Stratos Helix Pro Rear Shock

4.48/5 (33 Reviews)
Weight : 418g

The Helix Pro™ air/coil is back with "on-the-fly" lockout and unbelievably smooth damping performance. This infinitely adjustable shock absorber offers endless rebound and compression tuning options with the Air/Coiltm Helix system and is the only truly tunable progression coil-over shock in existence.

Other coil shocks rely on plastic bumpers to prevent bottom-out, and on falling rate suspension designs this leads to stiffer and stiffer spring rates in order to keep you from 'slamming the stops', as it were. Only the Helix Pro and Helix Expert can be infinitely tuned with air pressure for a truly progressive ramp-up of spring forces. This allows a softer, plusher spring rate and a more active over-all suspension system.

The Lock Out shuts off the compression cycle of the shock 99% - virtually a 'dead stop'. The 1% bleed-by is there to allow the shock to sag slowly to your normal riding position. No other 'lock-out' is this durable or complete - our patents are protected by nearly-rabid wolves (they're really okay, but they have a real attitude problem....)

Average weight in a 6.5" length is 418g.

Submitted by Brian Alexander a Downhiller from Buellton, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    STRATOS HELIX PRO DH (has piggyback), super plush, really simple adjustments, not nitrogen charged!!

Weaknesses:    brand new it is a little pricey, but I guess all top of the line shocks are

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock off some guy who was trying to put it on his crf50, haha. I sent it in to Stratos to get it rebuilt and stuff and recieved it a week later. (Stratos has awsome customer service by the way). When I got it it was like a brand new shock, it even had new stickers! I put it on my bike and couldn't wait to get out on the trail. It took awhile for me to get the air and everything adjusted right, but once I did, ohhhh it is so nice. This thing eats up anything you throw at it. If you have a chance to, buy this shock, it is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   snyder

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla rc

Bike Setup:   balfa 2step DH fully built

Submitted by Dean a Downhiller from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Strengths:    Smoothest shock I've ever used, great adjustability and lockout functions, easy to customize spring and air shock pressure using off-the-shelf Fox shock pump, increaced my Enduro Expert's rear travel from 5" to 6", great customer support at the factory, they even machined a special attachment to fit the H-bar gold linkage of my bike for free since the standard shock eye is a little too short!

Weaknesses:    price, but it's not that much more than any similar product so it's definately worth the money.

Bottom Line:
I don't abuse the hell out of my bike like a crazy downhiller would so I can't tell you how durable the shock is before it breaks, but I can tell you that after 2 years of urban assault riding, stair drops, tabletop wheelie drops, and a 10ft flat landing drop, I've never had a problem with any part of this shock. I just clean it periodically, lube it up when it needs it, and it always works great!

Favorite Trail:   UCSB

Purchased At:   Stratos of Santa Barbara

Similar Products Used:   3 different Fox hydraulic (all leaked over time) and 2 air sprung shocks (not smooth, kind of stiff), 5th Element

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert w/Stratos Helix Pro 6" travel, Marzocchi Z1 MCR 5", King headset, Easton carbon bars, Easton magnesium DH stem, 6" XT hydro disc brakes, XT cranks, Atomic Ballistic pedals, XTR derailleurs, XT rapidfire shifters, Raceface bashguard, RhynoLite/XT hubs w/2.3" WTB kevlar Werewolf front and Motoraptor 2.1" rear tires (40% lighter than Maxxis, 1/3 less expensive!)

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clarita

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    Quick response…good adjustments, smooth.

Weaknesses:    Broke after 2 months or weekend riding. Costly for repair, customer support is horrible. On top of this, I had to order a little hex bolt for the lockout on the shock, which cost $10 dollars for a little 1/8 bolt and they charged me $10 dollars for shipping. It came in USPS with a postal stamp of $0.39. NOT COOL TO OVER CHARGE SHIPPING OF MORE THAN $9.00.

