RockShox Monarch 4.2 Rear Shock

• Spring Adjust: Air pressure via single Schrader Valve
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Submitted by amirn3

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    the shock dos'nt works good, i tried to put more air pressure\ less air pressure and i never got it to work good, i dont like it, it is not smooth or plusshy' or it dosent works or it go all the way down from jumping a 4 Staircase (just an example)

Bottom Line:
dont buy it, or pugrade it at the moment of buying

Submitted by Daemongrad a Weekend Warrior from BROCKVILLE

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, plush, super adjustable, pretty.... I got the version with slime green stickers.

Weaknesses:    rebound control is hard to reach?!?! (fat fingers perhaps)

Bottom Line:
buy it and love it!

Favorite Trail:   B & D/ Nortel

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   x-fusion something... on specialized xc/fsr testbike

Bike Setup:   Totally custom coiler

Submitted by Stacey a Weekend Warrior from Hinton, Alberta

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Weaknesses:    swivel valve sheared off on 1st ride!!

Bottom Line:
Not impressed with a design concept that would allow the valve to shear off if it opens. It was my first ride on my new longingly anticipated bike. I never realized that it could shear off but after talking to other people with the same shock it seems to be a problem. Why design a part that has this potential?! Waste! I would look at other shocks before purchasing another one of these!

Favorite Trail:   FlowMaster

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   2010 Cannondale Moto

Submitted by mogligirl a Weekend Warrior from spanish fork, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    Great price; sag gradient; 4.2 allows you to set the threshhold; great shock all around

Weaknesses:    worked great for me--no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
So, we're all in search of the perfect shock. I don't like the new rp23 shocks (w/ boostvalve) b/c I never feel like I get a firm, firm platform. Not that I use a firm platform all the time, but I want the option of it being there if I want it. The Monarch 4.2 gave me the firmness I've been looking for. I thought it used its stroke great. Maybe blew through its midstroke a bit, but the Mojo has a reputation for doing that, so it could be the bike design. I don't see any advantage of going w/ an rp23 w/ boostvalve. I've gone through several of those and I haven't been satisfied or impressed.

I realize there are several low ratings for the monarch on here, but I have to report my experience w/ it unbiasedly.

Favorite Trail:   benny creek or stumpjumper

Similar Products Used:   rp23

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo w/ an aggressive build

Submitted by spirov92 a Weekend Warrior from Sofia, Bulgaria

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Strengths:    everything works great, removes pedal bob

Weaknesses:    air leak at the valve

Bottom Line:
So far it's been really good. The rebound and floodgate work great, I get very little pedal bob. The famous air leak at the swiveling valve is fixed by tightening the screw that holds the swivel valve to the body. On the older ones that's done with a 7mm spanner.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   it's my first air shock

Bike Setup:   Ram allmtn.-sram drivetrain, juicy 3's, Tora 289

Submitted by Gson a Downhiller from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Its light i suppose

Weaknesses:    Just an extreemly average feeling shock. Kind of sticks in its sag point which gives a harsh feeling over smaller hits. Bigger hits blow through and bottom out the shock. Flood gate and lock out is next to useless. I cant tell any difference between the lock and unlock position.

Bottom Line:
Its a shame such a wicked bike (attack trail) comes with such an average feeling shock. I fitted a Rocco Air TST R to it and it made a huge difference.

Purchased At:   riders (came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Products owned...Fox DHX 5,3,4, Marzocchi Rocco Air TST R, Manitou Swinger 4 way. Fox RP23.

Bike Setup:   Marin Attack trail 6.8 2010

Submitted by Ithnu a Racer from Denver

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Takes more FR type riding well.

Weaknesses:    The flood gate does nearly nothing. Its more like a very bad LSC, definitely not a lock out despite there being a picture of a lock on the dial...

My old DHX Air with pro-pedal has a more effective pedaling platform than the Monarch lockout and that is a FR/DH shock.

Bottom Line:
I'm replacing it with a 2010 Float RP23. This thing doesn't work at all like its claimed. It does the FR side of all mountain all right though. If you plan to do any moderate to serious climbing you don't want this shock.

Favorite Trail:   None specific.

Purchased At:   SRAM

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Fox DHX Air

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 6.1

Submitted by skihausvt a Downhiller from vermont, usa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    LIGHT, smooth, havn't had to service it in over a season of riding.

Weaknesses:    None so far im gonna have to disagree with all of the bad reviews on this shock.

Bottom Line:
A solid rear shock, A fox dhx or something similar would most likely be a better freeride shock but there not as light.

