RockShox Ario RL Rear Shock

• Shaft Material: Aluminum
  • Shaft Diameter: 9mm

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Strengths:    Nice smooth ride, good on the right bike but i wouldn't try hammering it off road constantly, for the money it makes a good shock for a sunday ride through the woods and over the bumpy stuff and does more than enough to make the ride smooth whilst your doing it, its also incredible easy to take apart, clean and refill the oil, so much so that my girlfriend did it herself after a demonstration of how to do it (I make her learn how to maintain her bike)

Weaknesses:    1. Reliability.
2. Rebound adjustment positioning.
3. Cost cutting failures.
Wouldnt trust it on the bigger stuff and reliability has proven to be an issue, its also very noisy and makes a sucking sound every time you go over a bump but this seems to have gotten better since i got rid of the crappy Rock Shox oil, put some decent 80wt gearbox oil in it instead (yes that oil is just rebranded cheap gearbox oil) and put threadlock on the threads of the air can to stop it leaking, yes it leaked from new by the looks of things, very very slow leak but I stuck the shock in a bucket of water because the pressure was dropping before it dumped its oil and after I rebuilt it and surprise surprise there were bubbles forming slowly around the air can thread.
My other gripe is that the adjustment dial has I think 20 clicks, way too much for such a basic shock and far more than anyone needs at this level but the worst bit about it is that the gap to adjust the dial is so small that I can hardly turn it and adjusting rebound is something that I dont want to have to do again, it actually gets painful after a while.

Bottom Line:
Came fitted to my girlfriends Specialized Myka FSR and she was over the moon with it until it decided to dump all the oil out of itself and the air passed over the internal seal 3 miles from home whilst we were sat on a bench and not even on the bikes, easily fixed and I dont know why tyrebyter said that its a throwaway because the oil is changed by unscrewing the air can by hand, worrying now about the shock collapsing again and now carry a shock pump with us incase it does it again, I havent replaced the seals because 1. It was a new shock 2. The seals are fine (I'm an engineer) 3. 50 pounds for a set of seals from TF tuned is rediculous and I will be sourcing them from elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. Overall I have to say that the faults of this shock are caused purely by cutting corners in assembly and if you do not have the skills to rebuild it and access to basic workshop items like threadlock and the right oil etc then it can turn out to be costly, so far if I hadnt had those things this shock would have set me back around another 20 pounds and if I hadn't had the knowledge it would have set me back around 30-50 pounds or maybe even more, if you dont have the skills or confidence required to rebuild a shock and do a proper job of it then spend the extra money on a more expensive shock to begin with, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Similar Products Used:   I have an older 2004 Fox Float RL Enduro on my bike which has never had a problem.

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Myka FSR

Submitted by tyrebyter a Cross Country Rider from albuquerque, nm, usa

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    light, simple, effective

Weaknesses:    no compression damping adjustment

Bottom Line:
I thought I was going to have to pitch this shock when I first bought the bike. It was harsh, harsh, harsh and couldn't hold a line to save it's life. Truly, a hardtail could hold the trail better. Then I fiddled with it and finally took it off and realized the eye bushings were seized. Pressed them out, polished the sleeves, put it all back together with some lubriplate and it turns out, this is one fine shock. It will control the trail chatter, sink the big hits, hold the line and keep things happy. Do wish it had a compression damping adjustment and there is no way to change the oil, so it is a throw-away, but I recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Favorite Trail:   sandia