Risse Genesis Rear Shock

4.26/5 (58 Reviews)

Lightweight and simple, the Genesis is the beginning of our suspension upgrades. The Genesis utilizes an air spring with oil damping, and is custom tuned for you and your bike. Models are available to fit nearly every suspension bike made. Give your bike the shock it deserves.

Submitted by bm a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Strengths:    excels all others in warranty, greater than all and one for all!

always know your equipment!

Weaknesses:    like all others has a time and date stamp'

Bottom Line:
good deal for the BUCK!!

Favorite Trail:   fox hollow, big sky MT

Similar Products Used:   90% 25 yrs field testing.

Bike Setup:   tuned for the ride~

Submitted by s_hield a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    stiff, light, rebound dampening, customer service.

Weaknesses:    none, except it's kind of pricey.

Bottom Line:
I had to buy one of these when my OEM Stratos XC Pro failed after 10 + years on my Dean Duke. The Stratos company was apparently put out of business by Specialized in a patent dispute, so it could not be rebuilt. Risse Genesis was literally my only option since DEAN has a special fitting at the seat stay and Risse machines that design.
Once ordered the shock arrived in a week. I rode it for a couple of months before it started leaking oil and air pressure. Sent back to Risse for a warrantee rebuild on a Thursday and it returned the following Monday! No kidding! Re-installed and it's been fine now for 2 seasons, no problems. Thanks to their Customer Service for a timely rebuild!
This shock has no adjustments except air pressure, which works fine for set it and forget it types like me. I weigh 162 and ended up with about 100 PSI in it. It's never traveled more than 3/4 of an inch, even on big jumps. The rebound dampening works really well and the shock noticeably stiffened up the rear, which makes it for great for steep climbing with no pogo. An improvement overall from the OEM Stratos XC Pro (5 flaming chile's overall). My only gripe is that when the trail is dry and dusty, the seal squeaks. Wipe it clean and it stops.
At $198 the price was kind of hard to swallow (4 flaming chile's for value), but all in all I'd say it's worth it, especially considering the customer service and how well it works.
Overall a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Windsor Trail, Santa Fe Natl. Forest

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons 3-5 times a week.

Purchased At:   RisseRacing.com

Similar Products Used:   Stratos XC Pro

Bike Setup:   DEAN Ti Soft Tail, Manitou Drake 100mm Super Air Absolute.

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Custom valved for me, specific to Santa Cruz Tazmon.

Weaknesses:    Shaft unthreaded from shock body which of course
resulted in loss of air and oil. This was a direct result of
no threadlocker being used during assembly.

Bottom Line:
I'd like it better if it did what it was supposed to do without failing...

Similar Products Used:   Risse Astro 5 which this replaced.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon, XT/XTR, Raceface, Blackspire, Chris King etc.

Submitted by Nick Lehner a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    Stiffer laterally than Noleen shock, only company I could find that made a shock for my bike, damping rate seems good for my weight, light.

Weaknesses:    First one leaked oil, "air" noise when suspesnion strokes, seller communication.

Bottom Line:
The original Noleen NR2 rear shock started leaking oil, and eventually lost all damping. I purchased a rebuild kit, but it quickly started leaking again (perhaps installation error on my part). I gave up, and Risse was the only replacement shock that I found for my old bike. They have applications for many bikes, which is awesome.

They are VERY difficult to communicate with, but once you actually get in touch with them, they are very helpful, and you will get your product immediately. They often don't respond to emails, or voicemails, but if you call back and catch someone to answer the phone, you will get service.

The first shock that they sent me worked great, but started leaking oil after a few rides. Once I got in touch with them (had to call a few times), they sent me a new shock ASAP, no questions asked. It came very quickly, and included return postage for the old one, so I didn't have to go without a shock for any time (just rode on the leaking one until the new one came).

I rode on the new one for a few months with no problems, but recently purcahsed a new bike, so I probably won't be riding it enough to give a long-term durability test.

Compared to the old Noleen, the damping feels much better suited to my weight/riding, and the bike feels more stable. The shock is also much stiffer laterally than the old one. With the Noleen, you could grab the shock with your hand and there was quite a bit of play. Also, the Risse has a longer taper fitting into the swingarm, which also probably helps. The installation bolt that they sent did not fit, but I was able to re use the old one.

I don't regret getting the cheap model, as I don't think I need to adjust the damping much (Risse set it up well to match my weight), or use the lockout feature of the higher-end models.

The only down-sides of the new shock are that it seems to stick a little if the bike is sitting for a while, but it loosens up the first few strokes of the suspension. Also, it makes a whooshing noise when you go over bigger bumps (fast compression/rebound), but you get used to it. This was my first air shock, but I think it's not uncommon.

