Dirtworks Suspension Stuff Dirtworks OTIS Shock Upgrade

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Dirtworks Suspension Stuff Dirtworks OTIS

Submitted by CALVIN DAVIS a Weekend Warrior from FAIRFIELD

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    EASY TO INSTALL, PLUSH RIDE, NO MAINTANCE, AND WORKS FAR BETTER THEN I COULD DREAM, INSTALLED ON A CHEAP MANITOU PRO LT FORK (80mm) NO ADJUSTMENT BUT PRELOAD OR YEA IF THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH (EST $105, WITH SHIPPING) MAYBE GET A JOB OR AT LEAST A REAL ONE.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I WEIGH ABOUT 200lbs, INSTALLED THE FRIM SPRING RATE, NOW WITH NO PRELOAD I HAVE 12-1/2% SAG PERFECT FOR LIGHT TRAIL RIDING, X/C, OR COUNTRY ROADS, AND NO OUT OF CONTROL BOBING
WHEN STANDING ON MY PEDALS OR DIVING WHEN BRAKING HARD...NOW IF I COULD CHANGE THIS SPRING RATE IN THE BACK...WORK NEVER ENDS...GOT TO FIND THAT PERFECT RIDE, REARS TOO SOFT.

Purchased At:   DIRT WORKS

Bike Setup:   VOODOO FULL SUSPENSION, REAR ROCKSHOCK

Submitted by Ben Lagueux from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Strengths:    Ease of installation, performance, adds new life to old forks

Weaknesses:    Hard to find, application guide (list of bikes they fit) not complete, price (I'm stingy, that's why I didn't get new forks)

Bottom Line:
You can teach old forks new tricks! Mt stock forks were too short travel and too mushy. I usually rode them with full preload. I weight 190 lbs. and was too much rider for the RS Jett C elastimers. I never thought to check to see if I had elastimers or springs. All I wanted was springs that suited my weight and riding style. For the price of another junky, bottom of the line for a respectable manufacter shock that still wouldn't fit my weight, I upgraded to above their middle-priced fork. I am super stoked so far and will post again after 100 hours of riding.

Favorite Trail:   McAllister PArk

Purchased At:   CycleLogic (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   None, though I found a different LBS that carries MountainSpeed springs... they had to order the right kit - no damper just progressive rate springs

Bike Setup:   IronHorse ARS 2.0 Team hardtail, XT deraillers, LX hubs with Sun IV rims, Kalloy UNO stem and Profile Freeride riser bars, Specialized Body Geometry seat.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Strengths:    Works as advertised - plush, reliable oil-damped front suspension. I had a RockShox Indy SL and it was a poor match to my MacStrut full suspension bike when I got it in 1997. Installed the OTIS the next year, with medium springs it is still going strong more than 2 years later after steady riding - no leaks, no problems, and full 80mm of travel. Friends that went with air-sprung upgrades have long since trashed their modified forks & bought new, but I haven't had to. The ride is very responsive and plush. Newer shocks and closeout prices may have made the OTIS less competitive, but I have to hand it to DirtWorks-it did everything they said it would for my old Indy.

Weaknesses:    None known

Bottom Line:
An excellent product from an honest and reputable bike guy. It received poor and unjustified press when introduced by MountainBiking 2 years ago (testing a pre-production version), which may have retarded its sales. Nevertheless I have never had anything but wonderful performance from the OTIS, the springs are excellent performance as well. While Mountain Biking (which refused to condemn the Shockster POS) bit the dust, my OTIS is still going strong!

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Friends have used (and discarded) various air-spring cartridge hop-ups

Bike Setup:   1997 Specialized AimPro MacStrut FS bike, completely rebuilt with lightweight, hi-performance part

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Strengths:    *Easy to install
*Worked like a charm the first time around - no adjustments needed
*Performs well
*reliable - little maint.

Weaknesses:    It is difficult to change or adjust oil and rate

Bottom Line:
I'm still riding (and loving it) a Halson fork which went out of business a few years ago. This makes it practically impossible to find any upgrades or replacement parts (the elastomer stacks in my fork needed replacing). Dirtworks was the only company that made products for the Halson Fork. (It turns out that the owner once owned the fork) I lived in the same city as Dirtworks so I visited them personally. The guy was really nice and provided me with everything I needed. Made a huge difference from the worn out elastomers.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross-Country Rider from Nashville

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
Easy installation
Works as claimed
Major improvement in ride

Weaknesses:
Some clatter from spring contacting tubes
Minimal instructions

Bottom Line:
Definitely improves comfort and control. DirtWorks was helpful with the setup (spring rate).
Less than half the price of a replacement shock

Land Between the Lakes

3 months

1997 Trek Y3
Manitou Pro C

Submitted by jc a Weekend Warrior from Newfields, NH

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Strengths:
Makes a really nice fork out of a really mediocre one !

Bottom Line:
Manitou Pro LTs are not a top end fork by a long shot. The roots, rocks and dropoffs I ride have been rattling my bones for a while, while my friends drop me with ease. This week I replaced the innards of the Pro LT with Dirtworks' OTIS system and whoa ! My test ride was on a section that usually rattles me right out of control, yet now I didn't even notice it until I'd past it. A ride that usually takes me 1 1/2 hours took just an hour this time. The performance difference in this fork was scary. It took about 40 minutes to install the OTIS, mostly because I couldn't get the caps off. I used the oil bath option and lots of Judy butter and it is sweet. Given that you can pick up a Pro LT for about $80 these days add the extra $100 or so for the OTIS and you have a pretty nice fork for under $200 !

uncanoonuk