Progressive Suspension 5th Element Air Rear Shock

2.9/5 (129 Reviews)

• Lightest aftermarket shock on the market - SUB 200 grams, for the 6.5” eye to eye length.
  • Uses 5th Element™ CV/t™ (Control alve Technology) as used in the 5th Element™ coil shock.
  • Adjustable Platform Damping™ eliminates need for a lock out system as used in other shocks.
  • Adjustable rebound damping allows for refined traction and handling capabilities.
  • Spherical ball joints in both mounting eyelets insure smooth action & improved durability, even on commonly found misaligned frame mounts.
  • Lowest compression ratio allows for more usable travel.
  • CV/t™ and a new technology air spring piston utilize the industries lowest air spring pressures for an incredibly smooth ride and long seal life.

Submitted by chair_is_the_man a Downhiller from NZ auckland

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    light

Bottom Line:
great for
: trails
: road gaps
: DJ's
: DH
i recommend this product to some one who is no more than 80kg. i'm 59kgs but my frend rides my bike alot and hes about 95-100kgs
all over great
but not as good as Fox DHX air

Favorite Trail:   air field DJ's

Purchased At:   torpedo7

Similar Products Used:   fox DHX air

Bike Setup:   specialized:big hit(spec)
specialized:p2

Submitted by MCMickey a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    Nice colour, Very cheap(you get what you pay for)

Weaknesses:    Valves are weak and bend easily, paintwork is shocking and comes off quickly, does not hold pressure for more than fifty feet.

Bottom Line:
This is a real pile of $H%T, It completely blew on a very mild single track two foot jump, don't even consider this shock unless they give you an unlimited supply of replacements!

Favorite Trail:   Tokai MTB

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP3

Bike Setup:   All mountain

Submitted by Mike Reynolds a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Schrader inflation valves diameter undersize,tons of pedal bob,loses air after a 1 fooy drop

Bottom Line:
I have 2 of these shocks both have failed,5th element replaced the first shock with no fuss, The inflation valve threads are very poor fit,so much so i have to use ptfe tape in order to reach the max pressure..

Favorite Trail:   Peak District

Bike Setup:   Enduro Expert

Submitted by Larry Monas a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    Wide range of adjustability (when it was working!)

Weaknesses:    Not robust at all! After about 1 year of weekend riding the thing won't hold air and the negative airspring does almost nothing. I understand progressive is out of the MTB biz and they aren't really supporting this flimsy product. After e-mailing them I was told a rebuild would be $150. I'm saving the dough for a FOX RP3.

Bottom Line:
I got a few rides of excellent performance, but that good feeling has faded now that my suspension is sub par and I'm probably going to have to shell out around $300 for a FOX. I would avoid this shock.

Favorite Trail:   All of em

Purchased At:   Colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox, Marzocchi, Manitou,

Bike Setup:   2004 Blur, XT, FOX Talas, Mavic wheelset,

Submitted by Robert Molan a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane,Qld,Australia

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    dont know it failed before first ride

Weaknesses:    both air chambers leak - cannot ride more then 20 meters without total deflation.

Bottom Line:
just doesnt hold air pressure

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Chainreaction cycle

Similar Products Used:   nil first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   Mountain cycle zen, Marzochhi XC700 forks, Mavic Crosstrail with IRC Serac UST tyres, Shimano XTR brakes and mechs, raceface deus cranks,Xpedo Mountain Force pedals

Submitted by Phill Jung a Cross Country Rider from Piermont, NY 10968

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight

Bottom Line:
I never really got it. The 5th element has always worked wonderful for me. I'm not hucking my bike, but I tend to really beat on it and the shock has never given me a single problem in the last two years. The shock got nothing but stellar reviews when it came out. You can pick one up new for next to nothing because of the negative reviews left on MTBR and I would highly recomend doing so.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many

Purchased At:   came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   Pushed Fox Fork, Heckler, Race Face, Avid disk

Submitted by Patrick from Morgan Hill

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, IFP compression adjustment really works, makes pedaling uphill a breeze.

Weaknesses:    Hard to set IFP pressure as the volume is so small. 3 pumps and you are maxed. You lose about 25psi when you take off the chuck.

