

I had previously used Hippietech services back in 2007, receiving back a completely transformed Rockshox SID with only 3 weeks turnaround time. That fork was the best performing fork I've ever had. I expect my new Psylo to be no different.

Given my previous experience, the 5 month wait was very disappointing to say the least! I sent my trade-in to him in mid April and fully expected to be riding my new fork all summer long. As it turned out, I didn't get my new fork until September.

Whatever has been going on personally and professionally with Hippietech/Jerry Vanderpool, I hope it's finally resolved. When all goes as it should, the service he provides can't be beat! I hope to take advantage of the highly skilled services this shop offers again in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Alien/Outer Limits

Purchased At:   Hippietech Suspensio

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Manitou, many Rockshox SIDs...

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant XTCfr, Rockshox Psylo 100mm air w/lock out, Easton XC1 wheels, Bontrager XR1/Xr2 tires, SRAM X9 2x10 drivetrain, Avid Elixir brakes, RaceFace Deus XC post and stem, Raceface Next riser bar, Bontrager Inform R saddle, ESI Grips, tubeless conversion...

Submitted by alamos a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    I let you know if I ever see it!

Weaknesses:    The fact that a promised and PAID for service never seems to happen! Some say this Jerry guy can actually fix suspension forks, but from my point of view, I think most of the forks sent to him sit around and wait for him to ever get off his A$$ and do the work! He has had my fork for 4 months and still no sign of it. He claims all sorts of things have held him up, but I think the truth is more that he is a flake! Unfortunately he has my 1" Judy that is very improtant for my 1" headtube Ritchey, and lord knows if I could ever find another one! At this point I would just like to get my fork back and I'll let the credit card company deal with him. From the looks of other reviews maybe we could get together a class action suit against this guy, seems like there may be no end to the number of disgruntled customers!
I worked in the Bike Business for 15 years organizing the operations and equipment for a major bike touring company, in my work I dealt with dozens of venders all over the world and not once did I ever experience anyone as unreliable as Jerry Vanderpool from Hippie Tech Suspensions.
Buyer beware with this guy he does not care about his customers at all!

Bottom Line:
I want my fork back and Jerry to do more riding and less business. I think this guy may have riden without a helmet a few too many times!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   internet

Bike Setup:   1986 Ritchey Super Comp with MT Goat Bamboo paint

Submitted by kremer5 a Weekend Warrior from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Terrible customer service. my shocks have been at thier shop for 0ver 20 weeks. Paid $160 months ago. Still no shocks. Keeps telling me its gonna be next week, ben telling me this for over 10 weeks now. STILL NO SHOCKS!!!

I am on the verge of reporting them stolen

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Horrible Service

Weaknesses:    Horrible Service

Bottom Line:
This guy is a total scam. Dosen't return your calls or emails. I had to hire someone off Craigslist to go over there and rattle his cage. Only a fool would send their forks there after reading my review and others on this site. I got my forks back finally and my lockout dosent even work.

Favorite Trail:   Grove

Similar Products Used:   Horrible Service

Submitted by jayjroy a Weekend Warrior from West Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Weaknesses:    I SO WISH I READ THESE REVIEWS BEFORE SENDING THIS A-HOLE MY SHOCK.

On the phone is a cool guy to talk to, but he's just missing a few screws. He charges you quick and then holds your fork for ever. I've been waiting 2.5 months! Every time I talk to him, he's just about finished and he's shipping it back tomorrow. "Tomorrow" was 2.25 months ago!!

Bottom Line:
Do not use this guy to service your equipment. DO NOT!!! Don't let anyone tell you this guy does good work or has been in business for a long time. Even if the two items above WERE true, that was in the past, he is no longer running the business well and you will be fuct!

Submitted by dg a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I am in the middle of dealing with him(owner of Hippie Tech) for repairing a Rock Shox Sid Race fork. This was a brand new fork mounted on an Intense Tracer bike that I built 5 years ago and has never been ridden other than a 1-mile test ride(built it for my son who is almost tall enough to ride it now). Unfortunately the fork leaked out the fluid. I sent it to Hippie Tech Suspension and has been one excuse after another. I am considering legal options.

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by JNob a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, MS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything is weak.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT do business with Hippie Tech Suspension. After telling me that my Rock Shox SID could not be repaired but he could build me a new one from scratch because he was an Authorized Rock Shox service center, I sent him $350. Two months and dozens of e-mails and phone calls later, I still have nothing. He sent me the wrong fork once, which I returned in early January. Since then I have gotten a couple of patronizing e-mails that he was issuing a credit, which never appeared, then another that he was going to have to send me a money order for my refund, which also never appeared. Jerry Vanderpool is the most unprofessional and dishonest person I have dealt with in my 25+ years of riding. If I could give him a rating of 0 I would. Stay away. The SRAM customer service number can recommend reputable repair centers. I wish I had called them first.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain, AL

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 1 updated with X9, tubeless, 2x10, more

Submitted by katsu a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    I will never use another marzocchi product. But this guy makes their CS look superb!

Bottom Line:
This guy kept my fork for better than 4 months, took it apart and sent pieces of it back. I had been calling since September about this fork and he never got back to me. Now I have a pile of parts, not even sure all of them are there, and no fork.

Bike Setup:   Several

Submitted by kc a Weekend Warrior from cambridge,MN

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Weaknesses:    I sent hippie tech a fork 2+months ago. I have called them many times, never get a call back. I'm not sure what to do.
I will never send them a fork again.

Bottom Line:
No service,no nothing!!!!

Submitted by Freezer a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Weaknesses:    Sent fork in three and a half months ago and received it back only after complaining on MTB review. Fork finally sent by priority mail and arrived with decals rubbed off, new scratches, top cap missing, new(?)super cheap lockout lever, etc. Will now send the fork somewhere else to get it checked over and fixed properly.

Bottom Line:
Terrible service. Nothing but lies, delays and when i finally did receive my fork back substandard poor workmanship. This must be the worst experience I've ever had with a bicycle shop. Avoid this place at all costs!

Submitted by JOSE A ERAZO a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent service, they always do a great job

Bottom Line:
HTS bring a great shock service. When they fix or tuning the forks and shocks they works better than new. Jerry does a great work. He fixed and Manitou swinger to me, and the result was amazing, after that a pike, and now he is fixing my all mountain sl 1 (a real headache to me). Is really good to have this kind of good service, and the prices are not so high. Y recommend HTS.

Favorite Trail:   All Mountain

Purchased At:   HTS

Local suspension fork service

I found a few threads under the suspension forum but the shops are in another state. Any local shops in the S bay that can rebuild/service forks? I got my Recon last month used and it works well but I don't know how much riding time it has so I would rather get it serviced before I cause any problem ... Read More »

Fox fork suspension fluid service -- every 30 hours?

What does that entail? My Fox manual says all Fox forks require "suspension fluid service" every 30 hours. I can't find anything on the Fox website that says that, and I can't find anything about suspension fluid service. Thanks.Read More »

Front Range LBS able to service a 12 year old British suspension fork?

Might a LBS around Golden/Boulder know how to pull and replace the air seal in a British 1999 Pace fork? No I don't want to buy a new fork. Its cool, and the fork is still going strong, I can service it myself apart from the top air seal; I don't have to tools for pulling the seal and replacing ... Read More »

Great Shock & Fork service - Suspension Experts INC

I recently had my "Manitou Minute One" fork and "Swinger 3" way shock serviced by Suspension Experts Inc in Asheville N.C and I am very pleased with their service. I have had several test rides and the 4.5 year old components are riding like new. Very prompt and professional company. Turn around w ... Read More »