RockShox Monarch 3.1 Rear Shock

• Spring Adjust: Air pressure via single Schrader Valve
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Submitted by jhazard a Downhiller from Bayfield Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    Light?

Weaknesses:    Air valve degrades with use. Every time I've put air in it, it leaks out faster. Serious design flaw.

Bottom Line:
Aired this shock up to 190 (my current weight). Rode for 1 hour, lost 100 psi. Aired it up again, rode 1 hr, lost 150 psi. Aired up again, rode 20 minutes, lost 170 psi. Aired up again, would not hold air as it all leaks out the valve where it swivels. Stay away from this shock. I'm moving to a coil assisted shock now.

Rated lowest because well, its not value if it does not work. After four rides, this shock is a complete failure. I don't want SRAM to fix it, I don't trust the product at this point.

Favorite Trail:   Anything gravity fed

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Closest product would be a Marz Rocco TST.

Bike Setup:   K2 Attack 2.0 - Manitou Stance flow 150mm, deore dual controld levers, xt front dr, deore rear, fire x cranks, i fly ibeam seat, deity stem, race face ride bars, velocity blunt wheels, wtb 2.5 tires.

Submitted by Susan Dallam a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs, co

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    great product when it works

Weaknesses:    leaks like crazy, difficulty getting satisfactory warranty service

Bottom Line:
If you can get this shock to work, it's great. 6 months after I purchased the bike, the shock bottomed out completely. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was. When I finally got a clue, SRAM sent replacement parts but would not replace the whole shock. Before I even got out of the driveway, the shock bottomed out again. This time SRAM refurbished it. 15 minutes into the first technical ride, the valve stem snapped completely off. I'm 5'8, 140 and an amature rider. SRAM, this is your last chance to make it right.

Favorite Trail:   palmer, the canyon

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox on a 92 stumpy

Bike Setup:   motobecane phantom pro

Submitted by jumper780 a Cross Country Rider from Harker Heights, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    -Great damping
-Supple yet doesn't bob like my old MC3
-Like the sag measurements on the arm

Weaknesses:    -Air leaks
-Bad valve
-Air leaks

Bottom Line:
Look, I have had this shock for approx 6 weeks. After the first week I noticed that it was leaking air. Called RS and they told me to bring it in to my LBS so that the valve assembly could be replaced. Got it a week later. Had a race today and what happens....my shock started to bottom out (basically lost 60psi!) around halfway through the race. After the race I approached the SRAM tent and told them what happened. Some tech just tried to tighten the air valve assembly and said to call SRAM. He said I might have to have it rebuilt. OMG, after 6 weeks. I am giving SRAM one more shot to get this right. If not, then I will take the loss and switch to Fox or a Cloud 9.
C'MON SRAM lets get this right.

Favorite Trail:   Dana Peak

Similar Products Used:   -Rock Shox MC 3.1

Bike Setup:   Haro Shift with all the goodies

Submitted by avbcon12 a Weekend Warrior from Phila, PA, US

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Works well once dialed in.

Weaknesses:    Along with the other negative reviews, these shocks (2.1,3.1.3.3,4.2) originally came with a faulty or loose air valve. Rockshox has fixed this issue now and will provide either a repair kit or a new shock. This should no longer be a negative since RS has fixed the issue, all you have to do is call them.

Bottom Line:
These shocks work well once the air valve is repaired. I do prefer the lockout levers on the higher models.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Submitted by JRK a Racer from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    The shock rebounds nicely, and with the gate full on it allows for stiff climbs.

Weaknesses:    The air stem valve is very awkward, the rebound adjustment knob is virtually impossible to adjust. My finger barely fits in the area provided. The gate adjustment is sketchy. You feel a difference only full on, or full off. Looses 30-50 lbs of air pressure after a day of hard riding.

Bottom Line:
If you plan on riding hard, and weigh over 190lbs, don't get this shock. For a light weekend warrior the shock will suit fine.

Favorite Trail:   All of Allamuchy

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike. Always rode a hardtail with Manny Nixon Elite front shock.

Submitted by Timbo83 a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    Good feel, compression and rebound works well

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, leaks air, swivel head shock pump connection work itself loose and leaks, came with little oil

Bottom Line:
Ive had this shock for 4 months now. I bought it as an upgrade from my 2006 Fox Float R. Installation and initial setup was very easy, aside from the rebound knob being very awkward to access, but it worked. After 3 short XC rides to run the shock in it developed a slow leak, losing about 10psi over 2 hours of XC riding. From their on it got progressively worse to the point where i would have to stop riding every 20min to pump it up again, otherwise it felt the bike felt heavy and sluggish. Rather than take up a warranty claim i took it to my local Rockshox rebuilder and upon opening up the shock it was found to have next to no oil left and the seals had therefore degraded and needed replacing. After it was fixed it then went another 12 weeks with no problems. In fact it ran like a dream. Then the swivel head that the pump connects to began to come lose and leaked so bad it wouldnt hold any air at all. That was fixed, but then the slow leak began again, and after a few rides it was losing 30psi every 45min. Ive now given up on this shock and on rockshox, and replaced it. I should have listened to my piers and stuck with another higher quality brand.....

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek