RockShox Pro Deluxe Rear 2003 Rear Shock

DAMPING: Hydraulic
Adj: Rebound and low compression

Submitted by Bryan a Downhiller from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    Reliable, easy to set up, plush, coil adjust lets you climb, loosen it up to descend, mine has gone without a service for over 2 year as far as I know

Weaknesses:    My rebound knob has gone missing, but can still make adjustments with a flathead, other than that nothing!!

Bottom Line:
Tough, plush, predictable shock. Have done 5 foot hucks to flat, tail first jump landings and steamed through roots with no troubles (have even jumped with the spring coiled all the way up!). This shock just refuses to stop working and still gives a nice plush ride.

The other people who are complaining about this shock must be doing something incredibly stupid to mess their shocks up.

If I had to upgrade I'd get a new FOX DHX (this shock is nearing 6 years old), but until it dies I'm happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill Trails

Similar Products Used:   Had a 2 minute ride on a FOX DHX 4.0.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC, RockShox ProDeluxe shock, Boxxer Ride forks, Full Deore components.

Submitted by Tommy a Downhiller from Bulgaria

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great shock!!!

Submitted by Wowie a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    Plush when it doesn't leak oil

Weaknesses:    leaks oil all over the place. Dificult to maintain on your own.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy this product even if it's half the price of a Swinger or Fox DHX. Got it stock when i bought the frame. I sat on my bike on a flat, paved surface. When I looked down, there was oil everywhere. The Bike hasn't been raced and the largest drop it ever encountered was less than 3 feet. This was supposed to be a shock for downhill racing.

I don't understand why rock shox didn't put a Schraeder Valve on the reservoir (to add pressure).

Similar Products Used:   Manitou swinger 4 way

Bike Setup:   giant dh team 2002, junior T

Submitted by antony aiken a Downhiller from grimsby

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2005

Strengths:    adjustability, plushness, price, looks, travel, capability, build, name.........etc

Weaknesses:    it squeeks when on full dampening, and its black, should have red spring, but, yeah its great

Bottom Line:
i love this shock, i love the nobs, i love the looks, i love my bike.....lol

Favorite Trail:   Fort william

Purchased At:   with Giant 02 DH comp

Bike Setup:   02 Giant DH comp, 18", 03 junior T's, 95 Hope biguns with 205mm disks and hope M4 brakes, shimano XTR gearsets, Azonic World force bars, ODI grips, mavic 321 disk rims, DT swiss spokes,DMR jump seat, Shorty stem, 3.0 gazzaloddi rear, 2.5 gazza front, EBC restuff pads allround.

Submitted by Mike Oliver a Downhiller from Old Lyme, CT

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2004

Strengths:    Great rear shock, came on my 02 Giant dh team, it has aloty of adjustability, when the rebound and dampening are maked out the shock is nearly locked out w/ vertyally no pedal bob
I have done dozens of 5-10 ft drops w/ this shock no problems to date

Bottom Line:
great product
lots of adjustability
worthy of dh/fr
i dont understand why the first 5 or so reviews were so bad, then the latest reviews were excelent?
i reccomend this product!

Similar Products Used:   romic, fox

Bike Setup:   02 Giant gh team, 03 jr t, hayes hydros, truvativ cranks xt rear der, pro deluxe/romic rear shock

Submitted by Joker a Cross Country Rider from Peedlewee

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2004

Strengths:    Moves my big fat ass around very smoothly

Weaknesses:    Nope

Bottom Line:
Never exploded, took all bumps, never leaked oil, never squealed. The greatest rear shock I ever had - before, it was my ass that had to absorb everything.

The lamers who tried to put this rear shock down are brainless morons, probably marketing goofs from Rock Shox competitors.

Similar Products Used:   Nope

Bike Setup:   I'm too shy to describe

Submitted by Josh OWL a Weekend Warrior from MT,BC

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Tough adjustable can handle abuse. 2002 model

Weaknesses:    None for the duration of my ownership

Bottom Line:
I currently bought a 03 AC and I will be putting the swinger to the test. I do believe people are swayed to much by what advertiseing tells them. This shock was amazing and I know downhillers that race it.

Similar Products Used:   Fox RC

Bike Setup:   Giant AC MarzocchiZ1 130mm

Submitted by Len a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Works like it should.
Damping adjustments work great and actually make a big difference from one end of the range to the other.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've seen Rockshox get a bit of flack for this product, but mine has been 100% reliable and works great so far, and the Rockshox Deluxe-R on my old Brodie dually was a realiable product as well. I'll admit I'm not an "extreme freerider", but my Giant gets lots of use and has seen plenty of smaller jumps and drops. My shock came with a 500lb spring which was too soft for the bike (I'm 165lbs) so I had to switch to a 600lb coil. Note: I'm careful to keep it clean and apply a drop of oil to the shock shaft every now and then.

Purchased At:   came with new frame

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Deluxe-R (their cheaper oem coil shock)

Bike Setup:   Giant AC with Z1 Dropoff QR-20 fork

Submitted by Wolfgang a Weekend Warrior from Hamburg

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    Plush, plus, and plush

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
In contrast to what others are writing about this rear shock, I didn't have any problems with it so far. It simply works, and has improved my biking experience tremendously after upgrading from the Rock Shocks Deluxe Adjust which came on my bike.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shocks Deluxe Adjust

Submitted by Joe H. a Cross Country Rider from Buckley, Wa usa

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Good damper. I like it so far. No problems with mine. Came with Weyless 67 frame.

Weaknesses:    Looks like it has issues like alot of other Rock Shox susp products. See reviews and make up your own minds. I would be pissed too if it blew on me!

Bottom Line:
Mine keeps on working. Been 7 months of riding. Do down hill and heavy xc cause I'm a heavy dude. Haven't done any drops worth mention. As long as it keeps working I can't fault it. I dampen mine quite a bit and have no problems with pedal bob...unless I stand up and hammer which I do regularly and love the locomotion. I got a great set up so no complaints here. Those Sydney people are a little freaky. I think they ride with out seats? Sphincter says what? Weyless man!

Favorite Trail:   Below Her navel.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Just forks.

Bike Setup:   Weyless 67. Killer bike!

Submitted by casandra a Cross Country Rider from sydney

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    i smell

Weaknesses:    well u see it just exploded one day. I was sitting on it and it made a pop noise and just disapeared. Oh damn!

Bottom Line:
oh yeah. Just wicked. I cant remove it after 12 sepearate operations envolving 'special' surgeons. Where is it?

Similar Products Used:   oh ive done them all

Bike Setup:   cant find it

Submitted by Max a Downhiller from sydney

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Rox shox dont know the meaning of "strength"

Weaknesses:    everything.

Bottom Line:
I had just my 9metre gap when i heard a squelching then pop!
the f*#king shock exploded.When i came out of hospital 3 weeks later i burt the little f**k.

Similar Products Used:   5th element,fox vanilla,all rox shox...etc...

Submitted by cassie a Downhiller from sydney

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    no.

Weaknesses:    its absolute rubish!The infernal piece of cheap metal exploded when i did the 55 foot jaw drop.should be built to take real riding.Rockshox should be burnt. bunch of freckle punchers

Bottom Line:
darned heap of junk.Mine will be burnt in a ritual burning ceremony very soon

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   karpiel armagedon

Submitted by jonathan a Downhiller from sydney

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    haha...you must be joking!This is a rock shocks product!

Weaknesses:    Everything.First oil started pouring out of the rebound adjuster and then after geting it fixed under warante it started to make some strange noises like it had air in itand now it makes strange banging noises in the first part of the stroke as well as the shaft moving sideways in the cylinder!!

Bottom Line:
its junk!

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   fox rc.

Bike Setup:   giant AC1

Submitted by Stuart McLaren a Downhiller from Angus, Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    I can adjust it with ease and it works well with the rear sus design. Main body is lite and should get lighter if i fit a ti spring. Only bottomed out twice since I got it, which includes 15 - 20 feet drops onto trans, 30 foot doubles and some rough rooted riding. thats it really, great if u'r a smooth rider and knows how to handle a full sus, a skill learned in hardtails i believe.

Weaknesses:    Makes a slurping noise. Spring is a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
It all depends on what you have it fitted to I think, works without a glitch on a Giant DH, I've said it now!! Probably not a shock for extreme freeriding or big hairy drops, but thats only a guess. Can't comment on the retail price as it came fitted but all biking gear should be lots cheaper because lets face it not matter where u come from and how u ride something will break at the least wanted moment.

Happy riding world

Favorite Trail:   Fortwilliam DH track

Similar Products Used:   5th element, on an ellesworth dare, nice.

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant DH with DC Shivers.