I rated 4 Chilis for value. There doesn't seem to be a lot to this shock, but being that it's all CNC machined, and they can't make a very high volume of shocks for a Pro-flex, the price seems fair.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Purchased At:   Risse website

Similar Products Used:   Noleen NR2, Specialed Brain.

Bike Setup:   '98 K2 Pro-flex 3000, Noleen front fork/shock.

Submitted by Marquis a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    Works great right out of the box. Simple, with few things to mess with or break. Good customer service.

Bottom Line:
This shock totally transformed this sweet old V-Link that I picked up dirt cheap. I asked Risse to set it up for "aggressive XC" and it is really perfect for that. Great uphill with very minimal bob, without messing with a lockout. Really a fun, fast bike with this shock.

When I first got the shock it had valve setup that didn't work very well with the V-Link's linkage. I had to unbolt the shock to get to the valve. I sent Risse some pictures, they had me send it back and they put a different valve body on that solved the problem.

Risse are good guys and build a great product. They're a little slow and sometimes say they'll send something that doesn't actually get done when they say, but it's worth the wait. Very custom setup at a fair price.

Purchased At:   Risse direct

Similar Products Used:   Many other RockShox, Fox, Marz, etc.

Bike Setup:   98 Diamondback V-Link 3.0

Submitted by Stevo a Weekend Warrior from Portland,Or.

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Strengths:    Light,It works

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Back in the day,this is what GT was dreaming about.A 26lb.STS.The Risse shock saves like a half a pound or something.BUT!It works so much better than the Rock Shox,it's a joke!This bike has been relegeted to street use.And the Hookworm tires bring the bike back to 29lbs.Soooo freeking smooth!I'm really tempted to put mt.tires on it and ride it on the trail again.I did put needle bearings in the lower main pivot and cleaned and greased the rest.Bike is better than new after 7 years.
Anybody still hanging onto your old LTS/STS must have this shock.When you contact Risse,don't lie about your weight.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Risse

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Super DeLux(on this bike)

Bike Setup:   '97 GT STS,Magura rim brakes(new)Sid World Cup carbon,FSA carbon cranks,Mavic CrossMax Enduro,Sram X-9

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Bridgeton

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    Compression and rebound set perfectly out of the box. No need for adjusters. Just set the air pressure and leave it alone.

Weaknesses:    Can't get to the air valve without unbolting the top mount, but this is due to my frame design

Bottom Line:
This shock works great right out of the box. Risse sets the damping based on info that you provide about weight and riding style. I set the air pressure and didn't have to touch it for 2 years of heavy use. After 2 years, it developed a leak around one of the metal to metal joints. I had some trouble reaching someone at Risse, but once I talked to someone the handled the problem right away. They fixed it and returned it to me at no charge. I agree with Brad that anyone riding a K2 5000 should get one of these shocks. It is so much better than the stock shock that you will think you're riding a different bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Similar Products Used:   K2 Smart shock, Cane Creek AD10

Bike Setup:   K2 5000 Frame, Marzocchi Bomber fork, Risse Gensis shock, Race Face crankset, XT shifters, XTR derailleur

Submitted by Jared Raynes a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, it actually fits my bike. Feels so much better than the old rockshox delux that was on my bike.

Weaknesses:    Well its a little strange but i pumped it up, then it lost air, so i pumped it up again, and it was fine, then pumped it up to 200psi on friday, and it was flat my monday.

Bottom Line:
When i first put the genesis on, it was amazing. but its strange that it seems to lose air, maybe its because i weigh 220pounds and like to do jumps? but really shouldnt be so hopefully i will get it sorted, i will post an update soon because i will have a shock pump tomoro. But it is a very promising shock for my old bike which makes it seem like new.

Favorite Trail:   victoriaPark

Purchased At:   Risse

Similar Products Used:   CRAPPY rockshox delux, what a piece of s#$T.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS, polished frame, Z1 bomber freeride on the front, 8inch hydro disk front, mavic D521 rims front and rear XT front and rear, 2.7inch front maxis and 2.5inch rear maxis. and new travel clips from GOLDTEC, if you need parts for your LTS try these guys. yeah sweet

Submitted by velociped jones a Racer from bflo

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Strengths:    economy, reliability, not ev'ryone has one,

Weaknesses:    the people at risse may not be the best commumicators but at least they answer the phone and deliver the goods

Bottom Line:
kicks arse.

Favorite Trail:   don valley

Purchased At:   risse.com

Similar Products Used:   manitou

Bike Setup:   xt, marzochi maratathon, mavic, dt, selle italia, ritchey pro,

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from AZ

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    Simplicity and light weight. Works very well, plush, controlled. High value.