Purchased At:   The skihaus of VT

Similar Products Used:   first rear shock.

Bike Setup:   transition double,lowered revelation,hadley hubs on sun ringle rims,sunline bars,headset,and stem.

Submitted by ibeamcarver a Weekend Warrior from Pacifica, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, absorbs big hits and small bumps, gate setting works great for climbing

Weaknesses:    leaks air. Rockshox sent this as a replacement for the Pearl 3.3 which came on the bike new. Pearl 3.3 leaked air, Monarch leaks air. I wouldn't buy another Rockshox rear shock. I've had better luck with their forks, although not using one now.

Bottom Line:
Get Fox instead

Bike Setup:   Haro Xeon S

Submitted by JAY6969 a Racer from Albuquerque,NM-USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Really plush ride.Easily adjustable.Reliable.Light.

Weaknesses:    Seems to like to purge out the hydrolic fluids about once a year.There is a screw that comes loose in the inner chamber that once loosened, purges all the fluids and renders the shock broken down and useless.Also the air can likes to unthread itself once in about 20 miles so you really have to watch for the gap becoming larger.If you miss this the can will unthread itself and purge out all the air pressure.Depending on where you're riding this can be a fatal problem.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is an incredibly light and (for the most part) is a really reliable rear shock.Easy to maintain and super easy to adjust and keep in that adjustment.The only thing that I hate about this shock is that the manual that comes with the shock lacks the proper information regarding preventative maintenance for this particular shock's weaknesses.The outer can o ring that seals in the air pressure pops out and purges the air in an instant if the can unthreads itself.I've had this happen a number of times and I learned on my own as to what to watch for.

Favorite Trail:   4 Hills

Purchased At:   ABC

Similar Products Used:   Monarch 3.2--Same problems with inner chamber.

Bike Setup:   All mountain Diamond Back Coil EX Custom.

Submitted by wvcheeze a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Shock loses air after every ride and is getting worse.

Bottom Line:
POS

Favorite Trail:   Dinosaur Path

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float RP23

Submitted by avbcon12 a Weekend Warrior from Philly, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Strengths:    MUCH better than the original Monarch 3.1 that came on my frame. The 3.1 must have been an early model because it had the old air swivel and leaked, I got this 4.2 in return for warranty work.

The 4.2 doesnt leak air and is easier to tune to your individual use/ style. The "gate" valve actually seems to work on this one where it didnt seem to do anything for the 3.1. The lockout lever is really nice and quick to access.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
If I had to buy a new shock, this would be in the running but there are others out there that would probably catch my eye and be favored over the 4.2. Great shock overall.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Monarch 3.1

Bike Setup:   6" Travel AM bike

Submitted by CKwik240 a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Seems to work great. Much better than the BAR 2.1 that came with the bike.

Weaknesses:    Had a couple minor repairs that were needed out of the box. The swivel valve bolt was loose causing air to leak past the o-ring when the swivel was all the way up. Fix was easy with a 6mm wrench. The air valve was also installed too far. Initially I thought the shock was holding air as disconnecting the shock pump and reconnecting it would not cause the shock pump's guage to equalize. Pumping it up would require me to actually pump it to a higher pressure in the pump forcing air past the valve using a pressure differential. Did some quick measurements and comparisons to the old shock and the needle in the vlave was way too far in to be depressed by the shock pump. I decided to replace the valve (valves and tools are available at an autoparts store) and located the valve close to where it was on the old shock (relative to the top of the nozzle). Works perfectly with no leaks.

Bottom Line:
While the installation of hardware on the shock was not done correctly at the factory, the repairs were minor. Though, this kind of issue should not exist (and should be relatively easy to remedy along the assmbly line) it wasn't a fault with the shock design.

As for the performance, it feels much smoother and plusher than the BAR 2.1. I'd reckon that's not saying much though. The rebound adjustment seems to have very small effects. Its there, but each increment (detent) only made minor differences. From the minimum to max setting, the differences were not significant. However, I did find a setting that works for me, so its not really a complaint for me. Frankly, the wide range in the BAR 2.1 was unnecessary as either end of the range of adjustment on that shock was unusable anyways.

Lastly, the Gate function doesn't seem to have a significant increase in stiffness. It is slightly stiffer, but it still feels very plush with it on (I have it at the stiffest setting). Not that I need it much as the iDrive does not suffer from much pedal feedback anyways.

The only mark off I'm giving is for the assembly issues. As other potential problems don't really apply to me, I'm not marking them off as I can not experience the drawbacks on my set-up.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA