RockShox Bar Rear 2003 Rear Shock

DAMPING: Hydraulic
Adj:
BAR: none
BAR Adjust: Rebound

Submitted by joebiggen from bfe IL

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2005

Strengths:    Has held up under my big butt for over a year, smooth, low maintenance, so far so good.

Weaknesses:    No adjustments except for air pressure, leaks a little, but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
I've read all the reviews and have been waiting for it to crap out, but it hasn't happened yet. I do mostly aggressive XC with some urban thrown in, and I weigh over 200, so I wasn't expecting much longevity. Well, other than a minor slow pressure leak, it's doing ok. I've had it for just over a year and it has been totally bulletproof other than topping off the air pressure about once a month or so. Some adjustability would be nice, but sometimes simpler is better as well. It gets a little bouncy when running over 200lbs pressure, but is super-supple when it drops down to 175-180. If (and when) it craps out, I may go to stiffer coil-type, but it's still going strong for the time being. Not bad for OEM.

Favorite Trail:   Sheltowee

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   some cheapo- coils

Bike Setup:   stock Schwinn Rocket 1

Submitted by scott gregory a Cross Country Rider from germany

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    none yet

Weaknesses:    i don't know whats up with this thing, its my first dual susser and after filling it up (250) the first time and and sitting on it it holds for a second and then slowly collapses. what the #$%^!!!!!! took it to the bike shop and they said i'm too heavy for it (6.0, 218). doesn't sound right to me. anyone got any inputs that would help me out

Bottom Line:
pissed off, can't ride

Purchased At:   jenson

Submitted by Brian Dotson a Cross Country Rider from Concord, NC

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Reliable, smooth, adjustable on the fly

Weaknesses:    None seen yet.

Bottom Line:
This is the 04 model apparently as it came OEM on my Haro. But having read other's issues with the o3, I felt I had to review it - I've pounded this thing - and I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. No, I'm not doing 4' drops but I do ride it hard and have had no, 0, ZERO, NADA leakage. It's smooth, reliable, very little bob. To those who say it's bouncing really bad, adjust your preload on the fly, and be careful - slight adjustments make HUGE changes! A turn of the little red knob only one click can make the thing feel like a totally different shock! And air pressure makes a big difference as well. The manual says start with your wieght in air and then play around with it. I'm 240 and running 175lbs and it is sick how smooth this thing is! On a very rocky, rooty downhill today (the thing is 1/2 of a mile long and a 4 wheeler trail at a pretty steep descent) I hit 27 miles an hour and the shock was smooth and stable. I had to climb back out the same way I came in and even though the ground was slick (it had rained the day before and this is RED CLAY!!!) the rear wheel tracked great. This ius a great shock for the normal cross country rider. If you're a free riding wannabe, maybe not but for a fast reliable ride on rough terrain (not including housetops) this will do great!

Favorite Trail:   Beech Spring

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   GT I Drive OEM

Bike Setup:   2004 Haro XLS R5, Marzocchi Bomber fork, Avid Mech Discs, Velociraptor tires, Time ATAC Carbon pedals

Submitted by Nunya Same a Cross Country Rider from Modesto

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, easy to adjust, takes hits well.

Weaknesses:    Very bouncie, looses some air (+/- 10lbs) on long rides (30+ miles). Carry your pump!

Bottom Line:
This is an OK shock for someone starting out, the bouncing is getting to be a problem as I am starting to ride more technical stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Yeah, that one

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   GF Sugar

Submitted by Angela Edgar a Weekend Warrior from Lochwinnoch, Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Reliable and robust on the rebound. The factory setting was perfect for me so I've never had to adjust the travel.

Weaknesses:    None yet - though I'm a wee bit concerned with the other reviews.

Bottom Line:
So far the shock has been great fun - I've been testing it to the limit (well - my limits) for 9 months now and have no issues. Not too bouncy on the uphill slogs either.

I think the technical problems have been evaded as I'm only 130lbs. I'd recomend that the shock should be re-graded for lighweights only.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress - Deliverance

Purchased At:   Rik's Bike Shed

Similar Products Used:   None - 1st full susser

Bike Setup:   Scott G-zero Tango - Manitou Axel Comp forks (not too sure about their performance)

Submitted by MTBOutlaw a Weekend Warrior from Uranus

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    Ah non it $ucks

Weaknesses:    How about it won't hold air after 2 rides

Bottom Line:
Shock is dog $hit. I have riden on it twice and won't hold more than 50 psi of air. What $hit is this. I used to think sram (rock shox owner) produced good products but I see thats gone to bell. The guy who rated this shock a 5 must work for rock shox. Got love $hit quality and high prices.

Got 1's cause it won't let me score negs

Purchased At:   OEM on KHS 504

Submitted by Darrin a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I also got this shock on a 2003 Ibex Apogee XT.

Unfortunately it failed in the first week. I weigh 150 lbs and ran the shock at 150lb/sq-inch.

The pressure is maintained but the shock slowly rebounds less and less. At the end of a 3 hour ride, it takes about 40 mintues to rebound completely. Yet, it seems normal when bouncing on the bike for just a few minutes.

Favorite Trail:   Frick Park

Submitted by Charles Brewer a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    While it worked, it was OK.

Weaknesses:    It failed completely after 3 months. Went back got fixed, was refitted to bike and after half a mile on tarmac, it had collapsed again.

Bottom Line:
Not impressive. I'm not THAT fat (despite what my wife says when she's fed up with me - c 160lbs - me that is, not her), and not that aggressive on the bike (that's cowardice!).

This thing just failed twice.

Still the top of the range ETS-by-stealth makes another step forward ...

I've just been very lucky that:

1) I bought the bike from my local bike shop (Nirvana, Westcott)
2) Simon and Jackie (who own it) really look after their customers. They took full responsibility, got it fixed immediately (first time it failed) and sorted out a replacement (second time it failed)
3) It failed with only about 5 miles left to go the first time.

The moral? Buy software on the internet, and bikes from your local shop!

Purchased At:   Nirvana Cycles, Westcott

Similar Products Used:   None - yet

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETS X-30 plus Race face stem; Hope mini brakes, and by Friday a Fox Float rear shock ...

Submitted by Mike C. a Cross Country Rider from Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Light
Looks good
Good performance (so far)

Weaknesses:    None discovered yet

Bottom Line:
There aren't any reviews for this yet, so even though I haven't had it for very long, I thought it would be worth something to get out some end user feedback on it. I was very skeptical about this shock when ordering my bike since it is new for '03 and OEM only. Turns out, my fears were unwarranted. I can't speak for its longevity, but I can say that right now it works flawlessly. It holds air better than my tires by a long shot. The rebound adjustment works very well. Turn it towards the turtle to dial out almost all pedal bob, or towards the rabbit to make it squishier. Sure there are jazzier shocks out there, but you needn't fear if your bike comes stock with this unit. It does its job competently and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it. It's OEM only, so it must be cheap, right? So five smelly logs for value and five overall for the good performance. I'll ammend later if I change my mind.

Purchased At:   Came stock on Ibex Apogee XT