RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir Rear Shock

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The connection between your bike and the terrain will be seamless, as your DebonAir equipped shock absorbs every little hit without any harsh feeling on your body. A shock so soft, you can push way harder.

Submitted by Live_In_Vivid a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2017

Strengths:    Works like a shock should... before it breaks.

Weaknesses:    It breaks often

Bottom Line:
Well... It would appear that I am in the same boat as MotoBoogieMan who left the last review... I got myself a brand new fancy Bronson and absolutely love the thing. Bummer part is I can't ride it. Stared at my bike in my living room with a fancy piece of PVC pipe installed where the Monarch should have been for a month while I was waiting on a replacement. It broke after only 2 months of riding. I live in Durango and the vast majority of the riding I do is on smooth single track with some high country riding on the weekends. I ride hard, but not irresponsibly or destructively.

Fortunately, they did replace it for me. Good on ya for that. Bummer part is, the damn thing is failing again, however this time it lasted about half the time. I can't pay all that good money I didn't have in the first place to stare at a bike in my living room. Back to the bike shop I go tomorrow to see what the cause is this time and what it will cost me to get back on Fox, which I never should have strayed from and taken a chance on Rock Shox in the first place.

Favorite Trail:   Local Trails

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Fox DHX Air, Fox DHX

Bike Setup:   Bronson... fully loaded... no rear shock.

Submitted by MotoBoogieMan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2017

Strengths:    Creamy when it's not broken.

Weaknesses:    Not durable. No lockout. Poor ergonomics on adjustment lever.

Bottom Line:
Go with Fox. I had the Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair on my brand new Santa Cruz Bronson for all of seven months during which time it failed twice and is now in the trash can in my garage. Rockshox refused to cover it under warranty because my LBS had to crack it open upon the first failure to reassemble the internals which had unthreaded. Oh, and the latest Bronsons have gone back to Fox shocks after a short six month stint with Rockshox. I had ridden Fox for 11 years with zero issues -- same trails, same riding style -- had wanted a Fox for the Bronson but it was not an option. So, I'm ordering a new Fox.

Functionally, the shock feels good when it's not broken. Supple over rocks, well behaved when landing a several foot launch or ramp. On the bad side, the shock does not have a true "lockout" settings like Fox's and the "firm" setting does not feel firm enough IMHO. Further, the rebound lever (big blue lever that adjusts between soft, medium, firm) can be difficult to set while in the heat of battle. It is difficult to tell visually, or by feel, which setting the lever is in so you have to flip to one extreme then back off to where you want. I am also pretty sure the lever sometimes jumps towards the soft setting on it's own during rough riding -- in the direction of the spring loading. Also, there is no handle remote available.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float CTD, RP23.

Bike Setup:   2017 Santa Cruz Bronson CC loaded.

Submitted by Louisignau a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2016

Strengths:    It seems good, until it breaks every year

Weaknesses:    I bought the trek slash 8, it came with the monarch plus rc3 and it has broken twice Within the last 2 years.

Bottom Line:
This plastic piece of trash sucks, and if you actually ride your mountain bike like a mountain ??. It's going to BREAK!

Submitted by Shredmonkey a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2016

Strengths:    Great platform for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Set up is a pain. Not really "plush".

Bottom Line:
I will start off by saying that performance wise, the cane creek db inline(stock on my enduro) is a much better shock giving a super plush bottomless feel with no harsh rebound and soaked up all small trail chatter. Unfortunately though it had some major reliability issues and after failing twice I wanted to try something different.
There is no set up instructions and your air pressure will vary widely depending on your bike design and riding style. Also, you are supposed to cycle the shock as you are filling it so to balance out the pos and neg air springs. I weigh around 175lb and to achieve %30 sag I'm pushing 240-250 psi. At this pressure the shock is overly stiff and the rear tire bounces off all the small bumps. On the plus side pedal bob is all but gone when climbing. At 230-240 psi it gets a little better but then I found myself at %40 sag, pedal striking, and bottoming out easily.
Either way I would not discribe the compression as linear or plush. It ramps up fairly quickly and rebounds with force. This shock might be the thing if your local trails are mostly smooth with large drops and jumps.

Similar Products Used:   Fox rp23, ccdb inline.

Bike Setup:   2015 enduro 650b.

Submitted by mjlundy

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2014

Strengths:    I put this on a 2013 Enduro. Most of my riding is up for miles, then down and I wanted a better platform than the stock CCDB Air. It delivers on the climbs for sure. Great pedaling platform was looking for on the ascents. BUT, it is not the CCDB on the descents. It feels better than any other air shock I've tried, with the exception of the CCDB. But for me, it's a great compromise.

It's also very light as compared to the CCBD Air.

Weaknesses:    Only three settings for compression damping. Still, the Firm setting is great... 6.5 inches of travel with little suspension bob on the climbs. The mid is ok, and the fully open for the down hills is not as composed as the CCDB Air. Ramps up a little harsh and comes back a little harsh, but my point of reference is the CCBD Air.

Bottom Line:
If you ride up up up, then down; it's a great shock. If you are coming from anything other than the CCDB Air, it's an all-around upgrade. I will be throwing on the CCDB for park use, but otherwise this shock will remain on the bike.