Weaknesses:    Sweet spot setting 10 psi wide and hard to hit given it loses 20-30 when the pump is unscrewed.

Bottom Line:
This is the best shock I've owned. It works just as advertised. Customer service was superb. I ordered my shock at 5pm on a Thursday and had it on the bike less than a week later -- so I don't feel the customer service slams in some of the messages below reflect the current reality. The shock fit, and worked, right out of the box. There is less bob, more control, more plushness, and better rebound damping than any shock I've used. Anyone riding a K2 5000 should upgrade today.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell park

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Noleen, Rock Shocks

Bike Setup:   K2 5000 with Manitou Super air 120 fork

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Leominster, MA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Strengths:    Quality of build, low stiction, perfectly set up rebound.

Weaknesses:    Risse customer interface.

Bottom Line:
I used this shock on my '99 FSR, as part of an upgrade to it. Out of the box, the only issue was the shrader valve was loose. The rebound was dialled in perfectly for the info I supplied Risse with over the phone. This shock transformed the bike. It lifted the bottom bracket almost an inch, and the bike was an unbelievable rock garden ride. I've since bought a 2004 FSR, but may keep this bike just for rock gardens and light freeride.

The only complaint I have with Risse is their communications. They are very hard to deal with. They don't answer emails or return phone calls. I have a feeling that if you're a big racing client this is different. Kind of strange, they're very small and informal, but if you're the little guy, you don't get their time. I called them after getting the new bike to ask about modifying the shock to fit it, and the tech told me he was in another call and would call me back in 10 minutes, never to be heard from again. I still have an outstanding email of the same subject out.

Favorite Trail:   Leominster SF, Vietnam

Purchased At:   Direct from Risse

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R

Bike Setup:   99 FSR Enduro

Submitted by Jason Dreggs a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    I dont know

Weaknesses:    They wont sell me one

Bottom Line:
I would like to purchase on of these shock's to suit my
Litespeed.
But Risse are not replying to my email
I received one of them saying that they still had these in stock and that they were US$198.00.
Can some one point me to another supplier of these shocks,please.......
my email is Dreggs@next.com.au
thank you for your time.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   not yet

Similar Products Used:   the clunky heavy coil shock

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed FS 1996 ( B3 Rear end )

Submitted by D a Cross Country Rider from Sac area, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    Reliablity. Keeps pressure. Incredible customer service.

Weaknesses:    ZERO

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock about a year ago and until my ride last Saturday it worked flawlessly. I'm on the heavier side (185 lbs) and going from the stock coil that was too weak to the Genesis was quite a shock, no pun intended. I do a lot of climbing and put 210 lbs of pressure into it and it's as close to a lock out as you can get and still be comfortable. Saturday, however, it sounded like metal against metal on the rebound. It still worked, but just wasn't right. I called them Monday morning and they told me to send it to them so they could have a look, which I did. They called me Tuesday afternoon to tell me there was a small problem that was fixed (I think it was a slipping stop of some sort, but I only understand works and don't work) and that there would be no charge for the fix or the oil replacement. I got the shock back today, wednesday, and took it for a ride. It's as good as new. This is their bottom of the line air shock too, but it made no difference. I wish every company in and out of the bike industry was as reliable and honost to their product as the guys at Risse. 'At a boy Risse!

Purchased At:   direct from Risse

Similar Products Used:   Stock coil that came on the bike

Bike Setup:   1998 Specialized FSR Comp

Submitted by Nick M a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Strengths:    The only reason my obsolete frame is still in service and rolling fast.

Weaknesses:    No one knows about it.

Bottom Line:
Risse is one of the most overlooked names out there. I put a Genesis air shock on my Amp rear triangle many years ago and haven't looked back. It has been really solid. It's the most basic model and has no adjustability, but I have never ever encountered anything like "unexplained deflations" that some other brands seem to. Most of the time I don't even check the air pressure in it. It simply never needs it. I'll pump it back up after 5-6 really hard rides just to keep it dialed in. On my leisurely cruise rides it has almost been "set it and forget it." I can let the bike sit for a month and it wont leak down either. Stiction is present to a minimal degree, but nothing like the loser SID shocks I have encountered. Risse is expensive, but from my experience has been fully worth it.

It is pretty stiff and really progressive rate, but it's an XC bike after all. It soaks up the big hits and leaves me alone the rest of the time. I also like the fact that I bought it 6-7 years ago, and can still get another one or send it back for new seals. They still make it, even for an obsolete frame. It weeps a little oil, but not a significant amount by any means.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore