BETD FSR Swingarm Upgrade Shock Upgrade

4.68/5 (76 Reviews)

Gives you 4", 5" and 6" of very plush travel.

Runs on needle roller bearing, at the pivot that connects the linkage to the frame.

Kit is supplied with a new 8mm bolt and a set of bushes to fit your lower shock eye.

Fully cnc machined from a single billet of 6000 series alloy, and anodised black or silver as standard colours Works with the standard shock, Fox, Manitou, Rock Shox, Stratos and other popular shocks. The spring rate may require adjusting to suit you riding style and type of use this Linkage is complemented with our needle roller bearing kits. The bearing kits are available for the 97 to 99 bikes.

Submitted by mburgess_nz a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent suspension component. Beautifully machined and fits in as a perfect replacement.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I waited a few weeks for delivery of this part as BETD were out of stock. Well worth waiting for. Completely changed the ride of my bike. The bike is riding the best it ever has with this part on. My stock suspension link was welded out of alignment from the factory (something I did not realise until I attempted to change the bearings myself) so I decided to replace with the BETD link on reading the previous reviews. One area I have noticed a considerable improvement in is climbing. Previous hills I could not ride up with the stock link on are now possible to ride from bottom to top. The bike feels very stable when climbing. Overall the suspension feels very solid and I feel much more confident when attempting technical sections of trails. Excellent value product.

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialised Expert FSR

Submitted by Terry a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2006

Strengths:    stiffer, needle bearings, quite nice build quality

Weaknesses:    adds a bit of weight. 240 gm compared to 100 on original link

Bottom Line:
Set on 6 inch travel. Using a 950lb spring on original RS Coupe shock. This thing really adds to the old bike. Balances out the 5.1 inch front nicely (even a bit much) & adds BB height. What I noticed is less bob. there was very little with that spring, but now less. Only reason I can guess is that it makes the seat stay closer to 90 degrees. As the resultant force along the seat stay from pedalling is the pedal force X the Cosine of the chain stay/seat stay angle and as the cosine approaches zero as it gets to 90 degrees, this must reduce the induced forces on the shock. At any event there is none on road or trail and the added traction climbing rough stuff is really noticeable.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   99 FSR comp. Rockshox 318 Tora air shock, XT gear, Alex rims etc.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    excellent quality, increases travel and bottom bracket height

Weaknesses:    increases leverage ratio on shock, if you are a heavy rider, consider changing to a coil spring shock or incrasing the shock lenth by .5 inch and travel by .25 inch - this will accomplish the same thing

Bottom Line:
You should also increase the front fork travel to keep the geometry and steering feel balanced

I ended up going from a 6 x 1.25 air shock to a 6.5 x 1.5 coil spring shock. I am much happier. The air shock had to be run at such high pressure that the rebound dampening could not control the return and the rear end would 'kick'.

I am still using the BETD link in the shortest travel setting and getting 120mm of travel.

NOTE - I am a 225lb rider

Bike Setup:   2002 Stumpy FSR w/ 120mm fork

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Not sure.

Weaknesses:    Let me explain....

Bottom Line:
BETD – absolutely screwed me out of money… to the tune of over $300.00 USD.

I ride a 2004 Specialized FSR-XC that I wanted to increase the travel on using a BETD linkage. All of the reviews here on mtbr.com say how helpful and responsive BETD is. I have a story contrary to that notion.

Because BETD’s website shows somewhat conflicting information regarding my specific bike I emailed them to ask specifically which linkage to purchase. It took BETD three days to respond to my request for clarification. Someone there named Dan emailed me back and explained that indeed I needed to purchase the ’04-’05 linkage for my bike. Great I thought, and placed the order. If you are not aware, all BETD products are sold at a cost in British pounds and then converted to US dollars based on the current exchange rate. It cost 115 British pounds (including 15 pounds for shipping to the USA), or $209.00 US dollars for the new BETD suspension linkage. Not cheap. I waited with great anticipation as the new linkage flew over the pond. When it arrived the shipping cost stamped on the package was actually 8 British Pounds, not the 15 that they charged my credit card, and after inspection of the link itself it was obvious to me that it was the wrong link!!! The linkage they sent me could never fit my bike. The linkage I really should have purchased is the 01’-03’ linkage because in Great Britain Specialized discontinued the FSR-XC frame ’04 type one year earlier than in the US.

My 2004 US frame is actually their 2003 frame!!!

Besides being disappointed I could not upgrade my bike I was upset that it was BETD who advised me to purchase the wrong product. Incurring long distance phone charges I called their shop and explained. They didn’t seem too interested in the details and simply told me to ship the product back to them for a refund. I then paid $33.00 US dollars to send this hunk of metal back to Great Britain. After a few days my UPS tracking number search showed that the package had been denied acceptance by BETD…. Why? WTF was going on I thought. Well, it’s because the Great Britain wanted to charge me sales tax on a product entering their country. I tried to explain this to BETD over email and they have ignored me completely. I’ve tried to explain the situation to UPS shipping that this is a return item and should not be subject to any sales tax however they say there is nothing they can do to change the minds of the import authorities in Great Britain. So in order for me to get the linkage back to BETD I now have to pay sales tax on a product that I already paid for. The duties are estimated at an additional $70.00 USD. Consequently BETD has not refunded me the $209.00 dollars for the linkage because UPS won’t deliver it to them and has it held in a warehouse somewhere. As it stands I’m out $312.00 dollars and I have nothing to show for it but headache.

What a mess. BETD has been absolutely non-responsive regarding this issue and in my opinion has stolen my money.

Be warned… BETD is a horrible company to try and purchase products from overseas.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch outside of Boulder

Purchased At:   BETD website

Similar Products Used:   Original Factory Linkage

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized FSR-XC in the USA (yes there is a difference).

Submitted by Bryan C a Downhiller from Tacoma, Wa

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    This is for the Enduro model. Well made and burly! Easier to put on than stock link. Ultra plush feel from stock shock. Just add about 20lbs more and your goog to go.

Weaknesses:    Nothing other than a few more ounces (cry you weight weenies) and of course the price.

Bottom Line:
Expensive but well worth it if you need more and smoother travel out of your 02-04 Enduro frame. I'm using the 6 in. travel setting and it simply make the bike a very capable freeside/all mountain bike. 4 flames only because off the $$$. Now go ride your butts off!

Favorite Trail:   SeaTac Freeride Area (Flow)

Purchased At:   used from another rider

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it.

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Enduro Pro frame, 05 Marzocchi Z3(150mm)with 20mm axle, Fox RL w/Itch switch, wheels and stuff.

Submitted by HOFFMAN 223 a Weekend Warrior from coral gables, fl

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    Incredible machine work, very solid, no weak spots or thinly machined areas, perfect fit to frame and seat stays, beautifully anodized (gold), bearing kit fits perfectly, and shock eye bushes are the nicest I've ever seen. Adjustable from 4 to 5 to 6 inches of rear travel and buttery smooth operation. Incredible quality, can't stress this enough!!!

Weaknesses:    None except for the depreciation of the U.S. dollar compared to the British pound. It was a little expensive, but regardless, more than worth it

Bottom Line:
What more can I say that I didn't mention up top? I ordered the linkage along with the seatstay bearing kit and the "A" link kit, which is for the "horst link". The whole package ran about $300 US, but was more than worth it, my six year old frame rides like a brand new bike, and that is no exaggeration.
The bearings fit perfectly, and stiffened up the rear end considerably, the old pivot bushings were shot and I was getting some side to side play.
As far as the linkage goes, I usually run it in the 5" setting, but it feels like 6"s compared to the old linkage and the stiction I was getting in the pivots. It raised my bottom bracket a bit so that helps with ground clearance, and it certainly helped to balance out the travel with my Manitou Sherman.
Bottom line is this...would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Was it worth the money? Yes, and possibly more $$$ considering it completely changed the whole ride and feel of my bike. Would I reccomend it to other FSR owners? Absolutely, if you love your FSR like I love mine, then this is the perfect upgrade. Not only does it bring the bike up to the level of all of the "newest and hottest" suspension designs out there, but it also helps to extend the life of the frame simply by replacing an underbuilt, worn out linkage with a super functional piece of art.
Lastly, the customer service at BETD is the best of any company that I have ever dealt with. They respond to any e-mails immediately, will work with you over the phone, (I had to call for some tech support), ship faster from England than most US companies ship within the US, and will make sure your order is exactly what you wanted. I only have supreme praise for both the company and their product.

Favorite Trail:   amelia earhart

Purchased At:   BETD online shop

Similar Products Used:   Just the stock linkage that gave 4"s of travel.

Bike Setup:   99' FSR, RaceFace cranks, Avid discs, XT ders., Manitou Shermans, Rhyno-lite XL wheels, atomlab stem, protaper bars, dk iron-cross pedals, FUNN saddle, FSA Pig pro headset.....you get the idea, extra burly.

Submitted by dwayne a Weekend Warrior from rochester, MI

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    build quality, appearance, adjustability, customer service

Weaknesses:    ??????????

