RockShox Bar Rear Shock

• Shaft Material: Steel
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2014

Strengths:    It does not lose air, cheap, works very well and have it from 2 years.

Weaknesses:    Can't find one.

Bottom Line:
I have use it on my bike from more then 2 years and i m very pleased by how it works and i had no problem with it, i've put some air 3 times in it. i have not use it for jumps so i can't say how much can resist there...but i think it wasn't made for jumps.

Submitted by VtVolk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, reliable, easy to dial in, great small bump sensitivity, still can handle the bigger stuff

Weaknesses:    Lacks full lockout, doesn't say "Fox" on it

Bottom Line:
This came stock on my Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0, and at before I pulled the trigger on the bike, I thought it was going to be one of the first things I upgraded. Now, after a year of hard riding, I have nothing but respect for the Bar. I thought I was gong to miss not having a full lockout option for long climbs, but once set up properly, there is virtually no pedal bob, even standing and hammering. Besides air pressure, the one adjustment is rebound, and this control makes an enormous difference in riding feel. I have it set to semi-slow rebound, and the shock is super plush on the rooty, rocky climbs I do, but still soaks up small bumps like a champ. On the down, it handles 2-3 foot drops, g-outs, and rock gardens as well as I could ask for. I weigh 200 and ride aggressively, and am not aware of ever bottoming the shock out. After getting my settings dialed in, it truly is a "set it and forget it" shock. It has been super reliable, doesn't lose air pressure, and simply does what it's supposed to do.

Submitted by ledzepbmxer a Weekend Warrior from illinois

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    price, ease of use

Weaknesses:    lack of options

Bottom Line:
whoever said they pumped this shock to 130 but they are 180 lbs and it bottoms out doesnt know how to use a rear shock. if you have the right air pressure in this thing and are looking for a cheap shock that still works well, this one will do the job

Favorite Trail:   john muir

Similar Products Used:   fox float, monarch 3.1, dhx 5

Bike Setup:   sette flite, not stock

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Lacombe, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    Takes drops very well

Weaknesses:    not such a good xc shock

Bottom Line:
Apparently junk on the fuel, but it works great on my Parker. i love hitting dirt jumps and what not, and it help a lot in landing. if you are looking for a shock that will help smooth out hard landings, i would recommend this shock.

Favorite Trail:   Red Deer

Purchased At:   came with the bike,

Similar Products Used:   none, just what came on my Canadian tire bike

Bike Setup:   Jamis Parker

Submitted by De La Sierra a Cross Country Rider from Poway, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2008

Strengths:    Relief from a hardtail

Weaknesses:    I can't tell the difference between the two settings

Bottom Line:
Mr Saiki from Haro invented the Virtual Line frame and chose this shock to go along with the frame. The Virtual-Rock Shox 2.1 combo relieved me from some serios neck and shoulder pain I was getting when riding my hardtail on anti-weekend warrior trails. I guess once you graduate from flat trails to more technical dirt, you're better off ditching the hardtail. The 2.1 was not a bad start for me. I have thrashed my new Haro Virtual frame-Rock Shox combo for over a month and have not serviced it yet... good stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail, Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Bike Empire, Poway

Bike Setup:   Haro Sonix with Virtual Line frame

Submitted by chris lindstrom a Cross Country Rider from kennesaw, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    can't hold air, bottoms out too easily.

Bottom Line:
this shock sucks. There's not enough travel, the thing bottoms out if you're 180 lbs plus. I ended up having to pump it to 130 psi so it wouldn;t bottom out, and it ends up not doing anything for me.

Favorite Trail:   stanley gap

Purchased At:   free flite bicycles

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 70

Submitted by mad max a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    reliable, dependable shock, got some potential in it
simple but adjustable
no wear after 7000 km (good riding conditions)

Weaknesses:    squeaking mounts in the first 1-2 months, solved
it could be more comfortable...(hey, it's cheap)

Bottom Line:
I got almost what I wanted with this damper (bike, exactly). Rear suspension is greatly increasing the comfort of ride, and this shock helps with it. Of course there is some bob present, does not soak every bump, but the difference between susp. and hard tail is overwhelming. It works perfectly when it has to deal with rather not sharp and big obstacles, landing from 50-60 cm is not a problem. You can still stick your a** to the saddle and it will go through rocks, steps, roots, but you will feel them and it's not for a job like this. One more thing, damping slows down at low temperatures, below -5 to -10 °C you got semi-full-suspension ;) (not a fault though)

Adjusting of Bar is easy and affects it - pumping up the + chamber makes shock harder (and bike higher), at maximum pressure you got almost hardtail with no bobbing. Rebound adj. also works well, from really slooooow return to very quick. I have ±8 atm. pumped (middle of range) and rebound fully open - nice riding with some "energy loss" b***s**t :)

I give rating 4/5 but it should be 4.5/5, this is a good stuff.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   Cube full suspension

Submitted by Adam D a Cross Country Rider from Victoria

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    low maintenance / no troubles. I usually forget about it.

