BETD Giant Swingarm Upgrade Shock Upgrade

• USES YOUR EXISTING SHOCK

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by egolds77 a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Great strength and travel. Cool company name etched into the links.

Weaknesses:    The biggest complaint I have is that when nearing full travel, inside of the attachment lugs of the rear frame triangle contacts the seat clamp before topping out the shock's travel. I had to buy a seat clamp with a single bolt and file down about 40% of the clamp, down to as much as about 1.5mm - 1/16' in a couple of places so that there is no contact during travel and full travel of the shock occurs, therefore utilising the full travel of the suspension links.

Bottom Line:
    I wrote to BETD about this problem and have had no reply. I eventually called them and said that they have never heard of this occuring before, which I find impossible since every AC frame is identical and has never changed over the years, so the problem would be common with all. BETD just doesn't want to hear about problems and is not willing to admit any or willing to deal with any. They are happy to take your money knowing that this problem occurs and not willing to provide any customer service.

Another reviewer has also experienced this problem with the frame contact and BETD's poor customer service.

Just so that you are aware, since the leverage ratios are greater when the links are used at the 7.5' setting, you will have to use a greater rate spring, around 100 lbs firmer to compensate. If you use a FOX DHX 5 AIR, this would be simple to compensate for by using more air in the shock, however you'll need 2 springs for your shock to use the different settings on the links.

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I am going to design similar links myself to correct this problem with seat post clamp contact near full travel.
    If anyone would be interested in some links, send me an email and once I have designed and tested mine, I'll contact you with details of them.

Purchased At:   BETD

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant AC
    Avid Code brakes
    Progressive 5th Element hock
    Marzocchi Bomber 66RCX2 fork

Submitted by Jake from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Not Sure.

Weaknesses:    Let me explain

Bottom Line:
    BETD – absolutely screwed me out of money…. to the tune of over $300.00 USD.
    I ride a 2004 Specialized FSR-XC that I wanted to increase the travel on using a BETD linkage. All of the reviews here on mtbr.com say how helpful and responsive BETD is. I have a story contrary to that notion.

Because BETD’s website shows conflicting information regarding my specific bike I emailed them to ask specifically which linkage to purchase. It took BETD three days to respond to my request for clarification. Someone there named Dan emailed me back and explained that indeed I needed to purchase the ’04-’05 linkage for my bike. Great I thought, and placed the order. If you are not aware, all BETD products are sold at a cost in British pounds and then converted to US dollars based on the exchange rate. It cost 115 British pounds (including 15 pounds for shipping to the USA), or $209.00 US dollars for the new BETD suspension linkage. Not cheap. I waited with great anticipation as the new linkage flew over the pond. When it arrived the shipping cost stamped on the package was actually 8 British Pounds, not the 15 that they charged my credit card, and after inspection of the link itself it was obvious to me it was the wrong link!!! The linkage they sent me could never fit my bike. The linkage I really should have purchased for my bike is the 01’-03’ linkage because in Great Britain Specialized discontinued the FSR-XC frame ’04 type one year earlier than in the US.

My 2004 US frame is actually their 2003 frame!!!

Besides being disappointed I could not upgrade my bike I was upset that it was BETD who advised me to purchase the wrong product. Incurring long distance phone charges I called their shop and explained. They didn’t seem too interested in the details and simply told me to ship the product back to them for a refund. I then paid $33.00 US dollars to send this hunk of metal back to Great Britain. After a few days my UPS tracking number search showed that the package had been denied acceptance by BETD…. Why? WTF was going on I thought. Well, it’s because Great Britain wanted to charge me sales tax on a product entering their country. I tried to explain this to BETD over email and they have ignored me completely. I’ve tried to explain the situation to UPS shipping that this is a return item and should not be subject to any sales tax however they say there is nothing they can do to change the minds of the import authorities in Great Britain. So in order for me to get the linkage back to BETD I now have to pay sales tax on a product that I already paid for. The duties are estimated at an additional $70.00 USD. Consequently BETD has not refunded me the $209.00 dollars for the linkage because UPS won’t deliver it to them and has it held in a warehouse somewhere. As it stands I’m out $312.00 dollars and I have nothing to show for it but headache.

What a mess. BETD has been absolutely non-responsive regarding this issue and in my opinion has stolen my money.

Be warned… BETD is a horrible company to try and purchase products from overseas.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch outside of Boulder

Purchased At:   BETD website

Similar Products Used:   Factory linkage

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized FSR-XC in the USA (yes there is a difference).

Submitted by Petteri a Downhiller from Oulu

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, looks great, adjusts head angle.

Weaknesses:    Blew my Rockshox Super Deluxe with 7,5 inch settings.

Bottom Line:
    Great upgrade, but I use it now only to stiffen up the rear end. 7,5 inch setting requires a better shock than the RS. A Romic might be suitable.

Purchased At:   BETD store

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Giant AC team, Z1 CR

Submitted by Aaron Moore a Downhiller from Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Way more strength than stock plates.

Weaknesses:    increases travel so much that metal mashes metal with seat stay and seat post!

Bottom Line:
    If your feild is down hill or freeride, these plates are for you, but if your none of the above and just bought the bike cuzz the it has the capability to do everything you want to do, you should still get the plates. it is such an improvement.

Purchased At:   http://www.betd.co.uk/website/betdframeset.htm

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air all stock except on 02 BoXXer and SingleTrack rims with Michelin tires, Mr. Dirt Gizmo chainguide.

Submitted by Gordon from North Bend Wa

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Strengths:    beefy design,increased travel

Weaknesses:    they came with the wrong bearings,I cracked a bolt,betd said that I was wrong and they were the right ones, the betd bearings were alot thinner.so I took the stock giant ones and pressed them in which cured the problem.Still seemed washy so I installed a solid 9mm bolt in axle in the rear hub

Bottom Line:
    It's a pretty good bang for the buck,but if I had to do it all over again I'd just go with the shock.It has a 2.3" stroke so it's 7" travel with the stock plates.with the betd plates I get 8 3/4".The customer service was ok until I told them that maybe I had the wrong bearings.....then I became the idiot

Bike Setup:   giant ac2,mavic 321's,monster-t,raceface cranks hayes purples w/stainless lines,stratos helix expert.

Submitted by Michael Bennett from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    Increases travel by 1.5". Easy to install. Beefier than stock plates. Can use the same shock (may need a stiffer spring because of increased leverage) Raises bottom bracket 1.5". Customer service at BETD.

Weaknesses:    Raises bottom bracket 1.5"

Bottom Line:
    Awesome upgrade. In my review for the Giant AC 2 (2001) I stated that someone should make a longer travel rear end for these bikes. Two weeks later I saw the link on nsmb.com for travel upgrades for Giant, Kona and Specialized. I was so stoked and ordered the plates that day. If you are riding your AC bike the way it was intended to be ridin...you should definately buy this upgrade. Makes drops and downhilling much better and more fun. The guys at BETD are really cool too.

Favorite Trail:   I love trails