Bottom Line:
this thing is like a piece of art. the extra ground clearence allows me to run 180 mm cranks, between the fork and the link, i haven't got the tuning sorted out yet, but first impressions are favorable. like others, i was contemplating buying a new frame, no need to now. you can't touch the performance that this link with a longer travel fork provides for twice the money. so with the money your gonna spend on a new bike, get the link and an adjustable fork, pimp out your ride a little, and still have dough left over. Bob is the real deal, as mentioned several times before. 10 stanley steamers

Favorite Trail:   the one that leads to my girls house

Purchased At:   BETD online shop

Similar Products Used:   stock link

Bike Setup:   99 FSR-XC, the link, Fox TALAS RLC, Avid juicy 7 brakes, Raceface Dues crankset, SRAM XO rr der and shifters, hugi hubs wrapped in 717 hoops, easton carbon bars and post

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    easy to install, good manufacturing quality and aesthetics
raises bottom bracket height (soemthing stumpjumpers need), adjustable travel and bottom bracket height

Weaknesses:    should have come with all 4 pivot bearings. If you are goin gto take the link off you might as well replace all the bearings. One of the bearings I took out to put on the betd link was trashed.
If you are at or above the bike's max weight limit (215lbs), the link puts too much leverage on the shock to run it in the 120mm setting. Actually it should only be run in the A or B setting.

Bottom Line:
A decent improvement for the price. Adds much needed bottombracket height. Adds some travel or lots of travel if you are a light rider.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   2001 Stumpjumper pro w/ Roxkshock Duke 100mm

Submitted by Jeff Miller a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Looks great, designed well

Weaknesses:    extra weight (minimal)

Bottom Line:
Was ready to trade in the 5 year old bike, but ordered the betd linkage and bearing kit to try. They were out of stock but made some for me six weeks later. Totally changed my bike from an outdated nice ride to one that competes with any of my buddies $4,0000 rides. I could not believe how the suspension changed my bike into one plush, road eating machine. Specialized never offered this upgrade as they knew you would never trade in your bike. Fairly easy to install, but hard for me to fine tune. Once I got it right...unbelievable.

Favorite Trail:   three bears

Purchased At:   BETD online

Bike Setup:   Stock 99 Specialized stumpjumper fsr xc pro, mostly xt and xtr. Only upgrade is rear Fox float rl shock

Submitted by Prop's a Weekend Warrior from Nantes, France

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    The high quality needle bearings.

Weaknesses:    The poor quality of the provided screw and bolt.
Some play in the lower shock ring.

Bottom Line:
This kit is great, but just be very carefull with your rear shock. As you may have read on the other reviews, air pressure has to be increased to compensate the gain of plushness and travel. I usally ride with the lowest travel position (90mm). I wanted to use the intermediate travel position (110mm), and after a 3h epic ride, the oil seal of my rear shock litteraly exploded !

Actually I recommend to use the 110mm travel only with a new or recently revised shock, and avoid using the 130 mm travel with an air shock.

Excepted that point, there is nothing to say about this product... Once it is set up on your bike (can be a bit long, especially with the lower bearing kits), just forget it and ride. It only needs to be greased once a year for an optimal rolling.

Purchased At:   betd online shop

Bike Setup:   S Works M4 FSR 1999, Fox Float RC rear shock, Marzo MX, XT/XTR, 517 ceramic / DT240 hubs

Submitted by ryan dougovito a Weekend Warrior from Denver,CO

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2004

Strengths:    works exactly as described and gives you a much better bike. gives great BB clearance and plush travel

Weaknesses:    have to increase the pressure or the air shock considerably. not really a weakness tho.

Bottom Line:
probably no difference in performance if you don't ride technical, rocky trails. if you do, you'll climb better and have a much more stable ride on the downhills. I had it in my hand 7 days after betd shipped it. very fast for a good product.

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge, apex

Purchased At:   www.betd.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   stock link

Bike Setup:   2002 stumpy pro, fox float in the rear @ 120mm, psylo in the front at 125mm.

Submitted by Anand Mehta a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, PA ,USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    The ride

Weaknesses:    The Cost and the leverage ratio

Bottom Line:
Well, it has been close to a year and I can now say the link is worth it. The ride has only gotten better with the addition of the Fox Vanilla R. With the 1.75 stroke unit, I get either 4.6, 5.8 or a whopping 7 inches of travel from the shock. This is both theoretical travel based upon shock stroke and leverage ratio and actual travel based upon removing the spring and seeing how much wheel travel exist. It is everything that is claimed. With a 120 mm travel shock up front, the bike has a nice smooth ride to say the least. I am 200 lbs and use a 900 lbs spring in the 4.6 inch setting. Although the bike originally claimed 4.3 inches of travel, the travel with the BETD link is much, much better. The BETD link is a dramatic improvement in all settings. With the full bearing kit and the lively shock, climbing is a bit of a chore but I am hoping PUSH industries can help with that. Overall, I am happy with the link and bearings from BETD. As stated by most people here, they are a friendly bunch at BETD and are always wiling to help. Would I do it again? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes, without a doubt. The cost issues are still a bit hard to swallow but the ride (and time) make up for it.