RockShox Monarch R Rear Shock

• Shaft Material: 7075 Aluminum
  • Shaft Diameter: 9mm

Submitted by LMSJ

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Strengths:    At proper inflation, My RockShox Monarch R High Volume shock does its job very well.

Weaknesses:    Leaks...

Bottom Line:
After 10 rides or so, it became clear that my shock was leaking. The dealer rebuilt it. It leaked again. Then, it failed completely at near freezing temperature last november. The dealer replaced it out his stock. The new shock works well enough, but, once again it leaks air. I am now sure that the problem is with the valve itself as I can hear air leaking out when I remove the cap. I have no choice but to carry a pump on day long rides.

Submitted by ehigh a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    It's a great shock when it is working properly!

Weaknesses:    I have had the shock sent in twice in the year that I've owned it. I took a month each time for it to come back to me and each time they replaced the seals and said nothing was wrong with it. It continues to leak to this day! Finally, they are replacing it altogether after speaking with some sort of manager...

Bottom Line:
It's really nothing to boast about, but I have had a lot of experience with customer support services over the years with many different companies in many different fields of consumer products. Out of all the experiences that I have had, Sram has been one of the least receptive companies. Their unwillingness to help reflects a truculent attitude towards their customers. It feels like, "buy our stuff, and get the hell out"

I will never buy another product from RS so long as I ride.