RockShox Sid Rear 2003 Rear Shock

DAMPING: Hydraulic

SID Adjust: Rebound
SID Lockout: Compression & lockout
SID*: none
* Available only on a complete bike

SIZES:
6.5" X 1.5"
7.5" X 2.0"

Submitted by sil2222

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2013

Strengths:    durable,cheap, negative and positive air chamber mimics hard tail feel,easy to service.

Weaknesses:    no rebound adjust,no lockout

Bottom Line:
after thinking my new shock had developed a leak loss of psi i replaced the seal and found that it too appeared to be leaking but i found it was my error the negative chamber on this shock holds very little air so when you remove pump the amount of air that escapes is enough to bring your psi on neg side from 100 psi to 50 psi measure pressure again and i found that pump removal from the valve caused enough air loss to make it appear like shock was leaking but it was not. what i found was just removing pump will cause enough psi loss to make it appear as shock seal on neg side is leaking. to really test for a leak on neg side attach pump to neg side note psi and leave it until morning if psi is same no leak also try sitting on bike with pump attached. To really avoid so much loss in psi when filling neg side first remove air pressure from positive are chamber then fill your neg side to about 15 psi above where you want it then when you remove pump from valve the air loss will bring it down to about where you want psi to be. then refill your positive chamber.

Submitted by Small Wave Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Bragg, CA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    Light, and, when working, it has a great feel for XC riding on my older 3 inch travel FSR XC. There are complications....see below.

Weaknesses:    The original seal suck...especially for the negative chamber.

Bottom Line:
Rocky Mountain Cyclery somehow got a hold of a bunch of these and is selling them on ebay, now in 2011. For me it was a great and cheap way to keep my old XC bike working.

The down side is although they have not been used, the seals in the negative chamber are made out of some plastic that didn't hold up over time. Every one of them will fail, probably on first inflation.

However, there's a solution on ebay as well: A guy that calls himself ford_focus sells the seal kit for ten bucks - and these are rubber seals, not the weird plastic ones. I replaced mine. It's really easy, and now my bike feels better than new...much lighter than the original coil shock. The ford_focus guy will install the seals for 48 bucks including shipping.

Hope this helps someone that needs and old 3 inch travel shock.

Favorite Trail:   Manly Gulch

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Fox coil

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by steel_3d a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome adjustability (positive, negative air spring, rebound), no bob, super light.

Weaknesses:    Shock itself makes a bit of scratching noise but is smooth enough and the rebound range still works. After all these years I'm surprised there's oil still in it.

Bottom Line:
Negative side didn't hold pressure when I bought it. But I took it apart and cleaned everything, including the seal on the negative side, put it together with petroleum jelly (vaseline, since they call for oil soluble grease, but any grease should work) on the seal and o-rings, now holds pressure like a champ! Didn't even need a new seal. Don't be afraid to take it apart and clean it. It just twists apart by hand, you don't really need a special spanner wrench like the manual calls for. Here's a service giude: http://manualer.happymtb.org/rock%20shox/2003-2004%20sid%20rear%20service%20guide.pdf

Have fun!

Purchased At:   Came on used Giant N

Bike Setup:   01 NRS1

Submitted by Impaaked a Cross Country Rider from Vernon, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very responsive and supple

Weaknesses:    Ideal shock for lighter riders, I'm 160lbs. I've heard heavy rock crusher catagory riders complain. Negative chamber lasted 5 years before rebuild.

Bottom Line:
A very responsive and supple shock. Easy routine maintenance. Negative chamber gave up last year and I had the entire shock rebuilt for $67 (Canadian) including shipping from Kyle at The Broken Bike with a 1 week turnaround. Even came back with nice metal Schrader valve caps. Thanks Kyle.

Favorite Trail:   Kalamalka Lake Prov Park

Purchased At:   stock on Giant AC Ai

Similar Products Used:   Manitou swinger coil, Fox RP3, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant AC Air, XT

Submitted by EFMax a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    It's neat and stylish and it works. Easy to setup and forget.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found in over 6yrs of constant use with not a single service yet.

