X-Fusion 02 PVA Rear Shock

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

The 02 PVA is our top of the line performance air shock. This shock is equipped with the new proprietary PowerValve technology. This feature is the external adjustment of the PowerValve system. By adjusting the damp threshold of the PowerValve the rider has the ability to fine tune this feature to optimize the performance for specific conditions. With today's market demanding shock technology that increases ride efficiency, the new 02 PVA is a shock that delivers.

Submitted by seif14 a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent versatility. Climbs very close to a shock with a lock out and as plush as any Fox I've ridden when open. The two in between setting are where you can really dial the shock by trail.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
WOW! What an upgrade from the Fox Float R with propedal. First of all, $268 with tax delivered to my house. Granted I live fairly close to HQ, but to have the shock on my front door 18hrs after placing the order is ridiculous. Performance is MUCH better than expected. I was going with an RP23 but then discovered XFusion. They are a local company to me and came highly recommended from two very good shops. Very stiff when completely closed and extremely plush when open. The two settings in between are great for those "in between" trails. The only thing better than the shock's performance is the customer service. I needed to invert this shock on my bike because the valve stem butted against the frame and I sheared it off (yes I know this is common and yes I am mechanically challenged). I explained my situation to the Xfusion team acknowledging it was clearly my mistake and they fixed it on the spot, same day! I didn't think anyone gave that kind of support anymore. X-Fusion team, you rock and you now have a customer for life.
I highly recommend this shock to any cross country rider who needs the stiffness when climbing but wants the suspension to suck up the more technical downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Brail Trail, Demonstration Forrest

Purchased At:   XFusion

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float RL, Fox Float R with Propedal

Bike Setup:   Norco Fluid 2, Fox Talas RLC, Sram XO RD, Shimano XT FD, magura marta SL disc brakes, Sram X9 Shifters, DT Swiss 240 hubs, 4.2D Rims,

Submitted by skiier91094 a Racer from Green Bay, WI USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty Smooth travel

Weaknesses:    slight oil leak, it squeeked terribly one time, and refused to rebound, but then it stopped and now works perfectly

Bottom Line:
Good shock for the price. If your more than a recreational rider, you might want to get a tad nicer one.

Favorite Trail:   Bairds Creek

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   First Rear Shock

Bike Setup:   05' Specialized FSRxc, Clipless pedals, BB7 Disks

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Strengths:    Durability, Serviceability, Performance, Customer Service

Weaknesses:    Only that it still isn't a well known product

Bottom Line:
I wanted to give a follow up after one year of use. The lubrication issue did pop up once as the shock started squeaking during a ride. However, it took me all of 15 minutes back at the garage to disassemble, lubricate (slick honey), and reassemble the shock. It continues to work fantastically, obviously a quality product. Also, it should be noted that like many stable platform shocks (5th Element comes to mind as feeling similar), it will usually feel a bit sluggish on the rebound when doing a "showroom" compression of the suspension. Don't be fooled, this shock comes to life out on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R, Romic D, Rock Shox SID rear shock

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Evans, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth Action with some preset platform. Simple but rugged design that doesn't require much fuss to set up.

Weaknesses:    Requires lubricity attention. Not really a weakness but the owner needs to be aware of the fact that these shocks work best when the seals are well lubed and cared for.

Bottom Line:
A nice performing shock that sometimes gets bad press because of its tight tolerances. This shock requires that you keep the seals lubed. The good thing is that it is extremely easy to service. It takes about a 1/2 hour for a home-brew mechanic to dissemble, lube and reassemble the shock. We bought the bike as a leftover that had been sitting for a while. The shock was extremely tight. I talked to Alex at X-Fusion and he quickly squared us away. Fantastic and quick response by the X-Fusion guys.

Favorite Trail:   Forks Area Trail System (FATS) Edgeville County, SC

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Bicycling, Martinez, GA

Similar Products Used:   FOX Float R

Bike Setup:   Haro Shift R5 with SRAM X7 shifting group and Avid BB5 brake set.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, high volume air chamber, excellent adjustability, solid platform dampening, great price

Weaknesses:    was a little stiff at first, but has broken in nicely

Bottom Line:
I purchased this shock from a bicycle dealer on E-bay as a new shock. When it arrived, it certainly looked new, but once mounted to my bike, it seemed to have some seriously thick oil. Compression and rebound were super sluggish. I contacted Alex @ X-Fusion and he and Sam set me up nicely. They sent a call tag for the shock and within a week I had a new shock (5 stars for customer service!). The new shock works great and I know have half a dozen rides on it. It seemed a bit stiff at first, but it seems it needed a couple of rides to "break in". I run 55psi lower pressure than the Fox or SID shocks I have run in the past. You can feel the difference, much more linear feel...yet the shock doesn't bottom out. The 4 setting PVA valve works great. I don't really use the strongest setting as its close to a lock-out, but settings 1-3 are used every ride. The shock feels very controlled, no excessive movement. While I can't comment on durability after only 6 rides, the air chamber has held air perfectly. I would really recommend this shock as an alternative to Fox, Rock Shox, and Manitou shocks. It is the best air shock I've owned so far.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   2000 Fox Float R, 2001 Fox Float R, 2002 Rock Shox SID XC, 2005 Fox Float R w/propedal

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis XLT

Submitted by John Clavery a Cross Country Rider from Swindon (UK)

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to fit and set up. Great price!

Weaknesses:    None discovered yet.

Bottom Line:
Almost bought the Fox RP3, but the price was too high to persuade my wife to let me have it!! (I'm not under the thumb, honest!!!). So after talking to one of the guys at Super Cycles in Nottingham, i decided that the price and spec sounded great value for the X-Fusion PVA.
I have been riding with the shock fitted for nearly two weeks and find it really does make a difference having the PVA. All three setting are noticable, but i tend to run it on it's lowest which still gives you a good stable pedalling platform and bump absorbtion. When riding on smooth surfaces, the middle setting is great at almost killing rear bob which makes a big difference over longer distance rides. I have run and owned an O2R for over 2 1/2 years previous to the new PVA shock, and have always found it to be reliable and cheap to service.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Super cycles- Nottingham(UK)

Similar Products Used:   X-Fusion O2R-2003 model.

Bike Setup:   Marin East Peak (2003)

X-fusion - tuned 02R or aftermarket 02 PVA?

Hi there, I am thinking of a light rear shock for my Enduro to have it for XC trips, and currently came across two offers for around $60 - new 02R taken of the Spec Pitch (similar, if not the same frame design as mine) or a used aftermarket 02 PVA taken of a yet unknown frame. What would you c ... Read More »

X-Fusion 02 PVA is a great SA shock.

This shock is turning out to be a great shock for my San Andreas. I am surprized this company isn't more well known. Everything I have read about this company has been very positive. And their customer service seems to be really good. This shock doesn't plow through the mid stroke like most air shoc ... Read More »