Hevn Racing Components Superstruts Shock Upgrade

4.54/5 (48 Reviews)

Hevn Racing Components Superstruts

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Tampa FL USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
******************************
*** Quadra 21R Rebuild Kit ***
******************************

http://www.geocities.com/quadra_21r/ Rebuild.html

Submitted by Mike Pardini a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Strengths:
Please read earlier reviews

Bottom Line:
Hello Fellow Mountainbikers:My name is Mike, and I designed and marketed the SuperStruts, along with the help of many others. This page is for reveiws only, but it is also my only way to say thanks to my customers. So I am going to stick my neck out...I first have to announce that HEVN Racing is no longer manufacturing the SuperStruts. I do have about 10 sets left if anyone would like to buy them before they are gone for good. 408-255-8644.I would like to say thank you to every person who bought the SuperStruts and especialy each of you who gave us a review. You each have helped us in our marketing effort and have given the SuperStruts the highest review for 2 years.My background (If anyone cares): I used to work for RockShox and had so much fun I developed an entirely new approach to suspension damping. Unfortunately, the cost to manufacture the SuperStruts Damping polymer is very expensive and made distributing them almost impossible except through direct sales. Every SuperStrut and advertising effort was financed by credit card. So basily, HEVN Racing represents every mountainbiker out on the trail who ever said I could design a part or a bike better than that! HEVN Racing has been a lot of fun, even more hard work. Its been a thrill to see all the enthusiastic reveiws on MTBR and that is our reward. Sucess is not measured in dollars, though it is easy to forget here in Silicon Valley. Thank you, each of you, for taking the time to call and talk with us. Thank you MTBR.com (Francis) for being such a huge part of our marketing effort and PR. Thank you John, Jeff and Ed for your involvement in HEVN Racing. Ride Hard, Take Chances!
Michael Pardini

Kamakazi, Mamoth Mt.

more than 3 years

Submitted by GREG a Cross-Country Rider from WESTLAND, MI

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I PURCHASED THE BASE STUMPJUMPER BECAUSE I WANTED TO SETUP THE BIKE TO SUIT ME AND THE TERRAIN I RIDE. AFTER THE TIRES I CONSIDERED CHANGING OUT THE JUDY T2 FORK BECAUSE IT WOULD POGO WHEN THE TRAIL GOT ROUGH. I HAD MY EYE ON THE MARZOCCHI ATOMB BOMB OR Z2 BAM BECAUSE OF THEIR RIDE QUALITY AND STRENGTH, BUT BEFORE I DROPPED THE CASH I DECIDED TO TRY A SPRING AND DAMPER CARTRIDGE TO IMPROVE THE T2. I LOOKED INTO EVERY SPRING AND DAMPER I COULD FIND AND DECIDED THAT 1. THE SUPER STRUTS WERE THE EASIEST TO INSTALL AND SERVICE, 2. APPEARED DURABLE (NO CART TO REPLACE) AND 3. OFFERED SOME AMOUNT OF COMPRESSION AND REBOUND DAMPING. SO FAR ALL I CAN SAY ARE GOOD THINGS ABOUT ITS PERFORMANCE. IT WORKS GOOD ON THE STUTTER BUMPS AND MEDIUM DROPOFFS WHICH I RIDE HERE IN MICHIGAN. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE SUPER STRUTS HAVE GIVEN MY T2 FORK A SMOOTHER RIDE AND BETTER HANDLING BECAUSE OF THE CONTROLLED FRONT END. NOW I DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE FRONT END BECAUSE THE FORK IS WORKING SO WELL THIS TELLS ME THAT THEY ARE DOING THERE JOB. GOTTA GO BECAUSE IM ON CO. TIME

PONTIAC LAKE

3 months

MANITOU FS
JUDY XC

98 M2 STUMPJUMPER

Submitted by Stu a Cross-Country Rider from Oakland

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Strengths:
An effective no-maintenance upgrade.
A noticable improvement.
Local guys make this great product.

Weaknesses:
Expensive $119, but cheaper than SID. Less vicious too!

