Romic Second Rear Shock

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Exclusive twin chamber internal reservoir design. External rebound damping and compression adjustment.

Submitted by Bikebrain a Weekend Warrior from Corona, CA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Strengths:    * Very Little Bob
* Great Action
* Range of rebound adjustments
* Build Quality
* Ease of set up

Weaknesses:    * None so far (Wish the spring was black?)

Bottom Line:
This shock takes the pedal bounce away, but remains compliant to the bumps. The rebound does not seem to fade on long downhills. This shock soaks up the big hits, and keeps the bike tires on the ground during high speed decents. I liked the helix pro a-lot, but I like not having to remember to set the manual lockout on climbs and then remeber to turn it off going down. I rode a friends bike with a curnutt shock which was a little better than the romic in pedaling. I've tried alot of shocks and the romic seems the best for the hardcore all around rider. Best rear shock I've owned.

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   RS Pro Deluxe, Stratos Helix DH, Helix Pro, Helix Expert

Bike Setup:   2002 AC1 pretty stock, a few upgrades..Blah Blah.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Hoboken, New Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Ability to limit pedal induced bobbing
bullet proof design

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I was about to drop $1600.00 on a more efficient frame until I read about Romic. I got the shock about 3 months ago and have been extremely pleased. I am now able to set up my frame with 4-1/2" of travel and still have very little pedal induced movement. great shock, actually saved me over $1200 bucks.

Purchased At:   Romic Direct

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla/float

Bike Setup:   Psycle Werks Wild Hare

Submitted by Bender Over a Downhiller from Trabuco Canyon, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Easily adjustable, super smooth stroke. Hard to bottom out.

Weaknesses:    The mounting Hardware was not sized exactly right. It was a tight fit on my Giant AC.

Bottom Line:
This shock blows Rockshox and Fox away. I've raced DH 3 times with it, and it is so smooth. I also do a lot of trail riding, and it has very little pedal bob. So far it has required no maintenance, and seems rock solid.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim, Moab

Purchased At:   Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Prodeluxe, Fox Vanilla RC

Bike Setup:   Giant AC with 03 Boxxer Race, Rhynolite Rims, Avid 8 inch mechanical brakes.

Submitted by Peter McCann a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Plush and efficient

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock to replace my Fox float and go from 4 to 6 " of rear travel. After a short dial in, I was amazed at the performance. At first I kept looking at my rear tire to see if it was half flat, because I could feel small bumps hardly at all. I also had far less bob that I did with an air shock with 2' less Travel. This increase in efficiency FAR outweighed the weight increase. I weigh over 190 with gear and pounded this thing for 1200 miles before it develed a slow fluid leak after a 35000 foot plane trip to San Diego, followed by some rough downhills. The shock had no noticable loss of performance, and worked perfectly the rest of the trip. Romic CS was great. This was an early shock, and they told me that they had made some improvements to fix the problem. Got the shock back as promised, with a full rebuild. The spring I ordered with the shock was a bit heavy, but Romic swapped it out for a lighter one that is perfect. Thaey will have titanium springs for these awesome shocks soon, and that will save some significant weight. Great product with CS to match. Worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Fox air and coil, Stratos air

Bike Setup:   Older Isis with extra mount for 7.5" shock (6" rear travel), Zokie Z1FR

Submitted by npeter a Downhiller from so cal

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    plush, pedals efficiently, no screwing around with air assists.

Weaknesses:    no piggyback reservoir

Bottom Line:
very cool shock. i got it at the factory; custom shimmed for my bike. amazing pedalling efficiency. with the compression 5 clicks out, i can ride up long hills for miles no problem, almost like my XC bike, and yet it's super plush on the downhill. for downhilling i sometimes go out 7 or 8 clicks. rides as well as the bullit / 5th element combination. i see a lot of Romics up at Big Bear, and everyone seems stoked w/ the reliability. enables a single pivot bike to really ride well. MUCH better than the FOX rc vanilla did. good price too.

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla rc, stratos, noleen coil, rock shox deluxe,

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini

Submitted by Dropman from PG

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    beefy, looks good, adjustable compresion

Weaknesses:    heavier than avg shock if u care about that which i dont.

Bottom Line:
i upgraded to this shock after snapping my old dnm ST12's shaft in half, all i wanted out of the romic was not to break ;) but it surprised me alot, it made a huge difference in the rear end of my bike this shock is very beefy, yet takes bumps very smooth, it feels great it showed me how truly crappy my old shock was ;)

Similar Products Used:   Vanilla R/RC, Noleen, DNM*cringe*

Bike Setup:   KHS Fetish etc blah blah

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Nashville,TN

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use

Weaknesses:    ??

Bottom Line:
The Romic is on my Elsworth and I ride everyweek. I do alot of little drops under 3'and love to ride fast.

I blew up the shock 7 miles into a ride and I am only 150 lbs..

I talked to Romic on Moday and overnighted the shock to them and had the shock back in 8 days..

They were very nice and fixed up the ole girl so now I can ride.. No complants.. thanks Romic!!

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Merrimack, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    easily tunable, excellent small and large hit response,tough

Weaknesses:    heavy, long warranty repair turnaround (small company)

Bottom Line:
This shock is an absolutely super plush awesome performer. The ISIS handles 100% better with this shock than Air Vanilla. Excellent durability, with a blowout after 5 months of heavy riding on 190lb rider. Repair turnaround time was 3 weeks total exactly, which includes overnight to Romic, 11 days in repair, one week ground shipping back.
With this shock, the ISIS single pivot performs better than my old FSR 4 bar linkage!

Favorite Trail:   steven.feeney@gte.net

Purchased At:   Came on Ellsworth

Similar Products Used:   Fox Air Vanilla, RockShox Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth ISIS, Manitou XVERT Super

Submitted by Blue Bomber a Downhiller from Pocono's PA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    great at high speeds, adjustablilty, plush

Bottom Line:
its a damn good shockfor the money its really beefy, don't think i have to worry about blowing this one up!!!

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox superdeluxe

Bike Setup:   Haro MX3 w/ Stratos MX6 doublewides hayes

Submitted by Scott from CO

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Very adjustable, no pedal bob, sucks up the big and small, very clean looking on the bike, and you'll ride faster than you ever have before.

Bottom Line:
Worry free, supper plush, super fast suspension. I would have a hard time believing there is a better rear shock on the market right now.

Purchased At:   speedgoat