Romic Twin Tube Rear Shock

3.64/5 (67 Reviews)

Utilizing advanced features, as well as state-of-the-art computer controlled design and manufacturing, Romic's exclusive Twin Tube Damper leads the way, producing unmatched performance and tuneability for your MTB. Derived from Motorsports, Romic's Twin Tube Dampers combine massive performance as well as the best features of external reservoir dampers in a lightweight compact design. Reactor Valve Technology Developed for the rigors of off-road riding and racing, Romic's exclusive Reactor Valve offers unparallel and independent tuning of both bump forces and rider inputs. Why sacrifice pedal efficiency in order to have a plush ride when Romic's Reactor Valve allows you to have both. Will Increase Rear wheel travel up to 7.2 inches

Submitted by jey a Downhiller from france

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2010

Strengths:    coil spring, easy to adjust and live with, super plush and lively, reactor valve is the best platform i saw on a coil spring, made my bikes serious off road mtb, deal with anything you throw at it, amazing technology

Weaknesses:    depends on wich one you have, a good or a bad one.
on my first one the red click did work on the last turn of the click...after a service, it was still the same !!

on my second bike, the shock was faultless and i did bring my attention for the superior shock and it s potential , and made me realize that it s what a shox and how it track the way

Bottom Line:
it s the shox who made my bike riding and flying, the reactor valve is amzing for cruising and hectik in the gnarly stuff.
i never bottomed with it and instantanly my bikes came alive instead of only dealing with absorbing my ride.
i use the 3 in 1 silicone brand , it lubrify the main shaft and dials, it s like an air max with the punch of a hammer.
but get the good one, if you did, you know what type of technology you own.
if not, a good service should bring life to that.
get one !

specialized enduro 2004
and now devinci hectik 09 with dhx5

Submitted by OMNICELLL a Weekend Warrior from Wally World

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    DOes what its suppose to do.. Easy to use... Plush, adjustable.... Strong...

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I called Romic at get a rebuild.. 50$.. and 50$ for a new spring.. Their was no customer service problem..?

I could go out and buy a Fox .. But why.. the Romic works well at what it does.. and its transparent and easy to use.. Just put it on and go...

I see no reason to do anything other then get it rebuilt every year...

Im tired of bells and whistles in this industry... Just give me something solid , that is proven , and that works.. for get about the cream colored bikes and all the shimmery paint , and 400 dials in every direction... Im finding that I dont even use a lock out .. I just have bar ends and go.. The rest is up to me.. and that is what this romic shox is like.. independent common sense...

Favorite Trail:   South Fork

Purchased At:   ONLINE

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox/No-name

Bike Setup:   Giant AC.. Lx/XT Downhill rims.. Hope Hubs... Zok 2007 Rc2 Fork...

Submitted by Carvin from Laguna Niguel, CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    Action, adjustability, customer service.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shock, it works very well for more aggressive trail riding. The design is straight forward, performs very well, and is quite user friendly. Also, contrary to other reviewers, Romic provided me very responsive customer service. I sent it to Romic on a Monday ($45 for rebuild), they had it back to me rebuilt the following week. Great job Romic, thank you.

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP23, Maverick

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Salt w/5 in rocker

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great feel and control. Works as well or better as any coil shock I've either owned or demo'd. Reactor Valve limits (but not eliminates) pedal induced movement.

Weaknesses:    Customer service...that would actually require that Romic either answers their phone or returns messages and e-mails...they seem incapable of either

Bottom Line:
First off...I got the shock used for $89 from E-bay and it worked fairly good but made a loud "sucking" sound on big rebounds. I sent it to Romic for a rebuild and one month and $44 later it was returned. Since the rebuild, the shock has performed flawlessly. I really like the feel of this shock, it seems to suck up almost anything in its path. Coils are my favorite over air shocks (I'm a Clyde and rarely get full travel out of a air shock). I was also able to trade for the right weight coil with another MTBR user. So for $133, it has been and hopefully will continue to be a great shock.

Now the downside...I'm a former bicycle mechanic and warranty manager so I'm very experienced in working with companies on warranties and repairs. Some companies have been on the ball while others are less responsive. Romic falls into the "less responsive" category. If you don't plan on returning phone calls...don't have an answering machine. If you don't plan on responding to e-mails...don't have a e-mail address. It's not too much to expect a simple call back from a company letting you know when your shock will be ready...especially after 3 weeks of not hearing anything. Its called customer service, don't ever think your product is so good that you don't need to be good at it!

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RC, Fox Vanilla R w/pro-pedal

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis XLT

Submitted by mark from northants,uk

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    tough, looks good, options on crc,can handle big drops

Weaknesses:    commpresion adjustment

Bottom Line:
good tough shock but commpresion adjustment needs sorting out though.