Bottom Line:
Can not really understand all of the issues below. Mine was brought new but at discount price and I have used it on two bikes. Setting up is easy I keep mine at 200psi (pos +) and between 210-190psi (neg-).

It holds pressure all year round and the only time I change it is when I check it each year and there is never more than a 10-15psi change over each 12months..

Bottom line, I am happy and even though there are newer shoxs out there, I have to ask myself why I would change as this one works fine.

If anything happens to it I would probably service it at PUSH and just put it back on again.

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest, UK

Bike Setup:   VPP F/S, used for trials and light free-riding.

Submitted by bikerted a Weekend Warrior from Kualapuu, Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Looks well built, Rock Shox brand name, came with bike frame.

Weaknesses:    I have had nothing but bad luck with this shock. I understand it is a great product once tuned, but nothing I was able to do seemed to work the way I wanted. Either to stiff, or pogo stick like. After about 6 months, the negative air spring would not hold pressure. I ended up getting the Fox float.

Bottom Line:
I really like the Fox Float. It is lighter, and has something called pro-peddle which seems to work really well against peddle induced bob, even when climbing out of the saddle. I am willing to bet that my Sid shock was a lemon. Rock Shox has a very good reputation, and is still one of the most popular brand out there. Since the Sid rear shock is not at retail model. I am not able to find a rebuild kit for it.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Garden

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Stratos Helix, MC After shock.

Bike Setup:   15 inch Mountain Cycle Slix, XTR, Easton carbon bars and post,SRAM 9.0 SL, ODI Lock ons, Gremecca System 8 disks, Race Face Next cranks, Fox Vanilla R fork, Fox float rear, Hutchinson Spyder lites 2.3 in., Slime, Avocet 02 Air 40 saddle, SRAM 951 chain, Cane Creek headset, Shimano XT/Mavic 223 disk wheels, 858 spds.

Submitted by ant a Cross Country Rider from ox uk

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    decent performance, first-time mother they used a high-quality full-suspension bike and going down a bumpy hill was like skiing.

Weaknesses:    it depends on how good your pump is. some pumps screw and unscrew from the valve and take ages and are fiddly, in which case you will take two seconds letting all the pressure out every time, it will be impossible to achieve more than 50 PSI...in my case the negative air valve was leaking when I bought it so I can try it out 30mins but I have to buy a new one.

Bottom Line:
I can only tell you about the performance which really impressed me but I purchased an old bike and I had to buy a new shock...you're never be able to get the exact pressure with this shock unless you have some kind of double vowels expensive pump, almost any pump you will ever find will only be within about 20 of your payment pressure.

Similar Products Used:   cheap coils

Bike Setup:   hydraulic disc gt

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Easton

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    low maintenance, light, plush, easy to setup

Weaknesses:    none. jsut user error trying to get the right air pressure. but then that isnt a product weakness. read one of the posts below about how to set up an air shock.

Bottom Line:
I got it rebuilt when I first bought it due to a 275lb rider blowing it out by dropping off stupidly high things. Since the rebuild in 04, its been a great shock. Holds air all thru the season and even during the offseason. I set it up once at the beginning of the season and can forget about it if I dont want to change the damping. Negative chamber holds too. Nice and light. No bob on climbs, technical or smooth, but I think thats more a result of the superior iDrive and not the shock so much. No problems with agressive xc use. I weigh 200lbs and ride hard.

Favorite Trail:   sals

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   bar, ario, float

Bike Setup:   gt idrive

Submitted by steve holcomb a Weekend Warrior from tampa, florida

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    This rockshox sid xc rear came with the purchase of a litespeed tasli. The purchase/delivery date was Mar. 2002.
It has held up very well, but I might add, I only do city riding and never go off road.

