BETD Kona Swingarm Upgrade Shock Upgrade

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Fully cnc machined from 6000 series alloy and anodised black or silver.

Runs with your standard shock, but you may have to uprate the spring by 50lb for the longer settings.

Submitted by Lucas Gilbert a Weekend Warrior from Kalamazoo,MI

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Great looking, awesome design, really helps bring a full suspension bike alive

Weaknesses:    It was a bit of guess-work as to if this would work with my frame or not

Bottom Line:
This kit is an awesome additition to a Riddik frame, kind of pricy but now I have a lightweight frame with >5" of travel and awesome geometry. Due to the size of my frame and the SPV valve I can't put it in the longer of the two settings (yet)but even at the shorter setting I still have an extra 1" of travel over the old set up. Since I am fairly light I could stick with the air shock setup and it worked great. Little extra pressure in the main chamber and I was ready to go. I chose the Kona Dawg and Bear plate for anyone looking at doing this to their Riddik.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer Rec Area

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Added the linkage to my Sette Riddik frame purchased online. Looks killer and really added some suspension to my frame.

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Not Sure.

Weaknesses:    Let me explain...

Bottom Line:
BETD – absolutely screwed me out of money…. to the tune of over $300.00 USD.
I ride a 2004 Specialized FSR-XC that I wanted to increase the travel on using a BETD linkage. All of the reviews here on mtbr.com say how helpful and responsive BETD is. I have a story contrary to that notion.

Because BETD’s website shows conflicting information regarding my specific bike I emailed them to ask specifically which linkage to purchase. It took BETD three days to respond to my request for clarification. Someone there named Dan emailed me back and explained that indeed I needed to purchase the ’04-’05 linkage for my bike. Great I thought, and placed the order. If you are not aware, all BETD products are sold at a cost in British pounds and then converted to US dollars based on the exchange rate. It cost 115 British pounds (including 15 pounds for shipping to the USA), or $209.00 US dollars for the new BETD suspension linkage. Not cheap. I waited with great anticipation as the new linkage flew over the pond. When it arrived the shipping cost stamped on the package was actually 8 British Pounds, not the 15 that they charged my credit card, and after inspection of the link itself it was obvious to me it was the wrong link!!! The linkage they sent me could never fit my bike. The linkage I really should have purchased for my bike is the 01’-03’ linkage because in Great Britain Specialized discontinued the FSR-XC frame ’04 type one year earlier than in the US.

My 2004 US frame is actually their 2003 frame!!!

Besides being disappointed I could not upgrade my bike I was upset that it was BETD who advised me to purchase the wrong product. Incurring long distance phone charges I called their shop and explained. They didn’t seem too interested in the details and simply told me to ship the product back to them for a refund. I then paid $33.00 US dollars to send this hunk of metal back to Great Britain. After a few days my UPS tracking number search showed that the package had been denied acceptance by BETD…. Why? WTF was going on I thought. Well, it’s because Great Britain wanted to charge me sales tax on a product entering their country. I tried to explain this to BETD over email and they have ignored me completely. I’ve tried to explain the situation to UPS shipping that this is a return item and should not be subject to any sales tax however they say there is nothing they can do to change the minds of the import authorities in Great Britain. So in order for me to get the linkage back to BETD I now have to pay sales tax on a product that I already paid for. The duties are estimated at an additional $70.00 USD. Consequently BETD has not refunded me the $209.00 dollars for the linkage because UPS won’t deliver it to them and has it held in a warehouse somewhere. As it stands I’m out $312.00 dollars and I have nothing to show for it but headache.

What a mess. BETD has been absolutely non-responsive regarding this issue and in my opinion has stolen my money.

Be warned… BETD is a horrible company to try and purchase products from overseas.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch outside of Boulder

Purchased At:   BETD website

Similar Products Used:   Factory linkage swingarm

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized FSR-XC in the USA (yes there is a difference).

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Westchester

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2005

Strengths:    Looks totally awesome, can be set up for either 5.5" or 4.5" travel, seems really solid, makes bike look (and ride) totally awesome(ly)

Weaknesses:    Not sure how weight compares to stock plates, a little tricky to install (would be nice if they came with metal collars that go inside bearings - kind of tricky salvaging these from your old plates)

Bottom Line:
I changed a lot of stuff on this bike. This linkage plus the RP3 balances out nicely with my Sherman Firefly fork. The whole setup allows me to get pretty aggressive on a bike that pedals well. My linkage is the bare aluminum. It looks cool. I am very happy with my bike, including the BETD linkage. It is pretty expensive, and not really something you'll be able to transfer to another bike if you decide to upgrade to a better frame. (But it is a lot cheaper than replacing your frame)

Purchased At:   BETD

Similar Products Used:   stock Kona linkage

Bike Setup:   2003 Kona Dawg, Sherman Firefly fork, Fox RP3 shock, Sun Rhyno Lites, XT drivetrain, Hayes Mag hydraulic discs (8" front, 6" rear) one finger Bonz brake levers, Specialized Roller RS Pro 2.3" tires, FSA Pig DH Pro headset, Oury lock on grips.

Submitted by Graham a Downhiller from Aberdeen UK

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    Really strong and xtreemly well built. They make such a difference to the feel of the rear end. I was running 5in on my 04 coiler but now im running 7in and its as plush as anything.

Weaknesses:    don't come with instructions, easy enough if you know pretty much what ur doing. the bearing units should come with the bushings in them it'd make life so much easier.

Bottom Line:
if you want to ride DH or big FR, but dont have $4000 to dish out, buy a 5in travel susser and get these on it. i was just about to get a brand new orange patriot, $1800, but the i saw these - what a saving!