Bottom Line:
This shock came with the frame which I got super cheap on Ebay brand new. First off progressive put the wrong valve cores in the schrader valves. They were too short so the shock pump would not register when attached. I filed down the outer lip of the valve so the core would be in the right place. Problem solved for 0 dollars.The shock has worked as it should but I find any IFP pressure at all ruins small bump compliance. Just not happy with the feel. I am replacing it with my old AD5 which I had leftover from a broken frame. Cane Creek is sending me the correct bushings for $20 and the AD5 is plush and the easiest shock to work on in the world.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Came with Frame

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP3, Cane Creek AD5

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Zen XC Setup

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from tn

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    everything about this shock is a weakness.

Bottom Line:
P.O.S.

Purchased At:   came on my bike

Bike Setup:   2006 Iron Horse Azure World Cup

Submitted by ken cockrum a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Came with Intense Spyder Free.
5 grams lighter than fox r3? who gives a S#!+.

Weaknesses:    Not A Fox.
Leaked Oil after 5 rides, hard to keep air pressures up. Makes weird noises going downhill, sounds like a Dying seal.

Bottom Line:
Works great if you are the type to buy a bike and ride it once, but if you plan on using your bike at all, replace this shock immediately or upgrade the frame before purchasing.
15 years of buying high end bikes and bike components tells me that Proggresive is getting away with selling CRAP!

Favorite Trail:   denver front range, all

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first full susp. bike

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Thompson, Fox talas rlc front, V-brakes

Submitted by martin foat from kent, england

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Weaknesses:    not sturdy enough

Bottom Line:
ok so im riding trails rockier and bumpier in majorcian sunshine but it must be a design fault of how the piston is attatched to the pivot pins,whilst riding along the street and turning right i heard i clunk noise on inspection the front pivot point was clean out off its poor excuse for a housing having what seems 2 'o' holding it in the centre,so unless im missing 4,'front and back' substantial parts to keep the piston in place i cannot believe the good reviews this probuct has recieved

Favorite Trail:   palma majorca

Favorite Trail:   palma majorca

Bike Setup:   santa cruz sl

Submitted by Mark Burkholz a Cross Country Rider from Menomonee Falls, WI,53051

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I brroke neg air stem off. My mistake. I called Progressive to see about repair. They gave me an RA # and rough estimate of cost to repair. I sent it in and what do you know? Two weeks later it arrived as e-mail resonse indicated it would. No Charge! I don't know if you nay sayers didn't follow the simple instructions or if progressive improved C.S. but I'm totally stoked on them. Plus the shock is the baddest, lightest X.C. shock going. Keep up the great work!

Favorite Trail:   John Muir/EmmaCarlin

Purchased At:   E Bay

Submitted by neil from scotland

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    This shock came stock on my Iron Horse hollowpoint. I bought the bike nervous I would soon have to replace the shock having seen many negative reviews on here. So far so good though. I've ridden maybe 3 times a week for the best part of a year, mostly trail type riding with a bit of light freeride stuff and (cowardly) downhill chucked in for good measure. I'm not doing anything bigger than maybe a 4t drop but I do a lot of things of that sort of size on the daily rides.

During this time the shock has operated perfectly with no servicing at all, it holds pressure as set and has never lost any when I've checked it - still rides like new today. I don't know if there was one bad batch, or I got lucky, but (so far) mine has been excellent - no complaints.

The IFP chamber really works well too - it took me a bit of jigging with the pressures but it now smooths out what little pedal bob made it through the bikes linkage while still feeling super smooth on the descents.

And it's light.

Weaknesses:    ??? Maybe it'll suddenly break....

Bottom Line:
While I would be very scared to spend money on this thing - given that many people seem to have had them blow up - I can't fault mine, it's been excellent so far, seems reliable, plush and durable. Would I buy another one though - not sure..... the horror stories would probably send me fox's way despite how good mine has been. ratings below are assuming you get lucky and get a good one like mine.

Similar Products Used:   Nowt.

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Ellensburg, WA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    It looked good on the bike. IT felt great for the first few weeks. Adjustments were made easly. Soaked up all the bumps.

Weaknesses:    For the first few days it worked great. Then it would not hold air in one of the chambers. The next day it did hold air, but after a long hard ride neither chamber seemed to function properly. The small chamber (ib) would hold 0 pounds of pressure, while the larger one would only hold about 40 ibs of pressure.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on the 05 enduro expert from specialized. Over all its a great bike, except when it comes to the rear shock. This is my second specialized bike and I am dissapointed that they would allow a bad shock which is know for problems to be sold on their bikes. So far my bike has spent more time in the shop then at my own house. Hopefully when I get the shock back it wont go to crap. If it does I hope that specialized will make it right and give me a different shock for my bike. But if not I will take by buisness somewhere else.

Favorite Trail:   Freud Canyon