Bottom Line:
The cost kept me from getting these right away, but they are 5 x's less than a new top of the line fork.
Considering the simplicity and ability to utilize a very light weight fork (manitou magmnum aprox. 3 lbs) it was worth it.
Performance wise, it is noticable immediately. I am able to run less pre-load without bottoming out. So the ripples are less harsh and there is little to no packing up.
Big hits are big hits and without 5-6 inches of travel I'm sure all forks give you a jolt. But my trusty zip tie is telling me that I haven't bottomed out in a while, despite some pretty hard drops.
I like the simplicity thing. Just load them in and rock & roll. This is a A+++++ upgrade for owners of older manitous (ie. Comp, Magnum, M series)
Great product guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palos Colorados

1 Year

TPC in a Manitou SX Ti., Air/Oil in my old Mag 20. Elastomers in the original Manitou Magnum.

NukeProof Ti frame w/ a Manitou Magnum. Hevn Super Struts.

Submitted by Marjan a Cross-Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Strengths:
Very plush, improves performance, zero maintenance!!!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
The best upgrade, I've used it for a year and it works like at the begining! BUT I AM GETTING A NEW BIKE, SO I AM SELLING THE YELLOW SUPER STRUTS FOR US$ 50 INCLUDING P&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Year

MCUs

hardtail, Quadra 21R

Submitted by Matt a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have not tried this product, but I did request and receive a brochure about them. Although the product is a great idea, I think the price is way too high for what you get. Here is what I am wondering: I already have modifid an old quadra fork by adding a hardware store spring (3 inch spring) and a small piece of manitou elastomer. I wonder if I could make a similar device myself. How hard could it be? Does anyone know if elastomers can be melted down? Would they retain their shock absorbing properties once they cooled down? What about a rubberized tape? Maybe heat-shrink tape? Any ideas out there? I am going to try and make my own struts thingies with springs coated in urethane... It will make a fun project...Certainly more fun AND economical than buying this overpriced product....

Submitted by Joe Karp a weekend warrior from Alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

Back to say that the yellow struts installed in the '97 Manitou Pro on my Stumpjumper make a really big difference in performance and handling. I was so tired of bottoming out that I was looking at replacing the shocks with something more expensive. After a few months of riding, I don't need to do anything except ride my little heart out. I'll get the shock upgrade when I upgrade to a dual suspension bike sometime this year! I give this produst another 5 chilis and thanks to Mike for a great product.

Submitted by Tim a weekend warrior from California

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

These things have made just a hell of a difference in my Manitou Pro '97 fork. I wasn't satisfied with the travel or the dead feeling of a stack of the blue (soft) elastomers, but when I dropped in the yellow (stiff) Hevn units, the feel of the ground came alive, along with much better travel and great dampening. I used a one inch piece of blue elastomer and a stock nylon washer/spacer below that, dremeled-out slightly to form a flat area for the top of the strut to sit in. I weigh 190 pounds, and after a couple of hundred miles, I'm super pleased with the (no-maintenance) great feedback feeling that came with these units. Definitely a top rating from my experience...

Submitted by Warthog a weekend warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Excellent upgrade that has turned my Judy T2 into something useful. The benefits were immediate: real, bona-fide damping instead of pogostick-like return. Overall ride is vastly better. Climbing, especially technical climbs on the short, steep, rooty stuff we ge here in Florida, is a hell of a lot more fun now that I'm not getting boing-ed back each time I hit a little bump. My Stumpjumper is now the ass-kicking climber it was meant to be. Cornering is much improved, too: Weigh-shifting is much easier to judge because of the added sensitivity of the Hevn-ed front end. Downhill stuff is much more agreeable,too, but the real improvements are in the above. I'm 5'8, 164lbs., and decided to go with the stiffer yellows. On a medium-soft setting, the Hevn's are just right for me. If you have a stock T2 or similar piece of junk, I highly recommend an upgrade with Superstruts- make ya feel alright... Five smokin' chilis washed down with the amber beverage...

Submitted by Joe Karp a weekend warrior from Emeryville, CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just upgraded my Manitou Pro fork on my '97 Stumpjumper with the yellow struts and took it out for a ride for a couple of hours. I could tell the difference in the handling immediately. I used the 1 stock red elastomer as a shim and applied lots of Judy butter. The upgrade was easy. Can't wait to get home tonight for more riding. I give this product 5 chilis, will come back later after I play with these for awhile.

