RockShox Bar Adjust Rear Shock

• Damping: Hydraulic with IFP
  • Adjust: Rebound
  • Shaft Material: Steel
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Submitted by mogsie a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    I put the bar air 2.1 shock on only as emergency cover as i had burst my coil over shock ! and still ride with it now! i have done 3 metre high step downs with it and it felt so smooth and comfortable ! much more than on smaller hits ! 2 years later and i still havent had a problem with it !

Weaknesses:    lack oc adjustment on the compression side ! not so smooth over small bumps !

Bottom Line:
still downhilling and freeriding on this shock and it serves me well ! dont feel the need to replace it with anything else yet !

Favorite Trail:   my own trails in my woods

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by Mike Zhang a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    Simple to use, adjustable rebounce, light weight

Bottom Line:
Simple, adjustable, light weight, low price, have little bob when climbing.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive

Bike Setup:   Comes with Cadillace All Mountain Bike AM2.4

Submitted by Bikerdom a Cross Country Rider from Milton, NH

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable, fairly light. This one has Neg.& Positive air. NEVER lost any air. All adjustments have worked flawless from day one.

Weaknesses:    Had to use a SID manual to learn about air pressure in neg. chamber. I couldn't find info on the neg. air in the BAR shock section manual anywhere. Plastic rebound adjuster knob.

Bottom Line:
This is for the dual air model. Shock came OEM on my daughters bicycle frame. Great OEM shock! My daughter is light so the Marzocchi Marathon SL paired w/ the BAR works great for dialing in that light weight riders ride. The negative air adjustment makes all the difference. Lots of my friends have had these on their bikes as they were a popular OEM spec around 2003. The only problems that most had was the soft/weak eyelet bushings on the mounts. Rock Shox/SRAM is quick to get you the replacements. We never suffered this bushing problem but those friends on some Rocky Mountain and Iron Horse bikes did after two months to two years of riding. For some reason they've stayed tight on the KHS XC504(maybe because it's single pivot?).

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   All types of Fox Floats from R's to AVA's, 5th Element Air, Manitou Swingers & Radiums, Cane Creek AD models

Bike Setup:   This is on my daughters bike KHS XC504. Jenson USA frame purchase. '04 Marzocchi Marathon SL, Full XT drive, Hayes Mags Hydro Disc brakes, MaxM Carbon post, RaceFace SyStem stem, Easton Monkeylite Carbon Riser bars, Mavic Crossroc Disc UST wheelset w/ Panaracer FireXC Pro UST tyres/tires, WTB SST '98 Ti saddle.

Submitted by Henio a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    very light

Weaknesses:    the first one died after 60 km, but the factory replaced it to anather.

Bottom Line:
this is budget unit, you can expect it rather on the stock equipment, because it,s very easy tu set - only blow the air. If you want smth more - buy another thing with double air regulation and other extras. But for the simply, daily use, one chamber closed is better - easy tu regulation and controll. It works fine, not very smooth of course. Better on the higher speed than to the slaw. The pressure keeps vell, to check it ones per month is enought.

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   gary fisher sugar 4+, lx shimano, manitou axel super. hayes nine hydraulic

Submitted by Ymmie a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Absolutely NONE.

Weaknesses:    Leaks ALL air within 15 minutes of riding.

Bottom Line:
The only good thing that happened with this shock is Rock Shox replaced it with a SID rear shock. It only gets 1 Chili because I can't go any lower.

Favorite Trail:   Muddy

Purchased At:   Came on KHS frame from JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID Rear

Bike Setup:   All XT drivetrain, XT discs, Sun Singletrack wheelset, Psylo fork.

Submitted by Bike A. Holic a Cross Country Rider from Parts Unknown

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been happy with my BAR Adjust shock. It's mounted on my KHS single pivot XC bike. I don't feel the need to upgrade to any kind of stable platform design. The shock does not leak and I only check it once a month. The shock does have a little stiction you start your ride. So I solve that with a squirt of TriFlow preride and it's just fine. I didn't expect much from this shock because of it's bad rep online. Now I wonder how many of those nay sayers have actually even ridden this shock. It's nothing fancy, but it works and has been reliable. So not much to say really, other than I am just going to keep on riding it.

Cannondale Jekyll - Adjust bar height?

I inherited a Cannondale Jekyll from a friend of mine. I cannot figure out how to adjust the bar height. It's a tad to aggressive for me. Since I am "new" back to the world of cycling I don't know anything about some of the technologies. I took a picture to show everyone what I have and see if I can ... Read More »

When to adjust the bar length?

I've got 3 rides each nearly 2 hours on my new SJ FSR Elite. Loving it so far, but the fit is sooo different than my approaching-vintage '93 hardtail. Question is, how long should I give it before I start cutting on the handlebars vs. getting used to the "modern" geometry My old bike had 22" bars, ... Read More »

Need help with a Rock Shox Bar Adjust

I weigh 195 lbs and I keep having probelms with the rear shock on my Sugar 4 +. The thing won't budge! The only way I can keep it from being like a brick is to lower the psi to around 60 which is way below what RS recommends. Is this safe? For newbie reasons (first fs) I keep it at the minum rec ... Read More »