I all, i think theyre one of the best things ive bought for my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and fluid

Purchased At:   BETD

Bike Setup:   cant be bothered to type it all but a DH ring anyway.

Submitted by Tim Burton a Downhiller from Bristol

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    it strong!! looks ok

Weaknesses:    none so far and ive bin using it a hell of a long time!

Bottom Line:
gr8 addition to any kona that'll take it! need 2 make ur shock coil stiffer first thouhg! otherwise u get way 2 much sag!

Similar Products Used:   --

Bike Setup:   kona stab 02, cobats 24", jrT 2004

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very well made. Easy to put on, the hardest part was taking the bolts out of the original plates. Added 2 inches of rear wheel travel, now have 5 inches. Makes the bike ride much better.

Weaknesses:    Expensive for what they really are, just two pieces of milled aluminum.
Not really a weakness, but the shifter and break cables will have to be replaced with longer ones.

Bottom Line:
These are great for adding more travel to your bike suspension. I bought a cross-country bike and quickly outgrew the suspension capabilities, and these take it to another level without having to buy a whole new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Mail order from BETD

Similar Products Used:   None available.

Bike Setup:   2003 Kahuna Deluxe, Avid Juicy 7 Disk brakes, 2003 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 FR 130mm front fork, 2004 Fox Float RL pro-pedal rear shock and BETD long travel plates.

Submitted by sean temrick from fernie B.C

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Just recieved them, easy to install just need to press out the old spacers. fit prefectly looks good to

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
just going to try them really stoked. hopefully its like a new bike

Purchased At:   betd

Similar Products Used:   none advalible

Bike Setup:   2000 stinky deelux, and some race face parts upgrades

Submitted by Kaku Ito a Downhiller from Setagya, Tokyo

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    More Travel and capability in setting at two positions. Nice craftmanship.

Weaknesses:    The bearing kit that was made for this upgrade did not match my bike. I had to make up a spacer by myslef.

Bottom Line:
This is the review for Stab Long Travel Link Plate upgrade.
I had a hard time to fit them on my bike. As Eric below says, Rob at Betd was responsible, but I had to make up a spacer.
It worked very well after they were installed, gave me a lot more confidence to try more aggresive hucks.

After I sold this bike to a girl downhiller, made the setup to more downhill purpose, after she had a few crashes, the chianstay cracked. I don't know if there is any relation to what the upgrade did to the strength.

Favorite Trail:   Fujimi Panorama

Purchased At:   betd mail order

Bike Setup:   1999 Kona Stab, Marzocchi Shiver SC, 24 inch Wheels, fox vanilla RC

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    These linkage plates are really well made. They came with all of the necessary bearings/pieces to install on your bike. It shouldn't take longer than an hour if you know what your doing and they provide the necessary directions.

Weaknesses:    Didn't come with directions so it took me longer to install than it should have. I have a bit of a creak in one of my bearings that I need to replace now - but that happens with the standard linkage too.

Bottom Line:
Rob from BETD has been really helpful and super responsive. Their product is very well made and super beefy - compared to the stock linkage. They provided all of the parts necessary to install and it has literally transformed my bike.

By adding this linkage to your bike, you need to be aware that it will raise your BB height an inch. It hasn't adversely affected me, but it is something to consider. Because you'll be raising the back-end of the bike, you should bump up your front fork then too. For instance, I put the Fox 125 Vanilla on my bike to keep the geometry from becoming too steep.

Also, with the Pound to Dollar conversion, it ends up being a little spendy, but hey, it's a quality product and their support is stellar....plus it extended the life of my Kona - otherwise I would've been looking for a new freeride bike right away.

Bottom Line: If you have a Bear, Stinky, Giant, or Specialized and you want to bump up your rear travel, you should consider betd's products. It essentially converted my 4" travel Kona to a 5 or 6" travel freeride-lite machine.

I ride my Bear at the bike park in Whistler, on the North Shore, etc. and there are only a few drops I won't take it off (for my own and my bike's health) and then take it on all-day epics. Talk about versatility!! I'm about to install a Romic Double D to help with the pedaling efficiency, but my bike rules with the new linkage...

Favorite Trail:   Schleyer (Whistler)

Purchased At:   BETD,co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Just the linkage the bike came with.

Bike Setup:   '02 Kona Bear - Fox 125 Vanilla R, Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes, Race Face cranks, chainring and bashguard, Fox Vanilla R rear shock, XT disc hubs w/ sun singletrack rims, Easton monkeylite riser bar, XT drivetrain

Submitted by Peter Austin a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    Extra boing for your back end. Stinky deelux 99. Changed from 5inch to 5.5-6.5 adjustable. Came with new bearings.

Weaknesses:    None sso far.

Bottom Line:
These travel plates made one of the greatest changes to my speed that any small product has ever managed. The back end simply eats all the bumps, jumps and ruts. What more can I say. An essential for anyone looking to go all out DH or jump of silly high tall things. Not good for xc whippets.

Favorite Trail:   pinchflat

Purchased At:   BETD direct

Bike Setup:   UK DH ideal. See stinky deelux review.

Submitted by jason g. a Downhiller from cali

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    xtra travel

Weaknesses:    a little hard to set up if you dont have the proper tools.
i work at wheelworld, so i had the right tools.

Bottom Line:
good upgrade for the price.go with ups ground shipping. they told me that it would be free shipping with u.s. postal, or 100.00 for ground.I chose free. what i forgot was how long it would take from the u.k.-a full month of waiting!

Purchased At:   wheel world

Bike Setup:   2001 stinky primo frame/01 full black jr.t/gazzoladi2.6 ft&rear.