Weaknesses:    See other reviews. probably does not adjust as accurately or move as smoothly as a high end shock.

Bottom Line:
I have had the same good experience as the rider from Bath, U.K. When buying my bike I asked my dealer if the cheaper shock would be a problem. He said with the Element suspension design it would not be. He was right. I am glad I did not pay an extra $1000.00 to get the Element 50 with Fox. I will spend the money to upgrade my front shock instead.

Purchased At:   Rebound Cycle, Canmore, AB

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 30

Submitted by Ash Kuehn from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Non expensive rear shock that does what it says it will

Weaknesses:    Broke withing 2 months

Bottom Line:
This shock works for what it is made for. Do not expect a smooth plush ride or a fast rebound. Im rating this shock poorly because the shock broke on me and I do not care for products that break within 2 months of buying. I started noticing the pressure going down and bought a shock pump to air it up. The shock would not hold air for 10 minutes, after a few times up pumping the air valve broke off. The good thing is Rock Shox is buying me a new one.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 70

Submitted by Colin a Weekend Warrior from Bath UK

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to set up and easy to maintain. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    I am on my second one of these. The first was a bit sticky which caused the bushings to wear out prematurely. It also used to make squelching noises. When I took it to my LBS to get the bushings replaced. They decided it was faulty and sent it to the distibutor who sent a new one back. The new one is smooth and quiet. The shock is not user serviceable.

Bottom Line:
I weigh about 175lb and run the shock at 160. The Rocky Element is essentially a bobless design so I don't require anything particularly sophistcated in terms of a shock.
I test Rode a Trek fuel70 and The BAR does not work well with the Trek frame design. It is a shame that the BAR is getting a bad rep beause of the TREK.
The BAR works just fine when matched to an appropriate frame design.The current incarnation the 2.1 is smooth. This is a good unsophisticated shock requiring only the simplest of maintainence(take out valve core and squirt in some fork oil once a month). Anything more than that requires that you get it serviced by the pros. If you want to do your own shock service then this shock is not for you.
Would I buy another one? Maybe. I'd like to try the cloud nine on the Element first.

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   RM 2004 Element30 with a with a reba race, fizik Gobi saddle, sram shifters and everything else stock.

Submitted by David Martin a Weekend Warrior from Ridgecrest, California, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    Compression cycle is nice, weight, no stiction, smooth ride, great for trailriding and some crazy stuff.

Weaknesses:    A few break-in problems (Slow air leak, really annoying squeak, came with no lubrication whatsoever, etc.) The only adjusment is air pressure, no anti-bob feature, rebound is kind of slow.

Bottom Line:
It works. All of the problems I've had were fixable and haven't been a problem since. Perfect for any trailrider/downhiller who is not made of money. I wouldn't buy it if I were thinking about racing cross-country (get the Bar Adjust instead, it has lockout). There is a bottoming resistance feature which is good for drops, and it has a rebound cycle if your worried about getting shot over the bars, you can fill it over 200psi and won't blow out. I've had some pretty hard landings that felt like jumping off a sidewalk. I'm not thinking about replacing it for a while.

Favorite Trail:   any tecnical, fast, downhill

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Bike Setup:   '05 Iron Horse Warrior Pro, 75mm stem, Answer alumilite bars

Submitted by RUSSELL ORRELL a Weekend Warrior from CANBERRA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2006

Strengths:    softens travelling over gutters , nothing else.

Weaknesses:    everything a shock should n't be. Trek cut corners to sell this bike using basement quality rear shock.

Bottom Line:
avoid disappointment avoid rox shocks My mtb racing associates use Fox shocks and don't complain about them. Going to buy a fox soon.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Majura

Purchased At:   Riide Shop

Bike Setup:   FUEL70 Replaced crappy fronManitous with Marzocchi shocks
XT driveline{replaced 8 speed gear}
Avid rim brakes Gobi saddle
Larson TT tyres Mavic rims

Submitted by tom a Weekend Warrior from pocono pa

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Very stiff, came stock on a Trek 70, hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
Came stock on Trek Fuel 70 I bought used. Fuel is great bike, other than the Rock Shox. Really tough to adjust, they tell you don't run it lower than 100psi...well at 100psi I have practically no travel (145 lbs). run a real low pressure to get travel the bike rides terrible on the flat. I have owned a Fuel before with a Fox shock and it was much easier to adjust. I am going to change the shock next spring. Rock Shox is a total piece of crap. I realize it's a low end shock but come on...it's just crap.