Stratos Strada pro Rear Shock

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Strada pro

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Haslett, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    incremental tunability, total lockout

Weaknesses:    had problems when I first got it

Bottom Line:
Though I haven't tried any other rear shocks I'm not sure what more I could want from one. Once I got my original one fixed (which was the shop's fault for selling me something that obviously didn't work - it didn't rebound smoothly..that only took a week, by the way) this shock has been great. The adjustability is very precise - I often make small adjustments as I ride and this helps adapt the bike to many differences in terrain. The lockout is complete - you have a hardtail when it's locked (you can tell because if you forget it's locked by accident - ouch! :). And when it's opened up it's *way plush*.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Owl Hollow MTS full titanium

Submitted by Brian Brown a Cross Country Rider from Washington, Pa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, good features with the rebound adjustment and the lock out on the fly.

Weaknesses:    Factory support and the lockout feature sucks!

Bottom Line:
I have had my bike for about 13 months, and of those I have had my shock serviced by stratos three times. Each time a little less of the original shock is returned to me and yet the same problem keeps occurring. I bought this bike for the shock, I could have gotten better components and a Fox locking shock for a couple hundred less on a DBR. The true problem is that the lockout hasn't worked for more than 2 months and then it just sags to the open position on the shock. My LBS had lots of trouble getting through to Stratos and repairs took a long time. Now the year warranty is up and I have to pay for any further repairs out of my own pocket, even though the original problems was never fixed. I have talked to several other people who have had similar problems, after several tries they gave up and now they are just collecting dust. I highly recomend this shock if you really don't want the lockout and if you are willing to settle for less than what you paid for. I went onto Stratos's site and they say the new one "Strato Pro XC" is more reliable. I am going to try and trade mine in for a new one through their program to see if that will work. Wish me luck

Favorite Trail:   The Edge

Similar Products Used:   Test ridden a few different set ups.

Bike Setup:   Custom Trek Y-50 due to warranty.

Submitted by SCOTTY G a Weekend Warrior from BENTON LA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    LOCKOUT GOOD REBOUND AND DAMPENING TOTALY ADJUSTABLE, VERY LIGHT

Weaknesses:    SERVICE

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THE PRODUCT BUT CANT STAND THE SERVICE . I SENT IT IN TO BE REBUILT BECAUSE IT STARTED GETTING NOISY AND SLOW TO REACT, NO BIG DEAL I USE IT ALOT, IT NEEDED IT. SENT IT 3 DAY AIR WITH EXTRA MONEY FOR A 48 HOUR TURNAROUND, WELL 30 DAYS LATER IT WAS RETURNED. IF THE COMPANY HAD NOT TAKEN CARE OF THE BILL I WOULD HAVE REALLY DOGGED THEM. BUT THE PRODUCT IS GOOD AND THEY DID COMPENSATE ME. BUT I WOULD HAVE PAID FULL PRICE FOR REPAIRS MADE ON TIME . GUYS HIRE SOME MORE WORKERS.

Favorite Trail:   LINCOLN PARISH LA

Similar Products Used:   SEVERAL ROCK SHOK PRODUCT

Bike Setup:   Y-33 WITH THE WORKS

Submitted by Joew a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, Ca, US of A

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    Lock-Out, Progressivity, Tune-ability, Robust.

Weaknesses:    Requires some TLC once ever 18 months

Bottom Line:
The guy below probably never had the shock checked out by a bike shop that knew what to do. I've heard several similar stories from DB owners - nobody at Diamond Back has any experience with the older, high-end bikes. I'm not kidding - my 'DH' ride is a DBR X10 LT, and they don't even know who welded the frame! (Anodize Inc in USA).

I needed to have the shock overhauled a year and a half after I got the bike.

I needed to replace the entire drive-train (chain, cassette, chainrings (XTR!$$) rear derailleur($)) after 14 months.

I replaced the Judy SL after 12 months because it was sloppy.

I replaced the headset within 2 weeks because Chris is King!

After the shock was rebuilt, I rode it up 'till last fall and decided to trade it in on a new XC Pro.

No complaints. Y-33's a good road bike now.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Similar Products Used:   Fox Alps 4 and 5, Early Risse, Fox FLOAT, XC Pro, Helix Pro, Noleen

Bike Setup:   Y-33, Magura HS33, XTR, Chris King, Etc.

Submitted by Brandon a cross-country rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a diamond back V8 and this shock was the stock part. When I first rode this bike there was noticeable stiction and slow rebound. When I first took it on the trails near my house it worked decent on climbs but was slow to react on the downhill sections. I think I will be much happier with a fox air vannila.