Weaknesses:    So, the rear shock is now 5 yrs old. About two weeks ago
The negative air champer started loosing pressure. I checked the pressure, there was none. I pumped in 160 psi and checked it again the next morning, zero pressure. I then checked the valve, it was loose, I tightened it. Now it will still loose pressure: from 140 to about 90 psi in one week...........so most of the pressure was being lost via the value, but there must be a leak in the seal also.
The positive chamber still holds air very very well.

Bottom Line:
I have heard so many negative things on this site about the rockshox sid xc rear. This shock has held up very well for me. But again, I don't go off road and only ride the city streets of tampa, florida. So, I really have never put this shock to a "real" test.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   litespeed tsali/xtr/easton bar,stem, seat tube/chris king hubs/mavic517 rims.

Submitted by Suva Crew a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette,CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    It's lite weight...easy to set-up and responsive, no need for a lock out on the right frame.

Weaknesses:    Negative side leaks

Bottom Line:
Not a fan of Rock Shox Cust Service...negative side started to leak early on and Cst Svc...said I needed to service it!!! Total BS. I have used an AD10 for 4 plus years with no service other than a wipe down.

Favorite Trail:   Burma on Mt diablo

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   AD Cane Creeks...the 10 was and is still the best

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1 XT, Duke XC, Avid BB7s, X717 wheels

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, reliable, adjustable negative spring

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox's reputation (in 2003)

Bottom Line:
I used this shock for two years on two Hollowpoint models with absolutely no issues. I love the adjustable negative air spring. I could set up this shock plus by having equal pressure in the positive and negative chambers. Or I could set up a "platform" by putting less pressure in the negative chamber. I think Rock Shox's reputation (at least in 2003) is what has given this shock its low rating. In my opinion, this is a superior shock to the Fox Float R

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R

Bike Setup:   2002 Iron Horse Hollowpoint (broke), 2003 Hollowpoint Team

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Clarkston, MI. USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Strengths:    Hasn't completely failed..yet!

Weaknesses:    Won't hold air. Rebound ajustment is either too fast or too slow with only one "click" between the extremes.

Bottom Line:
Not impressed at all. Ever since day one I fill both chambers to 200psi and within 24-48 hours the negative chamber drops to 50psi. It never drops below 50psi but also never holds 200psi for more than 24-48 hours (even when not ridden). Also the ride feel even though the bike bobs during climbs (could be suspension design?). And in the past few months it has developed a problem where I can push down on the seat with one hand and cause the shock to compress about 1/4" with very little pressure. I'm ready to change to something else. Heck my original Fox Alps-4 on my old semi-retired TREK Y-33 still works better than this thing!

Similar Products Used:   Fox Alps-4, Fox Float RL, Cane Creek AD5.

Bike Setup:   2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Strengths:    Worked great in the begining.

Weaknesses:    Lost pressure on long rides, and now won't hold any pressure making the rear a pogo stick.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, the shock needs an upgrade. I thought about rebuilding it, but don't think it's worth the hassle.

Favorite Trail:   Hodges dam

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS.

Submitted by Ryan from Ft Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    adjustability, strength, lightweight, reliable

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shock, and if someone says otherwise, it's because they aren't using it right. It's a low maintenance, high performance racing shock that ISN"T MEANT TO TAKE BIG DROPS AND JUMPS. I ride aggressive XC, and I'm no lightweight. It has held up to everything I've thrown at it.

Purchased At:   came w my frame

Similar Products Used:   fox float

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain carve, XT/XTR w a 2003 psylo race up front

Submitted by brian cates a Cross Country Rider from Greensboring

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    when it works, it is plush

Weaknesses:    wears out quickly. Neg air chamber wont hold pressure, making the rear wheel a pogo stick.

Bottom Line:
it was nice when it worked. Rockshox does not offer any service manuals on line, so fixing this thing is sketchy. the do not like to deal directly with customers.

Favorite Trail:   primrose, ALASKA