Submitted by Miles a racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

After trying the original MCU's, Judd springs, and Enlugnd Total Air cartridges, I finally settled on Hevn Racing Super Struts last year for my tricked out Judy FSX. They have outperformed everything else: they are more active and responsive than MCU's while not being as annoyingly bouncy as straight springs. I think they have a better feel than Englunds, and are definately more realiable. Considering you don't need to use the oil damper with Super Struts, the weight comes out much less than springs, closer to Englunds. I weigh 165, and the red springs are a little softer than I was used to, but I quickly grew accustomed to the feeling, and enjoy the responsiveness to bumps and dips of all sizes. They're not the cheapest, but can make a $250 dollar fork feel like one that costs twice as much, or a $350 fork perform like it should. My Judy feels so good I haven't really felt the need to buy into all the latest and greatest forks that have come out over the past two years. A great investment.

Submitted by Dan Rauker a weekend warrior from Boise ID

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought the yellow superstruts in August 97, put them in some old 21Rs and wow, what a difference! Over a year later and no problems, hope the rest of fork holds up as well. It's a great, inexpensive upgrade that require virtually no upkeep. Call Mike at Hevn and give them a try,you'll be pleased!

Submitted by Donald Myers a cross-country rider from W. Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

SuperStruts: I installed them in a Mag 21R, to replace the original elastomers. They work very well on the small pumps, much more fluid, and they don't seem to compact as much on the big bumbs. The elastomer system would sometimes just give up during a particularly fierce stretch down a rock field. By the time I'd get to the end they would be almost as hard as a rigid fork. The Superstruts, however, continue to provide good absorption and adequate damping.I think that they probably aren't much use for a high end replacement, but all of us with older shocks and heavy like me (210 lbs) could really use a pair of these. The price seems a bit high, but that's probably what it costs us to keep innovation coming in our sport. I had a small problem with my order (they lost it), but they made good on it, and were very nice to speak with. I'm Glad the're on our side. Don Myers

Submitted by Sebastien a racer from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I initially purchased this product in an attempt to improve the overall performance of my 96 Judy SL and to reduce weight as compared to other options (i.e. SpeedSprings and dampening cartridge). The SuperStrutts are lighter than the SpeedSpring and dampening cartridge combination and they do absorb shock better than the stock MCU's that came with the Judy's. They do not though, in my experience, provide the same amount of travel as the stock internals. Therefore, the increase in performance was marginal as compared to the cost of the upgrade ($200+ Canadian). SuperStrutts did not provide the travel that was advertised. The most I could get out of my first set of yellow Strutts was a bit shy of 2.25. I sent these back and got the new version which was supposed to give the over of 2.5. After a month and a half wearing-in period, these new Strutts still gave only about 2 of travel. I weigh 150 lbs., so it could be argued that because of my weight I don't go through the whole travel. Therefore I had my 200+ lb. try out the shocks. He couldn't get any more than 2.25. A quarter of an inch may not seem like much, but it certainly is enough to significantly reduce impact, and therefore overall fatigue, during the greuling 2.5 hour races in which I participate. It may not make a difference for the recreational rider, but it makes a HUGE difference for anybody racing seriously.For a $200+ Canadian that it cost for this upgrade, it should have performed as was advertised. If the REAL amount of travel was advertised, I could have at least saved the $80+ on the purchase of longer travel neutral shafts. The performance of the Superstrutts was no better than that of SpeedSprings or other coil spring upgrade. This upgrade WILL NOT make your Judy's feel like Bombers, as was written in a few other reviews. Shock performance using SuperStrutts falls short of that of Bombers due to the lack of travel and the lower overall stiffness of the Judy's. If you want to improve the performance of your lower to mid-range shock, this may be a good upgrade. If, on the other hand, you want to upgrade a high end shock (T2 and above), I suggest you spend your money on some other upgrade such as Speedsprings or Rockshox Type 3 springs.

Submitted by Doug Sloan a cross-country rider from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Follow up review after hard trail and road riding. They were great on the trail, especially absorbing small bumps. They react much more quickly than the stock Indy. There is a tradeoff, though. On hard, smooth surfaces, trail or the occasional road (I like to ride mountain roads on my mountain bike, too), they are really bouncy. Climbing slowly, they move about 1 of travel, and hard out of the saddle a good 2 of travel on a smooth surface. It's as if there is no damping whatsoever on the smooth surfaces. This is with the yellows (the stiffer ones), and I am 165 lbs., on a 97 Specialized Ground Control (dual suspension), with the preload on the forks all the way tight. On rough trails, they work great, on road or smooth trail, they are really boingy. But, I suppose they are intended for the trails, anyway. For an inexpensive upgrade, I would recommend them. However, for overall use, I would go with a good adjustably damped fork, if money is not the issue.