Favorite Trail:   harlestone firs

Similar Products Used:   manitou metal

Bike Setup:   coyote dh3 2004 888`s ect

Submitted by Ed from Gainesville

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Strengths:    Unknown

Weaknesses:    Blew in less than 3 minutes, no customer service

Bottom Line:
Purchased a new Azonic Propulsion frame, built it & within 3 minutes of buzzing around the neighborhood (no jumps, hucks, etc) there was oil seeping from the top (blue) nob & the rebound adjustment was gone. Called Romic twice & never even got to speak to someone. After reading these reviews, I'm pretty sure I got a "bad one" & Romic has not been at all helpful. Replaced it with Fox & can now enjoy the bike. If anyone needs a 750lb spring...

Favorite Trail:   San Fo

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Rock Shox, Manitou

Bike Setup:   Azonic Propulsion, XT 752, Avid cable disc

Submitted by Angel Dust a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Super plush, striking red springs, adjustibility, bombproof construction

Weaknesses:    Zero customer support in my part of the world

Bottom Line:
The shock came stock on my Banshee frame and I really have nothing bad to say about them. Super plush and tons of adjustability. If you love your rear end plush, go for the Romics. You'd probably want to get a stiffer spring though 'cos I felt that the stock 450lb spring was a tad too soft. If you're searching for Romic replacement springs, do try chainreactioncycles.com. They stock 'em and best thing is that those guys are fast and reliable.

Bike Setup:   '05 Banshee Chaparral, '06 66 RC2X, Thomson seatpost & stem, WTB saddle, Crank Brothers 5050 pedals, Mavic 321 rims with WTB Moto Raptor tyres.

Submitted by Carl a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    Responsive like a Vanilla, pedals like an SPV

Weaknesses:    Blows out quickly even after factory service (I/m not talking big hucks, 3ft flatties at speed), compression adjuster lacks in ability

Bottom Line:
I shoot for lively and reliable, the best shocks I've ridden with these attributes are the DHX and the Swinger. If the Romics controls worked and didn't spew all over my swingarm maybe I would feel differently, maybe that's why it was a gift my homeboy couldn't sell it online.

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla, DHX, and Manitou Swinger

Bike Setup:   7" bullit, with z150, etc

Submitted by Bonkler a Cross Country Rider from Hurley Mountain NY

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    linear feel, tons of adjustibility, confidence inspiring, makes the bike feel bomb proof, holds well on climbs (little to no bobbing)

Weaknesses:    weight? The thing weighs a lot, but ummm... that's it.

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with this shock, bought it from the classifieds here on mtbr for 150 bucks, sent it to Romic soon to have it rebuilt. Not that it needed it, I just wanted to make certain everything was in working order. For their standard rebuild fee they gave me in addition(yes, as in for free) the right weight spring to replace the 900# behemoth it came with which I got to keep, fresh spacers and reducers, and a replacement of the oil and all seals in the shock. Its been one of the best purchases I've made for my bike in the last 4 years! This shock now makes all the weaknesses in my rear rim just that more pronounced since it ties the rear end of my bike together so well. As it stands now, I feel hardly anything from the rear of my bike when I'm rolling over roots, small rocks or holes in the ground. If you're considering one of these shocks, I've never had any trouble with it and would recommend it to someone looking for a bombproof shock made in the US.

Favorite Trail:   backyard selections

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla RC, float rlc

Bike Setup:   '02 Ellsworth Isis, RF cranks, stem, bars, salsa shaft seatpost, nonsense Sun DS2 XC rims that don't stay true laced to nonsense DT Onyx hubs

Submitted by toe a Weekend Warrior from burly, nc, usa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Strengths:    adjustibility. when set up right there's very little pedal bob, climbs well and plush on downs. this thing has gone without any maintenance for 2 years.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
i've read a lot of negative comments about romic's customer support and just don't believe it. my bike came with a 400x2.5 spring and i needed a 500. i tried to get the spring from a myriad of retailers over the span of a month and nada. so i called romic direct and had my spring in two days. i was so impressed with their customer support i'm in the process of having them build a shock just for my bike and riding style. after i have some ride time on the new shock, i'll send in the old one for some TLC.

Purchased At:   go-ride

Similar Products Used:   manitou swinger, fox float on XC setups

Bike Setup:   ventana el chamuco with a bunch of fun stuff on it.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from St.paul,MN

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to setup,super smooth,Keeps the rear wheel on the ground.Has never failed!!

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock used off ebay 2 years ago to replace my OEM Manitou QR air shock. I had no idea how old or what condition this shock was in when I bought it. It has been on my bike 2 years now and has never failed me. Never leaked oil, soaks up every bump on the trail and has been such an improvement over the shock that came with my bike.