Bottom Line:
For the price paid and from the amount of riding time it has seen, it has not been worth it in regards to reliability. However when shock was brand new out the box it worked like a dream. This shock did not hold up to well, which is very disappointing.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Springs

Purchased At:   ...forgot

Similar Products Used:   ...none

Bike Setup:   All custom picked parts…all sorts of goodies.

Submitted by psylo a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Ultra plush, looks cool, nice lock out feature.

Weaknesses:    Failed after a few months, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Bottom Line:
I really like the performance the Stratos gave my bike. I had the unit serviced and after a few months of XC use the lockout went south, as well as the dampning. Did I mention the poor customer service. I have never had such issues w/ a company. Tech support? whats that? Everytime I call I get a hold of this lady who says "hold on a sec. while I ask the tech" I asked to speak to the tech and was flat out told if everyone talked to the tech they would be out of bussines- they can't afford tech support??? So it's all about sending the shock back for a rebuild- no questions asked.. Gonna spend my money elsewhere.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Vacaville, CA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Works good when not broke

Weaknesses:    It's broke, and I cannot contact technical support.

Bottom Line:
I've been trying to contact technical support for some time. All I want to do is PAY THEM to rebuild my shock. The lockout and rebound on my shock are inop. Also, the bearings are so shot I can literally see the slop when I lift up the back of my bike. I've sent 3 e-mails over the past 6 months, and have called numerous times, but have yet to be contacted.

I get really sick of companies like this, what is so hard about putting all the rebuild information on your web site (price, shipping address, etc.)--use the technology! Here is a little hint: VOICEMAIL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will be buying a fifth element and throwing this shock in the trash. That means you’re out a rebuild, and I'm sure its not the first. Wake UP!

Submitted by blair miller a Cross Country Rider from vemontville, mich, usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    great ride quick response

Weaknesses:    warranty and the owners wife that runs things like every penny comes form her pocket with complete disregard for quality customer support

Bottom Line:
Go some place else for your hardware. the warranty does indeed suck. apologies from tech support aside, after all she does own the company they say, my shock is now broken after 2 years of use and i doubt i will be able to get them to repair it even at my own expense. that @!&*$@# is vindictive.

Favorite Trail:   northbranch, chicago

Purchased At:   cycle smithy

Similar Products Used:   all the other products that stratos makes as i worked my up via upgrades and expense to get one that works so i wouldn't just loose all my money. i was told by ms snotty owner that i ride to much and or to hard for them to provide me with warranty support. i wonder what "PRO" stands for in their variuos names.

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-11, race face crank and BB, easton bar and seat post, XTR derailers Deore speed shifts, Avid brakes, Judy hydro air front with air cores conversion, spinergy Cyclone wheels, Avocet cross country tires, Topeak beam rack and pack

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Calabasas California

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, supple, amazingly adjustable, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
Upgrading to the Pro changed the feel of the bike entirely and improved it tremendously. The lockout on a single pivot beam bike is very useful, although the shock is so adjustable that once dialed in it isn't needed that often.

As for service, after three years it started to "clunk" at the beginning of the stroke so I sent it back to Stratos for a rebuild and paid $75 plus $10 shipping. They said it would take 10 business days (two weeks), I had it back rebuilt and looking new in 1 week.

I don't know what happened to Mikkie, but I found the staff were friendly and responded well. I did have to leave a message on their voice mail, but I had a call back the same day.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Mtn Cycle AFTERSHOCK, Rock Shox,

Bike Setup:   Mtn Cycle San Andreas, Marz Z1 MCR, King headset, Azonic shorty stem and riser bar, Avid Disk and levers, Rolf Dolomite wheels, XTR front & rear derailleurs, Sram shifters, Avid Rollamajig, XT crank and BB, Speedplay frogs, Race face XO post, Specialized Bodygeometry kevlar/titanium seat, Kenda
Klimax Lite tires and Greenlite tubes.

