Risse Jupiter-5R Rear Shock

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

The The Jupiter series of coil spring shocks are available in many sizes to fit most bikes. The Jupiter-5R, with its remote reservoir, provides maximum flexibility for both clearance and accessibility.

Submitted by Carl Carlson a Weekend Warrior from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Risse Company is horrible and they have the worst customer support ever. The Carleton FSAE Team was running Jupiter 7R's until they were found to be leaking, when sent back for a rebuild Risse just stopped answering calls, said the shocks were to be shipped backed. Received payment and never contacted us back for anything. RISSE RACING is the WORST COMPANY I'VE EVER DEALT WITH!. It has been 3 months of them ignoring e-mails and phone calls, with them possessing our 4 shocks sent for a rebuild as well as the money paid for this rebuild to happen. Even from the owner himself we got no response. I have lost all respect for this company and to aid to it, our back up set of dampers (more jupiter 7r's) have begun leaking as well.

Submitted by nick a Downhiller from california

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    its plush and looks kool and it fits my weight and oh yeah it has compression which is cool

Weaknesses:    well the rebound broke on it one time and because it was so fast that it snapped the piston screw when i landed a 11 footer.

Bottom Line:
the shock is good while working the guys at risse took care of me when my shock broke (dave ur the man) but i like my 5th element cause its beefier and feels like my risse its onlt about a pound lighter. so if u dont have a 5th element or anything like that than buy a risse cause if u have a rc or somthin its worth it

Favorite Trail:   boondocks northstar

Purchased At:   risse racing

Similar Products Used:   5th element el jefe etc

Bike Setup:   2003 intense m1, now i putt on my 5th element cause my risse felt weird, umm gazzolodi,etc

Submitted by Lexx D a Downhiller from NY

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    Plush Plush Plush!!!

Bottom Line:
It rocks. I hated my bike until I bought this shock. Daniel(at risse) is the man!! I've landed a$$ first off 10+ footers(my foot slipped) and this shock kept me from rolling down a steep ski run end over end(perfect 10 if you've ever been to plattekill). It feels like a avalanche jr., save your money and buy a risse!!!

Favorite Trail:   splatterkill

Purchased At:   My shop

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden most all shocks

Bike Setup:   bb7,shiver

Submitted by dan from chicago

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2004

Strengths:    Risse will customize your shock not only for the length from eye to eye, but also the proper bushings. Tell them the type of riding you do (trail, dh, freeride, huck)and they will set up the shock accordingly. Great service, and very friendly.......

Weaknesses:    I have not experienced any yet. The shock actually is working better with time and break in. No bottoming on this shock.....WOOO HOOO

Bottom Line:
Great shock... Great people at Risse, and very helpful. Rebuilding the shock is very innexpensive in case you have any problems.... I have never had any. I upgraded from an 7.875" x 2.3 stroke to a 8" x 2.5 storoke, and it gives the bike more travel, and everyone loves more travel. Great product, Great company, Great customer service. Get this shock!!

Favorite Trail:   city riding

Purchased At:   direct from risse

Similar Products Used:   Romic, Fox vanilla RC, Stratos

Bike Setup:   Super 8, Monster T, Atom Lab wheels, Profile Cranks,the works from top to bottom, nothing was spaired

Submitted by Nathan a Downhiller from Folsom

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    Air assist for compression, larger piston, remote resevior,
excellent customer service

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I work at a shop so I got a killer deal but would pay retail if I had to.Besides giving me an extra inch of travel it works killer.
I went up to thier factory with my buddy that needed his Risse Bigfoots worked on and spoke with Daniel about getting a new shock for my RM9. All he needed to know was the eye-to-eye and the stroke length and bushing width of my FOX shock to build me one. The next day I called him up around 10:30-11 in the morning and told him the dimensions of my FOX and he asked me if I could fit a shock with a 1/4" longer eye-to-eye fit the frame and it can so now my bike gets an extra inch of travel. The next day I went to work and when the UPS guy came buy around 10 my shock was in the box ready to go. I went from the stock eye-to-eye length of 7.75" to 8" and stock stroke length of 2.25" to 2.5". and with a 4 to 1 compression ratio it now gives my bike 10" of travel!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Murders

Purchased At:   Risse Racing

Similar Products Used:   FOX Vanilla RC(total poo)

Bike Setup:   2002 RM9 with all the goodies (check it out in the dream bike section, name: RM10)

Submitted by jason dew a Weekend Warrior from ann arbor

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    super burly. well built. hasn't blown up yet. compression and rebound adjustment. smooth travel

Weaknesses:    one of the brass fittings on the remote line has developed a slight crack. this may be caused by the way i had it mounted originally but i think this product sound be able to take the amount of abuse i subject it to

Bottom Line:
installation of the reservoir was tricky on the Enduro frame. 8"x2.25" (7.625x2 stock) increased my total travel to about 6" from 5.2" without substantially changing angles. shock feels good. i have no complaints.

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Fox products

Bike Setup:   2002 Enduro substantially built up for FR/XC use. yea i know it sounds wierd but i can only afford one bike right now.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Woodinville WA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    Amount of adustability, only company willing to build this shock for me. i weigh 230lbs and i needed the piggy back but because of the frame i run i need the remote setup. bordie said don't do it but i said to hell with it. the frame now gets about 9.5in of travel in stead of 8. BURLY

Weaknesses:    none yet. i did bend a part but that was my fault.

Bottom Line:
Basically if you are riding a brodie 8 ball this is the sweetest setup for you. it totally kills the fox shock that comes stock by allowing that piggy back to be on the bike. another nice things is i picked up the air valve kit for it so you can mess with the compression even more that before. easy to install too. the best part overall is the fact that the frame now gets close to 10in of rear travel. all you do is go from a 7.875in i2i with 2in stroke to the risse jupiter 5r with 8in i2i and 2.25in stroke. doesn't change any angles and it gives you crazy amounts of travel. if you have questions on it email me and i will be glad to help you out.

Favorite Trail:   exit 38 for now

Purchased At:   RISSE Direct

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla r, stratos helix expert, helix pro, rcr t2

Bike Setup:   Brodie 8 ball, race face, xtr, hayes, jr-t d321. blah blah blah

Submitted by Eric G a Downhiller from Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth action, Remote resivoir allows me to adjust compression on the fly, EIbach spring,Nice machining, Spring rate adjuster is beefier and will never bend due to bottoming. Bushings have a nice interface between eyelets

Weaknesses:    None, Rarely do you see problems with Risse products

Bottom Line:
I am extremely pleased with the performance of the risse jupiter 5 r. Although my bike did not need the remote resivoir it was a nice feature to have under the seat tower for on the fly compression adjustments. I was pleased with previous shocks tested such as the ones listed above especially the manitou and rock shox and although other people didnt give these shocks great reviews, i liked them and they worked extremely well for me. I maintenced them though . By far Risse has gone over my expectations of producing a decent shock. Its superb and changed the characteristics of my bike. Ive had absolutely no problems with seals and i think risse has a customer for life outta this shock.

Favorite Trail:   TE