Bottom line is, I love this shock!!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   '03 Ellsworth Isis,Manitou,Sram,RaceFace,Chris King,Hayes,Thomson,Mavic.

Submitted by Kev from Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    Leaps and bounds ahead of a DNM shock. Good, noticeable adjustments. The anti-bob system puts my Marz. 120 MX Comp ETA fork to shame (although, an awsome fork especially for the price)

Weaknesses:    The one I got came with the KHS FR 2000 03 frame I bought, so I'm a bit worried about the tolerance issues Romic was having around that time. Half a year and no problems yet, so maybe mine isn't defective (I hope)

Bottom Line:
I always wanted a shock that wouldn't be seen on a Walmart bike. The difference between the Romic and the DNM is unbelievable.

The price was right, since I only paid 350 for the frame AND the shock :)

I'm a little suprised that the 750lb spring is way too soft on the 6 inch setting of my frame. I know the shock isn't blown, so maybe the frame has a high leverage ratio (it's a 4 bar)

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   DNM shock- absolute crap. I had to crank the preload all the way up unless I wanted my bike to be a giant pogo stick.

Bike Setup:   KHS FR2000 frame, 4 piston XT discs, marz. fork

Submitted by Kyle a Racer from Big Bear ca

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Great shock, had it blow on me once. I had to leave a message to get a hold of me. But they called back with in the hour. Great customer service by Ryan in the Tech. Dept.

Weaknesses:    Having to leave a message. Is the only weakness that I have found.

Bottom Line:
Great product. Custumer care is great. I belive that Ryan is meeting a friend of mine tonight to help with his shock on his own time. It has blown once but it still rocks.

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHXucks

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirtbag, marazzochi for, sram, avid, and truvativ everthing else. Azonic wheels

Submitted by Pascal C. from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    Looks great. Low profile design. Works great when it is properly set up.

Weaknesses:    Customer service sucks. Romic takes a 2 hour lunch brake from 11 AM to 1PM. Nobody is there to take your call.

Bottom Line:
When I got the shock, it was bottoming out off a bunnyhop so I sent it to Romic. They charged me over $180 CAD to rebuild it and put in a new spring. When I got the shock back 3 weeks later, the old spring had not been replaced but they had billed me for it. I had to spend 2 hours phoning them before I could speak to a person.

They recognised that they had made a mistake and are now sending me a new spring.

Favorite Trail:   jumps, freeride

Bike Setup:   04 Ellsworth Joker 1.5 set up for freeride. It has 7 inches of travel.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Strengths:    Can't tell yet, customer service is preventing me from riding!

Weaknesses:    CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Bottom Line:
Romic needs to step back and ask themselves why are they doing what they are doing. How can you expect to earn loyal customers when you treat them this way? I ordered a new shock spring weeks ago...and still waiting. Inquired about getting new spacers for a loose lower eyelet (came loose on a new bike build...not good Romic) they said they would send me a set...WEEKS AGO! Go with Fox or Manitou and stay away from Romic. Who cares if the shock performs? The company needs to back it up!

Favorite Trail:   WV, NC

Purchased At:   Outdoor Adventures

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanillas, Manitou Swingers. These companies know how to do it.

Bike Setup:   Azonic Saber, Marzocchi Z1, XT, Avid Discs, etc...

Fair Price on a used Romic Twin Tube

I'm thinking about selling the 7.875 X 2.25 Romic with off of my ID, but i can't find anyone selling one used. Anyone got an estimate on a fair price on a lightly used, no leaks Romic Twin Tube? have 500 LB coil spring with it.Read More »

Romic Twin Tube Rear Shock Spring.

Hi all, I recently purchased a used Turner DHR (2005). Overall the bike is in great condition, but rear end feels a little under sprung. I would like to get a stiffer spring for it if possible. I am well aware that Romic no longer manufacturers shocks for bicycles. Anyone know of an ... Read More »

Seat tube plate for twin TT

Can anyone recommend a thickness for steel plate used as a brace/plate/platform for the Retrotec style twin toptube frames? Anyone know what he uses for this purpose? Do you think 0.032" is thick enough? I'll try asking Curtis if nobody knows. Photo stolen off the internets to show what I mean: ... Read More »

Pressurizing a Romic twin tube

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone out there has come up with a clever way to repressurize a Romic? The access screw is on the top cap and has to be flush because the bottom out bumper flattens out on top of it. I believe that there's no valve inside that access screw, just the ... Read More »

Romic Twin Tube weight?

Can anybody tell me what the weight is on the Romic 7.5 x 2.00" rear shock is? Its just for comparison purposses... thank you.Read More »