Submitted by zack a Weekend Warrior from miami fl

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    very adjustable, seems bomb proof, well made. no air or oil leaks.

Weaknesses:    shock stacks up if you slow rebound down to much. hard to set up at first. shock will unscrew when you change the spring if you are not paying attention.

Bottom Line:
this shock gets a beating 5 days a week and so far has held up. customer service is good. in my opion it is the best shock for the money. i like the air and coil setup, seems to never bottom out. quality product

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   stratos

Similar Products Used:   rock shock, fox shock, both air and coil.

Bike Setup:   mountain cycle san andreas, white brothers triple clamp front fork. xt,xtr, 5 inches in rear 4 in front. 650ld spring with 250 psi in shock. i weigh 220 lds.

Submitted by Nate James a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    Great adjustability
Super Plush
Good Service

Weaknesses:    None that I have found

Bottom Line:
This shock has worker great since the moment I installed it on the frame!! I bought it used and had the boys at Stratos rebuild it for me -- it returned to me in about 2 weeks as good as new. I love the fine-tuning ability of the shock. The air/coil combination is the only way to go! Buy this shock!! My frame is not a mainstream one and the guys at Stratos were a great help in getting me the correct bushings to fit the frame!!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   DNM-ST12RC
DNM-other junk

Bike Setup:   2000 Viking Thor LS :), Rock Shox Psylo SL, XT Drivetrain, Raceface stem, bar, seatpost, Stratos Helix Pro Shock, Mavic 517's, Selle Italia Flite Gel Ti

Submitted by jaden nance a Downhiller from calgary ab canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    very good

Weaknesses:    cant get shock to damping slower

Bottom Line:
very good shocks but i cant fine tune the helxis pro to damping slower and what should the air presser be? i am 168 pounds.Thank you ...jaden nance. Oh i had my front shocks rebuilt in vancouver and the boys there did a great job!!! i was out in a hour!!! thankyou!

Favorite Trail:   downhills

Purchased At:   singal track

Similar Products Used:   romac

Bike Setup:   KHS dh 100 ....s8 on front and helxis pro on back

Submitted by Jake S a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Just about everything

Weaknesses:    Warranty guys up here in Canada sucks! they took over a month for a simple rebuild

Bottom Line:
This shock works great and is sooo adjustable

The guys that had problems with it prob didnt know you can change the spring since the air that goes inside is just mainly there to assist the spring or just got a bad shock

I had 2 different springs on my bike 4bar linkage 4" travel and it came with a 350 spring and then I went to a 500 pound spring and set the air at 140 and it worked great

Only giving it 4 for overall since the warranty dept up here sucks a$$

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox vanilla R

Submitted by Luke Brancheau a Downhiller from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustiblity, Good response to big and little bumps.

Weaknesses:    Has Blown up due to the ammount of air pressure required to properly support weight. Have had this shock repaired 3 times in the past 2 years.
Repairing it again would be an exercise in futility.
Would probably make an excellent cross country shock but no more than that.

Bottom Line:
Would not purchase this product with someone elses money for Downhill and not to sure for Cross country as the support of the product has been Average at best.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Downhill

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla and Manitou Bazooka.

Bike Setup:   Six inch rear travel set up firm as like to ride off the back of the bike and soak up the bumps with the front on high speed sections

Submitted by Decrypted a Downhiller from Southeast-U.S.A

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    Worked well for a while"this review is for the shock with resivior" Stratos Helix DH

Weaknesses:    Rebound pretty much blew

Bottom Line:
I spiked the rear end slightly on a slalom jump{Clemson}the first doubles- going like 10mph & jump was like maybe 12" high...& Then the rebound adjuster stopped working!.I just reverted back to a FREERIDE HARDTAIL-to avoid all those problems....the shock did feel killer for a while-this version can't take any jumps or drops at all!!

Favorite Trail:   Fontana"Turkey Shoot"

Purchased At:   came on ATX-1 DH